hariph creek
January 2, 2013, 06:34 PM
I'm looking to get another pump 12 gauge, in a "riot" configuration. Thinking of also getting a cantilever, rifled slug barrel, too. I'd like whatever sighting system I use, to stay with the barrel.
I could go Red Dot, I suppose? Meh...

I'd rather go with iron sights. Ghost Ring preferred, "Express" sights being the only option I'd consider. If I go with express sights, I'll just get a rifled barrel with rifle sights.

But...I really like aperture or ghost ring sights. Since I don't want a receiver mounted rear sight. I was thinking of using one of (for instance) XS's backup sights, that mounts directly to the cantilever rail. I could use either a traditional ramp (drilled, tapped, mounted by me). Or, a barrel band style, not my first choice.
I can get a raised, detachable, cheek piece for the stock I'm using. So that cheek weld/alignment, hopefully, shouldn't be a problem?

Any thoughts/experience/advise?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cantilever...sights...ideas?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
January 2, 2013, 06:41 PM
Sounds like a real bad idea to me.

A ghost ring or aperature sight needs to be back closer to your eye on the receiver to work right.

And that also gives you a longer sight radius for better accuracy.

Putting one on top of a cantilever scope mount barrel would require something like an AR-15 front sight to be high enough to zero it.

hariph creek
January 2, 2013, 07:14 PM
I see you're point. Kind of what I was worried about.

XS has that aperture back up sight, that barely rises above the mount.
I'd been hoping that would be low enough.
Seems it would still be quite a bit lower, over all, than a red dot on a cantilever?

I'll send an email over to XS, see what they say?

Andrew Wyatt
January 2, 2013, 07:25 PM
the canteliever mounts go about as far back as the scope mount holes on a mossberg 500, and the factory GR sight mounts in those holes. you should be good.

I'd reccommend something like the LPA BAR11W for the rear sight, though.

January 2, 2013, 09:22 PM
Try a long eye relief barrel mounted scope....

hariph creek
January 3, 2013, 12:58 AM
A.W. Thanks I'll look into it.

Rembrandt, if I go with optics I'm going Red dot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cantilever...sights...ideas?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!