Liver of sulfer

PDA

kBob
January 2, 2013, 09:02 PM
Has anyone had any actual experience using Liver of sulfer to blacken a brass revolver frame?

Anyone ever try to MG Coat a Brass revolver frame?

Just thinking......again. Seems I never learn the dangers of it.

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "Liver of sulfer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J-Bar
January 2, 2013, 09:38 PM
I tried to deliberately "age" a Winchester 1866 (brass reciever) with liver of sulfur but did not get good results. Maybe I didn't do it right.

I was able to get some aging effect on brass with Birchwood Casey's quick blue solution, diluted with tap water and painted on strategic spots with a Q-tip. Another thing to play with is Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown solution, again diluted with water and applied with a Q-tip. This can give a rosy hue to the brass.

You might also try burning some black powder in a dish, making a slurry with water, and painting it onto the surface you want to age. Blackpowder ash left on a brass surface for a while will darken it for sure. Look at the brass from a blackpowder cartridge!!

72coupe
January 2, 2013, 09:41 PM
Birchwood Casey sells stuff in a bottle for blackening brass. A friend of mine uses it to blacken the bottom of his 223 cases so no one at the rifle matches picks them up.

red96ta
January 3, 2013, 02:08 AM
When I was a kid and would drive a tractor to sulfur the vines, my dad gave me an Old Timer knife and told me to use it to open the 50lb bags of sulfur. After cutting the first couple bags open, the carbon blade and nickel bolsters were dead black. I'm not sure if it would work with brass but it's worth a shot. I would just make a thick paste out of some sulfur and apply it to the brass for a couple minutes to see what it'll do...of course, take the brass off the gun or you'll have a good chance of turning the other metal black as well.

AJumbo
January 3, 2013, 07:30 PM
I used some BP and some Hoppe's BP solvent to make a paste, then applied it with a soft cloth and q-tips. The brass turned a nice mellow brown. Your results may vary due to the strength of your paste, the actual composition of the brass, how well it's polished, etc.

xXxplosive
January 4, 2013, 10:20 AM
Yup.....Liver of Sulfer will do it.....first you have to ensure that the brass material has no coatings of any kind on it and also depending on the copper content in the material......then you can apply the LOS if you can stand the smell and the buff with very fine steel wool for the desired effect...

If you enjoyed reading about "Liver of sulfer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!