45 lswc with universal question

PDA

airgun
January 2, 2013, 09:56 PM
hello I is there any load data for 185gn lswc bullets and hodgdon universal clays powder for 45acp . I cant seem to find one on the net. any info would be great

airgun

If you enjoyed reading about "45 lswc with universal question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
January 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
The Hodgdon Load Data Site (http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp) has data for a 200gr LSWC bullets. You can use their data as a starting point.

Sport45
January 3, 2013, 01:25 AM
They also have data for a 180gr LFP. I'd start with the "start" load for that one.

ArchAngelCD
January 3, 2013, 04:56 AM
They also have data for a 180gr LFP. I'd start with the "start" load for that one.
Just remember, you can use data from a heavier bullet with more safety than one that's lighter. I didn't mention the 180gr load data because the OP is a new reloader and I was worried about safety.

Do not go to the Max charge weight even though the bullet is only 5gr lighter.

airgun
January 3, 2013, 05:39 AM
Thanks so much for the replies,
airgun

Sport45
January 3, 2013, 09:51 AM
Arch is absolutely correct.

I suggested the 180gr data because the 185gr jacketed data was so much higher. That, and the lube can make a 5gr difference on a cast bullet.

You'll probably get leading from driving the cast bullet too fast before you have pressure problems. But as the man said, always approach the max loads with caution.

Have you weighted some of your bullets to see if they're really 185gr?

918v
January 3, 2013, 12:40 PM
UC does not like low pressures. You'll get inconsistent combustion and wild velocity fluctuations. Keep that in mind.

ArchAngelCD
January 3, 2013, 03:12 PM
If you start low and work up you should have no problems. Use your head and have fun...

Josh45
January 4, 2013, 10:40 AM
918V,

That explains why I usually got better results with middle of the road loads with Universal.

As for the OP, Use the powder mfgr website to get info.
If you can, I suggest getting at least two reloading manuals.
Assuming you don't have any at this time.
Lyman 49th and, Hornady 8th ( or 9th ), Sierra or Speer would be good choices.

If you enjoyed reading about "45 lswc with universal question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!