IT IS OFFICIAL Ruger LCR in 22 MAGNUM!

PDA

weblance
January 3, 2013, 06:12 PM
Rumored forever, Ruger has just announced the arrival of the LCR in 22 WMR. It is only a 6 shot. 8 would have been better, but this will be good news for many who have wanted this handgun.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5414.html

If you enjoyed reading about "IT IS OFFICIAL Ruger LCR in 22 MAGNUM!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gbran
January 3, 2013, 06:21 PM
Not approved in MA, CA. Maybe later?

JellyJar
January 3, 2013, 11:16 PM
Given the short barrel does anyone here actually think this would be better for SD than the LCR 22 with the hotter .22 loads?

DNS
January 3, 2013, 11:22 PM
Yes.

Many tests done with the NAA minis and the magnum was over the top in comparison to the long rifle.
Loaded with the new fast burn magnums it should be fun.

Wish it was an eight shot though.

Hoppes Love Potion
January 3, 2013, 11:25 PM
Yes. There are several recently developed .22 Magnum defensive rounds with faster burning powder than traditional .22 Mag ammo. Speer, Hornady, and Winchester make them. Not sure I like the idea of giving up 2 rounds compared to the LCR-22, though.

TennJed
January 4, 2013, 03:19 AM
I am a Ruger fanboy and have a 22lr LCR, but I would rather have a Taurus 941 UL. Only 1.5 ozs heavier and has 8 shots

JEB
January 4, 2013, 03:32 AM
looks great! just dont understand why they went with a 6 round vs an 8...?

stanmo
January 4, 2013, 08:28 AM
I'd rather have the 351C, 7 shots, no lock, better looking.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/160351_01_md.jpg

kbbailey
January 4, 2013, 08:52 AM
FWIW my NAA mini with 1 5/8 barrel keyholes the 45gr Hornady Critical Defense loads, much to my disappointment. It shoots the lighter 30gr Hornady Varmit loads just fine. (minute of liter bottle @ 15yds) I guess the short barrel can't stabilize the 45gr pill.

herkyguy
January 4, 2013, 09:27 AM
I like it. A winner in that it's a compromise between the LCR-22 and the LCR-38. Now it's something that someone stands a better chance with if a light recoil CCW revolver is their weapon of choice.

Seventhsword
January 4, 2013, 09:29 AM
I've been waiting for this and will be purchasing one of these!:D

ZeSpectre
January 4, 2013, 09:34 AM
I too wish it was an 8 rounder. But I'll take any pistol they want to produce in .22 Magnum. I consider it to be a seriously under-appreciated round.

22-rimfire
January 4, 2013, 10:26 AM
A 22 Mag version of the LCR has a lot of appeal to me. Since I have a 22 Mag rifle, I tend to have ammunition available rather than starting a new caliber. It is also easily obtainable through places like Walmart (except of course in the last couple of weeks).

WC145
January 4, 2013, 10:37 AM
That's pretty cool, now if they would just make one in 9mm for me!

slimpickens
January 4, 2013, 12:05 PM
Better buy some earplugs!!:eek:

HiCap1
January 4, 2013, 01:46 PM
Why would one want a .22 magnum for personal defense, if recoil were not an issue?

HiCap

R.W.Dale
January 4, 2013, 02:22 PM
Why would one want a .22 magnum for personal defense, if recoil were not an issue?

HiCap

Its beyond me. Blast from a snubby 22mag is pretty obnoxious, ballistics barely outpace 22lr and ammunition costs as much as 9mm

Speaking of 9mm, call me ruger when you make a 9mm lcr. Then shut up and take my money

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complains about

kbbailey
January 4, 2013, 02:23 PM
.22 Magnum. I consider it to be a seriously under-appreciated round.

^^me too^^

Dain Bramage
January 4, 2013, 02:36 PM
It is only a 6 shot.

That explains why Ruger lists it the same weight as the .357 mag LCR (16.6 oz). So far, the champion lightweight LCR is the .38 special +P model (13+ oz), and the only one approaching the S&W scandium frame guns in lightness.

HiCap1
January 4, 2013, 03:14 PM
RW, I made the mistake of buying a 9mm Taurus 905. It would fire one or two rounds per cylinder. It shot one foot high at 8 yards. When it was returned, the two rounds that I did get it to fire were dead on, but it still wouldn't fire and then locked up so that the cylinder wouldn't go in or out. So, LCR in 9mm is much awaited by me, inter alia.

HiCap

R.W.Dale
January 4, 2013, 03:17 PM
My 905 has been a real champ but id definitely like to have something lighter and more compact such as a 9mm LCR

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complains about

bannockburn
January 4, 2013, 03:24 PM
Not much interest in a .22Mag LCR but one in 9mm. would definitely get my attention.

Madcap_Magician
January 4, 2013, 04:35 PM
I like it as an alternative to the S&W 351, but really? I would have thought they'd get seven rounds in there at least.

I would use it as a carry gun while running distance where extra ounces really drags... I know there are people who will say "I carry a stainless longslide 1911 in .460 Rowland with ten spare magazines in a belly band while running ultramarathons, so what's your problem!?!?"

But it would make a great trail-running gun. I would carry that, a cell phone, and my driver's license and CCW permit. If ever attacked by a varmint of the two- or four-legged variant, I'd empty the gun and run.

ZeSpectre
January 4, 2013, 05:59 PM
Why would anyone want to post a snarky reply on a thread if they see no use for the item being discussed? :rolleyes:

weblance
January 5, 2013, 10:47 PM
My 905 has been perfect thru over 700 rounds now, and continues to be accurate, and reliable. I agree that an LCR in 9mm would be great

WC145
January 6, 2013, 11:27 AM
My 905 was a POS. My custom 9mm S&W 360J is great, but I'd still snag a 9mm LCR if they ever make them.

jp9mm
January 6, 2013, 12:01 PM
forget about a lcr 9mm, bring back the sp101 !

which is what they should have done instead of wasting time on a LCR 22mag.

why... why ??

tubeshooter
January 6, 2013, 02:34 PM
I am always glad to see new models in different calibers, even if they aren't calibers I currently have in my own personal rotation.

If they couldn't do it safely with 7 shots and had to go with 6, then so be it.

Hoppes Love Potion
January 6, 2013, 05:32 PM

HiCap

Lower recoil can be advantageous even to big strong men. It means more shots delivered quickly and accurately. You can see the difference in recoil between the LCR .38 and .22 MAG in Jeff Quinn's review. Notice how much faster he empties the .22 MAG:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR22Mag.htm

herkyguy
January 7, 2013, 09:17 AM
Glad I waited on picking up an LCR. I think this is the one I'll grab up when the opportunity presents itself.

any ideas if the front sight is easily replaced with a hi-viz or tritium?? I believe the LCR22 is not compatible with the LCR38 sights for some reason.

weblance
January 7, 2013, 02:29 PM
The difference in the sights between rimfire and centerfire is the height of the sight. They are interchangeable, but then Point of Impact will be off. As far as I know, there isnt an aftermarket sight for the rimfires yet.

minutemen1776
January 7, 2013, 03:40 PM
I will also keep waiting on the 9mm version, if there ever is one. I passed on the .22 LR version of the LCR when I felt its stiff trigger. I assume the .22 Mag version is the same, since it also must ignite a rimfire cartridge.

DM~
January 7, 2013, 06:09 PM
I'm with the too much noise and not much balistics group here, i've owned several 22 magnum handguns in the past, and fireing a few rounds over my chronograph was pretty disappointing. The new ammo isn't earth shattering either...

A 380 or 38spl. would be so much better for SD it isn't even funny, and properly loaded they certainly aren't heavy recoilers...

DM

Phineas Dregg
January 11, 2013, 03:31 AM
Is it possible to have a conversion cylinder with a swing cylinder revolver the way they do in the single action revolvers? It sure would be cool to have the option of LR or WMRF in one gun.

Stainz
January 11, 2013, 09:27 AM
My 351PD, new last Saturday, is a keeper. It weighs a hair over 11 oz loaded with seven Hornady 45gr FTX 'Critical Defense' rounds, which I was able to keep on a 1 ft by 2ft target at 25yd from a standing single handed hold shooting DA quickly. For a 'belly' gun - meant solely for close-in defense, it's ideal. Sadly, I called S&W Monday AM for a FEDEX return label - still waiting for that. The extractor star skips over two chambers - tested with three different ammos. Otherwise, it was perfect. The two skipped chambers will usually fall from gravity - were easily emptied with a fingernail or toothpick. No ammo would stick and it never spit lead or plating. Loud with all ammo - a bit flashy with CCI MaxiMags - little recoil, of course. I had wanted one of these since I heard/saw TN lawman/gun writer Mas Ayoob promote them as a great back-up revolver.

Yeah, I think there is a viable market for the .22 WMR in a snubby revolver. I was impressed with the 2L pop bottle full of water hit by one of those Critical Defense .22 WMR rounds launched by my 4" 651 last year. I no longer fear attacks by marauding pop bottles full of water...

Stainz

TennJed
January 12, 2013, 01:21 AM
Is it possible to have a conversion cylinder with a swing cylinder revolver the way they do in the single action revolvers? It sure would be cool to have the option of LR or WMRF in one gun.

Taurus makes one right now. A 9 shot 22lr/22mag DA with 2 cylinders. Not sure the model # (maybe 941)

spotch
January 15, 2013, 12:06 AM
I too am wondering about the ability of swapping a magnum cylinder into my lr at some point (maybe they'll make a little kit in the future?) without having to buy a single action or a taurus :p

Deltaboy
January 15, 2013, 08:48 PM
Sounds good to me.

JERRY
January 15, 2013, 09:34 PM
has some promise for self defensive uses for those who are not bothered by the lock.....

If you enjoyed reading about "IT IS OFFICIAL Ruger LCR in 22 MAGNUM!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!