First Quarter "Duck Hunt" Rimfire Match:

PDA

Maverick223
January 3, 2013, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the Rimfire Match for the months of January/February/March! This match is open to any and every 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including the perennial favorite .22LR, as well as the .22Short, .22Long, .22 Mag., .17HM2, .17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag (as well as any oddball rimfires that you might have). This match is meant to be challenging and educational, but most of all FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

There are Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 25yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 50yds.

*Note that the distance of irons div. returned to 25yds.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, sub-.20cal. chamberings, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles chambered for any rimfire cartridge .20cal./5mm and larger)

Both classes can be shot from any position. Rests/Sandbags/bipods are permitted in the Target Class only. Shooting stick(s) are now permitted for both divisions (either crossed or walking stick style). Use of a sling is encouraged.

25 Yd. (Irons) Target: See image attached below. Scale to "fit to page" on standard 8.5x11in. paper. The objective is to fire one shot at each of the six ducks. The target is scored as follows: One point for hitting the black silhouette, and one additional point for each of the alternating white/black rings (you need only break the line for the higher point value). An "X" will be awarded for staying completely within the black center bullseye, for a maximum available score of 30-6X.

50 Yd. (Optics) Target: Same as above.

If you enjoyed this match and want a bit more challenge, or just compare your rimfires to their larger cousins, check out the concurrent Centerfire Match (now quarterly). Discontinued till further notice.

When you are satisfied you've done your best post/attach (or shoot me a PM) a photo or scan of your target with as much of the following information as possible: Forum name (or name you want posted in the results), Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo, Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...). Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different division/class with same or different rifles).

Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated; all submissions due before Mar. 32nd. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "First Quarter "Duck Hunt" Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
January 6, 2013, 05:16 AM
Wishing I had those Tech Sights on the 795, now. Guess I'll slap a scope on it and do the 50 yard.

Maverick223
January 6, 2013, 05:14 PM
I extended the match to 3mo. this time around, so you have plenty of time to order a set if that's what you want. Use a scope in the meantime or just stock irons and give the magnified div. or non-mag. sporting class a try.

:)

red-demon652
January 11, 2013, 09:06 PM
Hey Mav. How are we scoring this one??? I like duckies lol!!!!

Maverick223
January 11, 2013, 11:03 PM
Each duck is worth up to 5X. 5pts for breaking the center bulls (with an X for staying completely within the boundary of the black), 4 for the inside white ring, 3 for the black ring, 2 for the outside white ring, and 1pt. for striking the duck anywhere else. Shoot at all 6 ducks and add it all up for a maximum attainable score of 30-6X.

Centurian22
January 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
Awesome! Glad I popped on here before my range trip tomorrow!!! Printing now. I'll be doing load development on my .308 so there will be lots of "letting the barrel cool" time to fill in. Nothing wrong with slipping one bench over and running a couple shots on these. Thanks as always Mav.

If anyone wants to 'take a shot' at this with a handgun, lets say 10 yards? Same scoring theme but skip the "X's" in the interest of caliber differences? Any takers? I'll have a go at it with a .22 and .32 if its not too cold tomorrow.

Maverick223
January 26, 2013, 06:25 PM
Centurian22, I've been pretty busy lately, but if things slow down a bit I'll give it a try with my HK USP-.45. I doubt I'll be much competition, but that's never stopped me before. :p

Mustanir
February 4, 2013, 09:53 PM
I ave a CZ 455 in 22LR with Bushnell Banner 3-9*40, will st my targets soon,, what I understand is that I can only use a shooting stick, and fire 6 shots, one shot on each Duck, Am I correct?

Maverick223
February 4, 2013, 11:03 PM
what I understand is that I can only use a shooting stick, and fire 6 shots, one shot on each Duck, Am I correct?Welcome to the match, Mustanir.

You are correct if you want to remain in the Sporting Class, however you are allowed to move up to the Target Class if you want, which permits rests/sandbags to be used. Either way, you are correct with respect to the shots fired (total of 6, one per duck).

ole farmerbuck
February 5, 2013, 03:38 AM
Might have to try this.

Mustanir
February 8, 2013, 02:10 PM
I am unable to attach picture of my target, it is saved in my Laptop,, kindly guide me how to do it.

Centurian22
February 8, 2013, 03:31 PM
This should help:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=369296

Maverick223
February 8, 2013, 04:44 PM
Thank you for the reference, Centurian22. That's a great deal simpler than listing the steps...I think I'll have to bookmark that one. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

Centurian22
February 8, 2013, 09:17 PM
No prob always happy to help. I was going to list them and said "Hold on there has to be a sticky about this." Lol. Really hoping for good weather when I'm home next (end of march) to shoot this one.

ZGunner
February 10, 2013, 10:21 AM
I just printed this out and realized how small the ducks were. This will be one heck of a challenge with a rifle let alone a pistol. Hopefully I can get time to give it a shot! lol Punny.

Maverick223
February 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I think it's gonna be tough to thread a little rimfire bullet in that center bulls.

ole farmerbuck
February 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
I just printed this out and realized how small the ducks were. This will be one heck of a challenge with a rifle let alone a pistol. Hopefully I can get time to give it a shot! lol Punny.
I'm still trying to get my wife to print them. How big are they?

ole farmerbuck
February 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
I let her read this and guess what, they're done!!!

Maverick223
February 10, 2013, 03:19 PM
I don't have one in front of me, but IIRC they should measure roughly 3in. (maybe a bit more) bill to tail.

ole farmerbuck
February 10, 2013, 04:01 PM
It's a good thing this old man has good optics. I'm kinda color blind so can I put an orange dot on the duckies?

Centurian22
February 11, 2013, 01:04 AM
Unless anything has changed, yes you are allowed to color the targets to make them more visible. If its a sticker make sure it's removable for scoring purposes. Good luck and we look forwards to seeing the targets.

Maverick223
February 11, 2013, 01:19 AM
It's a good thing this old man has good optics. I'm kinda color blind so can I put an orange dot on the duckies?Yep, either recoloring the target (digitally or with a writing instrument of some flavor) to one more easily seen or adding a target spot is fine, but as Centurian22 said make sure you can either remove the dot (something not easily accomplished with most target spots) or place it atop a second target (shooting through both, with the dot only on the top copy) to prevent obscuring the scoring rings. Enjoy!

Centurian22
February 11, 2013, 02:43 AM
Awesome idea about the second/stacked target Mav! Glad you mentioned this, I might have to put it to use. Thanks!

Mustanir
February 11, 2013, 09:20 AM

This is the group I could manage with sticks from 50 yards using my CZ 455 Lux and RWS Club 22.

Maverick223
February 11, 2013, 11:30 AM
Happy to be of service, Centurian22.

Thank you for getting us started, Mustanir! Well done.

Centurian22
February 11, 2013, 04:32 PM
You have a better view of the target than I do but from what I can see I would call that a 21-0X? I'm not familiar enough with the rifle I'm sure someone else can chime in does that fall under the target or sporting class? I am assuming optics division based on the 50yards. Nice work and as Mav said, thanks for kicking it off.

Maverick223
February 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
You have a better view of the target than I do but from what I can see I would call that a 21-0X? I'm not familiar enough with the rifle I'm sure someone else can chime in does that fall under the target or sporting class?Looks more like a 20-0X to me, but I can't tell for sure. The rifle would qualify for the Sporting Class.

Kframe
February 20, 2013, 12:33 PM
Sounds like fun!
I'd head out today, but it's -8F here right now. :eek:

Maverick223
February 20, 2013, 01:50 PM
Welcome, Kframe. Stay toasty, my friend. ;)

ole farmerbuck
February 20, 2013, 05:22 PM
My duckies wont sit still! Wind is only about 35mph and snowing. Darn ducks.;)

KSCCHTrainer
February 20, 2013, 09:18 PM
Nothing sitting still here in South Central Kansas either! Round 1 of this honker dropped a half a foot of snow which then thawed enough to get slushy. Now, it's in the high 20's and that's all frozen. Round 2 gonna dump a bit more and then round 3 out of the Arizona, New Mexico area arrives about morning commute time. We need much more moisture, but not as a blizzard!!

The real duckies are hiding right now with their heads tucked under their wings!

Jim

Maverick223
February 21, 2013, 03:13 AM
If I was getting snowed on in sub-freezing temps I'd probably quit sitting around and head south too. :p

hueyville
February 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
Just so I will know, I have quite a few good shooting 22's. One is a box stock Ruger 10/22T. With it having a factory heavy barrel what class would it fall in? It is the only 10/22 I own that is unmodified from factory. Also, is a Remington 40x with Redfield front & rear sights a stock or custom?

Maverick223
February 24, 2013, 04:19 PM
hueyville, the 40X would definitely fall into the Target Class, the Ruger rides the fence, but as long as it doesn't include a trigger job I think it's safe to put it in with the Sporting rifles. Just keep in mind that the optics are limited in said class and rests (save for shooting stick(s)) are not permitted. If desired you can always move up to the Target Class regardless of the rifle's specifications.

ZGunner
February 24, 2013, 08:40 PM
I'm really not happy with the results but the weather has been wet lately and haven't had a chance to redo it.

Unlimited/Target class. Rifle is a Savage FV-SR in a Boyd's thumbhole stock topped with a Bushnell Banner 6-24x40. I have attached an AAC Pilot II and shooting CCI sub-sonic 22 LR HP. I was shooting prone with a bipod.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z272/nkester88/image-11_zpscd77dace.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z272/nkester88/image-11_zpsa44b720a.jpg

I'd like to try again. I know I can do better. But like I said earlier in the thread, I had no idea how small these things actually are.

hueyville
February 25, 2013, 12:44 AM
I am a lil slow so going to ask a little more clarification. So if I stick a true 1x red dot site on the factory 10/22t I shoot it at 25 yards. If I scope it I shoot it at 50 yards, either way it is a stock gun. The 40x is a target class and shoots at 25 yards with irons. If I pull another tuned rifle with a scope it is a Target class at 50 yards. 25 only shooting sticks, 50 can be off sandbags. Is shooting indoors permissible? I have 25 yard range at work and shoot 50 rounds minimum of 22 every day. Is this a keep shooting till end of session and post best result per class even if you try a dozen targets per day for a month? Want to be clear so as to not be a cheater.

Centurian22
February 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hueyville, right for the most part. No matter the rifle/class all magnified optics are at 50yards, all non magnified (including your mentioned 1x red dot) are at 25 yards. If you want to post in the "Sporting" class with a stock rifle you can Not use bags, bipods or rests at any distance. You may use shooting sticks. If By Choice You want to use bags bipods or a rest you can opt to "upgrade" into the Target division with your sporting / stock gun. Also yes this is a shoot it as many times as you want and post as many targets as you want as you improve until the end of the match.

Hope this helps clear up your questions. Happy shooting!

hueyville
February 25, 2013, 10:30 AM
I am pretty clear but one teeny question left. Commercially made shooting sticks or can we use home built custom units? It may be easier to break out the Anshutz and just shoot standing unsupported at 25 yards. You have been a great help sir.

Centurian22
February 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
Either commercial or home made are fine. I had to double check this myself when I started as I have a pair of "table top" shooting sticks that I needed to know were allowed. Happy to help, and happy to see more people getting interested. The weather kept me from getting out last time I was home (I work away) but I'll have the 21st of march to the end of the match to try and get my holes punched. I enter the Sporting iron sights and sporting optics class. No target guns yet. Good luck.

ford8nr
February 25, 2013, 02:18 PM
Got a break before more snow tomorrow. Shot a couple of targets, one with a Winchester 52 pre-A with a older Bushnell BL 10X scope using RWS Target ammo, and one with a CZ452 Varmint with a 6x24 CenterPoint using SK Std Target ammo. Looks like a 16 and 20. :banghead:

Centurian22
February 25, 2013, 02:32 PM
Nice shooting guys. I can't wait to get out and shoot this one. Zgunner, from what I can tell in the picture that "5" is not an "X" as it appears to break the white ring. Maybe Maverick can weigh in for clarification.

ZGunner
February 25, 2013, 07:07 PM
Nice shooting guys. I can't wait to get out and shoot this one. Zgunner, from what I can tell in the picture that "5" is not an "X" as it appears to break the white ring. Maybe Maverick can weigh in for clarification.

Ooh. Ok I guess I read the instructions wrong. Well darn, might as well just scrap the whole mess of it then.

Maverick223
February 25, 2013, 11:19 PM
hueyville, Centurian22 got it right on all counts. To add to what he stated, you are permitted to shoot indoors.

Nice shooting guys. I can't wait to get out and shoot this one. Zgunner, from what I can tell in the picture that "5" is not an "X" as it appears to break the white ring. Maybe Maverick can weigh in for clarification.Yep, you have to "thread the hole" for an X to be awarded (it's is a tight fit with a .22cal. projectile, but it is possible).

Ooh. Ok I guess I read the instructions wrong. Well darn, might as well just scrap the whole mess of it then.I don't know if I would do that, the "X" is all but impossible on this target, I just added it for a possible tie-breaker.

JoelSteinbach
February 28, 2013, 10:12 PM
looks like a good challenge

RBH44
March 3, 2013, 07:37 PM
Awfully glad to see this is still up and running. looks like I'll be able to play once again!
My work load has finally started to lessen and that should free up some time to get to the range on the weekends! Just in time for a challenging target I see. LoL
Thanks for keeping this going Mav. I'll be posting my targets soon.

ole farmerbuck
March 3, 2013, 08:12 PM
If Doc lets me out of this scooter tomorrow, them little duckies had better look out!;)

RBH44
March 9, 2013, 04:55 PM
I think I have this scored right. I'm dissapointed but it's the best I could do given the weather.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/JOHN4Mystikbow/003.jpg

RBH44
March 9, 2013, 04:59 PM
I think this may be a 7 but it doesn't matter much.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/JOHN4Mystikbow/001.jpg

Maverick223
March 11, 2013, 10:07 AM
RBH44 was that last one shot with a Buckmark pistol (which is fine BTW) or rifle? If that was the former, then that is some fine marksmanship (and it's not bad for a rifle with irons).

RBH44
March 12, 2013, 07:44 PM
Mav,
Thanks, but..
I shot it with a Buckmark pistol just for the fun of it. To be honest, the back stop paced off at just over 22yrds.( it was the closest I could get to 25yrds.) and I did shoot indoor bullseye for over 10 yrs.

dennisself
March 21, 2013, 02:24 AM
I guess I'll have to go to my local gun shop to get my sks to it's original state. This site has been no help at all, thanks anyway

kyhunter
March 21, 2013, 02:28 AM
Looks like you posted in the wrong place. But it looks like your first post. there are a lot of sks fans here. post your problems/questions in the gunsmithing or rifle threads and give it a go. good luck

CmdrSlander
March 21, 2013, 02:34 AM
What happened to the centerfire match?

I could set one up.

ford8nr
March 29, 2013, 05:12 PM
Got out and shot a couple more targets. Kills me I can't seem to break the 20 mark. :banghead:

Maverick223
March 30, 2013, 01:02 PM
What happened to the centerfire match?Sorry for the delayed response, didn't notice it till now. I suspended the centerfire match for an indefinite period of time due to the ammo shortage and resulting lack of participation. If you would like to restart it that's certainly fine with me, and I'll be happy to help out in any way I can.

Maverick223
April 1, 2013, 12:30 PM
Got out and shot a couple of times this time around, but got busy and completely forgot to post my results yesterday (and I think I did pretty fair). Despite being DQ'd, here's the best I did with the 93R17-TR:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/Q113_zps80cc6f82.jpg

I'll get to tallying the score and posting a new match later this afternoon...

Maverick223
April 1, 2013, 01:29 PM
Magnified Division - Target Class:
1st: ford8nr (17)
2nd: RBH44 (12)
3rd: ZGunner (10)
Honorable Mentions: Maverick223 (DQ: 16-1X)

Magnified Division - Sporting Class:
1st: Mustanir (20)
2nd: ford8nr (16)

Non-Magnified Division - Sporting Class:
1st: RBH44 (7)

Well done folks! I'll get the one for the second quarter 2013 going as soon as possible... :)

Maverick223
April 1, 2013, 01:39 PM
New match is posted here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8845327#post8845327). Enjoy!

ole farmerbuck
April 1, 2013, 03:33 PM
Woops! I forgot about it and yesterday was the only day we've had without much wind. Now for the next one. ha

If you enjoyed reading about "First Quarter "Duck Hunt" Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!