Am I a Fudd?

PDA

beatledog7
January 3, 2013, 08:31 PM
I'm an NRA pistol and rifle instructor. I reload a dozen or so different cartridges. I own semi-auto pistols and magazines with more than 10-round capacity. I'm all in for saving our RKBA and I support and defend the Constitution (especially the Second Amendment in the context of this question, and as the final hedge) against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

But I don't own an AR (though I help teach M-16 qualification courses) or any other semi-auto rifle. I don't own a semi-auto shotgun of any kind. And I don't play FPS video games.

Am I a Fudd?

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I a Fudd?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
January 3, 2013, 08:34 PM
You're only a Fudd if you think that your hunting arms are more legitimate for people to own than defensive arms.

geekWithA.45
January 3, 2013, 08:34 PM
No.

The classical definition of a Fudd was a guy who viewed the 2nd amendment as only protecting his duck blaster or target holer, and who actively denigrated those who owned militarily credible arms for serious purposes.

Grassman
January 3, 2013, 08:35 PM
You don't have to own an AR to believe in our rights.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 08:36 PM
In my opinion (which I think is the majority opinion from people who use the term), one of the key criteria for being a Fudd, is that you support, endorse, or are indifferent ('I wouldn't mind if...') to restricting ownership of modern weapons like the AR-15.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure you're not one.

racenutz
January 3, 2013, 08:49 PM
If you're a hunter and have ever said, "I support the second amendment but....." then say all the reasons you don't actually support it then you are a fudd.

1911 guy
January 3, 2013, 08:54 PM
Agreed with the others. Simply choosing to have one type of collection or prefering one sport over another doesn't make someone an enemy of the 2A.

Racenutz said it pretty well. A Fudd is someone who thinks the Second Amendment is about hunting and is willing, perhaps even eeager, to throw the reset of us under the bus and sell himself on the illusion that his Model 12 will never be on a hit list.

heeler
January 3, 2013, 08:57 PM
Well I can say for certain this life long hunter and NRA member is not a fudd.
I am still trying hard to work a deal on an old Mini 30 complete with several 30 round Ruger magazines.
Still though I have come across some young people who call hunters fudds and I still consider the term offensive just because they dont kill animals to eat like some of us.
Whatever.

PRM
January 3, 2013, 08:59 PM
Nope - don't think so. You like what you like...

I own more charcoal burners than any one person needs. A few Colt and S&W revolvers along with a Walther and a Browning High Power. I've always liked the lever action rifles and breach loading shotguns.

Although, l never had a desire to personally own an AR or an AK, that's not what the 2nd Amendment is about. We got to support all gun rights. Bottom line, once the anti-crowd gets one type of firearm, they won't stop until all of us are shooting bows and arrows.

heeler
January 3, 2013, 09:05 PM
...And then they will go after the bows and arrows....Just look at England's knife laws.

Mainsail
January 3, 2013, 09:10 PM
If you're a hunter and have ever said, "I support the second amendment but....." then say all the reasons you don't actually support it then you are a fudd.

Sounds like the folks who say, "I support firearms carry but...not when you carry openly." :rolleyes:

RDCL
January 3, 2013, 09:18 PM
No, you are not as long as you (strongly) support the rights of others to own such firearms, and not just the type that YOU like.

I myself do not own an AR or AK variant......they never did interest me....although I have LOTS of friends & relatives that do own them, and I stand firm in supporting their rights & desires to own them just as much as I prefer my stuff.

All the anti-gunner talk of banning "evil-black-rifles" makes me just as angry as the guys that own them! (believe it or not)
All responsible, decent law-abiding folks should be able to own whatever they want without having the stigma of "evil" or "bad" attached to it. What really makes me peeved is the constant complaint of: "Why would anyone NEED that type of gun anyway?" God I am sick of hearing people .........from BOTH sides....saying all the time: "Why does anyone NEED a 30 round magazine?"

A high capacity magazine is not even on my buy list, but I say if John Doe American WANTS a 150 round drum for his rifle more power to him!! NEED has nothing to do with it.....he WANTS it and that's all I need to know about it, and I'll stand firm in supporting him.

We responsible & safe shooters do need to stand firm together. I would hope that the strictly black powder guys would do the same for me.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 09:25 PM
Now, on the other end of the spectrum...

Lately I've been pricing non-sniperized, wood stock, blue finish, open sighted bolt action rifles, so I'd feel like less of a mall ninja!

Hope that makes you feel at least a little better, beatledog7 :D

Zeke/PA
January 3, 2013, 09:31 PM
I am a dedicated hunter, I reload for about 15 calibers and I own two autoloading handguns with 10 shot mags.
I also own an AK-47 mainly because it's really fun to shoot.
I use mainly a 20 shot mag with the AK.
Do I need a 30 round mag?
No but there is no reason to ban them.

beatledog7
January 3, 2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks all.

I'd been trying to discern exactly what a Fudd is based on a number of posts that referenced the term. I really like walnut and blued steel lever and bolt action rifles, and most of my revolvers have wood grips, and apparently a lot of Fudds have similar items dominating their collections.

I guess as long as I'm not throwing AR/AK/etc. guys and hi-cap mags guys under the bus, I'm ok.

1911 guy
January 3, 2013, 09:44 PM
Quote:
I guess as long as I'm not throwing AR/AK/etc. guys and hi-cap mags guys under the bus, I'm ok.

I'd say so, given the context in which I have always heard "Fudd".

Or we could, for illustrative purposes only, resurect the ultimate Fudd, Jim Zumbo.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/23/AR2007022301709.html

Walkalong
January 3, 2013, 09:48 PM
But I don't own an AR (though I help teach M-16 qualification courses) or any other semi-auto rifle. I don't own a semi-auto shotgun of any kind. And I don't play FPS video games.

Am I a Fudd?Only if you think everyone else should follow suit, just because you do not care to own one. As long as you stand for those who own and use AR's etc., you are definitely not a Fudd.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 09:48 PM
In the interest of fairness, I would like to bring up that Zumbo accepted an invitation to Ted Nugent's ranch, to be educated about the AR-15 rifle series, and had since recanted his position on them.

wacki
January 3, 2013, 09:53 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/f3dpqe.png

Steel Horse Rider
January 3, 2013, 11:29 PM
I have been told that we are not allwed to use the term "Fudd" on this website because it is deemed "offensive" by a few. Good thing we are all mature adults here....

1911 guy
January 3, 2013, 11:35 PM
Roger. I'll try very hard not to be offended by those who wish to throw me under the bus. Promise.

Onward Allusion
January 4, 2013, 12:04 AM
racenutz

^^^
This....

Hardtarget
January 4, 2013, 12:04 AM
I'm like that guy with the song "I like guns". I don't care...big or small...fast or slow...old or new! I find them all fun to shoot or just hang on the wall. And when we stand to defend our rights I'll be glad to look left or right at all groups of gun owners!

Lets go shooting!

Mark

ps: you're no fudd!

Onward Allusion
January 4, 2013, 12:06 AM
...And then they will go after the bows and arrows....Just look at England's knife laws.

They better not! I'm more accurate with a bow at 40 yards than I am with a pistol.

Neo-Luddite
January 4, 2013, 12:09 AM
Really? No one is obligated to own ANYTHING in order to support the 2nd Amdmt or anything else.

hso
January 4, 2013, 12:47 AM
Let's quit using cutesy insulting terms that offend fellow members, lurkers and visitors.

Our mission should be to inoculate as many people as possible against this sort of demonization that Antis use all the time against us to divide us and pit us against each other. Worse, by throwing other firearms owners under the verbal bus we help Antis by confusing people wondering about these issues, but who haven't set their minds in stone against us.

THR members should focus on trying to get as many of the uncommitted visitors and lurkers as possible to see that our argument for RKBA is sound and that we're not immature name calling brats that Antis try to paint us as being.

General Geoff
January 4, 2013, 01:18 AM
Part of something being a right is the option to choose not to exercise it. Otherwise it's not a right, but a duty or an obligation.

As others have said, you are not anti-gun in any way simply because you choose not to own a particular type of gun. That's all part of our freedoms, you can choose what you like and don't like, and what you own or don't own. You would only be anti-gun if you wish to arbitrarily restrict the ability of others to own or use a particular type of firearm.

2ifbyC
January 4, 2013, 02:18 AM
Frankly, I never heard of the term Fudd until I joined this forum. Maybe itís in the lexicon of other gun forums but I joined THR due to its rules of high standards. Having learned that Fudd is a pejorative, I agree whole heartedly with HSO that it does not engender our collective cause to protect our 2A rights.

Human nature has a way of manifesting itself in many forms; greed, self-interest, apathy, and fear are but a few. Everyone is not going to think or behave as we would want them to do. We must learn to pick the right fights and do it in a way that is respectful to the party engaged as well as onlookers. Many a fight has been won or lost, not on the facts or logic, but on how the fight was conducted and perceived.

Our fight is against those that want to take our 2A rights away. If we focus on that goal, we will prevent the infringement of any new gun laws.

SSN Vet
January 4, 2013, 09:33 PM
In the interest of fairness, I would like to bring up that Zumbo accepted an invitation to Ted Nugent's ranch, to be educated about the AR-15 rifle series, and had since recanted his position on them.

Zumbo got a crash course in which side his bread was buttered on, and proved himself an adept learner.

ball3006
January 4, 2013, 10:42 PM
with my Stormy Kromer wool black and red plaid hat, my woolrich black and red plaid coat and my white stag black and red plaid wool pants worn over a pair of UP swampers. However, when I go out after bambi, I carry a M1D.

I don't have an AR. I just never liked them since my air force days. I have an AK but it is the political correct single stack model. It was the only game in town when I bought it in 1999.

My rifles of choice are my M1s and MAS49-56...chris3

TennJed
January 4, 2013, 11:28 PM
I will admit something. I had no idea what a Pmag was a month ago. From what I can gather they are magical magazines that improve almost everything in your life.

Seriously, I have never owned an AR (I would like to but it is not a top priority) and I had never heard of PMAGS before

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I a Fudd?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!