RE7 and 223, 75 grain

PDA

Gdbyrd
January 3, 2013, 08:02 PM
I was given a pound of RE7 recently and wanted to reload some stuff for my AR. I wanted to try 75 grain pills as it has a 1:7 twist. Would like any advice you have on it. I haven't found very much online..most recommend using RE15. "They" said RE7 was better suited for boolits that were 40-55 grain.

If you enjoyed reading about "RE7 and 223, 75 grain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 3, 2013, 08:22 PM
It most certainly is.
RX-7 is way too fast burning for 75 grain bullets in the .223.

BTW: Boolits = Does not apply to jacketed bullets used in centerfire handguns or rifles.
It is a alternate, improper name for cast lead bullets that orginated over on castboolets.com.

rc

Pete D.
January 4, 2013, 07:31 AM
What he said ^^^^^!
Want to shoot the .223 Rem. 75 grainers, try Reloader 15.
Want to use that RL-7, get a .45-70.
Pete

NWcityguy2
January 4, 2013, 08:31 AM
I'm sure you could work up a load for it. I shoot 2400 in 223 Remington all the time which is faster than that. I doubt you'll get enough port pressure to cycle any semi-auto before you hit max pressure though. The heaviest published load I could find for Reloder 7 is for 222 Remington using a 68gr bullet so you would defiantly be creating your own load data on this. It is in Alliants 1996 manual if you want to search it out.

There are still powders available online for shooting heavier bullets, you might want to look around if you are concerned. I just bought some 4064 last night.

If you enjoyed reading about "RE7 and 223, 75 grain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!