Truly Remarkable Day for New Ruger Product Announcements

PDA

weblance
January 3, 2013, 09:21 PM
Well... In case you haven't noticed by the buzz going around, there were some very anticipated new product announcements from Ruger today. I decided to comb the websight, and see how many things I could find with a "new" tag. Some of the centerfire rifle announcements might not have been announced today, I don't follow those as closely as pistols, so if they are "old news" I apologize. Here goes. New today...

SR45
LC380
LCR-22WMR
Super Redhawk 480 Ruger
Alaskan 480 Ruger
SR1911 Commander Style
New 22/45 LITE in black with fluted barrel(Gold is gone)
10/22 Takedown with threaded barrel, and flash hider
SR22P 2 new models, one black with threaded barrel, one silver anodized
22/45 with new style grip panels
Mark III Target with new style grip panels(Stainless, and Blued models)
2 new chamberings for the American Rifle
2 new American COMPACT Rifle
Ruger Gun Guide rifle
5 new chamberings Ruger M77 Hawkeye African
New Magnum Hunter
2 New Hawkeye Predator rifles
M77 in 17 Hornet

If you enjoyed reading about "Truly Remarkable Day for New Ruger Product Announcements" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bubba613
January 3, 2013, 09:55 PM
Wow, what an underwhelming bunch of developments. What is an LC-380 and how will that differ from the LCP? I know I can imagine it--bigger, more rounds. So what? WHo needs it?
If they really wanted to attract attention they need:

LCR in .44spc
LCP in 9x18mak
SR10mm

EBK
January 3, 2013, 09:56 PM
Is the SR45 double stack? I cant look it up here at work.

If it is I know what my next purchase will be.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 10:00 PM
WHOA, the .480 Ruger is back?

ColtPythonElite
January 3, 2013, 10:04 PM
The MKiii line needs something new other than different grips.

philoe
January 3, 2013, 10:08 PM
Love the commitment to .480. Will be looking to pick up an Alaskan in this chambering. Dunno why they went with DA Redhawk compared to a Super Blackhawk offering, but I am glad there is some commitment to the cartridge. Great round.

JeffDilla
January 3, 2013, 10:08 PM
Is the SR45 double stack? I cant look it up here at work.

If it is I know what my next purchase will be.

According to Ruger, the capacity is 10+1

Buzznrose
January 3, 2013, 10:09 PM
Looks like the SR40. Here are the specs :

Catalog Number: KSR45 | Model Number: 3801 | Caliber: 45 Auto
Slide Material: Stainless Steel Slide Finish: Brushed Stainless
Grip Frame: Black, High Performance, Glass-Filled Nylon Sights: Adjustable 3-Dot
Barrel Length: 4.50" Overall Length: 8.00"
Height: 5.75" Width: 1.27"
Weight: 30.15 oz. Capacity: 10+1
Twist: 1:16" RH Grooves: 6
MA Approved & Certified: No CA Approved: No
* * Suggested Retail: $529.00

EBK
January 3, 2013, 10:14 PM
According to Ruger, the capacity is 10+1
Thats unfortunate.

ugaarguy
January 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
42 New products if you count new chamberings, the GSR now in stainless, etc. http://www.ruger.com/search/group/?cat=new

What is an LC-380 and how will that differ from the LCP? I know I can imagine it--bigger, more rounds. So what? WHo needs it?
It's an LC-9 in .380 ACP. It's a medium sized, locked breech, .380; so it should be very soft recoiling. It would be great for those who are recoil sensitive, have arthritis, carpal tunnel, or related conditions. It's a niche gun, but it has a place.

JVaughn
January 3, 2013, 10:33 PM
I like the looks of the Gunsite Scout Rifle. Wonder how long it will be before the new stuff is in a LGS?

ETXhiker
January 3, 2013, 10:36 PM
Hmmmm...LCR in .22 mag? Okay, I'm interested.

sidheshooter
January 3, 2013, 10:51 PM

LCR in .44spc
LCP in 9x18mak
SR10mm

That's a good list, and number one on that list would have me writing a check so fast the pen would scorch the paper while filling in the amount. An LCR in .44spec is an idea who's time came the moment the first LCR hit the shelves.

JMO.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 10:59 PM
I'd like to point out, that I believe the 10+1 capacity of the SR45 has more to do with the grip, than any potential legislation.

It seems they're making it a pretty big deal that the grip circumference is no different than the SR9.

wickedsprint
January 3, 2013, 11:09 PM
I like the extra 1.5" barrel on the GSR

TexAg
January 4, 2013, 12:50 AM
I like the looks of those Guide Guns. Be interesting to see what the street price is.

john wall
January 4, 2013, 01:14 AM
Waiting on a 223 Scout. :D

black_powder_Rob
January 4, 2013, 01:19 AM
saw their web site earlier and noted a few of the newer items, liking the 18" scout rifle. Hmmm one in .223 would be nice.

Inebriated
January 4, 2013, 01:21 AM
Thats unfortunate.
I think they wanted to maintain the same grip width as the SR9 and 40... So I guess it's KINDA double stack. Could be wrong, though.

JEB
January 4, 2013, 01:24 AM
OMG!! i cant believe they brought back the .480!!! i have only ever found one once and didnt have the cash at the time. looks like i will be able to get one some day after all!

GSR in stainless with a longer barrel!?!? i likey!

sr45, same dimensions as the sr9? that is awesome! i gotta get one!

the guide gun is just cool looking! and it comes in 30-06!!!

dang it ruger.....i can never save up any money when they keep making so much stuff that i just love!

JEB
January 4, 2013, 02:06 AM
ok...just noticed the american rifles are now available in compact models. i have been thinking about getting one ever since i first got to handle one but i was also looking for a 7mm-08. so here i am looking at all the cool new stuff from ruger and low and behold.....the american is in 7mm-08!!!!!! SWEET!!! hopefully its full sized counterpart will not be far behind.

edit: just looked at the standard americn rifles. they did in fact add a full sized 7mm-08 as well as a .22-250. thats does it. i gotta get my butt into a gun store. this is awesome!

Quick Shot xMLx
January 4, 2013, 02:15 AM
Man that SR1911 in commander size will be IMPOSSIBLE to find lol.

JEB
January 4, 2013, 02:18 AM

those were my first thoughts as well! i still havent seen one of the full sized ones on a shelf that wasn't a "display only."

with this many new, and i am asuming, popular items, how is ruger ever going to keep up on production?

Flashcube
January 4, 2013, 02:19 AM
Rather keen on that 30-06 Guide Gun, shame my wallet isn't... bloody holidays. I'd settle for an American and add my own irons to it, but I've yet to even see one in the wild.

musicman10_1
January 4, 2013, 09:59 AM
I really like the new offerings from Ruger. My safe has quite a nice assortment of Ruger firearms and I plan to add a few more this year.

wdunlap
January 4, 2013, 10:32 AM
SR45c would be something to be excited about!

wtr100
January 4, 2013, 10:42 AM
saw their web site earlier and noted a few of the newer items, liking the 18" scout rifle. Hmmm one in .223 would be nice.
That takes AR mags - maybe in .300 BLK as well ...

Gato MontÚs
January 4, 2013, 10:50 AM
LOL! Why is it when I pull the trigger on a Ruger they seem to introduce what I actually want bout a month after.

Just bought a Takedown but I needed it threaded and cut down to 16" so I sent the barrel off, and low and behold there it is listed in the catalog!

Same thing happened when I opted for the 22/45 TB over the Lite cause of the IMO ugly gold finish and two weeks later they introduced the BlackLite.

I don't think I've ever seen a firearm manufacture release so many new products at the same time. I'm all over the .22 Mag LCR and Commander SR1911 (when one comes available 20 years from now!:D)

mdauben
January 4, 2013, 10:50 AM
Wow, what an underwhelming bunch of developments.
I sort of agree. I'm sure there are some specialty offering in there that will appeal to specific consumers, but there's nothing new for me in this list.

LCR in .44spc
Oh! A light weight, polymer frame .44SPL? I'd jump on that in a heart beat. I wish you were making the marketing and development decisions at Ruger these days! ;)

mgmorden
January 4, 2013, 11:05 AM
I think these are mostly good releases. The LC380 not so much, but the SR45 is a good idea. Commander length 1911 though I have no personal interest in I'm sure they'll sell well. The LCR .22Mag will probably do well too (If someone wants to carry a rimfire at least .22Mag has a lot more punch than regular .22LR).

I still would have liked to have seen a 5" SR9 though.

bannockburn
January 4, 2013, 11:07 AM
I like what I'm seeing, though an SR45c would be more to my liking. Let's hope that these new models can make it to the dealers shelves sometime in the very near future.

CraigC
January 4, 2013, 11:14 AM
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many new offerings announced at one time. I'm very impressed that they're bringing the .480 back. It's a great cartridge that deserves to be more popular than it is. I like the Guide Guns and the African but don't care for the muzzle brakes. There was already a stainless 10/22 Takedown with the threaded muzzle as a Davidson's exclusive, I'm happy to see Ruger offer a blued version. Also happy to see a varmint version of their AR, as well as the 18" stainless GSR and Commander-length 1911. Lots of good stuff in there.

Wow, what an underwhelming bunch of developments.....So what? WHo needs it?
Always a critic in the crowd. I love it out anonymous internet folks think they know better how to run a company that has turned a profit every year since its inception, is debt-free and runs entirely on cash than the folks who made it so. :rolleyes:

Lateck
January 4, 2013, 11:18 AM
Just when I was saving for more ammo......
Darn you Ruger... :cuss:
This means I'll own a few more. ....:what:

I'm a Ruger fan.... :eek:
I bet the SR45c will be released by November..... :confused:

Lateck,

pockets
January 4, 2013, 11:19 AM
Wow, what an underwhelming bunch of developments
Honestly, nothing listed there excites me in the least. But I only currently own a couple of Rugers and I've never been that impressed with them.
Well, not since I was a kid in the 1950's dreaming of owning one......then I got over that after owning a few.
I suppose it is good that they adding chamberings. As SOME of the public still has cash to spend and wants to spend it on any guns...right freakin' now!

Gato MontÚs
January 4, 2013, 11:49 AM
There was already a stainless 10/22 Takedown with the threaded muzzle as a Davidson's exclusive, I'm happy to see Ruger offer a blued version.

No kidding? I never saw anything about it on their site nor on any of the forums I browse.

If they are using their own flash hider on these then it means that the threaded portion is .600 in length to accommodate it rather than the rimfire suppressor standard .400, so it would need a spacer. That combined with the fact I wanted stainless leaves me happy with the choice I made. The variety is nice but for a "survival" 22 I don't much understand going blued rather than stainless. Still a nice easy host firearm however.

Speaking of suppressor hosts, I just noticed that they dropped not only the gold color for the 22/45 Lite, but dropped the 5.5 length all together for 4.4 instead. Much better length for a host as it should keep most, if not all, .22 subsonic at that length.

CraigC
January 4, 2013, 12:15 PM
The only part of a 10/22 ever made "stainless" is the barrel so to me, it's not really a big deal as it's far from weatherproof. I would prefer the blued version myself.

I don't see any mention on the Ruger site and word is that none have shipped yet.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=11125

Gato MontÚs
January 4, 2013, 12:31 PM
Fair enough, although if you suffered from the same inbred European super salty sweat disease such as I you'd appreciate the slight advantage of stainless:D.

Shouldn't get the barrel back for another week so it's nice to have a picture of what I am to receive, thanks for the info Craig.

dpote
January 4, 2013, 12:36 PM
Wow, what an underwhelming bunch of developments. What is an LC-380 and how will that differ from the LCP? I know I can imagine it--bigger, more rounds. So what? WHo needs it?

LCR in .44spc
LCP in 9x18mak
SR10mm
If this happened, I would buy all three. Twice.

beatledog7
January 4, 2013, 12:45 PM

I'd love to have one of these in .338 Win Mag, but why does it have to be in just that god-awful green laminate?

wickedsprint
January 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
I'd love to have one of these in .338 Win Mag, but why does it have to be in just that god-awful green laminate?

I take it the green Hog Hunter in .338 from Savage didn't make your list either haha.

I like the guide guns but not sure how i feel about laminate stock.

CraigC
January 4, 2013, 01:00 PM
The Hawkeye African is in black walnut. :confused:

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAfrican/models.html

TarDevil
January 4, 2013, 02:58 PM
I pretty much saw everything I had written via "Tell the CEO." Next on my wishlist... SP101 in .45 Colt!

tulsamal
January 4, 2013, 03:23 PM
LCR in .44spc

Oh! A light weight, polymer frame .44SPL? I'd jump on that in a heart beat. I wish you were making the marketing and development decisions at Ruger these days!

S&W made the M296 Airweight .44 Special. Centennial. 18.5 ounces. When you pick it up you can't believe it is really a gun. I carried one for ten years. Very nice. But S&W discontinued the model due to poor sales. The "marketing and development" people at Ruger might have noticed that.

I'm very impressed that they're bringing the .480 back. It's a great cartridge that deserves to be more popular than it is.

I agree this is the best part. I already have a .480 Alaskan and love it. I'm always singing its praises to people who are then disappointed to learn it was discontinued. I never did buy a full size SRH in .480 Ruger so now it is time. I am curious about what engineering changes they might have made to the guns. When they were in production before, they had some extraction problems in some guns. So they decided to make them in a five shot version instead. Then they discontinued them before I could ever buy one. (Actually only made a few Alaskans as five shots. No full size.) Now they re-introduce them and it is a six shot. So did they make changes somehow to the design or the materials?

I like the Guide Guns and the African but don't care for the muzzle brakes.

It does help a lot with a lightweight gun in a heavy caliber. And the consumer can always remove the brake and replace it with a thread protector. Supplying the gun already threaded like this does provide a lot of built in flexibility to the consumer. And the brake they supplied is better looking than the old Mini 14 brake they put on the original Gunsite rifle. I like my GSR but that brake is going to be replaced with something better looking one of these days.

I would like one of the new Guide Guns in .338 Ruger. .375 is tempting but I'm thinking .338 RCM would work for me.

I want to like the SR45. I'm a Ruger guy. But (hanging head) .... it's ugly! My HK45 looks like a swan next to it. I know, the HK costs twice as much. So Ruger wins in the strictly bang for the buck category. But life is too short to carry an ugly gun!

Gregg

TarDevil
January 4, 2013, 06:02 PM
I want to like the SR45. I'm a Ruger guy. But (hanging head) .... it's ugly!

Hmmm..guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder!

CountGlockulla
January 4, 2013, 06:08 PM
Glad to see some innovating even if their customer service sucks.

mdauben
January 4, 2013, 06:12 PM
S&W made the M296 Airweight .44 Special. Centennial. 18.5 ounces. When you pick it up you can't believe it is really a gun. I carried one for ten years. Very nice. But S&W discontinued the model due to poor sales. The "marketing and development" people at Ruger might have noticed that.

True about the 296, and I'd love to have one if I could find it for less than $600, but on the rare occasions I see them they are going for $800-1000. I would expect a hypothetical LC44 to be much more in my price range. ;)

Kevin Rohrer
January 4, 2013, 10:14 PM
It's too bad there are no new calibers for the #1.

CB900F
January 4, 2013, 10:54 PM
Fella's;

Too bad they have to do the proprietary mine-mine-mine thing. Just chamber the guns in .475 Linebaugh & those who want the squib round can shoot to their heart's content. Those who feel the need to abuse themselves can shoot the full-house Linebaugh.

Now what was that line from Scrooge? Oh yeah! BAH! HUMBUG!!

900F

beatledog7
January 4, 2013, 10:58 PM
CraigC, right you are re: green laminate. I was on the guide gun. Yay!

powderx
January 4, 2013, 11:10 PM
It's too bad there are no new calibers for the #1.

#1 gets a 222 in Light Sporter (maybe a short run?) and a 6.5-284 in Varminter.

Captcurt
January 5, 2013, 06:58 AM
Ruger needs to concentrate on getting their existing guns to the market. Every year they announce new product that is not available to the retail market until months later. I can't even get a standard 10/22 from any of 4 distributors and these bozos want to bring out new models. Give me a break.

CraigC
January 5, 2013, 12:53 PM
Just chamber the guns in .475 Linebaugh & those who want the squib round can shoot to their heart's content.
Squib??? The .475 is too long without a custom cylinder. You've obviously never loaded a 425gr LBT into a .480 case, there is no room left. No, I wouldn't call a 425gr at 1200fps and 48,000psi a "squib" but condescension duly noted. The .480 does 99% of what the .475 does and is rated at only 3000psi less pressure, so who needs it???

Fishslayer
January 5, 2013, 01:00 PM

It only took me...what? A year & a half?... to get ahold of the full size & it kinda just fell into my lap. Or as much as "fell into my lap" as it can get given California's legal rigmaroll for "not unsafe" 70 series type 1911s. :fire:

Got it December, have about 200 rounds through it & I will say it's very much worth the wait. :D

CB900F
January 5, 2013, 01:01 PM
Craig;

Nobody, just go with the Linebaugh. Thanks for agreeing with me.

:D 900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Truly Remarkable Day for New Ruger Product Announcements" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!