Selling on gunbroker, buyer pushing for PayPal

PDA

breakingcontact
January 3, 2013, 10:18 PM
From what I understand you can't purchase firearms using PayPal. Is this a common scam to get roped into using PayPal then burned? I don't plan on having anything to do with PayPal.

I've always dealt with postal money orders and bank cashiers checks and haven't had any issues buying or selling. Is that the best way to go?

With the frenzy in full swing I know there are both less experienced new gun owners out there and scam artists as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling on gunbroker, buyer pushing for PayPal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgkdrgn
January 3, 2013, 10:22 PM
It is against paypals "terms of service", and get get both the buyers and sellers account closed and any funds in them tied up for months.

Use the "Nancy Reagan" option ... just say NO.

1911 guy
January 3, 2013, 10:26 PM
If it were me, I'd insist on either a bank check or cash.

Aside from the possibility of being defrauded, it's against PayPals' policy. I choose to violate any policy only when there's a very good reason, not because someone prefers it.

breakingcontact
January 3, 2013, 10:32 PM
I repeat...I have no intention on going through PayPal. Just trying to see if this is the beginning of a scam.

medalguy
January 3, 2013, 10:34 PM
Might or might not be a scam, but it could be a sure way to get your account locked. That's a real PITA from what I hear. :cuss:

tarosean
January 3, 2013, 10:38 PM
PayPal is fine as long as you DO NOT accept the payment as a gift or make a payment as a gift. as long as its not gifted, they back their transactions much like your visa/MasterCard will do.

Speedgoat
January 3, 2013, 10:42 PM
Never used Gunbroker, but I kinda see it like the Ebay of guns. Whenever I use Ebay it's kinda done however the buyer specifies it in the payment options. I always figured that's why they put those on there...

Onward Allusion
January 3, 2013, 10:44 PM
Probably not a scam but it ain't smart on their part or your's if you say yes. I really wish GunPal worked out sometimes... It would make life so much easier on Gunbroker.

Just tell the buyer that you don't have a PayPal account and call it a day. Or better yet, just say no and tell 'em you only take USPS Money Order.

LubeckTech
January 3, 2013, 11:15 PM
I have both accepted payment on and paid for guns with PayPal but I would not recommend doing so to someone else. Guns are definately on PayPal's list of "thou shall nots" and from what I understand if they find out will close your account AND drain your bank account of funds which will take you a lot of time to get back. When I do it I understand the risk I am taking and am prepared for the conquences. I do it about once a year if that often. Probably there is no scam happening here.

deadin
January 4, 2013, 09:46 AM
I would guess that the next step will be the buyer asking for you to reduce your price to compensate him for the effort and time it will take him to go to the PO for a money order.....:rolleyes:

(Or he doesn't have the money and wants to use a credit card..)

Killian
January 4, 2013, 10:15 AM
I've heard that if the item being sold is a magazine of more than 10 rounds (against their policy) that they will refund the money to the buyer if he makes a complaint. By this time he probably his your mags. No to paypal on gun and accessories is my rule.

gp911
January 4, 2013, 05:11 PM
Popular scam is to say they'll take "the item" (first clue) then they insist you use the paypal link they send you, which is a bogus link to get your password.

Bubbles
January 4, 2013, 05:16 PM
If you are selling on GB then you should have specified exactly which payment methods you would accept when you posted the auction. PayPal should never be used for anything firearm-related.

Did this guy win the auction or is this someone who wants to buy and the auction hasn't ended yet?

breakingcontact
January 4, 2013, 05:29 PM
I did specify the payment options. PayPal wasn't one of them.

Auction hasn't ended. Just contacted me as a potential buyer with questions.

Hasn't responded since I said no to PayPal.

PRM
January 4, 2013, 05:39 PM
Here's your problem. Violating Pay Pal rules will not only terminate an account if caught. They will not honor any of the protections normally afforded with their usage.

Pay Pal can be an easy way to transfer money and offers a lot of protection to its users. I bought a pair of boots using them as the vendor requested. After purchasing them, I received an envelope a few weeks later with delivery confirmation on it. The envelope contained a rubber pencil. A few weeks passed and I checked on my boots and found the vendors web site had been taken down. I contacted Pay Pal and filed a complaint. They got back with me and stated the vendor had been contacted and had a delivery confirmation on my boots. The confirmation matched the envelop which had the pencil. Pay Pal within minutes refunded my money.

Bubbles
January 4, 2013, 05:45 PM
I did specify the payment options. PayPal wasn't one of them.

Auction hasn't ended. Just contacted me as a potential buyer with questions.

Hasn't responded since I said no to PayPal.
I make a point of appending all questions I receive, along with the answer, to each auction, but without user names. I figure more than one person may have the same question. Up to you if you want to update your listing...

breakingcontact
January 4, 2013, 05:56 PM
That's a good idea to update the auction with Q and A.

JustinJ
January 4, 2013, 05:59 PM
I would think it most likely he wants to use paypal because he is worried he will get scammed.

Hokkmike
January 4, 2013, 06:12 PM
breakingcontact...

It probably is NOT a scam thought the possibilities always exists. PayPal will not help mediate a dispute gun transaction. It would, rather, as already mentioned take action against both parties.

The reason some may want to use it is because they don't have cash and PayPal affords them a way to buy something from a private person such as yourself by using one of their credit cards.

Shadow 7D
January 4, 2013, 06:15 PM
BUT PAYPAL WILL FREEZE THE ACCOUNTS AND OFFERS NO PROTECTION

this is most likely an idiot or scam, neither is fun to deal with.

Isaac-1
January 4, 2013, 07:17 PM
I think most people see paypal as a easy safe way to buy things, if it were not for all of their thous shall not rules it would probably be true. Over the years I have used them numerous times as a buyer and on a couple of occassions had to seek their help when items did not arrive in a timely fashion and the seller would not respond to emails, sometimes I ended up getting the items sometimes they were able to force a refund. One example is I bought a small 1.5HP outboard motor off ebay it did not show up after a few weeks, I involved paypal to get a refund, one thing led to another and I found out the seller had died between getting my payment and shipping the motor, their next of kin honored the deal sent me the motor, and I ended up resending the payment.

Lex Luthier
January 4, 2013, 07:40 PM
I have had many excellent experiences with paypal, and only a few sellers who have tried monkey business. Every time I went through paypal's conflict resolution people, it has always worked out in my favor. I wish more people uses it actually. It is an amazingly simple way to transfer funds.

If a dude violates an overt policy and loses out, it's on him. You can always back out and cut your losses. You cannot win every inning.

larryh1108
January 4, 2013, 08:32 PM
Pay Pal also has agents contact sellers to see if they accept payments that are against their rules. Pay Pal will seize your account and funds up to the amount for the item purchased.

CountGlockulla
January 4, 2013, 09:07 PM
USE Pistol Pay

http://www.pistolpay.com/

Shadow 7D
January 5, 2013, 02:58 AM
I have had many excellent experiences with paypal, and only a few sellers who have tried monkey business. Every time I went through paypal's conflict resolution people, it has always worked out in my favor. I wish more people uses it actually. It is an amazingly simple way to transfer funds.

If a dude violates an overt policy and loses out, it's on him. You can always back out and cut your losses. You cannot win every inning.
Um, yeah the problem for many sellers is that paypal pretty much screws them over EVERY time

Derek Zeanah
January 5, 2013, 09:54 AM
I hear "pistolpay" and I worry that Ben Canon has the gunpal scam running again. <shivers>

Look, if he's not confident about this, have him look online and find a gun dealer close to you. Tell him you'll take the gun to that dealer, the dealer will ship it, and the only way you'll accept payment is with a postal money order or bank check or whatever you trust, shipped to the gun shop in your name.

he pays the fees of the local gunshop.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling on gunbroker, buyer pushing for PayPal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!