Penn and Teller: Gun Control BS

PDA

Midnight Oil
January 4, 2013, 03:03 AM
I did a quick search, and it seems like the last time this video was posted was back in 2007? If it's been posted recently, i apologize, but this video seems very relevant in terms of the way things have recently been going. This is an episode of B.S. in its entirety, split into 3 parts, dealing with the subject of gun control. A quick heads up, there is some harsh language (:cuss:)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YY5Rj4cQ50

If you enjoyed reading about "Penn and Teller: Gun Control BS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hm
January 4, 2013, 03:11 AM
Yeah, there's always harsh language with P&T...but no biggie I guess :-) While I couldn't disagree with them more about religion (FYI, Penn Gillettte LOVES folks who vehemently disagree with him), I sure do appreciate and agree with some of the other stuff they come up with, including and especially regarding the ineffectiveness and authoritarianism of gun control.

Erik M
January 4, 2013, 03:13 AM
FYI, Penn Gillette flip flops on issues worse than most politicians.

Midnight Oil
January 4, 2013, 03:20 AM
Yeah. These guys are very opinionated, and tend to be very passionate on the subjects they tackle on BS, but they bring up some very good points in this episode, and give a great rundown on the meaning of the 2nd Amendment. Something many of our politicians and fellow citizens (mainly due to MSM) seem to willfully misunderstand...

zorro45
January 4, 2013, 03:37 AM
I don't think their analysis of what "militia" means is correct, but their hearts are in the right place.

Hacker15E
January 4, 2013, 09:05 AM
FYI, Penn Gillette flip flops on issues worse than most politicians.

Example?

BTW, his name is "Jillette".

Ehtereon11B
January 4, 2013, 09:39 AM
I have had that episode for quite a long time. Stick with the series long enough and you will see Jillette take different stances on related issues. Outside his BS show (BS for THR, not how I feel about it) such as when he was on Celebrity Apprentice, he does not hold the same views as strongly as on BS.

Ranger Roberts
January 4, 2013, 09:44 AM
Penn & Teller are a lot like George Carlin for me. Even though I don't always agree with them, it doesn't make them less entertaining. The "BS" series was pretty fun to watch.

303tom
January 4, 2013, 09:54 AM
YEAH, I put that on my FB page a while back.............

Midnight Oil
January 4, 2013, 10:25 AM
I have had that episode for quite a long time. Stick with the series long enough and you will see Jillette take different stances on related issues. Outside his BS show (BS for THR, not how I feel about it) such as when he was on Celebrity Apprentice, he does not hold the same views as strongly as on BS.

i'm not sure of other subjects, but penn jillette seems to have stayed true to his stance on pro gun rights. he was recently on some talk show discussing guns/violence/sandy hook, and he seems to be one of the few level headed people out there that's able to get on to tv to help sort through this massive dis/misinformation campaign. Don't blame movies, music, games, comics, and guns. blame the criminals!

Penn & Teller are a lot like George Carlin for me. Even though I don't always agree with them, it doesn't make them less entertaining. The "BS" series was pretty fun to watch.

BS was an awesome series. i've been a fan of there magic shows for a long while now. Penn and Teller Fool Us was awesome! :D

KMatch
January 4, 2013, 10:57 AM
Example?

Walmart for one. First, they did an episode bashing them, then another episode praising them.

M-Cameron
January 4, 2013, 11:02 AM
Walmart for one. First, they did an episode bashing them, then another episode praising them.

were they condemning and then praising them for the same reasons?

because you can bash someone for one reason, but praise them for another....

Adolf Hitler could be praised for his uniting of Germany, and then Condemned for the obvious.

KMatch
January 4, 2013, 11:19 AM
I believe they were flip flopping, but it's been a few years. I seem to remember them bashing WM for treating employee's bad, then praising them for treating them great.

JustinJ
January 4, 2013, 11:51 AM
I don't recall which episode specifically but they actually made a joke regarding their conflicting views on a subject between two different episodes. I wana say it had something to do with pesticides or organic food.

Regardless, one must remember that their show is about entertainment first, information second.

Lateck
January 4, 2013, 12:57 PM
MO; thanks for the post.
I had forgotten about that show.

Lateck,

Shadow 7D
January 4, 2013, 01:18 PM
I believe in the BS show, they are attempting to show the BS in the arguments and that may not or may be the same as their PERSONAL view

If I remember correctly, Penn's personal view isn't 'RKBA Friendly' rather (much like I got the best debater in the world to admit - no seriously, got in RKBA with a guy at college, found out a week later he just happened to be the captain of the debate team that won the international collegiate debates)

You can admit that you PERSONALLY don't like, or hold the view you are arguing, and admit that there are MAJOR logic issues with it, such as gun control and admitting that it is nothing more than window dressing and fails to address any of the issues of violence, while still saying that you don't like guns and something 'needs to be done'

the question then is just the issue of 'what needs to be done'
OH, and check their take on us, folks as they put it, we don't do ourselves many favors.

Midnight Oil
January 4, 2013, 01:32 PM
MO; thanks for the post.
I had forgotten about that show.

Lateck,

:) np. it's been a while since i've seen it as well, just happened to stumble upon this episode again. it feels refreshing to see a RKBA piece, considering the current situation we're in, regardless of how old that show/clip is. Gotta take a break from all this hate we're receiving every once in a while! ;)

Queen_of_Thunder
January 4, 2013, 09:29 PM
Example?

Like the razor but not spelled the same. Sorry couldn't help myself.

Cesiumsponge
January 4, 2013, 09:46 PM
If I remember correctly, Penn's personal view isn't 'RKBA Friendly' rather (much like I got the best debater in the world to admit - no seriously, got in RKBA with a guy at college, found out a week later he just happened to be the captain of the debate team that won the international collegiate debates)

Penn Jillette is an outspoken libertarian. It's hard to keep that philosophy and simultaneously be anti-gun.

Here he is on Sandy Hook, on a show full of squawking hens. He gets visibly annoyed because everyone talks over him while he tries to inject facts and correct errors made by the hens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Lw7xa6lHU

Sgt_R
January 4, 2013, 09:57 PM
Tagged

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

JohnnyK
January 4, 2013, 10:08 PM
well put! :)

HOOfan_1
January 5, 2013, 02:00 AM
Penn Jillette is an outspoken libertarian. It's hard to keep that philosophy and simultaneously be anti-gun.

Exactly...he is a Libertarian. These are not the people Obama was criticizing when he said clinging to guns and religion.

velojym
January 5, 2013, 02:56 AM
I don't see much, if any, double talk in the Penn & Teller shows. As was mentioned before, you can speak out against something (such as some Walmart practices) while praising other things about them. What would be intellectually dishonest would be to take a stand 100% against someone or something when you'd otherwise praise other aspects according to whatever your standards happen to be.
He (and Teller) will speak out against organized religion, but on another show (or even the same one) they'll come out strongly for everyones' freedom to practice their own faith. What they oppose is the imposition of rules and "faith" on people who disagree, and the ultimate expression of your freedom is your ability to say "No, thanks."

However, I will say I haven't watched every bit of material they've produced, so I'd love to see a real example of where they may have contradicted themselves.

Midnight Oil
January 5, 2013, 03:00 AM
Here he is on Sandy Hook, on a show full of squawking hens. He gets visibly annoyed because everyone talks over him while he tries to inject facts and correct errors made by the hens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Lw7xa6lHU

This is the show i was referring too in one of my earlier posts (#10) Although he doesn't say it outright ("i'm pro gun!"), the things he says makes one think that he does have at the very least a non-anti stance on the subject. Everyone on the show is saying it's the guns, movies, games, etc, as penn's face starts turning red from an increase in blood pressure :D!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkw0tsWRWN1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Shadow 7D
January 5, 2013, 03:39 AM
Right, I don't think anybody is claiming he is an anti, he also isn't RKBA
he's a pragmatist

Yosemite Sam
January 5, 2013, 04:31 AM
Here's the whole episode in one video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XrNzE39J8E
0XrNzE39J8E

Midnight Oil
January 5, 2013, 04:39 AM
Thanks Yosemite! didn't know how to embed vids....

Cesiumsponge
January 5, 2013, 04:47 PM
He (and Teller) will speak out against organized religion, but on another show (or even the same one) they'll come out strongly for everyones' freedom to practice their own faith. What they oppose is the imposition of rules and "faith" on people who disagree, and the ultimate expression of your freedom is your ability to say "No, thanks."
Look at his personal views on drugs and alcohol. He has never dabbled in any of it but he has been an outspoken critic on the War on Drugs and government restrictions. You can believe in removing government from imposing it's will on an activity or product without having to partake in that activity or product. The concept of getting government out of your lives and letting you make your own decisions (and reap the consequences of your decisions) was the spirit this country was built upon. Penn Jilette doesn't care much for owning guns himself. He clearly said so in a November 2, 2007 interview with Glenn Beck. He said:
JILLETTE: And although I use guns in our show, I hate being around them. You know, my feeling about gun control is that everyone in the country should have a gun except me, because I hate to carry things...But if everybody else had a gun, you`re OK because the overwhelming majority of people are good. And so if they all have guns, the bad guys are outnumbered automatically.

Penn Jilette is known for several things. He is an illusionist. He can be very obnoxious. He is an Atheist. He is a Libertarian. He is consistent. Much more than I can say of other entertainers or outspoken quasi-famous people. He wrote a short paper in Cato titled "Arm the Chicks".
This column is not some “Modest Proposal.” (I didn’t know Jonathan Swift, and I’m no Jonathan Swift.) This is not satire. This is a gedanken — a thought experiment. Here’s the idea: To cut down on violence against women, we give a handgun to every woman in the United States. You like it? I don’t care how we’d pay for this; either charity or government money would be fine. To encourage liberals to come on board, let’s have the government raise taxes to pay for it. Free guns and higher taxes – that, my friends, is bipartisan. In 2000, there were 100 million women in America between the ages of 20 and 84. (That's just my taste in women; if you want the numbers for 18-95, do your own research.) With the price of an inexpensive pistol at $245, it would cost $24.5 billion to arm all those women. (Of course, when the government buys in bulk, it’s gonna cost a lot more.)

Now, $24.5 billion is pretty pricey, even for a government spending other people’s money. But we could spread that out by phasing the program in slowly. We’ll start by giving guns to women who just turned 20 – that way they’ll be fully strapped at their coming out. That means that we’d only hand out about 1.8 million guns a year, at a cost of $449 million. That’s chump change for government protection – state and local cops cost about $56 billion a year. And think of how much sexier, I mean safer, the country would be.

BullfrogKen
January 5, 2013, 05:00 PM
Jillette is a libertarian. He believes in liberty and that government is a greater threat to it than any individual.

He may not like guns personally. That's fine.

There are plenty of freedoms I will defend that I don't partake of.

I think it's a great episode.

hq
January 5, 2013, 05:14 PM
What's really special about Jillette is that he's very outspoken for liberties that don't really concern him on a personal level. That's a rare trait, even when it happens in the name of TV entertainment. Even as an atheist he has utmost respect for those who have faith, which seems to be quite rare.

I've followed Jillette's video blog for quite some time, mainly because one of my hobbies is mentalism and magic, but also because I really like his view on politics and how the society should work. All the way to libertarianism. He has authored some books, too.

Cesiumsponge
January 5, 2013, 05:36 PM
Even as an atheist he has utmost respect for those who have faith, which seems to be quite rare.

There was a vlog where he talks about a friend giving him a Bible and his great appreciation for that act of kindness. He creates a loud-mouthed persona for entertainment but he is genuinely a nice guy. Like many have stated, he is solid Libertarian.

JBrady555
January 5, 2013, 05:52 PM
I think that video of the wendy show is the video I created a thread about right after the sandy hook tragedy. The lady on the right actually says that if the shooter only had hand guns and not the "assault" rifle that he would have only been able to shoot two children and not 20. What a lunatic.

Midnight Oil
January 5, 2013, 09:59 PM
I think that video of the wendy show is the video I created a thread about right after the sandy hook tragedy. The lady on the right actually says that if the shooter only had hand guns and not the "assault" rifle that he would have only been able to shoot two children and not 20. What a lunatic.

her ignorance is astounding

If you enjoyed reading about "Penn and Teller: Gun Control BS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!