Federal 205 SR Primers in 357 mag

PDA

NELSONs02
January 4, 2013, 09:49 AM
Anyone see issues with using the above in 357 mags? Powder would be 2400, bullet would be a Missouri Bullet 158 swc.

I've done some digging and discovered a thread on the S&W forum where a guy spoke to a CCI rep who told him there is absolutely no difference between their small pistol and small rifle primers, only different packaging. He said he's been using CCI SR primers in his 357 for a long time now - no issues.

Would the same be true with Federal? I'll probably end up giving Federal a call unless someone on here has done this.

I'd for sure start out on the bottom end with the 2400. Probably 13.5 grains and up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal 205 SR Primers in 357 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
January 4, 2013, 11:22 AM
I have tried some SR in .357 with AA 5744. I saw no reason to continue using SR primers in .357 cases, but they "work". Some guns may have trouble setting them off.

(You can't get enough 5744 in the case to do much by the way.)

Would the same be true with Federal? I'll probably end up giving Federal a call That is your best bet. Ask at the source.

helotaxi
January 4, 2013, 11:49 AM
The Federal SR primers equate to their Small Pistol Magnum primers. Not the best choice for use with 2400.

NELSONs02
January 4, 2013, 01:21 PM
I will try to contact Federal and report back.

NELSONs02
January 4, 2013, 02:12 PM
As for using magnum small pistol primers with 2400, here's an interesting post I just found.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121531-Alliant-2400-regular-vs-magnum-primers

Actually looks like the magnums yield a little less velocity but it's pretty marginal.

gamestalker
January 4, 2013, 02:52 PM
With so little being available on the shelves lately I can understand why so many reloaders are searching for alternative primers options. About the only issues that you may have I cup thickness with SR primers. And then you might also want to find out how they compare to a magnum primer, as 2400 is intended to be used with standard small pistol pimers. But I would think that as long as you do a careful work up you shouldn't encounter any pressure issues.

GS

NELSONs02
January 8, 2013, 07:14 PM
The Message I got from Federal:

Matt,

They are different both in cup thickness and primer mix charge. You would see pressure spikes and also have a chance of misfires due to the cup thickness.

Thanks
Federal Premium

I did not ask if they were the same as a magnum pistol primer but I'm assuming so. Regardless I guess I'll just suck it up and try to find some more small pistol primers.

rcmodel
January 8, 2013, 09:01 PM
where a guy spoke to a CCI rep who told him there is absolutely no difference between their small pistol and small rifle primersSee, thats why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet.

But I'm a French Model, so what do I know!

2400 doesn't not react well to Mag primers in the first place, even if they were the same.
Which they aren't.

Lower velocity, higher pressure for the same velocity, and unexpected pressure spikes can result.

I really am a French Model.
You can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true.

Trust me!

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal 205 SR Primers in 357 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!