What is the most inaccurate pistol you own? Why do you keep it around?

PDA

rod5591
January 4, 2013, 07:12 PM

I have a 1903 .32 Colt Hammerless semi auto. I can barely hit the target 50% of the time from 15 feet and I am not a bad shot. It is more inaccurate even than than my Ruger .39 LCR snubby. But I keep it since it is my oldest piece and I went to a lot of trouble to reassemble it from pieces. Plus I like to look at it. But I wish I could get it to shoot straight. Any suggestions?

Do you have any inaccurate pistols? Why do you keep it around? How can one improve the accuracy of an inaccurate piece? Just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the most inaccurate pistol you own? Why do you keep it around?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SharpsDressedMan
January 4, 2013, 07:24 PM
This is a great question/thread. I consider myself extremely lucky to have all of my handguns shoot into 4-5" @ 25 yards or better. I have days when they don't, but I know it is me, not the guns. If I miss, is is almost always my fault. The few that are the 4-5" shooters (as opposed to the vast majority of mine that will do 2-3" at 25 yards) are STILL better than many less accurate guns. I guess that is why I keep them. How can you dump a vintage Beretta .25 or .380 (Model 1834) that will shoot that well with dinky, hard to see sights?

Jim NE
January 4, 2013, 07:26 PM
Hey, that's a good question. Mine, I think, is an SP101 Ruger with a 2 and 1/4 inch bbl.

It was somewhat inaccurate (compared to the other snubbies I have) when it had the original grips on it. Putting a Hogue on it helped, but unless my fingers are solidly placed in the finger grooves, it's still not quite as accurate as I'd like. Some have suggested finding just the right load to bring out it's accuracy more, and that helps, too, but I don't like having the accuracy being so finicky as to loads.

Why do I keep it? It's very sturdy. I think I'll end up selling it. It really isn't that bad for a snubby. If I lived in bear country, I'd use it for close up protection in the woods...but I don't

SharpsDressedMan
January 4, 2013, 07:27 PM
Oh, the least accurate gun in the house is my wife's Colt .380 Mustang. It is "across the room" accurate (it will stay on a paper plate at 25 yards, but that is about it), and that is all she asks of it.

tahunua001
January 4, 2013, 07:35 PM
none, both of my concealed carry guns have identical accuracy to my rimfire practice pistol. I had an inaccurate pistol once...

HAD!

I don't keep guns I can't hit anything with, exactly why my AK47 is no longer with me as well.

tahunua001
January 4, 2013, 07:36 PM
DUPE

Ala Tom
January 4, 2013, 07:40 PM
I started listing all my guns, including the ones I no longer have, then I started looking at the common denominator that makes them all less than fully accurate. It is me.

In the past, I have had two types of guns - fun guns and defense guns. I no longer have the luxury of having fun guns. But I am thinking about getting some. A nice smooth 9 mm might be fun too, shooting for accuracy. But, generally a fun gun is a big western SA revolver. The accuracy consideration for a SA revolver is, of course, the second shot, regardless of caliber. (I shot a Colt 45 and a Ruger long-barrel 357. My first shots were pretty accurate.)

SharpsDressedMan
January 4, 2013, 07:41 PM
PS: Hard to believe about your Colt .32. I have had several, and two of them were capable of head shots at 25 yards on a standard police target. I once got a 6-7" group at 50 yards with one, slow fire over the bench. These are some of the MORE accurate guns, and some of the most fun to shoot, that I have. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05236.jpg

Esoxchaser
January 4, 2013, 07:41 PM
Baby Browning. Keep it around for it's historical value and cool factor.

Dudemeister
January 4, 2013, 08:23 PM
Llama 380. At 10 yards I can keep it on the target but it's all over the place (like a 12" spread), and it gets worse from there.

But for up close and personal close encounters, it's fine. I keep it because it's very cool, a 3/4 size 1911 that can be easily concealed.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 4, 2013, 08:52 PM
My most inaccurate is a Colt 80 Series MkIV Officers 1911. It's one of the few officers that feeds great and the lockup is nice, it's just not very accurate. I keep it because it was given to my father from my uncle then given to me a few years ago. It is priceless to me for that reason.

rcmodel
January 4, 2013, 09:04 PM
1903 .32 Colt Hammerless semi auto. I can barely hit the target 50% of the time from 15 feetThat just ain't right right there.

Those guns are noted for good accuracy with almost non-existent sights and heavy trigger and all.

And I have a Baby Browning you wouldn't want shooting at you at 50 yards I betcha!
No, it's not a match pistol.
But it's accurate enough to hit a silhouette target at 25 yards every shot.

Probably my least accurate handgun is a Kel-Tec P3AT.
I keep it around because it is the most power I can carry, in my shirt pocket.

rc

Jim NE
January 4, 2013, 09:11 PM
Realizing that this is for pistols that you currently own, I hope you don't mind if I add another gun that fits in neither category.

It was a Colt SAA in .45 LC, near new condition. Owned it about 10 years ago.

Anyone notice that Colt is a recurring theme in these first few posts? Not trying to imply anything. Just making an observation.

Elkins45
January 4, 2013, 09:12 PM
I have a High Standard Double Nine revolver that I inherited from a close relative. It's a double action 22 revolver that is styled to look like a single action gun. I can't keep 9 shots on a sheet of notebook paper at 25 yards regardless of the ammo, and that's from the bench.

I keep it because of sentimental value, but it's the most worthless handgun I own. He put a set of real pearl grips on it, so at least it's pretty.

xXxplosive
January 4, 2013, 09:15 PM
NAA Guardian .380
Wouldn't sell my headaches to just anyone.............

dab102999
January 4, 2013, 09:23 PM
Easy..

Jennings 380.. and keep it for the memory. Wife and were just married. Living on Ramon noodels and the such. She got a job at a mall and got out late at night in a not so good area of town and I worked nights. She and I always hunted and had guns so natural step was to get our c.w.p. and hand guns. I scrounged to find $150 for the handgun and a couple boxes of ammo....she always ask me why I don't sell it and I tell her that it ain't worth a dime (which is probably true). But in reality every time I hold it I remember just how much she did to help get us starter out.

Lucky Derby
January 5, 2013, 07:54 AM
S&W 459 9mm. It stays around for the same reason it was purchased. The mags are the same as my Marlin Camp Carbine.

Robbins290
January 5, 2013, 07:57 AM
rod, im sorry to hear abput your colt 32. mine is pretty accurate. as for least accurate. for revolver is a 1895 nagant revolver and my auto is a p238.

guyfromohio
January 5, 2013, 08:01 AM
Honestly, I don't tolerate reliability or accuracy deficiencies. I sell them almost immediately. That being said, if I had an family heirloom that had those issues, I would hold on to it. My heirlooms are accurate and reliable though..... 2 old Wingmasters, an old winchester bolt .22 from the '50s, and a H&R Topper from the 60's.

OilyPablo
January 5, 2013, 08:50 AM
None of my handguns are super inaccurate - if they were I would remedy the problem or get rid of them. But honestly probably a tie between my Tokarev (terrible sights), Glock 20 and 17L (just not repeatable) and Sig P6 (returned service model). Again all good for 4-5" inches at 15-25 yards depending on my mood, so not horrible.

CDR_Glock
January 5, 2013, 09:04 AM
I don't have inaccurate pistols. I have pistols that I am less accurate with, like a Sig P938 (I'm only accurate to 20 yards), or my Ruger LCR. The others are tack drivers.

Texan Scott
January 5, 2013, 09:05 AM
My edc. Taurus 605. I rendered it spurless DAO and did nothing to smooth or lighten the trigger. It has a short sight radius and very small low contrast fixed sights and a boot grip.

There's nothing wrong with the gun. It's just difficult for ME to shoot straight at 25 yards. I keep it and carry it because it's drop dead reliable, and if I really need it, it'll more likely be at a range of 25 INCHES.

gp911
January 5, 2013, 09:07 AM
Kel Tec P3AT, but I'll never sell it because it was a gift from my soon-to-be bride.

CountGlockulla
January 5, 2013, 09:13 AM
I don't keep inaccurate guns. All pistols must be capable of 3" @ 25 yards and rifles must maintain 1 MOA from a rest with handloads except for battle rifles which must hold 2.5 MOA.

ku4hx
January 5, 2013, 09:19 AM
Honestly, I don't now own and I don't recall ever owning any inaccurate gun of any kind. Not all are tack drivers, but all have always performed as expected if not better. Since I've hand crafted 99.999% of my ammunition for a specific gun and need for over 40 years that's what I'd expect to be the case.

Basically, there are no inaccurate guns, just guns for which the proper load has not been developed.

hentown
January 5, 2013, 09:51 AM
Star PD; nostalgia

gamestalker
January 5, 2013, 10:38 AM
Hi Point 9mm. I was out archery hunting anything that moved (varmits) I stuck a rabbit with a field point 3 times! He wouldn't die and just kept hiding until my Son and I cornered him in a small wash. My Son was litterally standing directly over him with the Hi Point and could not hit that rabbit with a full clip. The bullets just kept hitting around him.

We later took that pistol and put it on paper at about 10' and couldn't believe how horrible the accuracy was. I recovered several bullets from it and they all had rifling marks on only one side. Apparently the barrel was defective?

GS

md2lgyk
January 5, 2013, 10:52 AM
"Accuracy" is all relative. Several of my pistols are for bullseye competition, so can easily shoot 2-inch groups at 50 yards. Anything bigger and they wouldn't be "accurate" enough for serious competition. My P32 couldn't shoot such a group at 5 yards, but for self defense is perfectly adequate. Though my practice concentrates on center-of-mass, I can make 7-yard point shooting head shots 90% of the time.

SharpsDressedMan
January 5, 2013, 11:41 AM
I find it very odd that the guns I have acquired in the last 20 years are WAY more accurate than the guns I shot and owned in my first 20 years of shooting. And many of them are the same type, manufacture, and age. I'm wondering if my progressively better skill level has anything to do with those older, "innacurate" guns having been so inaccurate.....................

Bikewer
January 5, 2013, 11:53 AM
I no longer have the ratty 1911 I picked up at a gun show once... Thing was obviously cobbled together from various bits; looked like the frame had been surface rusted at some point and then cleaned up.
It was pretty loose.
I was shooting some groups one day with my .357 at 50 yards, using a standard 25-yard pistol target.
I decided to see how the 1911 would do off a rest.... Not well. Wouldn't stay on the paper, much less shoot "groups".
Likely could have tightened it up, but I sold it first.

I admit I never tried shooting groups with what would have likely been a good candidate... A High Standard .22 Magnum derringer. Trigger pull was about as long as your arm.

Kiln
January 5, 2013, 04:48 PM
I don't really have any that are inaccurate and the one I had that was really unreliable is gone.

Even my Raven MP25 is fairly accurate at 20 yards with the fixed sights and gritty trigger. As someone said earlier in the thread, if a gun isn't shooting accurately it is my fault.

I've shot a couple of guns that I decided were crap because of inaccuracy but when I handed them off to a more competent shooter they embarrassed me with it despite never firing the gun in question before.

oldironsights
January 6, 2013, 08:26 PM
I keep a few inaccurate handguns around due to their entertainment & collector's qualities.
The few that I keep are as follows;
Ruger 3-screw 30 carbine revolver
AMT Automag III in 30 carbine
Several Com-Bloc Tokarev pistols chambered in 7.62X25
All of the above are just too fun to shoot to part with.

loose noose
January 6, 2013, 09:48 PM
Had a AMT .380 when I was a Police Officer, as a back-up gun, anything beyond 7 yards was considered safe, as I couldn't reliably hit anything beyond that range. One of the Range Masters at the range made up a makeshift Ransom Rest we used at our range, and the best it would do was 8" at 15 yards. Even the more experienced shooters at the time couldn't keep 5 rounds in a silhouette target's vital area at much beyond 7 yards. Needless to say I still have that gun in my collection.:rolleyes:

LuvthatAK
January 7, 2013, 05:57 AM
Taurus 1911 and Millenium .45. Both were terrible at 10 yards. And as so many others have said already, the Kel-Tec p3at. Don't have any of these any more. However, my LCR .38 makes a 5 shot group that is about 2.5" at 10 yards. It goes where I go.

JVaughn
January 7, 2013, 06:27 AM
I've got a North American Arms .22 magnum "pocket pistol." Can't really even aim the thing comfortably. I keep it because it fits in my pocket so well.

hueyville
January 7, 2013, 06:14 PM
Lucky Derby wrote: S&W 459 9mm. It stays around for the same reason it was purchased.

Bought three of those over the years due to being "deals" and sold every one due to inaccuracy. Had a friend that recently passed always carried one but to see him in action with it was a poor recollection. Never knew why he swore by that thing.

hwmoore
January 8, 2013, 03:46 AM
a S&W 642 and a keltec 380 I keep them because they work very well at the range intended, both have crimson lasers on them, and the fit in my pocket but can they really compare to a full size or a target pistol

Skribs
January 8, 2013, 03:49 PM
Ruger LCP. I own it because it's the best pocket gun I've found.

Although techinically if you always got rid of a pistol because it's your most innacurate, eventually you would have no pistols.

zonzin
January 8, 2013, 06:13 PM
An old .40 DAO Ruger I once had. Thing was so loose it always felt as if was going to fly apart. Dont remember the model,, was an 1990's model.

saturno_v
January 8, 2013, 06:19 PM
Easy for me....my Kel-Tec P-11, very happy with the pistol but a range tool is not nor is meant to be.

Accurate enough for "face to face" work, that's about it and it is ok...

I run a box of ammo through it at the range often enough just to keep proficient with it.

It is basically my main carry, because it is pocketable and my full size pieces often are not an option.

For civilian CCW duties is all the accuracy you really need...like my CCW instructor told me once, "anything over 5 yards and you'll have a lot of explaining to do"....:D

2wheels
January 8, 2013, 06:21 PM
I can't claim to be a top level bullseye shooter, I'm average at best, so I don't own any pistols that are less accurate than me.

I do have pistols that I shoot better than others, I guess if you look at it that way my New Agent is my "least accurate" gun even though I know mechanically it's not really any less accurate. In that case, it's the trench sight that makes precise groups difficult, but it's still accurate enough for what I bought it for.

If I go to the range and my target looks more like buckshot from a shotgun and not a nice tight group, I know to blame myself and not the gun.

Dr_B
January 8, 2013, 09:03 PM
I owned a Smith and Wesson 637 that had a problem with its crown. Sold it.

I also once owned a Colt .32 hammerless made in 1919. I didn't really know what to do with a .32 in my collection. Sold it too. Next time I see one I might snap it up. It was neat little gun and very accurate.

The only thing I have never been able to shoot accurately was the slingshot I owned when I was 10 years old.

trixter
January 9, 2013, 03:06 PM
The one I shoot, because of the one who shoots it.

horsemen61
January 9, 2013, 03:12 PM
Jimenz arms 22 lr I keep it cause my dad gave it to me.

Rinspeed
January 10, 2013, 01:01 AM
For me it has to be my Colt 1908 .380 but only because of the very marginal sights.

Rinspeed
January 10, 2013, 01:05 AM
For me it has to be my Colt 1908 .380 but only because of the very marginal sights.

Rinspeed
January 10, 2013, 01:09 AM

Rinspeed
January 10, 2013, 01:11 AM

il.bill
January 10, 2013, 01:41 AM
My .25 ACP Astra Cub (same as a Junior Colt). Even at seven yards with a full magazine I believe I would stand just as good a chance of hitting a 2" bullseye with my eyes closed as I would firing it aiming with the sights.

I keep it because it looks like a miniature 1911 and it is just a fun SA pistol to shoot with a rewarding little 'pop'.

gotboostvr
January 10, 2013, 02:19 AM
hueyville and Lucky Derby, count me among you. my 469 is my least accurate pistol, but at least mine has been dead nuts reliable. In fact, by the numbers, it's the most reliable firearm I've owned (including my Mossberg 500, S&W 19-3 my BCM, and a Glock 34! among others).

But the trigger sucks, and the grips suck, I don't like frame safeties and I could at best manage a fist sized group at 10 yards.

I sold it once, but it came back to me somehow. I hate to get rid of such a dependable pistol though.

hemiram
January 10, 2013, 07:38 AM
Mine would be my insanely cheap Astra A100. Not that it's really inaccurate, it's just not as accurate as my other semiautos. On a home brewed bench it did about 3" groups at 50 feet. One thing it has in it's favor, it will shoot anything that can be chambered in it without a hiccup. Only my 5906 can equal it in digesting crappy reload ammo that my other guns object to. People have laughed at it when they see it, but they usually stop when they shoot it. My other Astra, an A75 is just about as accurate as my S&W 6906, and just as reliable. It's funny, but the same people who talk down the A100 seem to feel totally differently about the A75. A couple people I know have bought one after shooting mine.

I've never had a bad Astra gun, semiauto or revolver.

pockets
January 10, 2013, 11:29 AM
Reck LA Fury

I keep it around because it is a perfect example of a Reck LA Fury.
A lot of pocket guns aren't very accurate beyond spitting distance. That doesn't stop me from enjoying them for what they are.

foghornl
January 11, 2013, 09:53 AM
Worst I ever HAD was an RG .22LR snubby revolver. In 150 rounds, I managed to hit a 9" paper plate twice...at a distance of 2 yards...that's right 6 feet away.

IMTHDUKE
January 11, 2013, 11:07 AM
Why would you hold on to an inaccurate handgun?

allin
January 13, 2013, 11:05 AM
Don't think the gun is inaccurate but hitting anything at a distance with it is a real chore!:cuss:

jmorris
January 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
.22 micro revolver. Why keep it? It's tiny, why you interested in buying it?

wayno
January 15, 2013, 05:07 PM
I don't think it is the guns fault..I just can' shoot the darn things Glock 26, 23:o

420Stainless
January 15, 2013, 06:38 PM
SIG 229. I keep it due to the great combination of size, weight and utility it offers. It may be the one I'm least accurate with, but my opinion is that it is plenty good for what I want it for.

OilyPablo
January 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
The SIG P229 is not inherently inaccurate. Have you had it checked by a smith?

420Stainless
January 15, 2013, 06:59 PM
The SIG P229 is not inherently inaccurate. Have you had it checked by a smith?
Maybe I didn't understand the question. I thought it was which is my most inaccurate. Nothing is wrong with my 229, but I wouldn't pick it out for a bullseye contest.

OilyPablo
January 15, 2013, 07:05 PM
Good point! I will freely say the P229 does have a "learning curve". Mine took awhile, and yeah give me my 6" Colt Trooper any day for a contest!

targetshooter22
January 15, 2013, 07:08 PM
1858 Remington C&B. I keep it because when used with a Kirst Konverter it is an accurate 45 colt. But with C&B it is truly horrible due to undersized cylinder chambers in the C&B chamber.

The other handguns that didn't shoot straight were retired.

jon_in_wv
March 15, 2013, 08:07 PM
My 58 Remington is insanely accurate. My least accurate firearm is probably my Romanian M69 Trainer. Only because I'm not that good with the sights and the old Weaver on it has terrible glass. It also seems picky about what ammo it likes to shoot well.

JoePfeiffer
March 16, 2013, 01:58 AM
My least accurate pistol is my Sig 226. I keep it around as my bedside HD pistol.

The thing is, it's only my least accurate because my others are my Buckmark and my CZ 82. It's still a lot more accurate than I am.

bikerbill
March 16, 2013, 03:00 PM
I'd have to say my Smith 637, but it's not the gun's fault, I don't think ... I simply don't have the time or inclination to practice with it enough to learn to shoot it straight ... especially since my little Kahr PM9 is deadly accurate from SD distances, and I only need to run 50 rounds or so through it at range sessions to keep my technique sharp ...

ttheel
March 16, 2013, 04:19 PM
I don't own what I consider an inaccurate handgun. I guess I am less accurate with my LCP than my others but I still consider it a good shooter. At 7 yards I am very comfortable with its accuracy which in my opinion is very good for a pocket pistol.

Cee Zee
March 16, 2013, 04:35 PM
I have an infamous Raven P-25 that was the first gun I ever bought for myself. I bought it while I was in college and basically broke but I needed a handgun at times so I bought the cheapest thing I could find. It cost me $50 brand new.

Believe it or not that thing was incredibly accurate when I first bought it. For years I amazed people with how that el cheapo, short barreled .25 shot. The thing was though it wouldn't feed worth a darn. Basically it was a single shot if you were lucky. It was just a matter of working the slide by hand and making sure the gun fed properly and then it would fire. And when it fired it was way more accurate than it had a right to be.

A big part of the reason it wouldn't feed is I couldn't figure out how to get the thing apart to clean it. It was years before I did. I finally got it apart and gave it a good cleaning. I put it back together and since that time it won't hit anything that isn't directly in front of the barrel less than 6" away. What a shame. I wish I could figure out what got changed so I could change it back. It wasn't match accurate or anything like that but I could hit a gallon jug at a respectable distance. It was plenty good enough for a pocket pistol which is what the thing is. It's also the epitome of the SNS so I never really expected much in the first place. I guess the old factory burned down and they set up a new one to build those things and the guns built in the new factory were never worth a darn. My mother bought one and it wouldn't hit anything.

Maybe some day I'll figure out how to get it back to where it shoots right and it will be clean enough to feed right. That's why I keep it around.

jeff-10
March 16, 2013, 09:26 PM
S&W 1076. I bought it for $350 a long time ago when the FBI and the police were given them up. I am pretty sure the one I own is an old police gun. It is very very inaccurate or at least me and everyone who I have ever had shoot it has found it to be. It's never been on a machine rest so it may be all of us but I have my doubts. I'll never sell it though, to much American sidearm history in that thing.

On the other hand my most accurate semi-automatic is a Kimber Stainless Target II in 10mm. I own only two semi-autos in 10mm and they happen to comprise my most and least accurate pistols.

SullyVols
March 17, 2013, 09:58 AM
s&w model 19-3. Target hammer, target trigger, action job, pinned barrel, recesses cylinder chambers and its nearly twice as old as I am but is in almost new condition.

Everything else is expendable.

Too be fair it also has the shortest barrel of all my guns.

5-SHOTS
March 17, 2013, 03:36 PM
I currently own five handguns: a Walther P99 AS 9x21 IMI cal., a Colt Government 380, a Ruger SP101 DAO, a Weihrauch HW9 ST Target Trophy .22L.R. and a Norinco TT-Olympia .22L.R.
The least accurate is the little Colt but I can't say it's inaccurate at all; a friend of mine did better with it than his Beretta 98FS 9x21 IMI cal., go figure! I found it very accurate with UMC 93gr FMJ-RN (it was an old yellow box). I was alot worse with a Beretta 84F .380 ACP and a Bernardelli striker fired .32ACP of 1954 I used to own...

xXxplosive
March 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Inherrent accuracy lends itself to the shooters ability only....that's all.....most guns are way more accurate then we are shooting them and a Ransome Rest will prove it.

OP should have asked IMO......Which gun that you own are you the most innacurate with..?

hrvatska1
March 17, 2013, 05:55 PM
My 8040 Beretta Cougar. I can't hit a damn thing with it but everyone else who shoots it can hit everything they aim at.

I keep it because it is so well made and I keep hoping I can finally shoot it one day.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

CNobbe
March 17, 2013, 06:08 PM
My S&W Governor with .410 shells.. I keep it around because it doesn't need to accurate!

Certaindeaf
March 17, 2013, 06:14 PM

I have a 1903 .32 Colt Hammerless semi auto. I can barely hit the target 50% of the time from 15 feet and I am not a bad shot. It is more inaccurate even than than my Ruger .39 LCR snubby. But I keep it since it is my oldest piece and I went to a lot of trouble to reassemble it from pieces. Plus I like to look at it. But I wish I could get it to shoot straight. Any suggestions?

Do you have any inaccurate pistols? Why do you keep it around? How can one improve the accuracy of an inaccurate piece? Just curious.
I don't mean to be insulting but fifteen feet? Those pistols are normally among the most accurate on the planet, regardless of size, caliber or age.

JRWhit
March 17, 2013, 06:18 PM
Intra tec tec-9
It's more of a see where it hits and walk it in type gun. Won't sell it because I know that when I got it I foolishly paid too much,and won't get it back out so in the safe it sits. I think it's the only gun I own that I just don't really have an attachment to. It is a lot of fun to shoot but it's accuracy was not considered when they made it. I'm not even sure why they put sights on it. I may be exaggerating it a little but it is by far the least accurate I own.

italy4nra
March 17, 2013, 06:35 PM
lol. good one

italy4nra
March 17, 2013, 06:45 PM
Nice thread.
My least accurate would be a Tula 53 SKS, although it is fit for purpose, and an old Winchester Model 250 lever action.

I keep the SKS because it fits my collection and I wouldn't call it completely inaccurate, though most sports shooters at the range chuckle.

And I keep the Winchester 250 because it has heart (but no barrel)

I try not to sell guns unless they fund making space for better additions to a collection of historic "assault weapons"
Not for collection are only a 12gauge and a G36, both accurate and fit for purpose.

I found reading the thread end to end very interesting. Many don't tolerate wonky or persnickity guns it seems. While I can respect this, I find it interesting and odd to me. I can see selling a gun for the money, but not out of scorn. As long as I have space and current income, I apply a statue of liberty policy to any firearm.

Inebriated
March 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
None of my handguns are inaccurate. I likely wouldn't keep one if it were.

SharpsDressedMan
March 17, 2013, 07:13 PM
Not inaccurate by conventional standards for vintage pocket autos, but my Beretta 1934 is not as accurate as my Walther or Colt .32's, nor most of my 1911's, but can easily stay on the chest of a 1/2 silhouette target at 25 yards with the issue sights (which are rounded a bit and hard to see clearly). It may be the LEAST accurate of my guns, but it is so darn simple and rugged by design that it can hardly break or jam, and that is what I like about it. It has a classy look, and just keeps running. I have never had to modify it (although the trigger could be smoothed and lightened), but it feeds everything.....so far.

Certaindeaf
March 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
I had a duckfoot once. I'd load three .45 balls per barrel. that thing was lame with whatever you stuffed down those holes.. and I stuffed them holes with everything.

25cschaefer
March 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
My Heritage Rough rider is unsafely inaccurate, I'm talking 8 ft off in unpredictable directions. I am keeping it for trade fodder to another gunsmithing student.

KenW.
March 18, 2013, 12:55 AM
Most inaccurate gun I own? Hands down the Bond Arms .410/45 Colt derringer. 3.5 inch barrel, 2.5 or 3 inch .410 shells. What's left?

But it sure is fun to have a double barrel shotgun in your pocket. You'll not win a bullseye competition with the .45 Colt load. It is quite painfull too.

Why keep it?

It's just downright fun!

HKGuns
March 18, 2013, 11:50 PM
I really don't own one that isn't accurate, I guess I'm just boring.

JohnsXDM
March 19, 2013, 02:09 AM
For me its a 1944 model 1895 Nagant, darn thing shoots high,,, and I mean HIGH! I keep it around just because its just a cool old gun.

ldlfh7
March 19, 2013, 06:12 PM
He is asking what gun is most inaccurate so all the replies talking about how none of your guns are inaccurate do not belong in this thread. If you don't have an inaccurate gun then why post?

SharpsDressedMan
March 20, 2013, 09:30 PM
I posted one that is less accurate than my others. That is why I posted. Inaccuracy is in the eyes of the beholder, or do we have an established MINIMUM posted that I missed somewhere?:rolleyes:

Thompsoncustom
March 20, 2013, 09:55 PM
less mechanically accurate....my glock 17 but still works good enough to get the job done.

OilyPablo
March 20, 2013, 10:05 PM
I am pretty surprised of the lack of accuracy of my Glock 17L. It shoots fine and is pretty accurate, but it's not a tack driver.

axeman_g
March 21, 2013, 09:01 AM
A HK 45C... I personally could not hit water with it if I tried to throw it in the ocean. My friend could make one ragged hole at 10yards with it. He now owns it. Mechanical accuracy, and H&R .22 929

mcdonl
March 21, 2013, 09:24 AM
I have had a few, but I just don't have much interest in guns that are not accurate.

I had trouble with the P3AT and LCP (wanted to try them both) and with a Taurus .357 so they are gone.

Everything I have now I can hit shoot well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKGuns
March 21, 2013, 10:26 AM
He is asking what gun is most inaccurate so all the replies talking about how none of your guns are inaccurate do not belong in this thread. If you don't have an inaccurate gun then why post?

Because I wanted to, good enough? I'll cut you some slack since you just joined in February, however, if that is all YOU can contribute why post?

Kayaker 1960
March 21, 2013, 10:55 AM
My 1st semi auto pistol was a S&W 9mm that I bought from a LEO freind. At 25 yards it shot about 18" groups. I sold it, at the time thinking that all semi autos must be like that. I also had an old model Ruger Ranch rifle, it shot about 10" groups at 100 yards. After trying to get better accuracy I gave up and sold it. Inacurate guns are of no interest to me. A handgun needs to shoot within 6" groups at 25 yards and a rifle needs to shoot at least within 6" at 100 yards. That isn't tack driver accuracy and of course I prefer better if I can get it.

WardenWolf
March 21, 2013, 11:20 AM
My only inaccurate gun was a Rock Island Armory 1911. That one got a trip back to the factory, free of charge.

kennedy
March 21, 2013, 10:48 PM
smith 4043 because its DAO, I keep it because its a great finger control training gun, for the poster that had problems with his high standard double nine, mine is very accurate, just takes practice

JoePfeiffer
March 22, 2013, 02:59 AM

Because if you own two guns then one is less accurate than the other.

highpower
March 22, 2013, 11:40 PM
By far and away these are the most inaccurate pistols that I have ever owned. Of course, it is largely because they no longer have any bores to speak of.

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/C96-Mauser/i-FgcMJbG/0/XL/IMG_1794-XL.jpg

wlewisiii
March 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
I don't keep them if they are inaccurate. I am a bad enough shot; if the firearm can not do it's job in a rest, it gets sold.

That said, there are far fewer inaccurate firearms than there are poor shooters who think they're better than they really are; myself included, alas.

PS: Highpower, I had one of those as well. It shot just as poorly after relining as it did before. I hope the gentleman who bought it is happy with it as I was honest in the ad.

hemiram
March 24, 2013, 02:51 AM
Most inaccurate would be my Astra A-100, but it's just slightly less accurate than the next one, my S&W 4586. I've had two A-80's and the A-100, and all have been totally acceptable. Worst gun I ever had, accuracy wise, was my AMT back up 380 DA. Not so much from the barrel/slide fit, it was the insanely high effort it took to pull the trigger, making shooting it painful, and aiming it a kind of a hoping thing. After shooting a mag, a bleeding finger was the usual result.

All my other guns seem about the same, and all are better than I am anyways.

socalbeachbum
June 26, 2013, 12:18 PM
by far, my Luger 1917 Navy model, a horrible shooter, with terrible sights.

I kept it only because my uncle brought it back from WWII

Hunter125
June 26, 2013, 12:56 PM
I have a Rohm .22 short revolver that I can barely hit a coffee can with at 7 yards. I keep it because it's the only gun I have from my grandfather. And I'd probably only get about $3 for it if I tried to sell or trade it.

ez45
June 27, 2013, 12:55 PM
I had a walther p99 in 40 cal and just couldn't shoot it very accurately. Went shooting with my brother one day and he couldn't miss with it. One ragged hole groups every time. Usually we are pretty equal when it comes to accuracy.

I tried changing the grips out and everything but this pistol and I did not go together. It was like trying to mix water and oil. Finally, the last time I went to the range with the walther and my brother and he was still shooting it like an Olympic champion I gave up and gave it to him. I just couldn't stand between them anymore. :)

Hyrulejedi86
June 27, 2013, 01:53 PM
My cousin has a keltec 9mm that shoots 6 inches high above the sights max adjustment at 15 feet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

History.Doc
June 27, 2013, 03:32 PM
I have come to know that I can't outshoot any of my guns. Like the computer guys say: I need to upgrade my user.

Magnuumpwr
June 27, 2013, 10:47 PM
I have more than a couple that include a Taurus PT101, Llama minimax 45ACP, and 1 or 2 more than I can't think of off hand. The reason I still have them, why would I sell someone something I know is faulty? It's not hurting me to keep them.

rondog
June 28, 2013, 12:10 AM
This little toad, a Rohm RG10 in .22 short. I only keep it because it was my grandpa's nightstand gun. I don't know WHAT he was thinking! Can't hit a barn from the inside with it.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/my%20handguns/DSCN2804.jpg

Mat, not doormat
June 30, 2013, 01:49 AM
I've only got one that's actually poor. Of course, my collection is biased toward long barrels and target sights, so perhaps that's not surprising. Even my P32, though, is pretty good by pocket pistol standards.

The one exception, though can just barely be counted on to throw its balls in a general forward direction. It's a muzzle loading single shot percussion pistol that my granddad built from a kit. He called it the noisemaker. I can hardly claim it's useful, but still it stays around. I must be sentimental.

Catpop
July 1, 2013, 08:35 AM
Most inaccurate pistols still have a purpose- the fear factor! A gun aimed at me still seems to get my attention very quickly! So keep plenty around- one hidden in each room of the house, in the car, in the shed, in your shoe, in your drawers, etc. Its like they say about no oil in care engine "Any oil is better than no oil!"
Actually another use, put them out to fool the burglars and keep the good stuff hidden.
I also have an RG 22-almost accurate enough to hit a 55gal barrel at 10 yards, But not powerful to penetrate! Yes the fear factor as the ricochet almost hit ME! Some 30 years ago!
My problem is I can't seem to part with any gun- so they just hang around. Its like being a kid in a candy store when I start dragging them out! I almost would swear they are breeding as I find ones I don't even remember acquiring.

Hondo 60
July 1, 2013, 11:27 AM
My most inaccurate, is probably a Charter Undercover (Model 73820)
I keep it around because it was my very first handgun.

http://www.jbabcock.net/guns/73820.jpg

Deus Machina
July 2, 2013, 04:24 AM
My first CCW was a used S&W 469.
Loved that thing for the most part. Would eat rocks if I could fit them in the mag, never failed to fire.
But the grip was also the absolute worst fit for my hand. Comfortable but it would always shoot low and, inconsistently, to the right.
I understood it was a belly gun and knew to limit it to that.
Sold it as part of the trade-in for my CZ PCR, which shoots better than I do and carries a little nicer. Had it for years, and it will take wild horses to separate me from it.

pockets
July 2, 2013, 08:20 AM
What is the most inaccurate pistol you own?
I would say my 'Reck LA Fury'.

Why do you keep it around?
Why not?
Is it mandatory that every handgun I own make one hole groups at 300 yards?
Can't I own some of them simply because they are fun, or interesting, or 'just because'?

22-rimfire
July 2, 2013, 06:39 PM
My most inaccurate gun is a Glock 22. I don't think I could hit a 5-gallon can at 10 yds with it. It shoots about 3 feet low at 25 feet. I keep it because I won't sell someone junk and I keep procrastenating that I am going to run it down to Smyrna GA to have them look it over. I can't figure out what the problem is. Probably will end up with a new barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the most inaccurate pistol you own? Why do you keep it around?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!