600 teachers sign up for Firearm training in Ohio

PDA

wacki
January 5, 2013, 12:28 AM
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8709

Buckeye Firearms Association (BFA) announced they have launched a program to provide firearm training to teachers free of charge. The announcement was made at a Town Hall Meeting at Ohio State University Thursday evening where participants debated the gun control issue in light of the recent mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

So far, the Armed Teacher Training Program has attracted more than 600 applicants from all parts of Ohio and several from other states,

If you enjoyed reading about "600 teachers sign up for Firearm training in Ohio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wacki
January 5, 2013, 12:33 AM
I really think the NRA missed the boat here. These things seem to be extremely successful. The best defense is a good offense and self preservation of ones own life is a great way to get people interested in firearm ownership.

xjsnake
January 5, 2013, 12:49 AM
I've not gotten a carry permit because I can't carry at work (high school teacher) but if we get the ability to carry (bill introduced here in tn) I'll be the first in line to pay whatever it costs to be able to defend the lives of my students.

jmace57
January 5, 2013, 01:03 AM
A gun store owner here in the Houston, TX area (Spring) is offereing free CHL classes to all teachers and administrators.

WHOOPS - already covered in another post - sorry.

1911 guy
January 5, 2013, 03:00 AM
As a parent with kids in Ohio public schools, I think this is outstanding.

mastiffhound
January 5, 2013, 04:31 AM
I'm proud that our teachers care about their kids. I wonder why New York and other anti 2A states have such a problem with this? My nieces and nephew will be that much safer. I will tell you this though, they have off-duty police officers in some Ohio schools already. I went to school in the country, we didn't have any. My brothers, nieces, and nephew went or are going to school in the city and they have off duty police in their schools. They also have metal detectors. It looks like only a few states are out of touch with reality and have their heads in the sand. Denial must go hand in hand with ignorance.

Some of the best teachers I had were gun enthusiasts. In the country we even got days off during dear season to hunt! Our geometry teacher actually gave us problems to solve that were related to bullet trajectories. My Honors American History teacher was the biggest gun enthusiast in our school. He said that without firearms we would all be drinking tea and have bad teeth. I can honestly say I never had a teacher badmouth the 2nd amendment. It must have something to do with living in the city or something. I was lucky and had some really great teachers. They do not get the recognition or pay that they deserve!

harrygunner
January 5, 2013, 06:16 PM
Good for them. Happy to see there are brave souls among those educating our children.

HorseSoldier
January 5, 2013, 07:53 PM
Putting some sort of immediate armed response in every school in the US is the only truly effective form of target hardening I can see. As long as you give a bad guy freedom to maneuver in a structure full of unarmed victims he wins every time. Mag limits, outlawing scary guns, whatever else makes zero difference -- the CT school shooter could have racked up the same body count with a pump shotgun plugged for duck hunting and a shot bag of buckshot or slugs draped over his shoulder.

Of the options available, allowing school employees to carry concealed personally owned firearms after training courses or demonstrating competence with weapons by shooting some sort of qual course/test makes the most economic sense. First it is much less expensive than trying to park a cop or armed security guard in every school. Second, announcing teachers and other school system employees will be allowed to carry concealed makes every school a harder target because the bad guys don't know how much resistance they might face. Third, it distributes potential threats to a school shooter in an unknown manner -- security or police may rove or be out of their offices throughout the day, but in a Columbine kind of scenario where the shooters are able to case the target by being students there, routines and patterns may become known and exploited. School shooters are not the most sophisticated criminals out there, but TV, movies and video games provide enough pointers on tactics and trade craft that most anyone can cobble together a working plan for a third rate SEAL Team 6 imitation when the direct action target is a bunch of unarmed victims.

The only downside I can see on this one is what happens if a certified school system employee somewhere has a bad shoot and uses deadly force inappropriately. I think it is a pretty remote possibility, but the media backlash from something like that would be monumental.

Jeff H
January 5, 2013, 09:13 PM
As a parent with kids in Ohio public schools, I think this is outstanding.

As another parent with kids in Ohio public schools, I agree with the above poster but I'm not sure how or if this would be legal. IIRC, parents can only carry on school property if they are directly dropping off or picking up kids. I never read anything in the statute that says teachers can carry. I hope I just missed that part and it is actually in the law somewhere.

1911 guy
January 5, 2013, 09:17 PM
I believe Ohio leaves the carry status of employees up to the district. Non-employees (you and I ) are subject to the gunbuster sign.

Between you, me and the doorpost, I'm alright with that if they allow trained employees to carry. It's far better than the free fire zones we have now.

wacki
January 10, 2013, 02:20 AM
Another article:

Free gun courses aimed at teachers and school administrators in Utah, Texas, North Carolina and Ohio have attracted hundreds of applicants in the wake of the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

Where are the rest of the states?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/teachers-flock-gun-courses-gun-violence-debate-heats-193652302.html

Teachers flock to gun courses as gun-violence debate heats up
Liz Goodwin, Yahoo! News | The Lookout 10 hrs ago

If you enjoyed reading about "600 teachers sign up for Firearm training in Ohio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!