Price check: Original recipe 640 in .357

PDA

sidheshooter
January 5, 2013, 02:54 AM
The pre-lock centennial J with the 2 1/8" barrel and the pinned in front sight.

Super clean, from a buddy of mine who is ex-LE selling off some safe queens from his working days. I see them breaking 6 bills on GB, so I'm thinking that his offer ($500) is fair.

Thoughts? I don't personally feel any sort of need for a snubby in .357 at this stage of my life, but there's no law (for now, heh) that says I can't use .38 +P or Speer's 135 gr GDHP "Lite" in the thing...

Thoughts on price, or any experience with the 640s?

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check: Original recipe 640 in .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PabloJ
January 5, 2013, 07:55 AM
New Magnum J-frames seem to run about $650 around here so $500 for used standard J-framed gun is very reasonable offer. I have bought 9mm version and my thoughts are: the trigger pull is heavy and sights plus original grips are next to worthless. When I get done with white, orange, black modeling paint and put new extended grip from S&W on it will be ok firearm.

savit260
January 5, 2013, 05:02 PM
Sounds like a fair enough price for a pre-lock 640 to me.

Those aren't bad to shoot with 38+P's.

Not the worst thing in the world with 357's, but still not fun.

sidheshooter
January 6, 2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

jp9mm
January 6, 2013, 05:57 PM
The pre-lock centennial J with the 2 1/8" barrel and the pinned in front sight.

Super clean, from a buddy of mine who is ex-LE selling off some safe queens from his working days. I see them breaking 6 bills on GB, so I'm thinking that his offer ($500) is fair.

Thoughts? I don't personally feel any sort of need for a snubby in .357 at this stage of my life, but there's no law (for now, heh) that says I can't use .38 +P or Speer's 135 gr GDHP "Lite" in the thing...

Thoughts on price, or any experience with the 640s?

Thanks in advance!

I have one in .38spl/ +p, selling for 400.
nice smooth da pull
i don't know why the 357 is worth 200 more when your just shooting .38

PabloJ
January 6, 2013, 06:54 PM
I have one in .38spl/ +p, selling for 400.
nice smooth da pull
i don't know why the 357 is worth 200 more when your just shooting .38
The same reason four wheel drive pickups are worth more then two-wheel drive ones. The only reason Ruger offers something like LCR in both .38 and 357 is more "shelf space" at gun stores.

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check: Original recipe 640 in .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!