Just thinkin" about .35 remington and BP

PDA

Saddlebag Preacher
January 5, 2013, 04:54 PM
with all the brass I've wasted leaving .35 remington brass laying in the field after deer hunting, I wonder if it could be reloaded with BP and a lead bullet for fun. I use them in a Marlin 336.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just thinkin" about .35 remington and BP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kBob
January 5, 2013, 06:04 PM
My guess is it depends on the twist of the barrels rifling and you said Marlin which features micro groove rifling I believe. Some folks report bad things happening to accuracy with lead smokeless loads in .30-30 in microgroove marlins. This was one of the arguements against Marlins in the Winchester verses Marlin debate among the post nuclear war variety of lower case survivalist back before the fall of the evil empire and the Y2K flavor of survivalist later.

Winchester reputedly came out with the .32 Special chambering in there Model 1894 becasue the twist used in the .30-30 was to "tight" for BP loadings. So not only was the cartridge changed but the rifle besides having a new chamber had much slower twist rifling.

Might be interesting to compare the twist on a modern .35 Remmington with an old BP era .38-55 Winchester that was meant for lead bullets and BP.

But this is just sitting round the cracker barrel thinking here......

-kBob

Busyhands94
January 6, 2013, 11:48 PM
That might be an interesting thing to try. I have been contemplated getting some dyes and molds and a .30-06 rifle, but I'd NEED to try loading it with BP. Sure, smokeless has it's place. But blackpowder is a lot of fun to reload with!

If you enjoyed reading about "Just thinkin" about .35 remington and BP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!