Picked up another oddball

PDA

Steel Horse Rider
January 6, 2013, 01:02 AM
While in my local gun store this morning (they were doing a booming business) a fellow brought in an old crud covered bolt action rifle for an appraisal. The gunsmith told him that he didn't really have the time to do it at that moment but that (motioning to me) he might be able to help. The old gentleman relayed to me the story of how his grandfather had owned a store in South Dakota near the Indian Reservations in the early 1900's and did a lot of trading with the resident Indians. He had traded for an old Dutch Beaumont bolt action rifle and it had been left to him when his grandfather passed away. It had set in his attic store room since and his wife had "suggested" that he get rid of it since it was evident that he was not interested in restoring, shooting, or otherwise maintaining it and that if he got a hundred dollars for it he would be happy. After a brief examination on my part, not finding anything rusted solid or any apparent missing parts except for the cleaning rod, I gave him the hundred dollars and he gave me the gun. (This took place off the gun shop premises if anyone is wondering) Here is a link to what it should look like cleaned up: http://www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/dbmt.html

My question: Do any of you have any knowledge of these rifles? I spent a couple hours cleaning, rubbing, and lubricating tonight and while the bore is a little rough the action is very smooth. I found a date of 1876 stamped into the receiver and on the stock. I think I can still get brass, or make brass that will work so I can enjoy taking a few shots with another "blast from the past". I have sure enjoyed shooting my Podewils-Lindner from the 1860's once I learned how to make the paper cartridges required by it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up another oddball" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
murdoc rose
January 6, 2013, 01:13 AM
Wow didn't have time to look at that, that's impressive. Buffaloarms should have brass. I would consider it a candidate for a chamber cast.

7.62 Nato
January 6, 2013, 01:19 AM
Wow, that's different. (I like different).

Jim K
January 7, 2013, 04:17 PM
The original 1871 Dutch Beaumont was a single shot rifle; in 1888 it was modified into a repeater by installation of a Vitali-type magazine, most familiar to us on the Italian Vetterli-Vitali.

Buffaloarms lists the ammunition 11x52R but says out of stock. It is also called the .43 Beaumont or .43 Dutch. It is very similar to the .43 Egyptian, but may not be interchangeable.

Jim

horsemen61
January 7, 2013, 04:21 PM
very cool so I guess you are going to restore it?

Steel Horse Rider
January 7, 2013, 06:26 PM
I spent about 4 hours on it this weekend. The bolt, stock, magazine, and the outside of the barrel cleaned up very nicely with steel wool, CLP, Murphy's Oil Soap on the stock, and some Birchwood Casey Stock Conditioner. The bore is not being so cooperative. The rifling is very crisp and clear but the grooves have some corrosion or fouling that is being persistent. I have alternated Hoppes Number 9, CLP, and a Hornady silicone based cleaner using a 45 cal bore brush, patches, the bore brush and more patches. I wet the bore down with oil and left it last night so when I get home tonight I will resume the process and see if the grooves will get any better. I am sure it is going to have some pitting in the grooves but given the age of the piece and the sharpness of the rifling I think it should shoot pretty well. I have found several good bits of information on making casings from 50-90 Sharps brass so I think it should live again.

303tom
January 7, 2013, 10:19 PM
That is a good looking old rifle, it`s high but Midway has brass for it............Good Luck with her.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/582258/bertram-reloading-brass-43-egyptian-box-of-20

Adam the Gnome
January 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
That will be super nice! Crazy it will cost as much to load it as you paid for the rifle!

Sent from my evil black iPhone

Steel Horse Rider
January 15, 2013, 03:26 PM
Actually I found some Bertram Brass in the appropriate 11.3 x 50R size and dies are available at both RCBS and CH 4D. My local gun shop has some hard cast .457 dia 258 grain bullets that I think will work. We also did a chamber cast to confirm the dimensions of the chamber and found that the throat is in "as new" condition with very crisp rifling. The rest of this weekend was spent repairing the stock on a type 38 Arisaka carbine.

Adam the Gnome
January 15, 2013, 03:44 PM
Sounds like you will have a real nice shooter. Heck of a find. Don't forget pictures!

Sent from my evil black iPhone

tahunua001
January 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
man that is a goofy looking rifle but considering it was one of the first bolt actions ever and black powder to boot I bet it was a real blast to shoot.

CarolinaChuck
January 24, 2013, 05:33 PM
Some stuff I have seen on those old rifles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=756GzbChGD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3qT3S4jPk

Chuck

Steel Horse Rider
January 26, 2013, 04:17 PM
I ordered 40 rounds of loaded ammunition from a place in Wisconsin this morning. I'll let you know how it shoots when the ammo arrives. :D

gp911
January 26, 2013, 10:25 PM
You might try Kroil in the bore, plug one end and fill 'er up, let it sit overnight. If that doesn't break up the crud in the grooves I don't know what will.

Steel Horse Rider
January 26, 2013, 11:06 PM
I have my home brew mix of ATF, mineral spirits, and acetone waiting. It did a great job freeing the sling loops as they were frozen in place. Today I was bad and went black powder shooting instead of working on guns.....

Twmaster
January 27, 2013, 12:31 AM
That is a way cool find. I love old bolt guns.

jim in Anchorage
January 27, 2013, 01:50 PM
Some stuff I have seen on those old rifles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=756GzbChGD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3qT3S4jPk

Chuck
Neat video. I find it funny that shooter #2 has no idea how to use the rear rabbet ear bag.

jk2008
May 20, 2013, 08:56 PM
This thread has been idle for a while, but since I recently bought a Dutch Beaumont rifle myself, I thought I'd ask for an update from Steel Horse Rider on his Dutch Beaumont. How did it perform at the range? Have you tried making your own ammo for it? Any details would be appreciated.

backbencher
May 21, 2013, 12:49 PM
Suppress, shoot hogs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up another oddball" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!