Problems with .45 acp reloads

PDA

Caterpillar
January 6, 2013, 10:50 AM
I started reloading for my .45 pistol. Going by my Lyman book, I'm using 4.5 grains of 700x, (max load is 4.8), federal primers and sierra 230 fmj ball. They all go bang, but some of them are much lower pressure than factory ammo, causing stovepiping from the action not coming back with enough force. some feel ok. I'm pretty meticulous as to charge weight and overall length of 1.275. I'm just not understanding why I'm not getting any consistency. I also notice a lot of powder residue on the shooting bench after I fire these rounds. The only thing I can think of is the 700x is either bad or the Lyman book is not giving me the correct powder as it might be too slow burning. I want to try some other powders eventually, I just can't find any right now. Any advice is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems with .45 acp reloads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
January 6, 2013, 10:57 AM
WSF or W-231 and if you are cleaning your cases with a liquid...STOP!!

steve4102
January 6, 2013, 11:03 AM
Hodgdon lists 4.4gr to 4.9gr.

Sierra lists 3.9gr to 5.0gr.

According to Hodgdon you are right at the Start charge, bump it up in small increments and see if it clears up.

New powder? WST is your friend.:)

soloban
January 6, 2013, 11:08 AM
I tried near max loads of 700x with 230Gr FMJs in my .45ACP loads and found they were still far too anemic, hard to meter with my Lee Powder Measures. Agree with Bushmaster & Steve, try WSF, W231, or WST. Personally I use a near Max load of PowerPistol and get excellent accuracy and a clean burn in my 5" 1911. I've got a half pound of 700x that I'd give away just to get rid of it.

My $0.02... keep looking for powder and give up on 700x in the .45ACP.

Caterpillar
January 6, 2013, 11:10 AM
No, I'm just tumbling the cases to clean them, I started where Lyman suggested at 3.6 grains, which would not even cycle the action. I went to 4.0 which seemed better, but nothing like regular American eagle ammo. I even went as far as weighing each powder charge because I thought my uniflow was giving me the inconsistency. I'm going to make some this afternoon with a different can of 700x I have and see what happens.

Sam1911
January 6, 2013, 11:16 AM
Seems to be a chorus of "NOT 700x" here.

So, opening another can and doing the same thing over again ... what was it Einstien said about, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?" :)

There are usually MANY powders that can work in a given cartridge. There are usually a handful of those powders that are really GOOD in that cartridge. Just because there is loading data for a certain powder doesn't mean it will make loads that work well for you.

The guys are giving you good advice. Use a more appropriate powder.

tightgroup tiger
January 6, 2013, 11:16 AM
I think your powder or primers may be getting contaminated from something your doing in your loading proceedure. Look at everything you are doing in cleaning your cases, lubing your press, are you using wd-40 around your loading equipment or on it? Wd-40 and other lubricants will ruin your primers and powder.

Lyman book is not giving me the correct powder as it might be too slow burning.

700x is not to slow burning. Its around Bullseye on Hodgdons burn rate chart.

I'm changing what I originally said, after reading several other complaints about what you are expiriencing I have to agree that their are better powders out there like Sam 1911 said.

cfullgraf
January 6, 2013, 11:26 AM
I have been using 700-X in the 45 ACP for 30 years. Works great but does have the flake powder issues with metering.

I would up the charge a bit.

wankerjake
January 6, 2013, 11:29 AM
I would certainly work up to 5 grains before I gave up on it, especially if it's all you have. I haven't used 700-x in 45, but was going to give it a try eventually.

NELSONs02
January 6, 2013, 12:01 PM
My go-to 45 acp load:

Missouri Bullet 225 grain flathead
5.3 grains of W231
1.220 oal

bluetopper
January 6, 2013, 12:08 PM
There's nothing in the world wrong with 700X powder, it's great in 45acp.
Up the charge to 4.8gr. I think your problems will go away.
Reloading manuals are merely a guide. They are not a Bible.
A person must assess what conditions are going on in "your" gun with "your" reloads then go from there.

rcmodel
January 6, 2013, 12:47 PM
+1

Bump up the load and it will work.

4.9 gives 842 FPS @ 16,600 cup, and that will cycle your slide I betcha!

rc

FROGO207
January 6, 2013, 02:01 PM
I have several kegs of 700-X and use it in my 45 ACP ammo with great results but use a higher charge than you are to do that. You do need to bump it up a bit IMHO-----4.9 grains or thereabouts will work well I bet.:cool: I use 4.7 grains for my 230 lead bullets to work well FWIW. My second choice is 231/HP-38 but do not have nearly as much of that ahead presently.

sourdough44
January 6, 2013, 02:43 PM
I don't know that powder, but light charges in a semi-auto can lead to stove-pipes. I usually like a medium or faster burning powder for most loads. For the 45 acp I use Titegroup & H Universal, generally in the mid charge range. Win 231 would be a top choice too, as others.

rcmodel
January 6, 2013, 04:00 PM
The thing is though, 700-X is slightly slower then Bullseye.

And Bullseye was the standard military powder used in the .45 ACP from 1911 until some time during or after WWII.

700-X will work just fine if you use enough of it to cycle the slide.

rc

HighExpert
January 11, 2013, 12:52 AM
700x will work but BE is better. I wonder about your taper crimp. With a slower powder it need to be delayed a little to build its pressure. Could be an issue. Good luck.

jp9mm
January 11, 2013, 01:02 AM
Ive been loading 200gr swc's and 230gr hps with power pistol and blue dot. midrange charges with no issues in my 1911 or p220

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems with .45 acp reloads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!