What to purchase...

PDA

Bryan8605
January 6, 2013, 08:37 PM
First time poster here. I'm sure many of you get this question alot. I own a glock 26, and it is my main carry weapon. I also have a glock 20 for woods/ home defense, and a Smith and Wesson SD40VE. I am looking to purchase a new handgun. I realy like glocks and M&Ps. I was looking at several including a Glock 17, a Glock 23, a S&W bodyguard for summer carry, and an M&P 45 compact. Maybe, if I have the money, i'll spring for a Sig. I do like to carry and would be interested in something that can fill a general purpose roll, including target, carry, and backup home defense. I realize that my choices are all over the place, but hey, I love guns and they are all fun to play with right. Don't we all. If you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have a suggestion that is not on the list, i'm open to it. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What to purchase..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Johnny Lightning
January 6, 2013, 08:48 PM
Try out a 1911 or a wheel gun...diversify your collection!

Jed Carter
January 6, 2013, 08:54 PM
One of the best all around pistols ever, G19 Glock, however no pistol collection is complete without a M1911-A1, IMO. Really only you can decide what to get, go to a local range that rents pistols and try some out

Bryan8605
January 6, 2013, 08:55 PM
Thank you much for the reply. I had a 1911, a sprinfield armory "loaded", i think it was. Traded it for Glock 20. I thought it was very heavy for woods carry all day long. I do love the 45 ACP round. As for revolvers, I find I do not like their round limitations, however, I do like their general dead nuts reliability.

Bryan8605
January 6, 2013, 08:58 PM
Thank you for the reply Mr. Carter. I calculated the cost at my local range to their limited range of pistols and found it to be quite cost prohibitive. Range session $20, Pistol rental $10 plus the cost of targets and their ammo. Pretty expensive, but may be the best option.

Bryan8605
January 6, 2013, 09:00 PM
I think I may have to go for the M&P45 compact. Hard hitting 45 ACP is a caliber I do not own at the moment, light enough to carry, can serve as a HD gun. Sounds pretty good.

Johnny Lightning
January 6, 2013, 09:18 PM
How about a Dan Wesson Guardian? Light weight, .45 cal, accurate, attractive, and concealable. A bit pricy though.

Bryan8605
January 6, 2013, 09:27 PM
The Dan wesson Guardian is a very nice pistol indeed. And you're right it is very expensive. I have a family friend who owns a Dan Wesson 44 Mag from, I believe, the 1980's. Beautifully made revolver with rich bluing. Thank you for your reply.

wacki
January 6, 2013, 09:34 PM
Walther P99AS and the Sig Sauer P226/9 are my favorites right now.

The sig is nice because you can swap out the slide and go .357, .40, 9mm, .22 and have 4 guns in 1.

I also like the FNX9 and FNX45 tactical.

Bryan8605
January 6, 2013, 09:51 PM
I wasn't aware a sig could do that. Is the P229 capable of those caliber conversions as well. If so, it would seem like a great all around pistol.

hwmoore
January 8, 2013, 03:58 AM
I have a glock gen4 23 but I hate the finger groves, I did pick up a used gen2 22 LEO turn in that I found cheep enough to play with. I stippled the grips changed out the 8 lb triger for a 3.5, polished the internals, and had the night sights replaced :) but If i were you I'd look for a 22 cal to add to the mix if you don't have one just for giggles

tarosean
January 8, 2013, 05:30 AM
S&W bodyguard for summer carry, and an M&P 45 compact
As for revolvers, I find I do not like their round limitations, however, I do like their general dead nuts reliability.

Yet, you list two guns that revolvers can match in round count.
S&W 686 7rd.
S&W TRR8 8rd.

bannockburn
January 8, 2013, 10:03 AM
My choice for a decent all-around gun for you would be a Glock 19, CZ P-01, or a SIG P229. For a smaller CCW gun the S&W Bodyguard .380 is a good choice, as well as one of my favorites, the SIG P238.

If you enjoyed reading about "What to purchase..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!