Walther PPQ discontinued

PDA

wow6599
January 6, 2013, 10:23 PM
Well, after 2 short years, it looks like Walther will no longer be making the PPQ, or they won't be shipping them to America.

And is S&W still the distributor for Walther in America, or did they set-up shop here?

No matter, I am a little ticked right now. With the change to the mag release, the mags won't be compatible. And parts?

Anybody have any more news on what Walther is doing?

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther PPQ discontinued" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wacki
January 6, 2013, 10:31 PM
wow. I was planning on buying one. Weird time to discontinue a pistol. I would of assumed they couldn't ship them out the door fast enough right now.

wow6599
January 6, 2013, 10:40 PM
Technically you can still get one, but it's called a PPQ M2, and it has a standard mag release. I think it's going to be available in 4" or 5" lengths.

They are still on S&W's "Walther" site, but gone from Walther's site.
Do a search and you'll see the original PPQ is no more.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13102&content=11001

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/

Quick Shot xMLx
January 6, 2013, 10:42 PM
Damn I've been wanting a PPQ for a while. I wanted one with that Walther/HK style mag release, always thought that was nice.

sigarms228
January 6, 2013, 11:13 PM
Parts will be avilable as the only mechanical change that I have heard of so far is the magazine release system. The paddle release is the same as that on the P99 which is still made.

Magazines will also continue to be available since they are the same magazines as used in the Walther P99 series that is still very popular, especially in Europe.

A positive side effect is that I expect that the orginal Walther PPQ will carry a premium on the used market where it may very well be worth more than what most payed for them new. New Walther PPQs are currently selling for as much as $1025 on Gunbroker!!

AgentV3
January 6, 2013, 11:31 PM
I just finished looking at the manual for the M2, and other than it's magazine release, the pistol itself is the same as the old one. I did note a few drawbacks, though. The new magazine release is ambidextrous, but has to be reversed before using it left-handed, the old PPQ and P99 don't need to be reconfigured to be used left-handed. Also, the magazine is different in the M2, it looks similar to the old magazine, but whereas the old magazine has one catch notch on the right hand side of the body, the new one has two notches on both the left and right hand side to accommodate the new release. What was great about the old PPQ is you could interchange magazines with the P99, they were identical in design, you can't do that with this new one.

Don't let that sway you from getting one if you're still interested in it, the trigger is probably one of the best I've ever felt in a striker-fired pistol, and the grip almost melts into your hand.

Edit: looks like I got beaten to the punch, I need to type faster :o.

RBid
January 7, 2013, 02:39 AM
The second gen P99 mags and PPQ mags are the same part. They are made by Mecgar, who supplies an identical part for a Magnum Research clone of the P99.

The part number for the MR branded mag is:
Magfa915

They cost about half what the Walther branded mags run.

Ehtereon11B
January 7, 2013, 06:08 AM
I always looked at the PPQ as a serious downgrade from the P99 in terms of functionality. As well as getting way to close to copying Glock's playbook and designs. The only thing I liked about the PPQ was it has more slots in the rail compared to the P99. Seems after S&W merged with Walther everything started going downhill.

mgmorden
January 7, 2013, 10:21 AM
Seems after S&W merged with Walther everything started going downhill.

I don't think S&W merged with Walther. They're just the US distributor. A lot of foreign companies like Glock, CZ, Beretta, etc setup US subsidiaries to import their products but Walther chose to partner with S&W.

Anyways, I never had really looked into the PPQ, but the PPX is looking potentially very interesting from a price perspective. $449 MSRP should translate to around $349 or so street price.

RBid
January 7, 2013, 12:18 PM
S&W *was* importing Walthers for them. Walther is doing it directly, as of this month.

As for the PPQ being a step down from the P99, many of us disagree. The reliability is the same, and the only real difference is the trigger mechanism. As it happens, that trigger is brilliantly executed. The P99 AS has a great trigger in its own right, but these are different, rather than better or worse. For my money, I prefer the PPQ trigger.

The true Walthers, as opposed to Umarex pistols, are fantastic. P99, PPQ, PPK, PPS... all quality. I expect the PPX to be a great pistol, as well. The PK380 and P22 are Umarex, and are simply not in the same league.

sleepyone
January 7, 2013, 12:20 PM
The mag release did not work for me. It felt awkward to use my trigger finger to drop a mag when my thumb is already right above the mag release on a normal pistol. I tried using my thumb to work the PPQ mag release but it did not reach. Other than that, it was a very comfortable gun to hold. Never got a chance to shoot one.

CPshooter
January 7, 2013, 05:19 PM
The mag release did not work for me. It felt awkward to use my trigger finger to drop a mag when my thumb is already right above the mag release on a normal pistol. I tried using my thumb to work the PPQ mag release but it did not reach. Other than that, it was a very comfortable gun to hold. Never got a chance to shoot one.
Sounds like you'll really like the new PPQ M2 then with its button style mag release.

Me? I prefer the paddle mag release. Really disappointed by this news, but after acquiring a PPS and liking the trigger on that, I think I might try to find a P99 QA for my next gun instead of the PPQ like I had planned.

Anyone know if a trigger job can be done to the QA trigger of the P99 to bring it down from 8 lbs to roughly 5.5 lbs? The travel/feel of the trigger is remarkably similar to Glock's stock trigger pull, except that it's slightly higher in pull weight. Supposedly 8 lbs vs. Glock's ~ 6 lbs. The PPQ trigger is stellar, but if I can get a P99 QA trigger down to around 5-6 lbs, I would be more than happy with that. Besides, I prefer the lack of front cocking serrations on the P99 and grip ergos are still very good. Not quite as contoured, but the overall shape is basically the same.

HKGuns
January 7, 2013, 09:10 PM
That is GREAT news. My PPQ is now worth a lot more money after such a short production run!

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v26/p1009495854-5.jpg

WinThePennant
January 7, 2013, 10:25 PM
I think they were probably having trouble penetrating the American market because of that innovative mag release. And, when I say 'innovative,' I mean it. I really like that mag release. But, a lot of people don't want to relearn how to drop a mag.

HKGuns
January 7, 2013, 10:47 PM
It won't be a German pistol with that silly looking button on the side.

I far prefer the HK paddles to the thin PPQ release, but I like both better than the button you find on most other pistols.

wow6599
January 7, 2013, 10:57 PM
That is GREAT news. My PPQ is now worth a lot more money after such a short production run!

I have no plans on getting rid of mine, but that's an interesting thought. I really like the gun; stocked up on 5 Walther and 4 MR mags and a holster so it's here to stay.

Okiegunner
January 7, 2013, 11:54 PM
I was at 2 LGS and at a Cabelas today in Ft. Worth, Texas. All were sold out of P99 and PPQ.

meanmrmustard
January 8, 2013, 09:02 PM
I was at 2 LGS and at a Cabelas today in Ft. Worth, Texas. All were sold out of P99 and PPQ.
Mine too. I nearly cried.

CarlJ
January 8, 2013, 10:05 PM
I wonder what my less than year old PPQ with only 200 rounds through it would bring?

Everything is for sale at a price! :D

Pilot
January 8, 2013, 10:20 PM
Instant collectors items! I'm sure they'll command .45 Luger prices in the near future. :D

(well maybe if this gun ban crap continues) :fire:

balance 740
January 9, 2013, 12:21 AM
It won't be a German pistol with that silly looking button on the side.

I far prefer the HK paddles to the thin PPQ release, but I like both better than the button you find on most other pistols.

Even H&K would be willing to add a button release in order to penetrate the US market with their striker fired pistol.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/131124-striker-fired-p40.html

Post #3:

Samples are in the US for HK eval but no further details beyond it looks like a P30 without a hammer and may have push button mag relases versus the typical USP-style levers - still TBD. My guess it is will be in Vegas in January at the SHOT Show.

The reason why in post #8:

Not yet been decided. Samples have been made with both styles. The HK mag release levers have been a hard sell to some agencies who are accustomed to buttons and that alone can leave you out in the cold on bids so it is a valid consideration.

Obviously, no progress seems to have been made with the P40, but H&K had the same idea. They're still German to me.

Though I can't say that I'm excited about this move, as I much prefer the paddle/lever mag release, I do understand their reason for making the change. It seems like a smart move to me.

They made the PPX as an entry level hammer fired DAO pistol with a push button mag release. There aren't that many German pistols available with an MSRP of $449, and that push button mag release would help them to win agency contracts as well as boost civilian sales in the US.

They gave the PPQ a push button mag release to appeal to US consumers as well. I don't see a SAO pistol like the PPQ winning any police contracts for the simple fact that it is a SAO pistol, but the push button mag release will more than likely result in it selling better in the US, due to more people being more comfortable with, or more used to, the button mag release.

I still prefer my PPQ to this PPQ M2, though the 5" model interests me.

Ehtereon11B
January 9, 2013, 08:26 AM
My P99 is non-Umarex. It feels much better in my hand than similar P99s made under the Umarex name and the SW99. Judging from the SN on mine, it was one of the first 2nd Gen P99s that were made, still all German. Even the manual that came with it was in German, not that I read them.

I like the paddle on my Walther. I can reach it easily with my middle finger on my shooting hand. I like the longer DA/SA trigger on the P99. Its like having a DAO trigger length with SA trigger weight. And it can be preset to have a short SA trigger past the Anti Stress stage. I have used the PPQ. It felt like a Glock. If I wanted a Glock I would buy a Glock, not a Glock with Walthers name.

DPris
January 9, 2013, 03:18 PM
Walther & Smith & Wesson never merged, they had an import and marketing partnership that ended in 2012.
Walther now has its own channels & no further relationship with S&W.
Denis

balance 740
January 9, 2013, 03:23 PM
My P99 is non-Umarex.

All P99 pistols are "non-Umarex".

Fishbed77
January 9, 2013, 05:23 PM
My P99 is non-Umarex. It feels much better in my hand than similar P99s made under the Umarex name and the SW99.

All P99s and PPQs are made by Walther at the Walther factory in Ulm, Germany.

None have ever been made by Umarex.

DPris
January 9, 2013, 05:39 PM
Would you believe me if I told you Umarex owns Walther?
Denis

balance 740
January 9, 2013, 05:53 PM
Umarex has owned Walther for 20 years.

There is a big difference in quality, between the pistols that come out of the Umarex plant in Arnsberg, and the pistols that come out of the Walther plant in Ulm.

DPris
January 9, 2013, 06:37 PM
:)
Denis

wow6599
January 9, 2013, 08:11 PM
Here's a good read by Pat Sweeney on the PPQ.....and it's production facility.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/new-wave-walther-walther-ppq-review/

rlmenn
January 9, 2013, 08:23 PM
i just bought the p22 and i have to say that mag release is one of the finest i have ever used.

HKGuns
January 9, 2013, 08:46 PM
Call me Balance when the P40 is released AND has a button.

balance 740
January 10, 2013, 01:47 AM
Call me Balance when the P40 is released AND has a button.

Whether or not H&K releases it, they made at least one, and were thinking about releasing it.

If they released it, would it not be German?

They are in the business to win contracts and to make money, and they at least had the thought in their minds that a push button mag release on a striker fired pistol would allow them to win more contracts and make more money.

I'm sure Walther has the same idea, and we get the PPX and PPQ M2.

ExTank
January 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
I'm glad I bit the bullet and picked up that lonely PPQ sitting in my LGS's display; it's been there for a while, and according to the guy, I'm the first customer who even expressed an interest in it. I got me a fair little discount on it as he wanted to move it. Score!

MoreIsLess
January 10, 2013, 06:28 PM
I didn't like the Walther mag release at first. Now that I have gotten use to it on my PPQ, I sort of like it.

ExTank
January 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
I cut my [gun] teeth on the 1911 courtesy of Uncle Sam, and the push-button mag release is what I've got the most trigger-time on by far, but I took to the paddle-release like a duck to water.

Trad Archer
January 10, 2013, 08:07 PM
Well, I'll scratch that one off my wish list.

wow6599
January 10, 2013, 08:23 PM
the push-button mag release is what I've got the most trigger-time on by far, but I took to the paddle-release like a duck to water

+1 ExTank

RBid
January 11, 2013, 12:48 AM
I'm glad I got a PPQ with the paddle. I took to it immediately. I actuate it with my trigger finger, which I can do without adjusting my grip or coming off target. Reloads are incredibly efficient.

PeterTheFish
January 18, 2013, 11:51 AM
Sounds like you'll really like the new PPQ M2 then with its button style mag release.

Me? I prefer the paddle mag release. Really disappointed by this news, but after acquiring a PPS and liking the trigger on that, I think I might try to find a P99 QA for my next gun instead of the PPQ like I had planned.

Anyone know if a trigger job can be done to the QA trigger of the P99 to bring it down from 8 lbs to roughly 5.5 lbs? The travel/feel of the trigger is remarkably similar to Glock's stock trigger pull, except that it's slightly higher in pull weight. Supposedly 8 lbs vs. Glock's ~ 6 lbs. The PPQ trigger is stellar, but if I can get a P99 QA trigger down to around 5-6 lbs, I would be more than happy with that. Besides, I prefer the lack of front cocking serrations on the P99 and grip ergos are still very good. Not quite as contoured, but the overall shape is basically the same.
While I don't own a QA, I've done quite a bit of work on my PPQ and P99s and am very familiar with the trigger system. The P99 AS, P99 QA, and PPQ all use the same Sear Assembly. As such, the only way to increase pull weight on the QA would be to use a stronger Trigger Return Spring or Striker Spring. I would start by ordering the TRS for a P99 AS and installing that (come Feb when Walther USA has parts). If that doesn't do all the trick, they may have a heavier striker spring too.

Finally, bear in mind that although the QA doesn't have a glock style dingus like the PPQ, the design of the P99 trigger allows it to act as a drop safety. Why they switched to the dingus in the PPQ is beyond me - maybe it looks safer - but either way, no worries on having a lighter trigger on the P99 QA without the dingus. Feel free to PM with questions - it's a platform I've become very familiar with.

HKGuns
January 21, 2013, 11:59 AM
Well now, no push button P40 at '13 shot. Perhaps next year eh Balance?

balance 740
January 22, 2013, 12:43 AM
Well now, no push button P40 at '13 shot. Perhaps next year eh Balance?

You wish. :D

How about a few years ago, when a few prototypes were made, and brought into the country, eh?

Were they German?

Were they made by H&K?

Why?

Pilot
January 22, 2013, 07:13 AM
While the PPQ may be discontinued by Walther, it is being replaced with a similar model with a different mag release. I don't understand what the dissapointment is all about. We've had button mag releases for generations and they seem to work fine.

The overall changes from Smith & Wesson distribution and support to Walther USA is a huge positive as it means that Walther is taking the U.S. market seriously. I am looking for an expanded, a better product line from Walther. Maybe we'll get a .22 auto that isn't made from a pellet gun, and some some other interesting variations on the P99, etc.

5-SHOTS
January 22, 2013, 01:21 PM
For the european market the ambi-paddle version is still the only one offered (www.carl-walther.de).

Jeff Cook
March 23, 2013, 04:46 PM
I got mine in Jan of 2013 and I have to say I really like the mag release. If they are discontinuing the PPQ I suppose I will have to get some extra mags pronto!

TriTone
March 24, 2013, 02:16 PM
Walther & Smith & Wesson never merged, they had an import and marketing partnership that ended in 2012.
Walther now has its own channels & no further relationship with S&W.
Denis
Does this affect the PPK and PPK/S? Anybody know?

River Wraith
March 24, 2013, 03:15 PM
The PPK and PPK/S are beautiful little guns, but are at best outdated and at worst obsolete with the PPS on the market.

River Wraith
March 24, 2013, 03:17 PM
Does this mean Earl's Repair no longer has a monopoly on German made Walthers in the US?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther PPQ discontinued" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!