Would not registering even be an option?

PDA

vamo
January 7, 2013, 12:07 AM
So the idea of just not registering if registration is required has been floated around. I am going to play devil's advocate here. Assuming most here did buy their guns through an actual FFL and were BG checked then the government does have a file somewhere documenting every time we made a purchase. Dealers are required to keep records. Even though the government currently only knows whether we purchased a handgun or long rifle, they do know what dealer we purchased it from and the dealer would be able to give them the model and serial number if requested. I know after the fact those guns could have gone through any number of private sales, but its conceivable that not being able to produce the gun would be probable cause for a search so just lying about selling it might not work.

I know currently going through all this trouble for every single firearm owner would be way more than the government could handle; or afford for that matter. However, I am really thinking long term. Eventually with enough digging it seems that the vast majority of legally owned guns could be accounted for. I know already someone is going to say that the above scenario would be an illegal search, but there has been worse declared legal in the past (stop and frisk anyone?).

Like I said just playing a little devil's advocate here and hoping I am seeing things incorrectly. Also thinking long term; hire a few bureaucrats with nothing better to do than comb through firearm records and give them 20yrs to get everyone with unregistered guns charged and I think its definitely a possibility. But please someone explain to me why I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong about this.

Disclaimer: If I am wrong not advocating anyone do anything illegal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would not registering even be an option?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rookorami
January 7, 2013, 12:14 AM
From my understanding, the search would be considered legal at that point if no proof is shown that said gun was sold. Or you would have to sign a sworn affidavit stating the fire arm was sold and if you are caught with that fire arm later on then you could find yourself in serious trouble. What this hinges on is the fact that most gun owners are law abiding citizens with no desire to break the law. Even something that we may disagree with completely. It would take some serious time and the enforcement would be quite a bear of a project. People are screaming about wanting guns taken away but no one in the anti gun crowd is thinking logistics.

berettaprofessor
January 7, 2013, 10:20 AM
Evidently it was an option in Canada and Australia where registration only represented a minority percentage of guns believed to be in circulation.

rdhood
January 7, 2013, 11:09 AM
Registration for 300 million guns and 3 billion magazines?

Eventually with enough digging it seems that the vast majority of legally owned guns could be accounted for.

That is not even a remote possibility. Less than 40% of my firearms were purchased with a 4473. Of those non-FFL FTF purchase/sales, I never did a bill of sale, I never kept the seller/purchaser's information in any way shape or form.

There is no way in hell that the FEDs could guess what I have or what I have sold. They MIGHT be able to look at CC purchases for the past 10 years and guess a magazine here or there, but otherwise there is no way for them to estimate the number of magazines I have. They have no idea whatsoever about the guns I might have built.

I'll give one FTF trade example... I traded a modifed WASR (modified to take regular double wide AK magazines) to a police officer for a 9mm carbine back in 2006 when WASR were about $250. The police officer never knew my name, and I never knew his. We met in a public parking lot and made the trade. I only found out he was LEO while we were talking. We never even looked at each other's IDs. This is a TYPICAL transaction.

If they feds try registration/confiscation, 140 million semi auto guns and a couple billion magazines are going to just disappear into thin air.

MErl
January 7, 2013, 11:10 AM
depends entirely on how it is written and enforced. Which makes this all speculation.

If you are required to keep the registration with the gun at all times or risk arrest, not registering means you cannot use it. This is essentially how NFA stuff works. This is the only way to make any registration effective.

Frank Ettin
January 7, 2013, 11:54 AM
We don't encourage or advocate violation of the law here or discuss whether you would or would not get caught. Nor do we discuss ways to avoid getting caught.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would not registering even be an option?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!