Thanks to all the "safe guys"!

PDA

Teachu2
January 7, 2013, 01:18 AM
I read up on RSCs here, and had pretty well decided that when money allowed, I'd upgrade my storage. The wife recently inheirited some jewelry from her mother (nothing real high dollar, but irreplacable anyway) and my gun collection has grown over the last couple of years. I have five RSCs that I've acquired over the last 25 years, the best/most expensive being a Cannon with 30 min "fire rating". Three with that rating, two without any fire rating. One is in my outbuilding to hold cutting tools - no need to arm the burglars. One is a fast-access for HD. One is full of ammo, another is full of records/passports/etc. The last has the majority of my guns in it.

I wanted something on the better end of RSCs - more steel and more insulation. The ones I have were enough to keep kids out (I also have a good security system, loud dogs, and nosy neighbors) but really came up short in fire insulation. I wanted to buy more time for the cops and/or firemen to get their jobs done - like 30+ minutes instead of 15. As with everything in life, better costs more - and best costs a lot more. Finding the proper balace of cost and performance is a very individual thing, further complicated by marriage.

I decided that I wanted 7ga or better in the body, 3/8 or more in the door, and 1.5 hrs at 1400 or longer. It didn't take much research to decide that this one wouldn't get freighted to my driveway and thrown on an appliance dolly to move into the house by myself. I researched Sturdy Safe (100 miles north of me) and all the safe dealers and locksmiths in my area. I found that most of the large RSCs that met my desires were around $4k, and the next step up was about double. On the advice of several locals I respect, I ended up at the local Liberty dealer. They also sell Fort Knox, Brahma, and Summit. It took a couple of trips and more research, but I bought a Summit Denali 60. It'll be a couple weeks before they deliver - the dealer told me he had one truck work 5 days a week for 28 years, now he has two going 6 days a week and can't keep up....

Thanks to all who gave input on other threads (especially on http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=690660 ) for the insight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thanks to all the "safe guys"!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reloadron
January 7, 2013, 06:04 AM
Congratulations on your new purchase. :)

Yeah, that fire thing haunts me as I have seen guns in a safe following a hot fire and it wasn't pretty. Come spring as home improvements continue I plan a fire sprinkler addition to the gun room. :)

Ron

Teachu2
January 7, 2013, 08:41 PM
Yep, the Denali is 1500 for 2 hours - that's most of it's 1700 lb weight....

cbpagent72
January 8, 2013, 01:23 AM
Congrats on your purchase, I also recently bought a Summit Denali in cherry. I am pretty excited to have it delivered.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Teachu2
January 8, 2013, 03:05 PM
I got lucky on the color - the wife wanted textured grey, so I didn't have to pay extra for gloss.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thanks to all the "safe guys"!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!