Barnes 55gr TTSX

PDA

ssyoumans
January 7, 2013, 11:34 AM
Picked some of these up the other day. Loaded 1 up and fired it into some water to see how it performed, yes, I know water isn't the same as bone and tissue, but I was bored this weekend.

Anyhow, lined up (4) 1 gallon jugs of water and a Tiddy Cat jug filled with water. Was surprised it went through all 4 jugs, approx 26", and bounced off the Tiddy cat jug onto the ground.

Pretty decent penetration and expansion, note 1 petal broke off. Velocity around 3,000 fps from 16" carbine. These are good for 1:9" twist rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barnes 55gr TTSX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
moonzapa
January 9, 2013, 12:00 AM
How far away did you fire these bullets from the jugs? I've tried using the Barnes TTSX bullets in my 30-06 and 280 and have had rather poor results in accuracy.

ssyoumans
January 9, 2013, 02:18 PM
This was just from 20 - 25 yards off handed. I haven't tried these for accuracy, but the 62gr TSX was around 1.5" at 100 yards. No worse than most of my other reloads from the S&W AR15.

I'm sure you read you really have to get the fouling out from traditional bullets before trying the Barnes bullets or accuracy suffers. I clean mine with Sweet 7.62 before accuracy testing with Barnes bullets and allow for 5 fouling shots.

The only other caliber I have tried Barnes in is 243, with the 85gr TSX, but again didn't spend time working up an accuracy load with it as I decided to use SST's this year for hunting (took a 7 pt buck with one).

mtrmn
January 9, 2013, 02:47 PM
I used the non-tipped flat base 55 gr for my water test, with results similar to yours--4 jugs and a perfect 4-petal mushroom.

Mine grouped about 1" in a 1/9 16" bbl carbine

blarby
January 9, 2013, 04:21 PM
I'd like to see one more........

Can you do one of these setups @ 100 yards, if you get bored ?

Nice work, BTW..

I plan on trying the new nosler defense sometime later in 2013 the same way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barnes 55gr TTSX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!