Recommend a .223 BOLT Action?

PDA

CommanderCrusty
January 7, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'm looking for a fun gun in .223. Just something to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon at the range. Thinking of a Savage or Remington package with a factory supplied scope and rings, but I know very little about long guns.

What do you recommend for a bolt action .223?

PS
It's either that of a .308 Ruger Scout rifle, and I already HAVE plenty of .223 ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend a .223 BOLT Action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 7, 2013, 03:03 PM
CZ-527!!

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/centerfire-micro/

rc

Auto426
January 7, 2013, 04:22 PM
I've personally been eyeballing Ruger's M77 African in .223. It's meant to be a trainer for the big bruisers you take on safari, but I would use it just for fun. It's one of what must be only a handful of .223 bolt actions with iron sights, and I for one would probably never out a scope on it. I would love to train with one to become proficient in shooting a bolt gun with iron sights.

Captcurt
January 7, 2013, 04:25 PM
How much do you want to spend? I have seen $300 rifles that shot better than $2000 guns.

I6turbo
January 7, 2013, 04:37 PM
CZ-527!!

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/centerfire-micro/

rc
I agree. I love my 527 in .223.
Honestly, if the OP isn't experienced with long guns and isn't already a rifle freak he might not appreciate the 527 as much as those of us who have several bolt action guns and really love the 527, but still a great recommendation for a first timer, IMO.

Naybor
January 7, 2013, 04:43 PM
What RC said:

Look here too: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/

Man, I'd like one too! Check out the grain in that stock!

CommanderCrusty
January 7, 2013, 04:52 PM
Two wonderful suggestions.

https://czusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/dc/20/dc2037f0d6e4667d8567cdd2de1d4628.png

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAfrican/images/47119.jpg

The CZ carbine with detachable box magazine, in particular, looks very nice to my eye. However, I would certainly consider less expensive alternatives.

3twelves
January 7, 2013, 04:54 PM
Mossberg MVP

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/rifles/mvp1b1.jpg

Accepts AR mags.

brnmw
January 7, 2013, 04:59 PM
Cz 527.

targetshooter22
January 7, 2013, 05:49 PM
Just ordered a 527 varmint, but it will take a few weeks at least for me write a review. :)

I6turbo
January 7, 2013, 05:57 PM
One word of caution on buying CZs: For many people they have a tendency to multiply after you get the first one. I've owned a number of guns in my life but only bought my first CZ less than a year ago. I'm up to 4 now. :uhoh:

anchorman
January 7, 2013, 05:59 PM
cz 527.

I've not held nor shot every conceivable rifle out there, but picking one of these up in the store, I was really impressed. light weight, but well balanced. I can hold it perfectly steady standing, and am sure that I would have some work to do to be as accurate as the rifle. if I had $700 to blow on a new rifle I would get one of these in a heartbeat. I have heard of some having a slightly rough action at first, and noticed one like that myself (others felt nice), but have read that it is easy to clean up any rough edges if there are any. Everything else I read said a little grease and cycling it a few hundred times would clean it up, if it was bothering you.

anchorman
January 7, 2013, 06:01 PM
I hate that I didn't buy two of these, one in .223, one in 7.62x39 when I first noticed them and they were a few benjamins cheaper.

targetshooter22
January 7, 2013, 06:04 PM
Yes, they do seem to multiply. I'm ordering my 5th, and all are a joy to shoot.

Jackal
January 7, 2013, 06:37 PM
Marlin X7, this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_323/products_id/78916/Marlin+X7+223+4%2B1+22+SYN+DLR

Wont find a bad review anywhere and its as accurate as a $700 rifle.

husker
January 7, 2013, 06:59 PM
This CZ is a Beautiful rifle

https://czusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/6c/1c/6c1c08d630a72797b80a2d4bf950f965.png

Captcurt
January 7, 2013, 07:13 PM
Marlin X7, this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_323/products_id/78916/Marlin+X7+223+4%2B1+22+SYN+DLR

I got one of these in today. Not bad for a $300 gun. I am waiting for the scope to get here.

jim243
January 7, 2013, 07:13 PM
Hard to choose they all look nice, but I will still stick with my Savages.

Jim

TwoEyedJack
January 7, 2013, 07:14 PM
I would recommend a Tikka T3. Smooth, accurate, light weight, readily available.

I got some inexpensive reloads at a local pawn shop, $17 for a box of 50 three weeks ago. Those days are over ;( Here is how they group out of my Tikka.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3236/tikkatarget.jpg

I6turbo
January 7, 2013, 07:24 PM
Yes, they do seem to multiply. I'm ordering my 5th, and all are a joy to shoot.
Just hope that you don't get the CZ bug as badly as this guy. Starting at Post #26 and running for the next few pages: :D
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390312&page=2

stubbicatt
January 7, 2013, 08:06 PM
Just hope that you don't get the CZ bug as badly as this guy. Starting at Post #26 and running for the next few pages: :D
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390312&page=2
Holy Moses that guy has at least one of everything.

targetshooter22
January 8, 2013, 12:15 AM
Wow, and I do mean wow. Never saw a collection like that outside of a museum. Given the number of American/Varmint models with no scope, looks like many have never been shot outside the factory either. Wow. :what:

1911 guy
January 8, 2013, 03:36 AM
If you can swing the CZ, I'd say do it. I don't have one, but have shot one. Well built, very nice looking and accurate with the handloads the owner had.

If you want to go down in budget and way down in looks, buy a Stevens. Accuracy wise, they'll hang with the big dogs. But they are as ugly as that CZ is pretty. That one, I own. And it's no better looking in person.

bannockburn
January 8, 2013, 11:24 AM
The CZ 527 is the way to go.

beatledog7
January 8, 2013, 11:42 AM
Savage 25. Its action was designed specifically for .22 caliber cartridges, and it shoots!

nosmr2
January 8, 2013, 11:44 AM
I really like my CZ 527 Varmint.

I6turbo
January 8, 2013, 12:43 PM
I hate that I didn't buy two of these, one in .223, one in 7.62x39 when I first noticed them and they were a few benjamins cheaper.
I'm limited in how much I can spend on guns, but I keep thinking that even at today's pricing for the Carbine (I assume you're referencing the Carbine when you include the 7.62x39 round), I'm going to regret in the future not having picked up at least one for the $580 (plus shipping and transfer) that they are currently available for. Too many CZs and not enough discretionary funds. :(

Shadow 7D
January 8, 2013, 12:48 PM
mini mausers are great, and Mossberg has the new one that takes AR mags.

alman
January 8, 2013, 12:50 PM
+1 on the Mossberg MVP . Just shot one this past weekend . Great value .

SGW42
January 8, 2013, 01:42 PM
I've got a Stevens 200 in .223. I went and got a new stock, trigger, scope, etc, to kind of customize it to my taste. Very easy to do with the aftermarket available, I really enjoy it.

hawk45
January 8, 2013, 08:33 PM
There are lots of nice entry guns for plinking. You can get a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .223 for about $550. Or a Savage Stevens for about $320. The Stevens comes with a 22" light profile barrel and crappy stock but they shoot very well. Nice thing about the Stevens is you can upgrade over time and do all the work at home if you are even the slightest bit handy. Match grade barrel, new stock, Timmney trigger and you have an excellent rig as money allows. But there are lots of good .223 bolts out there.

Hotshot10
January 8, 2013, 09:30 PM
Just hope that you don't get the CZ bug as badly as this guy. Starting at Post #26 and running for the next few pages:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=390312&page=2

:what: That's an awe-inducing collection. Wow!

American Finn
January 8, 2013, 09:38 PM
Can't go wrong with a Savage Axis combo. Picked mine up at Cabela's for around $400 with a Bushnell scope.

On a great day, prairie dogs are only safe at distances of 450+ yards. :-)

I use Black Hills 52gr HPBT Match in mine. I get 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

I6turbo
January 8, 2013, 09:50 PM
:what: That's an awe-inducing collection. Wow!
Yes, amazing, isn't it?

mr.t7024
January 8, 2013, 10:01 PM
I would buy the Savage!:) Cliff

mjw930
January 8, 2013, 10:05 PM
Not sure if ther are still available but the last CDNN flyer had these Howa 1500 Varminters with a 3-9x40 scope for under $400. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/10/cdnn-fall-2012-catalog-offers-many-good-deals/

It seems they have taken their flyers off the site so you would have to call then to see if ther are still available.

loose noose
January 8, 2013, 10:20 PM
You might note that Howa, was built by Weatherby. some years ago, as I got one. That rifle will shoot 3 shots in a one hole group at 100 yards, with my 52 grn. hp's, from a bench rest. I've got a 3X16 Burris scope on it, that I got for under $200.00. It's been a while since I bought the rifle, but I believe the rifle was under $200.00:cool:

lefteyedom
January 8, 2013, 11:06 PM
get a Savage/Stevens and have fun

mjw930
January 9, 2013, 08:40 AM
You might note that Howa, was built by Weatherby. some years ago, as I got one.

Actually, you have that backwards, Weatherby Vanguard actions are built by Howa, have been ever since the model was introduced. It's said the Weatherby specific actions are built to Weatherby specs but others content they are basically the same.

Regardless, they are fine shooters with a reasonable aftermarket and priced very well against their competition. Good guns by anyone's measure.

45crittergitter
January 25, 2013, 06:00 PM
Tikka T3.

Cee Zee
January 25, 2013, 11:10 PM
The truth is there are a lot of nice rifles around. I have 2 Savage centerfire rifles. One is a 30.06 and one is a .223. The .223 is a varmint gun which means a heavy barrel and action both of which are too heavy to carry around all day. Varminting is about setting up in one spot and picking off the varmints until you run out. Plinking is about carrying your gun around shooting whatever looks like it would be fun to shoot. I like to do both. I mostly use my .223 for plinking though. I just do it from 500 yards away.

So decide what kind of rifle you want and find out which ones suit your intended use. Then find one that fits you well. And buy a good brand if you can. Savage, Tikka, Howa, Sako, Weatherby, older Remingtons, Mossberg, Stevens, etc. will all be fun to shoot. But right now you may want to find the ammo first so you'll actually have some. It's pretty dry on the ammo shelves and .223 is one of the first calibers to go.

chad1043
January 26, 2013, 08:44 AM
Did he ever say how much he wants to spend?

gunlover_06
January 26, 2013, 05:33 PM
Mossberg MVP

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/rifles/mvp1b1.jpg

Accepts AR mags.
I second this suggestion love mine and it shoots great

wnycollector
January 26, 2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Marlin X7, this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...2B1+22+SYN+DLR

I got one of these in today. Not bad for a $300 gun. I am waiting for the scope to get here.

+1 on that. I bought an X7VH in 223 for my oldest son. For a $300 rifle it's a solid shooter with a great trigger.

788Ham
January 26, 2013, 11:38 PM
Get a Remington 788 like I did, $250 at a GS, very accurate rifle out to 400 yards. 52 and 53 gr. bullets do the best.

B!ngo
January 27, 2013, 12:47 AM
I feel that the Tikka T3's represent a great price/performance value. Though that MVP in the photo (using AR magazines) is pretty compelling. But the action and accuracy of the T3's are just amazing.
I'd also suggest that the OP considers buying a lightly used gun. There are many out there that have had 100-250 rounds fired, and with the money saved, there's more cash reserved for optics and ammo.
Guns are one of the few consumer products that I have little qualm buying used. They are relatively easy to spot problems and/or abuse, simple enough to correct most problems if not found up front and enable a significant percent of savings versus buying new. Most all of my handguns were purchased used. Long guns are all new but that's because I wanted them configured for left-handed use and there is very little left-handed used inventory to choose from out there.
B

Cee Zee
January 27, 2013, 02:12 AM
I'd also suggest that the OP considers buying a lightly used gun. There are many out there that have had 100-250 rounds fired, and with the money saved, there's more cash reserved for optics and ammo.

I have to agree with that thinking. Learn to look for the signs of a firearm that has been used very little and you'll find a lot of them. It's easy to clean a gun for example. But some places are almost impossible to clean well. If those places are still clean then the gun has barely been used. I've bought rifles that I know weren't fired more than 10 times. I bought a handgun with the original box of ammo the initial owner bought with the gun. There were 18 rounds taken from that box and 6 were still in the revolver. It was very obvious no more rounds had been fired through that handgun too. It was clean as a whistle even inside the trigger and there was very little sign of heat discoloration in the chamber. I saved about $300 on the price of that gun vs. buying a new one. I saved almost $400 on the rifle that had clearly less than 10 rounds through it.

VVelox
January 27, 2013, 03:29 AM
In regards to the Mossberg MVP, it may be worth while waiting till the new Patrol version comes out to see how it compares to the current versions.

280shooter
January 28, 2013, 12:39 AM
I like my tikka 3 lite, stainless, left hand ,1 in 8 twist, I would buy it again in a heart beat, over and over,

scchokedaddy
January 28, 2013, 06:08 AM
Thompson Venture

greyling22
January 28, 2013, 11:15 AM
280shooter, you can't buy it again and again. They're all oos. I've been looking for days......

cz527 is a nice gun, but nobody has mentioned that they're kind of tricky to scope, not something a new rifle shooter should be forced to deal with.

But back to the op's original goal of wanting a complete scoped rifle from the get go: in 223 right now, I'd just go with whatever you can find. Far as I can tell all the bullets and all the guns have been snapped up. Marlin xl7, ruger american and savage axis, all make a $300ish plastic stocked rifle that will shoot with guns costing lots and lots more. More money generally gets you things like nicer stocks, better triggers, pretty finishes, etc.

Same with scopes, the cheap one that comes on the gun will be just fine for .223 shooting paper at the range. Nicer scopes are more durable, stand up to the recoil of large calibers better, are a little clearer, adjust more accurately and smoothly, and can be seen through much more clearly when it starts to get dark (good for hunting, not so important on a sunny afternoon)

Cee Zee
January 29, 2013, 03:05 AM
More money generally gets you things like nicer stocks, better triggers, pretty finishes, etc.

Same with scopes, the cheap one that comes on the gun will be just fine for .223 shooting paper at the range. Nicer scopes are more durable, stand up to the recoil of large calibers better, are a little clearer, adjust more accurately and smoothly, and can be seen through much more clearly when it starts to get dark (good for hunting, not so important on a sunny afternoon)

It depends on what kind of rifle you're buying as to whether you get more for your money or not. Trust me you certainly get a lot more rifle if you're buying a varmint rifle. That may not be what you happen to want but for example my 12 LRPV comes with a very heavy barrel, a far better action and trigger and a heavy duty bolt. All of those things make a big difference if you're trying to shoot small groups at targets a long way off. As well as the average sporter shoots these days (and they shoot very well) they can't compare to a heavy barrel and action designed for long range accuracy. I suppose it's possible. It just isn't likely.

And then there are the scopes. You certainly get far more for your money with a really good scope. It's the difference between being able to see individual bullet holes at 100 yards and not seeing them. If you see them you can make adjustments to your scope, learn how to pull a trigger better, and you can make out what you're shooting at when you need to. I've actually seen some cheap scopes that were good at gathering light. But I haven't seen any cheap scopes that can help me identify exactly where my bullets are hitting on a paper target at 100 yards. Maybe someone with better eyesight than me could. But for that person the same problem will occur at some point whether it's 200 yards or 500 yards. I can make out things that really stand out from the background from 500 yards easily with a cheap scope. Something like a piece of a clay pigeon or a chalk target or just a pop can. But the same scope that will do that won't show me individual bullet holes at 100 yards. To me there's a big difference right there. I can shoot a brightly colored piece of a clay pigeon at 500 yards pretty easily as long as the orange side is pointed my way. But even at just 100 yards I have a hard time picking out a 1" target on a sheet of paper. That makes for a big difference IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend a .223 BOLT Action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!