Anyone shot any of the new blowback air pistols?

PDA

777funk
January 7, 2013, 05:23 PM
I know this is thehighroad and we shoot real powder here, but curious if anyone has tried these blowback air pistols:
http://www.airgundepot.com/tanfoglio-witness-35803.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efS8GgjJ6EQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=154s

I had a Walther CP99 for a little bit and I thought it felt similar to a real semi auto and great practice for the backyard and without needing hearing protection. Cheap shooting and good practice without needing a burm or having to travel to a range. I like that 1911 style. I'd seriously doubt it kicks like a 45 though but I wonder. I think they waste some Co2 to blow the metal slide back but at the same time eating up more Co2 is still a LOT cheaper than eating up .45ACP rounds.

Curious if anyone has experience with these.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shot any of the new blowback air pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
January 7, 2013, 05:34 PM
Not one of those but I pickedup a Walther PPK BB gun when I found it on sale just because I like the style and up here I'm not allowed to own one of the real ones.

Turned out to be pretty much a waste of money. Accuracy is about on par with the video showing a rather generous size spread even at close range. The fault is the use of BB's and smooth bore barrels instead of actual pellets traveling down a rifled bore. Without the rifling and lead/soft metal pellets that engage the rifling the accuracy is going to be poor at best.

So if I decide to go with an air pistol for indoor use I'll happily give up the replica look and blow back slide operation in favour of a gun which shoots accurately... even if it does look like it came from a toy shop or cheap Sci-Fi movie.

777funk
January 7, 2013, 05:39 PM
Not one of those but I pickedup a Walther PPK BB gun when I found it on sale just because I like the style and up here I'm not allowed to own one of the real ones.

Turned out to be pretty much a waste of money. Accuracy is about on par with the video showing a rather generous size spread even at close range. The fault is the use of BB's and smooth bore barrels instead of actual pellets traveling down a rifled bore. Without the rifling and lead/soft metal pellets that engage the rifling the accuracy is going to be poor at best.

So if I decide to go with an air pistol for indoor use I'll happily give up the replica look and blow back slide operation in favour of a gun which shoots accurately... even if it does look like it came from a toy shop or cheap Sci-Fi movie.
I like the Crosman 357 (pellet) for accuracy. It's a nice gun and not expensive. I can usually hit a paint can at 50 yards with it if the wind isn't blowing. But no recoil with this particular gun since obviously blowback isn't an option with a revolver. I'd wonder how the Co2 powered slide blowback translates into handling real recoil.

So no PPK's in BC?

Jenrick
January 7, 2013, 05:56 PM
If you drop the coin to get a good quality airsoft, they shoot quiet accurately and feel about right in the hand. Recoil and noise is of course way off, but other then that they are a pretty good training tool. Accuracy on my G19 airsoft is under and inch at 10yds if I use good quality heavy pellets.

-Jenrick

BCRider
January 7, 2013, 05:59 PM
The short barrel of the PPK puts them in our "Prohibited" classification. It means that only those that were grandfathered with that particular classification when the new laws came into effect back in 1998 can own, buy and sell, the shorter barrel guns such as the PPK.

And I only got into the shooting sports not quite 4 years ago. So no PPK for me... :(

Jennrick, at 1 inch at 10 yards that's a HUGE amount better than my Walther can manage. When I did use it the groups were about 2 inches at 10 FEET. If I could get my Walther to manage 1@10 I'd be using it a lot more often.

BHP FAN
January 7, 2013, 07:53 PM
non blow back guns shoot a lot harder.

Jenrick
January 7, 2013, 08:36 PM
BCRider: A good airsoft pistol has a couple of technologies that allow them to be pretty accurate. Also using good high quality and HEAVY pellets help too. Our old BB guns they are not.

-Jenrick

MedWheeler
January 8, 2013, 06:40 AM
I have one of the first Daisy "SoftAir" pistols. There were two made, only in 1987 and 1988, before they were discontinued. Mine is the Model 59, which replicates the Smith and Wesson of the same moniker. I think the other one was the M92, which, if I'm right, would have replicated the Beretta.
It's a spring-piston gun that shoots the same .25 caliber "BBs" modern AirSoft guns do, but they are first loaded into fake plastic "brass" cases, five of which came with the gun. The cases, which are hollow and open at both ends (to allow the air to pass through to expel the BB) are then loaded into a regular spring-feeding magazine.

The slide is pushed forward against the spring (this is where it differs from a real gun) and pulling the trigger both fires the gun and releases the slide, which snaps back and stays open. The BB flies out the barrel, and the "brass" case is ejected out the port. The shooter must force the slide back shut for each shot.

Very real-looking gun, made and sold before the "orange-tip" regulation went into effect. I bought it in 1987, I think. For two decades beginning after that (got into real handguns later that year), I had misplaced the "brass", but found it again maybe a year or so ago. Just haven't gotten around to trying it out. The gun's slide has been closed all these years, which compresses the spring, but it still snaps back heartily when the trigger is pulled, a testament to compressed-spring resilience.

Bikewer
January 8, 2013, 01:54 PM
I recently went through an "active shooter" training course where we used airsoft Glocks and ARs.
Both were high-end items with the "hop up" accuracy kits... The Glock felt pretty much like a Glock and I felt it would be a good training item, but these particular models were rather pricey...

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shot any of the new blowback air pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!