Suggestions on a fixed blade EDC "Landowner" Knife

PDA

bpl
January 7, 2013, 07:03 PM
I'm looking into buying a fixed blade knife to use around my property which is a mix of woods and fields. Hiking in the woods and basic stuff, opening seed/fertilizer, cutting small twigs, branches, etc., twine, zip-ties... defense against rabid animals. :D

I was thinking something 4-6" or so. Leather sheath preferable because I like it better aesthetically and its less shocking to visitors/neighbors than kydex or other synthetics. Lack of leather is not a dealbreaker though. I was considering a bushcraft type knife for this purchase, but I'm open to ideas. I'm not 100% sure how much I want to spend, so maybe some suggestions for under $100 and some others for under $200.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions on a fixed blade EDC "Landowner" Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yo Mama
January 7, 2013, 07:22 PM
Firsties!

I'd recommend plain old Kabar, 1211
Becker BK16, or bigger you can look at BK2
Ontario RD4

These have all been good to me so far.

If you're looking for chopping branches ect... I'd go more to the 6-8 inch blade, as your hand will be farther away from impact. Kabar Heavy Bowie is also a favorite of mine.

Kingcreek
January 7, 2013, 07:41 PM
One of the nicer mora type Scandinavia knives.
I use a Roselli carpenters knife in the ways you described.

Piraticalbob
January 7, 2013, 08:33 PM
Blind Horse has a nice selection (http://www.blindhorseknives.com/knives4sale.htm) of handmades in the $100 range.

hso
January 7, 2013, 08:40 PM
Get the THR commemorative made by Kim Breed. A knife optimized for EDC.

Kingcreek
January 8, 2013, 10:36 AM
4-6" is big for an EDC. Under 4" is plenty and 3 is perfect for a farm and ranche blade.
A 3" fixed blade in a leather sheath with jeans and boots doesn't get a second glance at the bank, city hall, or post office in my town. Nobody gets nervous.

mdauben
January 8, 2013, 12:59 PM
$20-30 - Mora "Clipper"
$80-100 - ESEE 4
$160-200 - Bark River Bravo-1

bpl
January 8, 2013, 09:50 PM
This would be for use mostly for around my property, not around town. I use a folder for around town generally. I'd probably wear it to tractor supply, but not to the town hall. So, not a true EDC knife then I guess.

You're probably right about 6" being too long, 4" is probably better but I kinda liked the Knives of Alaska Bush Camp knife, so I went out to 6". I'm definitely gonna need a "camp" knife too I guess...

I do already have a BK2, I'm looking for something a bit more svelt...which in reality is most everything! :D

So, may I revise my criteria to 3-5" then?

Thanks!

ApacheCoTodd
January 8, 2013, 10:46 PM
Easy - just kidding, I like Moras and Mora derivatives but I like these better.
How about these little Old Timers? I started carrying the 152s trapping and hunting as a kid and only turned on to the 158s in the past decade or so in trying to replace one of my sadder 152s.

To the point of the OP... I started carrying the 158 in servicing our commercial properties quite by accident as I happened to have a recently received one in my car and needed a knife for a couple somethins.

By the time I got into the car to leave and completely without looking for things to do with it, I had used it to; handily cut many lengths of twine to bind up scrap carpet, stripped some wires, trimmed down (cleanly) a lot of buds and suckers on a couple trees and scored some reflective adhesive for windows.

I started carrying one in my tool bag from then on as a utility knife/line cutter/stripper.

Or just go to a gun show and hunt up some funky old Western, Marble's or the like for style points.

jmr40
January 8, 2013, 11:31 PM
ESSE 3,4, or possibly 5. I think the 5 is too big. I have both 3 and 4. I can't decide and use both about equally.

http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-4.htm

lobo9er
January 9, 2013, 12:12 AM
Swamp Rat Knives or Scrap Yard knives.

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/images/rodent3.jpg

lots of nice options in your price range. I just bought a BK2 on ebay an hour ago 61.49 including shipping.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/images/wtk-bk2.jpg

RatDrall
January 9, 2013, 11:23 AM
Bark River Bravo 1 is my "do it all" knife. I've used it as my primary hiking and camping and often EDC knife and it has done everything from carving small traps and opening food packaging to processing wet wood to get a fire going in a drizzle. They're pretty too:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/RatDrall/Knives/023-2.jpg

...And look nice in the sheaths I made for them:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/RatDrall/Knives/021-1.jpg

Mp7
January 9, 2013, 11:31 AM
A "Puukko" or "Leuko"

http://www.ragweedforge.com/StromengCatalog.html

lobo9er
January 9, 2013, 05:28 PM
Lots of nice Bark River knives. Little more pricey. I have wanted one for awhile now. After watching "deer hunters knives" on youtube, he has sold me on them. Just haven't dropped the coin on one yet. I really should have saved my money and bought one instead of the BK2. But I have looked at the BK2 online for over year now and I think its going to be worth the 62 bucks all day long.

bpl
January 9, 2013, 09:14 PM
Does bark river offer a nice leather sheath? What about ESEE?

What about an aftermarket leather sheath?

lobo9er
January 9, 2013, 09:21 PM
Most of the Bark rivers come with a leather sheath. The best deal going right now is a guy on ebay has a few BR North stars for 114 bucks plus ship. thats a steal in my opinion. Check out DLT trading or knives ship for free both have a nice selection of Bark River.

lobo9er
January 9, 2013, 09:28 PM
http://www.armynavysales.com/assets/item/large/BK14_h_lg.png

The eskabar is a nice size knife I have one and carry it a lot.

Rexster
January 9, 2013, 10:29 PM
http://www.armynavysales.com/assets/item/large/BK14_h_lg.png

The eskabar is a nice size knife I have one and carry it a lot.
Your handle fell off! ;)

Personally, I am without a good single-edged blade in this category, so am here to learn what others are thinking.

lobo9er
January 9, 2013, 10:46 PM
you mean my scales fell off! :)

Sheepdog1968
January 9, 2013, 11:33 PM
I am partial to the kbar knife. They have the original size as well as a smaller version.

Sheepdog1968
January 9, 2013, 11:34 PM
There is always the THR anniversary Kim Breed knife advertised here.

Cal-gun Fan
January 9, 2013, 11:56 PM
Go for the Knives of Alaska one you liked! Those are some GREAT knives.

lobo9er
January 10, 2013, 07:11 PM
yeah I have a "bear cub" KOA knife D2 nice little caper.

22-rimfire
January 10, 2013, 07:38 PM
Knives of Alaska are generally good knives.

I have a Blackjack 125 fixed blade that I really like for the sort of stuff you would use a fixed blade for. They run around $150 depending on handles.

cvc1
January 11, 2013, 01:00 AM
For the <$100, check out the AG Russell Deer Hunter or Bird and Trout, but keep in mind both come with plastic sheaths.

In the $100 to $200 range, google "JK Knives". John is a custom knifemaker and has many knives in that price range. You can choose handle material, grind (V, convex, or scandi), and he will modify blade or handle length to fit your needs. He will even work from your design. His wait times are very reasonable, and he is great to do business with.

red rick
January 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
I just got this and I think it is a good size EDC knife. Buck 102 Woodsman , 4" blade , $58.90 off ebay shipped. I received it in 2 days. You can get it with the black handle for about $12 less.

MikeJackmin
January 13, 2013, 09:51 PM
When I see a question like this, my first thought is that it's all about blade thickness, especially if a smaller knife is preferred.

Thick-bladed, bushcraft/Scandi knives are ideal for cutting wood, and they can handle some pretty tough utility jobs for their size; the downside is, they do not fair well as slicers. Cutting an apple into bite-sized pieces is always going to be a messy proposition.

Thinner knives make slicing a breeze but thin knives are not as tough, especially if they are small.

I'd suggest a Scandi, based on what you seem to have in mind for it. The smaller ones can be had with pocket sheaths that keep them out of sight, if that matters to you.

joeschmoe
January 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
For working my land I like to carry a Cold Steel Hunter, thick 4" carbon steel blade with kydex sheath, folding saw, ax, and good garden clippers. That does just about everything short of chainsaw or shovel needs. (which I go get when needed).

I learned long ago not to try to use a knife as an ax, an axe as shovel, a knife as a pry bar or a shovel as a saw.
Use the right tool for the job. Safer for you, the tool and the work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions on a fixed blade EDC "Landowner" Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!