Best Spotting Scope without breaking the bank

PDA

carbine85
January 8, 2013, 05:10 PM
I'm shopping for a good spotting scope. My Barska crap isn't cutting it. What scope do you guys use? I'm looking for something under $250.00. Usually 300 yards or less is what I'm shooting. I have access to 500 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Spotting Scope without breaking the bank" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gamestalker
January 8, 2013, 05:55 PM
A Leupold 15x45x60 can be had for under $300. and they aren't bad. Plus you can up grade the eye piece later down the road if you decide you want a bit mroe clarity. They are 100% water proof, so you can litterally wash them off under running water without concern, nitrogen filled and "O" ring sealed, and covered by Leupold's legendary warrenty.
I have one and it does real well for spotting target groups at 300 yds.. I owned a cheap Bushnell some years ago and it was crapola.

GS

mjw930
January 9, 2013, 09:46 AM
In a word, Celestron. The C90 Mak is probably the best sub $300 scope out there. You can pick it up on Amazon for $149!

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52268-C90-Mak-Spotting/dp/B0038QYRDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357739064&sr=8-2&keywords=C90+MAC

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VsyCXFxKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use the C70 up to 200 yards and it's great and only set me back $80!

The Maksutov-Cassegrain design lets far more light in than a typical refracting scope and the amount of light at long range is critical to being able to actually see detail. Celestron, although mostly being Chinese built, have a long reputation for quality optics.

SwampWolf
January 10, 2013, 04:15 PM
I agree with gamestalker. I paid $336.45 for a Leupold "Sequoia" 20-60x80mm spotting scope with the angled eyepiece from Sinclair Intl. last year. Yes, there are better scopes out there, optically speaking-but not at this price imo. As gamestalker noted, completely waterproof and guaranteed for life; this Leupold is hard to beat for the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Spotting Scope without breaking the bank" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!