My Lyman Ideal powder drop and stick powder

PDA

Grassman
January 8, 2013, 09:23 PM
Is it pretty common for my Lyman powder drop to catch when loading stick powders? I've been loading 4064 and 4895 and it really bugs me, seems like when it really hangs up and finally breaks over I get a 2-4 grains heavier charge, I've weighed it. Is there anything to do about this, or is this just the nature of this powder drop and these powders?

If you enjoyed reading about "My Lyman Ideal powder drop and stick powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 9, 2013, 12:54 AM
Which slider adjustments are you using?

If you use the little and middle brass ones?
More surface area = more stick powder shearing.

For bif rifle charges:
Get as close as you can with the big steel one, then fine tune with the middle brass one = Less surface area to shear stick powder grains.

It's in the owners manual I think.

rc

Grassman
January 9, 2013, 10:51 AM
Which slider adjustments are you using?

If you use the little and middle brass ones?
More surface area = more stick powder shearing.

For bif rifle charges:
Get as close as you can with the big steel one, then fine tune with the middle brass one = Less surface area to shear stick powder grains.

It's in the owners manual I think.

rc
I was just using the larger adjustment, To dump 25.3 grains. I didn't even touch the smaller one. Is this bad? When it broke over smooth the measurement was dead on, but when I got a snag it was always off.

rcmodel
January 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
I was just using the larger adjustment, I didn't even touch the smaller one.

As I said there are three adjustment slides.

Are you using the big steel one to get close and the middle brass one to dial it in??

rc

Grassman
January 9, 2013, 12:07 PM
I thought there were only two adjustments.

rcmodel
January 9, 2013, 12:33 PM
Instruction sheet.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/pdf/LyC_SM_PM_55Cl.pdf

rc

Grassman
January 9, 2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks RC!

Grassman
January 10, 2013, 09:03 PM
I bought a pound of X-terminator today. Meters nearly perfect every throw.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Lyman Ideal powder drop and stick powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!