The Great P Mag Shortage Of 2013

PDA

thump_rrr
January 8, 2013, 11:09 PM
Are P Mags really that awesome that there are none to be found anywhere in the northern hemisphere?

I understand that in the USA there are many people screaming for a hicap mag ban but I can't even find any more P Mags up here in Canada.

Don't get me wrong I have a dozen of them but I never found them to be the next best thing to sliced bread.

Am I missing something?

If you enjoyed reading about "The Great P Mag Shortage Of 2013" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rduckwor
January 8, 2013, 11:10 PM
Yep. We bought them all.

RMD

January 8, 2013, 11:11 PM
Not just Pmags, but all other brands, also. Nothing special about Pmags.

USAF_Vet
January 8, 2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah, not just the P-mags. They were just the affordable flavor of the month, and looked cooler than the old GI metal body mags. Those have all been bought up as well. saw a pair at a LGS for $40 each.

thump_rrr
January 8, 2013, 11:16 PM
Yeah, not just the P-mags. They were just the affordable flavor of the month, and looked cooler than the old GI metal body mags. Those have all been bought up as well. saw a pair at a LGS for $40 each.
They're selling on the boards up here for $50.00 a piece and the funny thing is that up here they're all pinned to 5 rounds.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Thump_rrr/FDE-2_zps27600479.jpg

Captains1911
January 8, 2013, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't call pmags the "flavor of the month", they have been considered one of if not the best AR mag for quite a few years now.

Old Dog
January 9, 2013, 12:33 AM
I'm seeing used P-mags going for $75 a pop up here ... Apparently, there are people snatching 'em up at this ridiculous pricepoint (in fear of a potential high-capacity magazine ban coming). Guys selling old GI mags for $30 a piece, too ...

Funny, I picked up some more windowed P-Mags immediately after the election (the voices told me to). Actually, I was trying to replace all my old metal mags as (noted in the two previous posts) P-Mags ARE the gold standard for AR mags.

3twelves
January 9, 2013, 01:25 AM
Nothing special about Pmags.
lol ok

USAF_Vet
January 9, 2013, 01:39 AM
I was never issued a P mag either in training or in a combat zone. They might be the gold standard for civilian use, but they metal bodied mags have been in use for 40+ years. There has to be a reason for that.

But I'm not going to get into a Pmag vs. GI mag debate, as it isn't pertinent to the topic at hand.

The point is, panic buying has stripped the market of reasonably priced AR mags of all flavors. Logical or not, that is the reality.

tarosean
January 9, 2013, 01:55 AM
No less than 1725 auctions on Gunbroker for PMags... While some are fetching ridiculous prices... Ive seen LGS's gouge far more.

Justin
January 9, 2013, 01:58 AM
Magpul is to gun accessories what Apple is to computers. They make solid products that demand a premium, and have a dedicated following of fanboys who think they can do no wrong.

Pmags are great, but so are USGI magazines as well.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

nwilliams
January 9, 2013, 02:04 AM
PMags are apparently the new plastic gold right now. I'm glad I stocked up before all the craziness began.

The truth is all high-cap mags are in very high demand right now, not just rifle but pistol mags as well, basically any mag that hold more then 10 rounds. The reason is obvious, people are afraid new legislation will pass that will put a ban on high capacity mags all together.

IMO people should be worried about this, I don't really believe there will be a new AWB but I see a ban on high-cap mags as being a very strong possibility.

January 9, 2013, 02:13 AM
lol ok
Yep, have fun lol.

Queen_of_Thunder
January 9, 2013, 02:23 AM
There is a very good chance that we will wish we had bought a couple dozen @$50.

Ehtereon11B
January 9, 2013, 08:03 AM
I have 2 PMAGs and got them back before they the cool hipster thing to do, about 2006. Work great in the M4. Always had the PMAG in first and the other in my back pocket for all SHTF. They were about $40 per when I bought them.

Pilot
January 9, 2013, 08:08 AM
Right after the Newtown shooting Pmags were still going for $12.99 per mag at my LGS until they sold out. Don't know what they are going for there now as I've avoided gun shops since the panic. I am sure they are sold out, as are every rifle that has any type of detachable mag or military look.

I may have bought several at that price, but sure they were with the rest of my firearms on the sailing trip.

W.E.G.
January 9, 2013, 09:26 AM
Magpul has their own sub-forum on ARFCOM.

The question was put to the moderator: How many PMAG's can you produce in a day.

His answer: "oodles"

rduckwor
January 9, 2013, 09:26 AM
They were 14.99 at Brownells right after the shooting, now 17.99 and gone.

RMD

dsb1829
January 9, 2013, 10:42 AM
There is no shortage. The supply chain has been sucked dry. There is however no shortage of them for sale on the private market. They are just going for 4-5X e-tail prices of two months ago. Deal with it. Buy now and risk over-paying or wait and risk some boobs in Washington making them illegal to buy at all. Choice is yours.

VegasAR15
January 9, 2013, 11:14 AM
They were 14.99 at Brownells right after the shooting, now 17.99 and gone.

RMD

The Monday after it happened I ordered 10 for me, 10 for a friend and 10 for my inlaws for $125 per 10 with free shipping. I backordered some more a few days later. I saw an article that said Brownells sold three years of mags in 3.5 days! I just checked again and its still $125 for 10 but no backorder available.

The most expensive I have seen was on ebay, 5 of them for $500!

Walkalong
January 9, 2013, 11:24 AM
I have some PMags, and I like them, but when I bought 10 more to put back for a rainy day, I bought USGI type mags. (With Magpul followers) BCM had them for $100 or $110 for 10. In stock. :)

Killian
January 9, 2013, 11:43 AM
His answer: "oodles"

"Oodles" isn't very helpful of an answer. Is that 100 a day? 1000 a day? 10,000?

According to this link http://www.manta.com/c/mm2ssms/magpul-industries-corp they employ about 10 to 19 people. So figure out how many 12 people (I'm subtracting 2 secretaries, 2 managers etc) could do in a day. I figure on average of about 1 mag every 4 minutes per person, what with having to run them off, cool off the plastic, packaging and shipping.

Ryanxia
January 9, 2013, 11:59 AM
One of our distributors said they sold 125,000 PMAGS in 1 hour I believe the Thursday after the CT shooting.

Captains1911
January 9, 2013, 02:37 PM
USGI mags = good
Pmags = better

there's a reason why they are also the preferred mag for many of our deployed soldiers.

3twelves
January 9, 2013, 03:23 PM
Pmags are light years ahead of the USGI green follower mags. If you say any different you haven't shot enough to know the difference.

timhernandez
January 9, 2013, 03:46 PM
I bought 50 last year to send to my 'kids' deployed overseas. Sent them each 5, and have the rest sitting in my safe.

I am trying hard to avoid the temptation to start selling some of them at these inflated prices.

Killian
January 9, 2013, 04:02 PM
One of our distributors said they sold 125,000 PMAGS in 1 hour I believe the Thursday after the CT shooting.

Yeah, I read an article this morning quoting Brownell's where they said they sold 3.5 years worth of magazines in 72 hours. Any surplus stocks that built up over time when people weren't buying are g.o.n.e. I spoke with a firearms dealer near here a couple of hours ago who told me that his distributor is saying it could be June before he can ship any new semi auto rifles to him. It's bizarre.

Edit: I might as well cite my sources so that I won't be accused of making up figures. Here's the story on Brownell's. http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/firearms-supplier-sells-more-three-years-worth-magazines-just-three

BradN
January 9, 2013, 04:16 PM
They are still out there. I just bought two. I am one lucky gunner .com.

Ehtereon11B
January 9, 2013, 05:31 PM
I just got back from one of my favored gun stores about an hour away. Ammo shelves bare, walls bare of nice rifles with only a handful of single shots left. Most of the pistol display cases empty. Looked more like they were moving. The last time they had PMAGs in stock was before the presidential debate. Went to order a new Marlin and their supplier was 4 WEEKS behind fulfilling orders.

Isaac-1
January 9, 2013, 05:37 PM
You know all this would be a moot point if all guns were sold with a reasonable minimum of 5 full size magazines

Ryanxia
January 9, 2013, 05:53 PM
Isaac-1
You know all this would be a moot point if all guns were sold with a reasonable minimum of 5 full size magazines

Most people don't stop at just 5 magazines. I think 60 per rifle is a good conservative number.

Captains1911
January 9, 2013, 06:12 PM
Ummmmm.....no. 5 mags per gun is not enough, not for me anyway. Which is why I've slowly been stocking up on AR, AK, and glock mags over the past 6 years or so....so I wouldn't have to worry about it when this sort of thing happened.

January 9, 2013, 06:13 PM
Your "reasonable" differs from mine.:evil:

EBK
January 9, 2013, 06:15 PM
Not just Pmags, but all other brands, also. Nothing special about Pmags.
Not just mags but everything AR is gone. I checked all my normal online sites and cant even find a buffertube kit midway, brownells, centerfiresystems aim surplus, milsurpstuff.com, copes distributing and many others. GONE everything is gone. This is insane.

USAF_Vet
January 9, 2013, 08:05 PM
I had a quad rail in my Amazon wish list before the panic. A nice one for $30 or so, nothing too fancy, lot of good reviews. Checked a couple weeks ago, and the few hundred they had in stock were all gone.
Most Magpul accessories are sold out as well. Vertical grips, angles grips, bolt on rails, ergo grips are few and far between.

It's crazy. I just hope things settle down soon. I'd like to be able to afford to go shooting and have some ammo left over.

scramasax
January 9, 2013, 08:50 PM
I've always looked for deals on both ammo and magazines for the guns I own. Generally bought ammo by the case and magazines when ever I had the money for a deal. I don't know what the "magic number is for how many mags per gun. Just know I want to be able to load enough for a full day of shooting. Mileage varies per caliber, of course.

I wonder how they plan on handleing semi auto belt fed guns. With a loader the sky is the limit.

justice06rr
January 9, 2013, 10:12 PM
I was never issued a P mag either in training or in a combat zone. They might be the gold standard for civilian use, but they metal bodied mags have been in use for 40+ years. There has to be a reason for that.

The reason is more about military contracts and budgets, among others. I'm sure GI mags are good, but they also were chosen because they are cheap and disposable.

If you just compare a basic GI mag with a Pmag you can easily tell the difference.

Anyway, thanks for your service.

Ehtereon11B
January 10, 2013, 08:45 AM
USGI mags have come a long way since the PMAGs were introduced. You will rarely find the infamous green follower magazines in service. Most USGI mags have upgraded MAGPUL brown 4 way followers in the same steel USGI body. The followers give it almost the same reliable feeding as the PMAG. But any major bind in the steel body will through that reliability out the window.

The Marine Corps recently forbade their soldiers to use PMAGs (article in MarineTimes) because some PMAGs weren't fitting into the magazine of the M249 SAW, a crew served belt fed or SHTF magazine fed weapon. Seems like a giant kneejerk reaction for a minimal problem especially since Magpul redesigned the PMAG to work better in the SAW.

VegasAR15
January 10, 2013, 11:11 AM
PANIC: One Million AR-15 Magazines On Backorder
http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/panic-one-million-ar-15-magazines-backorder

Hope everyone already got their backorders in.

roadliner
January 10, 2013, 04:13 PM
I was at a gun show recently to buy myself a christmas gift and was shocked at the prices for mags, both AR and AK's. I don't have near the quantities that a lot of you guys have, but I still have some of both types in the factory wrapping. I'll probably make it through this period, no matter how long it lasts. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "The Great P Mag Shortage Of 2013" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!