Crazy to buy Firestorm 1911 in 38 Super?

PDA

coltrane679
March 6, 2004, 05:01 AM
I've always wanted a 38 Super to play around with, and I've found a dirt cheap one--a limited edition from Firestorm going for about $260 (plus shipping) online:

http://snipurl.com/4wg6

I had a Firestorm 380 once--it was quite nice, made by Bersa but with better grips than the standard Bersa 380. But my recollection is that Firestorm's larger guns are usually Llamas--hmmm...not nearly attractive as Bersa!

Anybody seen or used one of these? Also, what about mags? I think in .45 the mags are compatible with some standard 1911 mags--is the same true in 38 Super (not that there are lots of 38 Super mags out there, I'd guess).

This is to be a "toy", not a CC or nightstand gun (although I don't want a jam-o-matic, either).

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Crazy to buy Firestorm 1911 in 38 Super?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PCRCCW
March 6, 2004, 10:14 AM
Ive played with this exact gun for sale locally in a nicer gun store. They are selling it for 229$ If I remember right. The slide/frame/barrel fit is quite loose..but I still pick up the gun once in a while and am tempted to get it as a "desert plinker"........its still there after at least 2 years. Its strictly up to you.............Good luck.

Shoot well.

Tropical Z
March 6, 2004, 11:39 AM
I'd say go for it.If its new, it has a warranty so why not? People need to be willing to take a chance now and then.The only drawbacks i can see are ammo availability and cost.

Stasher1
March 6, 2004, 01:37 PM
You probably won't be able to buy ammo at WalMart, but most any decent gun shop will stock 38 Super ammo. It's also cheaper than you'd think. Plinking ammo is about $11 for a 50 rd box at my local dealer. I'm sure you can probably find some in the same price range wherever you are.

Smoke
March 6, 2004, 01:45 PM
I'd say try to find one in a shop to look at before you commit to an online deal. I had a firestorm I bought off the internet. I got rif of it as fast as I could. Fit and finish was horrible. Grip screws were too long, they pinched the mag. Sights were the worst I've ever seen. Gun worked though.

Smoke

coltrane679
March 6, 2004, 07:42 PM
I checked out the .45 version today--not bad for the price (it's even cheaper than the 38 Suoer). What the heck--I need to develop some smithing skills anyway, so I'll probably go for it. As someone mentioned, at least Firestorms have a good warranty!

Tropical Z
March 7, 2004, 02:44 AM
The Firestorm 1911's ive seen look fine,but ive never fired one.I think youd like the .45acp better.

Grayrider
March 7, 2004, 09:24 AM
I would suggest you do some searches here and at the 1911 forums regarding the quality of the Firestorms. They don't seem to hold up very long from most reports. If you want a cheap gun in that caliber you might want to look for a Rock Island. I have not seen one of the .38 Supers, but they seem to run around $400 dealer from what I hear. Shooters Arms makes a .38 Super as well, but I hear mixed reviews on their quality as well.

As to .38 Super, it is a wonderful round. My main CCW pistol will be a Pro Carry in that caliber. However, one must reload or be willing to mail order ammo unless you have a gun shop that makes it a point to stock factory ammo in that caliber. It has definately become far less than a mainstream round. Sad, but true.

GR

WhoKnowsWho
March 7, 2004, 10:24 AM
I saw a great looking Rock Island .38 Super in hard chrome for about $400, went back to handle it some more and it was gone. It was a Mil-Spec styled 1911, only bad part, were the small bump sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crazy to buy Firestorm 1911 in 38 Super?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!