Commercial Ploy mags don't fit my WASR-10

PDA

Neo-Luddite
January 9, 2013, 12:13 PM
I have a WASR-10/63 and have had for six years or so. Up until now, I've used Romanian and Maddi surplus steel mags with no problem at all. With all the recent hubub I tried a old NIB tapco mag I had and ordered a new palm mag which came. Both are nice well made items, but neither will 'hook' onto the front mag stud on the WASR. The prob is the steel mags lock up so nice, I don't dare want to start dremelling the mag well (and I KNOW the WASR's are 'cut out' to spec here in the states). Are ideas? Can I take a dremmel to these mags or should I just pass them off to someone?

If you enjoyed reading about "Commercial Ploy mags don't fit my WASR-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FIVETWOSEVEN
January 9, 2013, 03:57 PM
Try the mags on another AK if you can. Do your steel mags fit extremely snug or do they glide out without issue?

Dr. Sandman
January 9, 2013, 04:04 PM
Medicine before surgery, my friend. Dumb question, but is your rifle clean? Are you sure that you have AK mags? Personally, I would sell them and only use mags that work well in your non-dremmeled rifle. Best of luck.

Davek1977
January 9, 2013, 05:24 PM
Actually, the phenomenon of tapco, etc mags not fitting in WASR's is widely known, and its typically due to the mag well not being cut perfectly. I experienced the same thing, but haven't taken any steps to fix it yet

Fishbed77
January 9, 2013, 05:28 PM
The prob is the steel mags lock up so nice, I don't dare want to start dremelling the mag well (and I KNOW the WASR's are 'cut out' to spec here in the states).

I would never modify my AK to take polymer mags if (superior) steel mags fit well.

The better option would be to slightly file the plastic mags until they lock up like they are supposed to.

bri
January 9, 2013, 10:09 PM
I would never modify my AK to take polymer mags if (superior) steel mags fit well.

The better option would be to slightly file the plastic mags until they lock up like they are supposed to.
Bingo.

Neo-Luddite
January 10, 2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks-this is what I thought too. The steel mags hook in without fanfare.

Yes, the rifle is very dirty. I have never cleaned it--several 1000 rounds. It hasn't failed to work w/ steel mags.

chez323
January 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
"Actually, the phenomenon of tapco, etc mags not fitting in WASR's is widely known, and its typically due to the mag well not being cut perfectly. I experienced the same thing, but haven't taken any steps to fix it yet"

the only AK my Tapco mags fit in consistently is my Vector Underfolder, my Zastava, Arsenal and AMD-65 did not like them. Did not have that problem with any of my metal mags. I just don't buy them anymore, problem solved.

If you enjoyed reading about "Commercial Ploy mags don't fit my WASR-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!