Driven by Fear... Do I Need an AR?

PDA

craiso
January 9, 2013, 02:32 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As the title says, with all that is going down in our country, do I need to buy an AR before I can't get one? I have been looking at an NEF/H&R .223 single shot for some time and I would be happy with it. FEAR of what our current administration is capable of makes me feel like I need to fork out the money for a stripped lower to build upon. What say you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Driven by Fear... Do I Need an AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mcdonl
January 9, 2013, 02:45 PM
No. If you dont need it, dont buy it.

WANT may be a different story. But not everyone needs one.

Even needs is used loosely... I *need* one for varmint hunting, but do I NEED to varmint hunt? Yes... I believe I do.

Nasty
January 9, 2013, 02:46 PM
Fear of a crash causes me to buckle my seat belt.

Fear of leaving my wife without causes me to buy life insurance.

Do you fear your government?

Buy now.

tyeo098
January 9, 2013, 03:01 PM
I would NOT buy one now with current prices.
Should have bought one before or wait this one out.

Bubbles
January 9, 2013, 03:04 PM
IMO no. If you want one, wait six months for gun control legislation to stall in Congress and the sluggish economy & tax increases to hit more people in the wallet. A lot of lightly used product will be for sale.

nathan
January 9, 2013, 03:09 PM
Get you a nice bolt action in .3006 and topped with a good scope. You can have the most powerful cartridge of all time, and dont have to worry them running out . AR s are nice but its a killing right now. Don t get ripped off.

brnmw
January 9, 2013, 03:14 PM
Not unless you simply "Want" one. I highly recommend one, but don't buy out of fear, especially now... ( Ford Credit may have some loan options available. ;) )

USAF_Vet
January 9, 2013, 03:27 PM
With prices being what they are right now, you might find yourself better served with something different. A .38/.357 or .30-30 lever gun is a viable option. A single shot or bolt action would not be my first choice, bu I'd make do if that was all I had, unless I was sitting on a huge pile of cash and spending 300% over retail for an AR and ammo wouldn't hurt.

Hapworth
January 9, 2013, 03:28 PM
IMO no. If you want one, wait six months for gun control legislation to stall in Congress and the sluggish economy & tax increases to hit more people in the wallet. A lot of lightly used product will be for sale.
The smart money, right there.

Killian
January 9, 2013, 03:29 PM
SKS don't seem to have been terribly marked up during this "panic", which I still don't believe is equivalent to what I saw in '94 in terms of price rise. You could still find one for about the same as a month ago. They aren't bad rifles.

Edit: I wish I shared the confidence that many of you have that nothing is going to happen. Sadly, I don't.

Skribs
January 9, 2013, 03:45 PM
Yeah, the SKS is quickly coming up on my radar as a potential option should a "hi-cap" ban go into place...assuming it isn't restricted for other reasons.

If you want an AR, I think your options are A) buy high now, or B) hope it's available later. I'm going with option B, personally. I'm writing letters to congress and donating to NRA-ILA in hopes that we don't have a new ban.

horsemen61
January 9, 2013, 03:46 PM
If you do get one you will pay threw the nose for it.

Uncle Richard
January 9, 2013, 03:52 PM
I have been struggling with succumbing to the fear of a possible ban. Long before fear escalated prices, I was planning on buying an AR this spring. Hopefully, prices will go back down to normal in May. I really would like an AR for 3gun. I saw a DPMS standard AR for $2000, when it usually costs ~$750.

I feel better hearing the majority of everyone’s comments to sit tight.

Hapworth
January 9, 2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah, the SKS is quickly coming up on my radar as a potential option should a "hi-cap" ban go into place...assuming it isn't restricted for other reasons.If I recall, the SKS is on Feinstein's list.

Texan Scott
January 9, 2013, 04:14 PM
I don't even particularly LIKE ar pattern rifles, but am beginning to feel it may become necessary to acquire one as part of a responsible, well reasoned plan to seriously hack off the Queen of California.

mike.h
January 9, 2013, 04:21 PM
I purchased the crp-18 (colt's 3 g comp gun), a month or so before the panic started and I have to admit it is my favorite gun to shoot right now. It feels good at the range. I like the craftmanship and attention to detail. Plus it's very accurate. What's not to like?

Creature
January 9, 2013, 04:25 PM
If I didn't already own two,...I sure as hell would.

Ignition Override
January 9, 2013, 04:37 PM
Nobody else can answer that.
Have you watched Brandon401401 on his Youtube Channel hit metal gongs from 150 and 300 yards, using his AK's irons sights (modified trigger)...in a free stance or kneeling?
If this bores you, most 'regular' guys Will enjoy watching his wife "Kirsti Rockin' The SKS"...

Such a skilled shooter as Brandon can probably also do this with a $350-$400 SKS.
Gunbroker should still have about four pages of SKS, with many at fairly normal (pre-panic) prices. With my SKS and Garand etc, the AR never really appealed to me before the mania, or now. Good luck with your decision.

Isaac-1
January 9, 2013, 04:41 PM
I can't answer that question for you with the current political situation, however I can say I am very glad I bought my AR a few days into the current craze when I could still buy it at pre-craze pricing. Of course I had been shopping for an AR off and on for a long time, just never felt the NEED for one until I saw the fact that the prices were about to sky rocket.

Creature
January 9, 2013, 04:43 PM
Such a skilled shooter can probably also do this with a $350-$400 SKS.

...except that the SKS is also on Feinstein's latest poop-list as well.

Skribs
January 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
Feinstein's list is very unlikely to be passed. Limitations on magazine capacity could very well be passed unless we win.

Ryanxia
January 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
Get one. They are fun. And still able to be had at reasonable prices if you find the right place.

Plus, it's an investment. :)

eaglesnester
January 9, 2013, 04:52 PM
30/30 lever gun would be my choice. U can keep on shoving live rounds in the side loading magazine even while shooting. My winchester holds 7 rounds. is accurate,hard hitting and fast shooten. it held of bad guys, cattle rustlers, hostile injuns, and the sheriff always carried one and for good reason.

Ala Dan
January 9, 2013, 05:02 PM
At a recent Alabama Gun Collectors Show the first of 2013, a "run of the mill"
Windham Arms AR-15 in 5.56 was going for $1799; a far cry from the usual
$699~! ;)

45lcshooter
January 9, 2013, 05:15 PM
If you don't have one don't bother unless you really need it. A buddy of mine was at a gun show last weekend and said the Sportical(stripped down AR) was averaging 2k dollars. He told me that, I about fell off the recliner. Components for reloading and ammo is sky high to, that's why I'm glad for m" mom and pop" gun shops. Was just there today, and the racks are full of guns(still at reasonable prices) and ooooodles of powder primers and bullets at regular price.

Coop45
January 9, 2013, 05:20 PM
My wife wants a bigger house, so if you really want an AR..........

craiso
January 9, 2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a bolt gun in .270, lever gun in .30-30, several shotties and handguns... you get the picture. Obama/Biden are looking to make history again and with the momentum that current events have created, stupidity may ensue. I don't need an AR, but I don't want to miss out on owning a hi-cap semi-auto long-gun.

JERRY
January 9, 2013, 05:39 PM
buy an AR now....if things get better you can always sell it or keep it....

Sgt.Murtaugh
January 9, 2013, 05:48 PM
I don't believe anyone needs an AR

but I do believe in people's rights to own one should they desire one.

nwilliams
January 9, 2013, 06:37 PM
Nobody but you can decide whether or not you need an AR. However if you want one and can find one for a reasonable price then you can decide if you want one or not.

Keep in mind that if you buy one simply because you feel you need to have one then you are depriving someone else of owning one that actually really wants one.

HammerheadSSN663
January 9, 2013, 07:21 PM
No. All you really need is a shotgun with flight control rounds and 22LR in semi.

A hot 22 round will kill you dead from a long ways away.

rfroy
January 9, 2013, 07:32 PM
No not unless you want one. I would purchase as much ammo as you candor the guns you have. If you are looking to purchase a new gun the look for a 3030 or other lever action, or look for a Remington 740 / 7400 or 750 in 3006 that would basically give you an M1 Grand!

BLB68
January 9, 2013, 07:37 PM
If you didn't need one before the panic, you probably don't need one after.

If you want one, go for it. But prices will be dropping once the panic is over. The Democrats don't have a supermajority, which would be needed to pass another AWB. If they make enough noise over this issue, I'd expect a huge Republican turn out in the mid-term elections, so the likelihood of a ban going through in Obama's second term seem slim to none to me.

readyeddy
January 9, 2013, 07:44 PM
Why bother? I own an AR and I'm not shooting it because I can't find replacement ammo. If it comes to the point where I can't find 22 LR for a decent price, then it's time to switch hobbies, at least for the time being. Maybe time to start shooting air rifle (hopefully pellets don't triple in price).

Ignition Override
January 9, 2013, 07:51 PM
BLB68:
Even though you explained the political 'big picture' really well in a clear nutshell, on gun websites most people don't pay attention, it seems.
They seem to believe that politicians are willing to lose their jobs.

Fear is much more profitable and and has much more power on the human mind.
So many people forget that pure profit is the motive behind much of the "sky is falling:eek:" talk right now.
Imagine how many unhappy gun owners there will be when the 'gun/ammo bubble' finally deflates or bursts:(.

gbran
January 9, 2013, 07:53 PM
I have been a firearms acumulator for several decades. I currently have 17 handguns, 6 shotties and 14 various rifles. I don't own an AR, AK or anything that could be described as a black rifle or any that would likely come under a new AWB. I have no need/want for an AR, but I'll fight any AWB effort with everything I can.

pezo
January 9, 2013, 08:18 PM
^^^same here. The only gun I have that would be affected is my m 1 carbine. I'm mostly a wheel gunner/ pump shotgunner. But I hate assault weapons bans and over reaching government. I oppose any restrictions on our second amendment rights. I consider those who want gun control criminals against the constitution.

Tangent
January 9, 2013, 08:24 PM
Let your own conscience be your guide, and be honest with yourself. If you want one just to say you have one, then I don't think that's a good enough reason.
If you want one because you think you will go to battle against your government, then that's an even worse reason.
Be rational, be logical, weigh the pros and cons and compare/contrast all those reasons that drive you to "want" one and then decide. But don't base it soley on fear.
Also, what BLB68 said.

Cosmoline
January 9, 2013, 08:31 PM
Now ain't the time to buy. The panic will decline by summer as Congress gets mired down and folks realize the sky is not falling. Then you'll see prices come back closer to sanity. Remember also that production has been amped up in the wake of the massive backlog. When that hits the shelves in a few months the supply will suddenly be outstripping demand and down down down comes the price.

Now for the longer term, I *DO* advise the "buy and hold" option.

Uncle Richard
January 9, 2013, 08:34 PM
I don't believe anyone needs an AR

but I do believe in people's rights to own one should they desire one.
nobody needs a hotrod car, but they are a lot of fun....

Isaac-1
January 9, 2013, 08:34 PM
To the last few posts about not wanting an AR, I had been on the fence on getting an AR for a long time, then bought one just as this craze began at a fair price. It was not until after I had owned this AR for a couple of weeks that I really got it, and understood their appeal, part of it is they are an incredibly modular gun platform, like nothing else I can think of. Sure other guns can be customized, but that usualy involves the work of skilled gunsmiths or is just a clip on accessory, with the AR's it is a much more LEGO like approach, this can be easily illustrated by the fact that the typical flat to AR does not even come with iron sights.

joecil
January 9, 2013, 08:36 PM
I've shot a number of AR and AK platform guns but personally never had a need. First most are somewhat under powered for most real hunting with a 308, 30-06 etc being better hunting guns in general as for self defense at ranges that would allow you not to go to jail for murder is about 10 yards so a hand gun will do that job or a shot gun. Unless you feel a need to own one save your money and get something you will actually shoot regularly that is easy to maintain.

Apachedriver
January 9, 2013, 08:42 PM
Being driven by fear is not a reason to take any action without an effective goal or purpose. You need to assess exactly what your fears are and then decide on an action.

I don't need an AR, but I don't want to miss out on owning a hi-cap semi-auto long-gun.

Ok, so 2 days, or a week, or 6 months after you buy it, a ban and confiscation goes into effect on all AR's...what then? Do you turn it in and remain content because at least you had a chance to own one?

If you feel like buying one and you are good with the current prices, then go for it. If you feel like waiting until prices come down, then wait. Either way it's a risk and decision you have to make for yourself.

If you're really worried or afraid of what O'binky and Co. might do, then redirect your efforts to helping ensure that they don't get their way. Then you and even more importantly, your descendants, won't have to live with the fear you have now.

BTW, for every twenty or so "outrageously" priced AR's I've seen, I have also seen ones that are only a couple of hundred bucks over the previous pricing norm. So go hunt them down.

Steel Horse Rider
January 9, 2013, 08:43 PM
No. Buy something more reasonable. Lever gun, SKS, pump shotgun, or Ruger Mini something.

Warp
January 9, 2013, 08:44 PM
If you think you might want one sometime, and you can get one for a somewhat reasonable price now, it might be a good idea...just in case.

justice06rr
January 9, 2013, 08:54 PM
The AR15 is not your only option of a semiauto rifle. It is the most popular, but currently way too overpriced.

Unless you really want an AR-type rifle, Look also at Mini14, SKS, and AK's.

Akita1
January 9, 2013, 08:56 PM
Ala Dan & 45lcshooter +1. The current prices are insane (gun show in Orlando last weekend had basic ARs in $1500 - 2000 range!). You can either wait until the noise blows over or take the risk they'll be banned - I personally do not think an outright ban is coming (more likely stricter background checks, etc.) but if it does, you can always buy one in a private sale. There is a glut of inventory that has come into private hands in recent weeks due to all the paranoia so there are likely people who bought them but couldn't really afford them and will be looking to unload in a few months (much like the end of hunting season when buyer's remorse sets in).

Warp
January 9, 2013, 09:04 PM
The AR15 is not your only option of a semiauto rifle. It is the most popular, but currently way too overpriced.

Unless you really want an AR-type rifle, Look also at Mini14, SKS, and AK's.

I take it you haven't priced those out recently.

GAF
January 9, 2013, 09:10 PM
My I suggest :

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Colt-LE6920-Carbine-Semi-Auto-Rifle-223-Rem-5.56-NATO/21677322

If you really want want an AR . You most likely will not be able to find one on the shelf , but may be able to order one or get on a waiting list. They will not be charging 6 prices for it either.

Cosmoline
January 9, 2013, 09:11 PM
Unless you feel a need to own one save your money and get something you will actually shoot regularly that is easy to maintain.

AR's are very easy to maintain and have enormous advantages over either a handgun or a bolt action rifle for home defense.

Warp
January 9, 2013, 09:26 PM
AR's are very easy to maintain and have enormous advantages over either a handgun or a bolt action rifle for home defense.

They are superbly easy to maintain, you are right. And they make excellent home defense guns

SOUTHPAW
January 9, 2013, 09:27 PM
Glad I bought a premium AR long before the craziness. Now I just wish I bought a lot more ammo... :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Driven by Fear... Do I Need an AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!