Good Cop - Bad Cop???

PDA

LubeckTech
January 9, 2013, 04:31 PM
With the rumblings of "Executive Orders" from the White House today are looking at Biden and Obama pulling the old Good Cop - Bad Cop technique on us??????

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Cop - Bad Cop???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skribs
January 9, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm a little confused by this analogy. Good Cop - Bad Cop normally means "I'm your friend, let me help you" and "I'm going to make sure you go down." They both pretty much seem to be saying "we need to ban guns." That's like Bad Cop - Bad Cop.

Killian
January 9, 2013, 04:38 PM
I think that they are pulling out all the stops. In my opinion, they are engaged in a fairly classic negotiation tactic. They are asking for the moon in the Feinstein proposals but realistically only expect to get some "minor" wins such as bans on hi cap mags, maybe a ban on the new manufacture of "assault rifles",("minor" to them, not to us) but not universal background checks, or registration.

The Executive Order thing being talked about today from Biden is disturbing. I could speculate on what I think it means and where it will go, but that never seems to end well. By the way, where are other threads talking the issue of "executive orders"? I'd like to go read what has been said there.

LubeckTech
January 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
I think Biden will be pushing "You have to cooperate with and give me something to appease Obama or he will sign a really bad EO that you won't like". Biden will be the good cop protecting us from Obama the bad cop if we "play ball" with him. The tactic is for the two to act as a team to get the subject to concede or confess.

AlexanderA
January 9, 2013, 05:49 PM
...but realistically only expect to get some "minor" wins such as bans on hi cap mags, maybe a ban on the new manufacture of "assault rifles",("minor" to them, not to us) but not universal background checks, or registration.

A high-capacity mag ban would be far worse than universal background checks. A 20- or 30-round magazine is one of the key things that makes a military-style semiauto effective. That should be our line in the sand, in terms of the 2nd Amendment. I could live with every buyer having to fill out a Form 4473 (as long as the information wasn't accumulated in a central database), and with every seller having to call in for a NICS approval number (as long as that service was free). Registration, of course, is a non-starter. So is making "assault weapons" non-transferable, in lieu of outright confiscation. If they confiscate, they darn well better compensate at full fair market value (as if that would ever happen -- they simply don't have the money).

LubeckTech
January 9, 2013, 11:38 PM
The ironic thing is they want to tell us we have no reason to distrust the government BUT Obama says if congress who are elected by the people of the states does not do what he wants he will "bypass" them and act on his own. I can't see how THAT would promote confidence as that is what dictators do!!

Hypnogator
January 10, 2013, 02:39 AM
Biden has been shoved out front to float the idea of "Executive Orders" because the handwriting is on the wall about the administration's chances of passing assault weapons bans and magazine limitations.

It'll mollify some of the antis, and if there is a groundswell of opposition, well, it wasn't the administration's idea, just Crazy Uncle Joe spouting off again!

Bovice
January 10, 2013, 02:49 AM
They're both saying the same thing with respect to their opinions on guns.

With that said, the thread reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz1Lypwfwug

radiotom
January 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
Hypnogator, where is the writing on the wall? The republican controlled house?

Did you not see what they just did with tax increases? Big hit on the "wealthy" and payroll tax increase on 77% of households without any spending cuts? And you don't expect them to cave on at least hi-cap magazines?

Please tell me where the writing on the wall is...

autospike
January 10, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hypnogator, where is the writing on the wall? The republican controlled house?

Did you not see what they just did with tax increases? Big hit on the "wealthy" and payroll tax increase on 77% of households without any spending cuts? And you don't expect them to cave on at least hi-cap magazines?

Please tell me where the writing on the wall is...

Couldn't have said it better. The House is ineffectual.

CLP
January 10, 2013, 10:13 AM
This is my concern as well. It's not like the GOP hasn't voted for 2A restrictions in the past, and there's no better indicator of what lies ahead than what has happened in the past. They signed the tax legislation to avoid being villified by the left wing spin doctors in hopes of maintaining some strength in the mid-term elections. My worry is that they'll fold on the torrent of legislation restricting our 2A rights as well.

MErl
January 10, 2013, 10:26 AM
There is a big different between gun control and the recent tax fiasco. Nobody is backed against the wall, do something by Feb 31 or we hand out uzis in kindergarten.
The house made a gamble that someone else would win the election and they'd be able to make the fiscal changes they wanted. That gamble lost.
There is no such deadline on gun control. It can be shelved until the next Mayan apocalypse with no backlash (from R voters at least).

Sam1911
January 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
I think it is MUCH more likely that Biden is being pushed forward as the scapegoat. They have to make a big show of "doing something" for their base, but they know that there's very little they can actually DO -- certainly almost nothing unilaterally and anything going through Congress is going to be like dragging a porcupine backwards through a cactus patch.

So the President wants to be seen as concerned and active, but not directly responsible for the inevitable withering of the momentum and eventual failure. So he has the VP form a committee to look into it. If they string it along long enough, very few people out in "the public" will still have this on their minds when the wheels eventually fall off. And for those who are still paying attention, the failure is tagged to Biden's name, not so much Obama's. The Prez can cluck and shake his head and make disapproving noises about the bad, bad men who won't let his VP succeed, but doesn't take a personal hit.

LubeckTech
January 10, 2013, 01:05 PM
I definitely believe it is a sign the calls for restrictive legislation are losing momentum. Pushing for limits on "Exective Orders" (which limits we need) right now would not hurt as it might make them think about backing down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Cop - Bad Cop???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!