marking once/twice/3 times fired brass

PDA

willymc
January 9, 2013, 04:37 PM
I want to mark some once, twice, and 3 times fired brass to be wet tumbled together with stainless steel. I donít have enough of each to justify tumbling separately. I know marking with felt tip pen will just be tumbled off. I was wondering if it would be ok to etch a small mark by the headstamp with a dremel or such. I donít see a problem but there is way more experience here than I have.

If you enjoyed reading about "marking once/twice/3 times fired brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 9, 2013, 04:39 PM
You could.

A spring loaded center-punch would be my choice.

http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loaded-center-punch-621.html

http://www.micromark.com/jewelers-center-punch,6471.html

You can mark them as fast as you can pick them up and throw them down.
Some are adjustable impact for smaller dents.

rc

willymc
January 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks again, RC. I've got one of those in my tool box. I'm going to out and give it a try.

willymc
January 9, 2013, 04:52 PM
Works like a champ! Thanks again!

rcmodel
January 9, 2013, 05:05 PM
Thats good!

Just make sure you aren't throwing up big divots that will effect headspace or chambering.

rc

Chawbaccer
January 9, 2013, 10:44 PM
I use a triangular file on mine. A quick swipe along the bottom edge of the rim and it it done.
I'm not arguing against the center punch, I just don't have one.

NeuseRvrRat
January 9, 2013, 10:51 PM
you could give these a try

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618687/lyman-turbo-tumbler-brass-baggies-package-of-12

Kachok
January 9, 2013, 11:44 PM
I don't get why you would need to sort brass by the number of times it has been fired could someone fill me in? I have some PPU brass that has been used more times then I care to count that still groups fantastic with the once fired stuff of the same brand. I always thought that once brass was worn out the primers would not stick or the neck would crack when resizing. Am I missing something?

NeuseRvrRat
January 9, 2013, 11:54 PM
some folks only like to fire some brass a certain number of times. for example, reload 223 for a semi-auto too many times and you may end up with a case head separation.

jcwit
January 9, 2013, 11:56 PM
Onion bags work well, and are free, well they are after you use the onions.

capreppy
January 10, 2013, 07:21 AM
some folks only like to fire some brass a certain number of times. for example, reload 223 for a semi-auto too many times and you may end up with a case head separation.
I like to keep track of mine to know when to anneal. Certain brass, I'll anneal every 3.

CLP
January 10, 2013, 10:31 AM
I just keep mine in those heavy duty gallon-sized zip lock freezer bags and write X1, X2, X3...etc to indicate the number of times they've been reloaded. That way I don't have to worry about etching anything into the brass and I tumble and load them as a group. The same info goes onto my reloading label as well.

Dthunter
January 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
Everyone has a system. If it works for you thats just fine.
I myself donot keep track of the #of fireings, but I do rotate the cases in the MTM cases I use.

If you enjoyed reading about "marking once/twice/3 times fired brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!