Pretty Much My Worst Range Day To Date....

PDA

BerettaNut92
February 1, 2003, 11:49 PM
I thought I'd try out this rifle range that has steel targets up in Los Angeles, and Twoblink's friend happens to live somewhat nearby and wanted to go shoot something.

I'm getting over a cold and didn't sleep well.

Drove up to pick up Twoblink's friend in the morning then headed to the range.

When I got to her place (who lives a good 45 miles away from me), I realized I didn't have a :cuss: magazine for my M1A!!!!!

So I call the local gun store but no M1A mags so I pretty much shot it on single shot.

Anyway, turns out she got a big fat one hour of sleep so was pretty tired and feeling out of it. Also, they didn't have hearing pro for rent so I had to buy another set for her which set me back a couple bucks. I don't think they had plugs, so I bought a $21 set of muffs.

I hate shooting off of tables, and couldn't get a comfortable shooting position so imagine how SHE felt.

Did I mention the smallest rifle I have is a .308??? No .22 yet in the Skunkabilly Armory.

Then I find out that my Portuguese military stuff is steel core. They weren't jerks about me using prohibited ammo, they told me I could still shoot paper or at the dirt, and didn't kick me out though they had every right to.

But since I couldn't hear my shots on the target I didn't know if I hit them in the first place.

So, to sum it up:
1. Got to shoot my M1A in single shot
2. Guest was bored/tired, and shot less than 10 rounds.
3. I didn't even know if I hit anything.
4. I got to spend $48, not including gas.
5. Didn't even shoot for an hour and did about 30 rounds.

Top that :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Pretty Much My Worst Range Day To Date...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45R
February 1, 2003, 11:56 PM
Skunk-
We all have our good days and bad days. You'll have more good ones. Its okay not to be tactical every once in a while :)

45R

HABU
February 2, 2003, 12:24 AM
Pretty Much My Worst Range Day To Date....
Is that all? I thought perhaps you offended DVNovum :neener:

Sorry you had a bummer of a time. Reminds me of the time my son and I went hunting and I opened up the dual case to find a single rifle...... :what: ......and it wasn't mine:eek: :o

Dave R
February 2, 2003, 01:22 AM
"No .22 yet in the Skunkabilly Armory."

Well, there's your problem! If you had a .22, you coulda shot at the steel, your friend prolly woulda shot more, and to top it off, you probably wouldn't have forgotten your M1A mag(s).

Seriously, though, I don't think its good to start a new shooter on a .308.

Also, I think its illegal to own more than 2 rifles, and not have a .22.

tex_n_cal
February 2, 2003, 01:48 AM
If it makes you feel any better, this past fall I cheerfully loaded up the truck, did the 4 hour winding drive through the Sierra Nevada, cruised into the Mono Lake area, put on the camo, opened the rifle case, and found my Ruger 77/22, instead of my FN Mauser .30-06:banghead:

I spent the evening watching deer with binoculars, rather than through the scope. It's just as well I saw no bucks, I'd have been really steamed.:D

tex_n_cal
February 2, 2003, 01:53 AM
Oh, and Skunky, get yourself a Ruger 10/22 - you only need a wrench to change the barrels, or do other fun things to them.:)

You may not even need a barrel, they seem to shoot pretty well, even stock:)

Schuey2002
February 2, 2003, 02:04 AM
Skunk, cheer up ! It's only bound to get better for ya' !!:neener:

It's good to know that the "SKUNK" is human after all.:evil:

HS/LD
February 2, 2003, 02:05 AM
Skunk if you really want to be TACTICAL, you must plan ahead and check and re-check your equipment.

I will let you off this time as you could blame your sickness...

HS/LD

MountainPeak
February 2, 2003, 02:11 AM
Skunk, I had a bad shooting day myself. Drove almost 3 miles and set up my targets in the woods. Shot for a little over 2 hours and three different vehicles drove by. How the hell is a guy gonna keep his mind on shooting with distractions like that? I mean I'm not talking about one of them driving by and turning around. It was 3 SEPARATE vehicles. Sheese!! I should have just stayed home and shot off my deck. I can certainly validate and relate to your day.

Sactown
February 2, 2003, 02:15 AM
What? No one else keeps spare M1A mags in their car but me?

Hey Skunk,

I got the perfect tactical Kali legal .22 for you.

http://www.featherusa.com/img1.jpg

http://www.featherusa.com/img3.gif

http://www.featherusa.com/img13.jpg

Kahr carrier
February 2, 2003, 02:17 AM
Heck you guys should have took a tactical nap. Its hard to shoot or have fun on 1 hour sleep.;)

Kahr carrier
February 2, 2003, 02:19 AM
And know you Know to add a 22Lr rifle to your shopping list.:)

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 05:19 PM
She's shot before, but was just...tired.

I don't want to say too much but I think I need to do a background check before I take any more of twoblink's friends shooting!

Today was better. Shot a steel match and man do I love my Beretta.

Slotback
February 2, 2003, 05:24 PM
These days do occur. You got some trigger time, and that's some consolation.

10-Ring
February 2, 2003, 05:39 PM
Good to hear you got back in the saddle! :D Wish I coulda joined ya this AM...still have a couple things to finish up.

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 05:46 PM
10-ring look what you missed! A video of me going tactical:
http://www.skunkabilly.com/media/ssa20030202_1.avi
The Filipino dude behind me is kiddb from HKPRO.

10-Ring
February 2, 2003, 07:53 PM
Oh, Sinsei Skunk believe me, I would have much rather been shooting than being a grown up and mopping the house & cleaning bathrooms :(

twoblink
February 4, 2003, 07:30 AM
Well now,

The thing you didn't mention was, how was the company?? If you two didn't really get along, then that just adds a few nails to the coffin..

Hmm... twoblink quote and quotables..

"Skunk, get yourself a .22LR so you can take women to the range properly."

"Skunk, buy a bolt action so not remembering magazines won't be a problem."

What happened to the tactical batman belt??? Didn't you have extra magazines strapped to your hip???

Will Fennell
February 4, 2003, 08:15 AM
Skunk,
Go buy a Ruger 10/22 and you'll feel better......

Besides, they make CARBON FIBER wrapped barrels for them that you can install yourself;)

twoblink
February 4, 2003, 08:36 AM
I've realized that in the storm of the practical vs. tactical debate; it seems the boy scouts had it right; "Always be prepared!" trumps being tactical..

You need a Ruger 10/22, and a Ruger 22/45

cslinger
February 4, 2003, 09:17 AM
You offended the god of shooting. Everybody else has mentioned that you need a decent .22. I mean isn't that a federal law or something.

1224(r) All those who seek to own more than one firearm are required to purchase at least one of them in the caliber of .22 rimfire subsequent to subsection A, Paragraph 23, Line 16, word 12, syllable 2, Letter 6. All further firearm purchases may be made in a caliber soley at the discresion of the afore mentioned purchaser.

I'm pretty sure that comes right from the BATF....really.

I mean how can you own a P7...droool, but not have an itty bitty, inexpensive Ruger .22. Blasphemy I tells ya, blasphemy. :what:

BerettaNut92
February 4, 2003, 01:20 PM
Because no honest man needs a Ruger ;)

I'm waiting to move out of state to get that AR-15 .22 conversion.

I'm big on having the same manual of arms on my .22s.

It's not that we didn't get along...just she didn't get much sleep.

Gewehr98
February 4, 2003, 03:42 PM
Have Rugers.

And the prairie dogs would just as soon they didn't.

Not terribly tactical, but:

http://mauser98.com/darin22-1.jpg

Frohickey
February 4, 2003, 03:53 PM
In my range bag/cleaning kit, I keep two sets of disposable foam earplugs in their original plastic wrapper, for when I take another person to the range and there is no range ear-muffs to be borrowed or had. Sometimes, I dig into that if the range wants to charge an arm&leg to rent one.

Now, if I can figure out how to squeeze a 22LR rifle into the size of two stacked VHS tapes, I'd be set if I manage to forget to get the gun out before heading to the range.

Mute
February 4, 2003, 07:35 PM
Geez skunk! Don't you know the 7 P's.

Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Remember these words and take them to heart. :neener:

UnknownSailor
February 4, 2003, 10:11 PM
Or it's 6 word cousin:

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

:D

BerettaNut92
February 5, 2003, 01:04 AM
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance?

Well I was going to check this place out and she lived in the area, so why not? :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pretty Much My Worst Range Day To Date...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!