Trimmer Question on Pilots

PDA

FredMath
January 9, 2013, 05:39 PM
Im reloading British .303 and trimming the cases on a Lyman Hand Trimmer. I had to buy a #31 Pilot for the case mouth and found that it will not go into the mouth all the way. Only goes in half way after I have sized the cases. A #30 Pilot will fit easily but on occasion will stick in the mouth when I retract the cutter. Am I doing something wrong ? Appreciate the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trimmer Question on Pilots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
243winxb
January 9, 2013, 06:40 PM
The expander in the sizing die may be undersize, about .0015" under bullet diameter* is good. The # 31 can be turned down some if needed. Chuck it in a drill. Measure with a micrometer if you have one. The #30 may stick if the cutter head is dull or the feed rate is to high. A burr will form, holding the pilot in the case neck.

FredMath
January 10, 2013, 08:12 AM
Appreciate the help...only time I ever have trouble with my reloading is with the Brit. 303 shells.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trimmer Question on Pilots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!