shooting low

PDA

rk668ak
January 9, 2013, 07:30 PM
Why is it that every new semi-auto pistol that I get shoots low until it is broke in?

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting low" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
January 9, 2013, 07:58 PM
Anticipation of the trigger releasing, until you get familiar with the sear release point

Bovice
January 9, 2013, 08:59 PM
The break-in period actually applies more to the shooter than the gun. If you're completely unfamiliar with it, POA/POI aren't going to coincide until you get used to it.

1911 guy
January 10, 2013, 05:39 AM
I'm willing to put money on 9mmepiphany. I've seen it happen a lot at the range. Folks get a new pistol or revolver and flinch. I'll see their hands drop several inches and they'll SWEAR (sometimes at me, rather than to me) that they didn't flinch. When you get the feel of the pistol, the flinch goes away.

ku4hx
January 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Anticipation of the trigger releasing, until you get familiar with the sear release point
This .....

9mmepiphany
January 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
Take this for what it's worth...which is exactly what you paid for it :rolleyes:

This can be cured either physically or emotionally...really ;)

The reason you are anticipating the shot is because you are impatient. You want it to go off when you see the sights aligned on the target...before they can drift off again. The problem is that you don't have the trigger control to do that, either before they drift off or without mashing the trigger into the frame with 4+ pounds. It is like trying to align a fat blade screw drive with the head of the screw by ramming the driver at it from 2 feet away.

Until you learn the trigger, the easiest thing to do is just to stay in the process of seeing the sights align and pressing the trigger...removing desire and ego from the act off placing the shot in the center of the target will allow the gun to fire accurately

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting low" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!