.45 ACP decision...

PDA

Warners
January 10, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'm in a bit of a quandry now. I need a .45 ACP pistol. I want one that I can take to the range and shoot some rounds through, but I ALSO want one that could be a CCW in the event that Illinois EVER makes that an option. As an NRA certified trainer, there are some healthy discount available, one of them being the Kahr P45. I really like this gun - I like that the grip holds all of my fingers - no dangling pinky. Now I hear that Ruger recently released the SR45, which would undoubtedly be a better (more comfortable) range gun. I only have the budget for ONE of them. I have other range guns, so I'm leaning towards the Kahr.....but I'm still not sure. Would it be feasible to CCW the SR45 (and yeah, I really don't want to wait for the SR45C). I also considered the Glock 36, which seems to fit my hand well, also......

What say you guys?

Warner

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 ACP decision..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdauben
January 10, 2013, 11:54 AM
Its almost a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, a (semi)compact versus a full size auto. For a purely range or OC gun, I would think either the Ruger SR45 or the Kahr TP45 would be my choice. If you want to throw CCW into the mix, the Kahr P45 would definetly be my pick of your original two. Certainly, people can and do CCW full size autos like the SR45, but a more compact gun gives you more options and is generally more comfortable to carry.

As far as the Glock 36, I have one and love it. Its my current "go-to" CCW pistol. I do find that it recoils noticably more than my full size Glock 21 and that my little finger tends to fall off the end of the grip if Im not careful though (I do have somewhat large hands, though, so YMMV).

Warners
January 10, 2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah....shame on me for asking a question that I already knew the answer to.....I know it's an apples to oranges comparison...just looking for some "buddy" advice and maybe someone can bring something up that I hadn't thought about.....thanks for the reply.

Warner

David E
January 10, 2013, 12:14 PM
SR45 isn't even out yet. I have, but don't care for, the G-36

I'd get a Smith & Wesson M&P in .45. It's proven, it's available and can be had in 3 variations, not counting the grip options.

IL won't get concealed carry, so ccw use is moot.

Warners
January 10, 2013, 12:26 PM

I'd get a Smith & Wesson M&P in .45. It's proven, it's available and can be had in 3 variations, not counting the grip options.

I see SR45's for sale on online auction sites right now. I do believe they are out now.

I'll take a look at the Smith M&P.

As far as IL getting CC, we'll see. Right now there is a federal circuit court that gave the state a deadline for implementing some type of CC. I know Madigan is requesting the full panel of judges consider it again, but there's no guarantee that they will hear it based on her request. Even if they DO, and even if they see it her way, it will then get appealed to the US Supreme Court, which has been pretty clear on the 2nd amendment in all recent cases. So in other words, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply,

Warner

David E
January 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
I see SR45's for sale on online auction sites right now. I do believe they are out now.

Thanks for the reply,

Warner

Let me rephrase: They're not PROVEN yet.

SouthernYankee
January 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
I have to say that I've never really liked the Kahr's and for varying reasons. I got to ask have you looked at any of the SIG's? The P220 has long been a favorite of mine and Kimber makes some really guns too. Good luck on your states CCW passage, I hope it pans out.

bannockburn
January 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Warners

Have you considered something in a Commander sized gun? With all steel construction it would be great for the range and still be a bit more compact than a full size M1911 for concealed carry.

Teachu2
January 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
Another to consider is the Glock 30.

XD 45acp
January 10, 2013, 02:51 PM
I have the XDs and coming from a j-frame, I found it nice to carry, 45acp round, accurate, and didnt try to jump out of my hand. I love it.

SwampWolf
January 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
I'd get what I've got: a SIG Model 220 Carry. It's single-stack magazine makes it a relatively slim pistol to carry concealed. Mine has proven to be very reliable and accurate. I prefer the traditional da action, with a decocker and no safety. If you like this configuration and also prefer a hammer (as opposed to striker-fired ignition), the Model 220 deserves a hard look.

Warners
January 10, 2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys......keep them coming.

Warner

Warners
January 10, 2013, 04:50 PM
Another to consider is the Glock 30.
I'm not a big Glock fan. I shoot them well, but I just don't LIKE them...can't put a finger on it really. Maybe because they all look the same and are a little blocky? Anyway, I handled a Glock 30, expecting to like it. I didn't. I also handled a Glock 36 expecting to NOT like it, but I DID. It fit my hand really well and seemed so much more pointable than the other Glocks that I've shot.

Warner

Warners
January 10, 2013, 04:52 PM
Let me rephrase: They're not PROVEN yet.
That's a fair point......

Warner

BigJimP
January 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
I realize its old school....but a well made 1911....can be a spectacular gun...if its well made and well tuned...especially from companies like Wilson Combat or Ed Brown....

I will tell you hands down, some of the best guns in my safe are my 1911's made by Wilson Combat...

My carry gun, a Wilson CQB 5", with black armor tuff finish on it...in .45 acp
has been a heck of a gun ....this one is about 10 yrs old now, and I have at least 20,000 rds thru it now...and not a thing wrong with it.
The CQB is the bottom gun in the photo.

Some of my 1911's - some are 9mm and some are .45 acp...but they've all been pretty nice guns !

ku4hx
January 10, 2013, 07:07 PM
+1 I have a 30SF and wife and I both like it for a variety of reasons.

klw1911
January 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
I have carried a glock 36,30,kimber ultra carry all 45's but my current carry is a kahr pm 45 have carried it for 4 years or more it is thin,lightweight,good trigger pull very comfortable to carry.I also carry a extra 7 rnd. mag,in my opinion that conseal carry is a combination of dependability,comfort and your ability to hit what your shooting at.Just my 2cents worth.

Bboomer
January 10, 2013, 10:19 PM
I'm actually a revolver (steel) man myself but.... I bought a Glock 36 last summer. Although I haven't shot it much, I really like the feel of it. Its now my main goto for carry.

Good Luck...

bergmen
January 10, 2013, 10:37 PM
As far as the Glock 36, I have one and love it. Its my current "go-to" CCW pistol. I do find that it recoils noticably more than my full size Glock 21 and that my little finger tends to fall off the end of the grip if Im not careful though (I do have somewhat large hands, though, so YMMV).

My favorite carry pistol is also the G36. I had the same problem with my pinky not having a good home and sometimes getting pinched between the mag floor plate and the grip frame.

As a result, I installed Pearce +0 floor plates on all my magazines. Problem solved and the gun feels like it was custom made for my hand:

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u580/Bergmen/Firearms%20and%20Shooting/Handguns/Glock36-03_zpsd8ebf0bf.jpg

It makes almost no difference to the length of the magazines:

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u580/Bergmen/Firearms%20and%20Shooting/Handguns/Glock36FloorplateComparo-01_zps93752f4c.jpg

Dan

Fremmer
January 10, 2013, 11:20 PM
Buds has the sig 220 Sao for $679, check it out!

CPshooter
January 10, 2013, 11:29 PM
I would say lightweight (aluminum framed) 1911 or HK45c if it had to be only one pistol and it had to be a .45.

mdauben
January 11, 2013, 02:52 PM
As a result, I installed Pearce +0 floor plates on all my magazines. Problem solved and the gun feels like it was custom made for my hand:
Thanks for posting that side-by-side photo! I hadn't really considered the Pearce because I thought it would interfere too much with concealment, but that looks like it would really be worthwhile.

jp0319
January 11, 2013, 03:30 PM

I agree the M&P 45c is perfect it's mid size, fits all my fingers holds 8-14 rounds depending on mag used can be fired extensively at the range without worry and carries well. Plus should be cheaper than a Kahr

Warners
January 11, 2013, 03:59 PM
I agree the M&P 45c is perfect it's mid size, fits all my fingers holds 8-14 rounds depending on mag used can be fired extensively at the range without worry and carries well. Plus should be cheaper than a Kahr
The M&P may have a lower street price than the Kahr, but the with NRA trainer discount, i can get a Kahr P45 for $420 plus $30 shipping and my FFL transfer fees. This is the direction I'm leaning, not in small part due to the discount. I will likely opt to spend an additional $65 for the night sights though. $540 for a P45 with night sights by the time I get it into my safe. Not bad....

Warner

WinThePennant
January 11, 2013, 08:39 PM
Glock 30.

All the way...

Fremmer
January 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
That sig 220 carry with the Sao trigger, melt treatment and night sights rocks!

TheReeves
January 12, 2013, 12:05 AM
XDs with Pearce extensions, surprisingly pleasant to shoot at the range and perfectly suited for carry.

Sig C3 or RCS?

Phil W
January 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
I bought a Sig P220 Equinox...it was love at first site. I've had a P220 before but this was much more better to carry. It has a shortened barrel and I don't believe there are 2 alike. It loves to shoot. Was a bit pricey though.

strange246
January 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
I'll throw another vote for a 1911...It doesnt have to be Kimber etc either to be accurate and reliable, I have 3 Norinco's that I can, have and will again trust my life to...

Vern Humphrey
January 13, 2013, 06:23 PM
Would it be feasible to CCW the SR45
I've carried a full-size M1911 for more years than I care to remember. For the last 15-20 years, it's been a Kimber Custom Classic -- their basic M1911 at the time I bought it.

Yes, you can carry the SR45, but my experience is that the M1911 is the best carry gun you can get (and Ruger makes a superb M1911) because it's so flat and easy to conceal.

PTMCCAIN
January 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
How about one that has a 15+1 capacity?

Picked up a FN FNX .45ACP Tactical model, very, very nice. Here is the video I made showing what it comes with and how it comes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arnpbCF72C4

Jaymo
January 13, 2013, 06:56 PM
The Ruger SR series is a flat, thin design that conceals very well.

Thompsoncustom
January 13, 2013, 07:19 PM
I vote for the XDS thin, crazy accurate, and strong. Has no problems eaten .45 super 1300fps 185gr and 1100fps 230gr I have shot both of them through the XDS and it's not something you would want to shoot all day long but great for carry tho standard 230gr ammo is pleasant to shoot all day and with the grip extension it fells like a full sized gun.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/danielthompson8588/sighst_zpsaa4f7546.jpg
Left to right:Glock 36, XDS, Kahr p45

Buckeyeguy525
January 13, 2013, 07:38 PM
I had a Kahr CW45 for a minute. I personally was not impressed. I loved the cm9 I had for a while and figured the 45 would fall right in line but it didnt. It ejected nearly every round directly back into my face, and it was not nearly as small as I thought it would be, although definitely light enough for concealed carry. I've heard a lot of other people have the same problem with the rounds ejecting into their face. Kahr seems to have some quality control issues. the Glock 36 is about the same size as a g19, which imo is too big to carry every day, but that's just me.

My opinion on the 1911....it's a hundred year old design and it shows. I wanted a 1911 since I was a kid, and I finally purchased my first one last year after having a long love affair with Glock and more recently the XDm. With the exception of a sweet trigger, the 1911 brings nothing to the table that the polymer pistols mentioned dont bring. The polymer pistols bring something that the 1911 does not, and thats RELIABILITY. If you do some research into the modern 1911's, especially ones with a barrel shorter than 4", you will find that they are inherently unreliable. I'm sure many here will disagree with me, but that's just been my research and experience. But I'm not talking about taking a clean gun to the range kind of reliable. Defensive situations do not always take place in a clean environment. It's likely that you may be involved in a scuffle and your gun end up in a mud puddle or a pile of sand. No 1911 will ever compare to a glock for that kind of reliability. Those 1911's that are able to withstand that are the exception, not the rule. Plus, they are a pain in the butt to take down and put back together as compared to glock, and considering how often you have to clean them thats something to think about.

Ala Tom
January 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
I liked the Glock 30SF after renting one and shootinng 50 rnds of Fed 230 RN at 30 ft. But now I would consider the Ruger SR45 because I have and like the Ruger SR40C or the new Ruger SR1911CMD. The 30SF is slightly smaller than the 36. (Tenth of an inch.) I found the 30 easy to hold and fire. It felt like my 357 Sig. The Glock 30 was close to my Ruger SR40C in length and shorter in height which would make it easier to get in and out of an IWB holster. I would consider the safety on the Rugers an advantage.

auberg
January 13, 2013, 08:53 PM
I've got several smaller 1911's. Both the Colt Defender and a Kimber Ultra Crry 2, that I recently bought from my brother. I have to admit I've been a colt guy for most of my life, but this Kimber is as good as the defender, and I trust the defender completely. Neither cost me more than $700. Although they both were used when I got them.

I also have sig 220 and Taurus pt145, that are good shooters, but not as good as the Colt or Kimber.

Good Luck

easyg
January 14, 2013, 12:59 AM
I recommend the XD 45

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/IMG_0006.jpg

arizona98tj
January 14, 2013, 02:39 AM
...just looking for some "buddy" advice and maybe someone can bring something up that I hadn't thought about.....thanks for the reply.

You indicated the pistol should be able to function as a range gun and also for CCW. Have you considered the Springfield XD45 compact (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/xd45/xd45-1.htm)? 4" barrel and the option to use two different sized magazines....the shorter for CCW and the full sized for range use. And if you like the finger extension, that will fit on the short magazine too. I carried mine for about a year until I switched over to a 9mm for economic reasons.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/xd45/xd45-10.jpg

Warners
January 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
You know....after giving this some thought, I question how much I'd actually SHOOT one of the compact 45's. I've been doing some checking around, and I'm starting to lean towards a full size 1911, which I WOULD shoot frequently, and could CCW if I wanted to (and if IL ever joins the rest of the semi-free country). I am leaning HEAVILY towards the Desert Eagle 1911. I've read LOTS of favorable reviews of this gun, and I'm pretty familiar with (and LIKE) the 1911 platform.

Warner

g_one
January 14, 2013, 01:41 PM
This is one of those suggestions that I'll go ahead and say doesn't work for everybody - but it works for a friend of mine and I've worn his rig once, and it worked for me when I did. A commander 1911 (full-size frame 1911 with 4.25" slide) with a bobbed grip can truly disappear in the right IWB holster. Depending on how big you are (I've got some extra padding for sure) and depending on how high your IWB rides/angle of cant, you can even get a 5" in there if you don't mind being reminded it's there every now and then.

Getting a 1911 bobbed (I'm speaking not from experience but only from speaking with gunsmiths and reading others' posts) is a good bit cheaper than I was expecting, and fairly easy for any competent gunsmith to do. Plus IMHO it just looks sharp, and fits in the hand really well.

David E
January 14, 2013, 05:24 PM
If you go the 1911 route, are you prepared to dedicate to the cocked and locked system?

Warners
January 14, 2013, 05:27 PM
Yes, if we actually get CCW here, and if I choose to carry a 45. I have at least one other option as far as a carry gun. CZ82. Not in the same league in terms of power, but better than a sharp stick and I shoot it well. :)

Warner

tomwalshco
January 14, 2013, 10:29 PM
G36 great for carry and range. That XD - XDs looks mighty interesting. Have an XD full size 45 and love it.

browningguy
January 14, 2013, 11:38 PM
If you go the 1911 route, are you prepared to dedicate to the cocked and locked system?

Well of course, that's the way JMB himself set it out. As it is written so shall it be.

I've only recently gotten back in to a 1911 platform, a S&W 1911 SC, bobtail commander size gun, very light scandium frame, tritium night sights, and I've been very happy with how it shoots. I also don't think you can go wrong with the XD series, I have one XD Tactical and two XDM's in 4.5 and 5.25" (all in 9mm though) and they are very decent shooting pistols.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Smith1911SC.jpg

For a lightweight commander size gun recoil is very easily controlled, the grip pattern, besides being cool, actually seems to work.

foghornl
January 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
I have 2 Springfield Armory 1911's

4" Champion

5" GI-45

While the Champion has better sights, the GI-45 has that certain 'something' feel to it.

David E
January 15, 2013, 11:46 AM
While the Champion has better sights, the GI-45 has that certain 'something' feel to it.

Mainly that "something" needs to be improved....

mbruce
January 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
It's a process but should be mentioned on this thread. Glock 21 full-size with a Bowie Tactical or Cold Bore Customs Grip reduction and "Cut-Down" to accept the little mags as well as full-size mags. You get a full-size glock that accepts multiple mags with the backstrap being removed, front fingers being removed, and the grip itself cut down -- win win situation. Have a blast at the range and can blast as a CCW in the unfortunate event you may ever need it.

OR.....if .45acp is a want rather than a forced need....

9mm with a 124gr USA made HP is a game stopper. And at the range they are more pleasant and cheaper to shoot. A Kahr PM-9 shoots like a dream. accurate enough for the range, recoil is extremely pleasant, super well made, and tiny. Although mine is finicky with ammo. My keltec PF-9 eats anything...but it kicks like a donkey and don't recommend it to anyone who wants a range blend.

OR....

Glock 22 (.40 cal) full size LEO turn in is awesome -- have the grip cut-down to accept peewee mags, buy a cheaper lone wolf 9mm barrel and shoot 9mm out of it at the range and have the .40cal for SD.

I'm all about the polymer pistols that have 1 frame/slide and can shoot multi-calibers.

Out of my Glocks I can shoot a .45acp, .357 Sig, 10mm, .40, 9mm, .22, and guess u can say the .50GI, and .45Super too but i dont have it. And probably some other calibers that aren't mentioned.

If u were my bff I would tell you get a .40cal that has a 9mm conversion barrel... depending on your patience, time, money -- I'd say either the Glock full-size with a grip cut down, compact glock, or sub-compact glock, or a Kahr PM-9.

2 Calibers -- 1 gun. That's my motto. I'm not a bullseye hole puncher so I don't care if I lose a tiny bit of accuracy out of a drop in conversion barrel... I just like the sound of Ting when i shoot steel.

A month ago it would be a no brainer to get the Glock .40 and the 9mm conversion barrel, at any size you wanted whether it be full-size or compact or sub compact (they make conversion barrels for all sizes) b\c there were ample of 9mm magazines.

Now not so much -- so maybe in today's times if you dont want to wait for restocking and etc I'd go with the Kahr PM-9. I love taking it to the range.

This is controversal so don't go off on this post -- but I do not recommend a 1911 for SD. That's my opinion and it's ok to disagree and think something else.

XDM are phenominal but the beavertail safety in a SD situation where you may not can have a full-grip is just one extra thing i dont want to worry about. Glocks are point and shoot. They may be inferior to the XDM build but again i'm not a bullseye shooter. I like to have fun more so than be cool with a .000012" groups at 1,000 yards.

p.s. -- If you get a glock .45acp in a non generation 4 get the SF unless u are sending it off for a grip reduction then it doesnt matter. Gen4 and SF is same size unless u change it up. And I don't drink the Glock cool-aid -- it's just it's a good value in the Gen3...espeically a LEO turned in. If you pay more for a firearm it's because you want to not b\c you have to. When people are instructed on how to grip a Glock high then their accuracy greatly improves. Get up high on that gun if you get the glock!

Don't be scared of a used HK or Sig. if you have the cash and dont mine paying it they are phenominal guns... anyone who says differently is letting opinions get in the way of facts. I buy Glocks b\c i dont want to pay more.

Don't be scared of the Glock 34/35 for CCW!

Also we need to face it... Illinois will never be a CCW state. Sorry -- republicans will never out number the democrats. Is what it is... so keep that in mind. Don't tie up abunch of cash in a CCW gun that you'll never get to legally carry.

Warners
January 15, 2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate all of the input and opinions.

What I think will end up happening here is that I'll buy the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911, AND also order a Ruger SR9C (since I don't currently own a 9x19 chambered pistol). I will likely sell my old Colt Sistema (Argentine DGFM-FMAP) pistol and an old Ortgies .25 to fund the purchase of the Ruger.

Then I will essentially have 3 CCW options with varying pros and cons, all 3 of which will also be pleasant range guns:

CZ82 - 12 rounds of 9x18 Makarov

Ruger SR9C

DE1911

That's my plan right now....

Warner

mbruce
January 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
If you don't own a 9mm then scrap the .45acp and get you a 9mm. Everyone needs a 9mm. My advice is to get a .40cal that has a 9mm conversion. You get 2 of the most popular cartridges on this planet. More economical to shoot. or just go with a 9mm alone since mags seem to be an issue.

I won't harp on it anymore -- just trying to give u some alternate input.

Warners
January 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
K it's your decision totally... but i've been on the short end of the stick where I bought a Glock 10mm as my first handgun for a range gun and CCW gun... although its a great firearm I probably should have gotten something else.

If you don't own a 9mm then scrap the .45acp and get you a 9mm. Everyone needs a 9mm. My advice is to get a .40cal that has a 9mm conversion. You get 2 of the most popular cartridges on this planet. More economical to shoot. or just go with a 9mm alone since mags seem to be an issue.

Don't get hung up on CCW for IL... it'll never happen. And I'm not a defense expert but I would think you need/want 1 CCW gun and practice with it and stick with it b\c when it goes down you want EXACT muscle memory. You don't want different trigger pulls, different styles, different grips, different sights. I'm such a firm beleiver in that that I only buy 1 brand of polymer pistols so that going from gun to gun is like 2nd nature.

I won't harp on it anymore -- just trying to give u some alternate input.
I already reload 9x18, 9x19, .38 Special, and .45 ACP. I never cared for .40 one bit, personally, nor do I need to buy another set of dies, etc.

When it comes to reloading, the .45 is not much more expensive than the 9mm, actually ($94 per thousand bullets in 9mm, vs $135 per thousand for .45 ACP with the bullets that I use - about 4 cents per shot more for .45 - and the powder charge is close enough not to matter 4.5gr vs 5.2 gr.) Both types of brass are commonly available as range pickups for me, so ammo cost isn't much of a factor for me.

Who KNOWS if IL will ever get CCW? A Federal circuit court has said that we WILL, but that's pending review. That's the latest info we have, though. I'm not basing my decision on that happening or not, though. Either the CZ82 or the Ruger SR9C (that I plan on getting) would make acceptable CCW guns in the event that we do get it.

Warner

Hagen442
January 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
45 ACP Opinions Based On One Pistol for CCW and Target Shooting
Single Stack For Sure -CCW
Since you Shoot , You know Barrel Length and Recoil Go Hand And Hand,
Try Out Some Stuff before you Buy Anything

My Choice Would Be a Light Weight Dancing Pony With Some Work Done
(Buy A Knowledgeable 1911 Smith That Understands The Browning Design) to Help With Your Recoil Concerns.

My Old 2 Cents
Hope It Helps

Col. Plink
January 15, 2013, 01:57 PM
Love my S&W 4566; big & beautiful.

Had XD 5" & XDM 4.5", didn't like how much balance point changes as mag goes from full to empty...

tc54
January 21, 2013, 11:04 AM
about a week ago i was asking myself the same question - what would be a good ccw .45 acp. i bought a glock 36, and am well satisfied. i looked at the xds as well, but went with the glock instead. ymmv.

Nasty
January 21, 2013, 12:22 PM
Bersa 45UC...the newer version is the UCPro. Compact, durable, have carried and shot mine for years with never a single issue. Safe *and* ambidextrous.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa458/raynewton/Photobucket/BersaUC45.jpg.

TMann
January 21, 2013, 12:35 PM
I live on the West Coast, so I don't have a good sense of how likely it is that you'll be allowed to carry concealed, but it doesn't sound like it's an IMMINENT decision at this point.

Given the above, I'd lean more towards a gun that is large enough to be enjoyable to shoot, and small enough to carry if needed, compared to a gun that is small enough to be easy to carry, but less enjoyable to shoot.

It looks like you'd found the best solution to your dilemma, one for carry AND one for the range.

Good luck with your new guns!

TMann

Warners
January 21, 2013, 12:46 PM
I live on the West Coast, so I don't have a good sense of how likely it is that you'll be allowed to carry concealed, but it doesn't sound like it's an IMMINENT decision at this point.

Given the above, I'd lean more towards a gun that is large enough to be enjoyable to shoot, and small enough to carry if needed, compared to a gun that is small enough to be easy to carry, but less enjoyable to shoot.

It looks like you'd found the best solution to your dilemma, one for carry AND one for the range.

Good luck with your new guns!

TMann
Yep, that's EXACTLY what I did. I ordered the SR9C and the DE1911G on Friday. Now it's just a matter of waiting! And with these crazy prices, I wouldn't be surprised to see my AK and all the ammo that I have for it going up on Gunbroker sometime soon. It's a fun toy, no doubt about it, but I don't really get to shoot it much and other than knowing it's in the safe, doubt that I'd miss it much.

Warner

Armybrat
January 22, 2013, 06:07 PM
Another vote for the Kahr CW45...

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/Guns061.jpg

Fremmer
January 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
You're crazy to sell that colt!

dbublitz
January 22, 2013, 09:30 PM
Get yourself a P-90 Ruger and feed it what you want. Generations from now they will still be trying to figure out how to wear that thing out.

Bullz
February 1, 2013, 03:04 PM
I guess it doesn't matter now... but...

I have a P45 and it is tough to beat. Very comfortable at the range, accurate, simple, effective. It's also very light and compact for CCW. The only downside to the platform, IMO, is the capacity - 6+1. ...But, it rocks. The more I use it, the better it gets too.

Anyway... just throwing it out there. If you want a more detailed opinion about the platform, PM me.

BlindJustice
February 1, 2013, 03:58 PM
S&W M&P 45C seems in the budget for the OP.

I have fired the S&W M&P 45C - although lighter than my
full size 1911 the recoil wasn't that different. Nice grip
shape on the M&P, and I liked the trigger, other controls
as well as the sights more than Glocks I've also tried.

R-

rskent
February 2, 2013, 06:54 AM
I may have mentioned before. A Glock 36 in a super tuck is a very hard combination to beat.
Accurate, reliable, simple as dirt, easy to take care of, easy to carry. Works for me.

meanmrmustard
February 2, 2013, 07:04 AM

This.

The M&P 45, IMO, is one of if not the finest poly Fullsize auto 45 going.

Deer_Freak
February 2, 2013, 07:42 AM
If you own a pocket pistol I would look at the full size pistol. The way I look at it is if I have to carry the pistol in a holster on my belt I don't want a compact pistol. You have to dress the same way for either pistol. I have several pocket pistols for clothing that won't conceal a holster on my belt. It is just as easy for me to carry an XD with a 5.5" barrel as my Ruger P95. I am a big wide shouldered fellow, 6' 4", 250 LB. My size might make it easier to carry a large pistol. When my wife 5' 3" tall tries to carry a full size pistol the stock is nearly in her arm pit. She only tried it with my paddle holster.

greenlion
February 2, 2013, 09:44 AM
Last year, I finally splurged and got a gold membership to the local range, granting me free gun rentals. I tried many of the majors brand's side by side. There was no Ruger 45 at the time, but considering the characteristics of their respective 9mm guns I would vote Ruger pretty far down on my list. I preferred the XD, S&W, KAHR and GLOCK guns over the Ruger. The only thing I felt the Ruger was superior in was price.

On a side note, the only GLOCK I do not like is the 36. Compared to the GLOCK 30sf, the 36 has much sharper felt recoil. I think it is because of the skinny width of the grip. The 30sf spreads the recoil out over more of your palm, and the recoil feels much lower. (please, no pedantic physics lectures, I said FELT recoil) The new 30s might be a nice compromise since it will not have a big boxy slide. May take forever to get one though....

Armedleprechaun
February 2, 2013, 07:07 PM
Glock 30sf, XDM 45 compact or a S&W M&P 45 compact are good options. I have a Glock 30sf that I love. Handle them and see what fits best. :)

YZ
February 4, 2013, 02:20 PM
one of them being the Kahr P45. I really like this gun - I like that the grip holds all of my fingers - no dangling pinky. ...I also considered the Glock 36, which seems to fit my hand well, also......

What say you guys?

Warner

The Kahr P45 is thinner than any .45 Glock. Otherwise a toss-up. We have too many choices, life gets complicated... Seriously, just go with your instinct. Which one is more fun to hold, to look at, to field strip and clean. Generally a Glock will hold its resale value better than a Kahr. That has little to do with the quality of the pistol. A Kahr is generally a civilian defensive firearm, whereas a Glock is police, commando, badass, movies, G, etc. A Kahr may require a break-in, while all Glocks are out-of-the box ready. My P45 on the other hand has never once misfired since it was bought new.

P.S. Different trigger systems, of course. The Kahr requires a longer more deliberate pull, which I think is part of its personal defense personality.

bobtournat
February 4, 2013, 09:09 PM
Looking for a good very reliable 45 acp that is good for concial carry?...look no futher then the (xds springfield 45 acp...amazing weapon in a small,light package:)

Backpacker33
February 4, 2013, 11:27 PM
If you like and are proficient with the 1911 models, I suggest the Springfield Compact Operator. Light weight for easy carry, even comes with a nice holster. At thirty feet offhand we were drilling 1" groups with it. The checkering isn't so aggressive it wears the shooter's hand, and they aren't expensive, IF they are still available in this madhouse and war profiteering market.
If you're not yet proficient, find a person who can teach to the manual of arms. it isn't that hard.

Trent
February 5, 2013, 10:05 PM
You got a local range that does rentals?

That could answer a lot of your questions on what will fit you the best.

Warners
February 5, 2013, 11:38 PM
You're crazy to sell that colt!
Want to buy it? I'm not looking to get rich on it. :)

Warner

Warners
March 2, 2013, 08:41 PM
Well, as luck woudl have it, my FFL got both guns a day apart from each other. To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement. I stripped both guns down and cleaned and lubed them. Man, that Desert Eagle was really oily and dirty. I pulled the extractor and firing pin and cleaned those channels out as well. Also pulled apart the striker assembly on the Ruger SR9c as I've heard that some have shipped with grease in there that caused light primer strikes on some pistols. Hopefully I can make it to the range in the next week. I came back to show you all what I got, and also to thank you all for your advise and opinions.

Warner

Here are the new babies:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/warners_photos/RugerSR9C.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/warners_photos/DE1911G.jpg

hawgrider
March 2, 2013, 09:18 PM
You will love that SR9c - its a great shooter. DE 1911 looks good. Bet you are a happy camper.

Warners
March 2, 2013, 09:34 PM
You will love that SR9c - its a great shooter. DE 1911 looks good. Bet you are a happy camper.
Yes, I am. It was quite a surprise because I got both guns direct from the manufacturer through my NRA trainer discount program. The last response I got from Kahr (who own Magnum Research now), which was about 2 weeks ago, was that the backlog on the DE1911G was about 90 days, so I certainly didn't expect it so soon. Ditto for the Ruger.....I couldn't even get a reply from them, then all of a sudden it shows up at my FFL. Go figure.....but I'm NOT complaining!

Warner

PS - Both guns have nice triggers, but the trigger on that DE1911G is AMAZING.

Warners
August 15, 2014, 12:54 PM
Well, as typically happens with us "Gun Guys", here's how the evolution of this thread goes....

1 - Illinois DID get Concealed Carry. (and I became a certified instructor)

2 - I have been carrying the SR9C that was mentioned earlier

3 - And yesterday, I DID order a Kahr P45 with Meprolight night sights

The Ruger carries fine, but here's my justification (we can always come up with SOMETHING, right?) for buying the Kahr.

1 -And most importantly, I WANTED one. Haha.

2 - It's smaller and lighter than the Ruger for CCW

3 - It's a 45, not a 9. Read into that whatever you want to.

4 - Here in Illinois, we DID get concealed carry passed, but because the law was rammed through haphazardly at the final possible moment, we got a fairly convoluted law, with some VERY fuzzy verbiage. I am certain that we won't know how some of the law is interpreted until there's some case law behind it. So, not being independently wealthy or having time to mess around in court while my rights are infringed upon, I'm choosing to err on the side of caution. I don't generally USE public transportation, so that grey area is not a primary concern of mine. I DO every so often drive into the city of Chicago, where I predict the most blatant misinterpretations of the law are going to occur. The two most concerning to me are magazine capacity, and the legality of lasers in the city of Chicago. I feel certain that the preemption language in the Illinois CCW law put an end to those two things. The arresting officer may disagree. In other words, I may beat the rap, but not the ride. And since I'm not wealthy enough to challenge it, I'll feel better carrying a pistol with a capacity of 7 rounds, without a laser on it (I did order it with the night sights, though).

Pictures will follow once I have the pistol in my hot little hands. I'll do a size comparison between it and the SR9C as well....maybe with loaded weights shown, as well.

Warner

RustyShackelford
August 15, 2014, 06:13 PM
Id suggest these models for a CCW/carry size .45acp;
The Glock 30S .45acp or 36(sub compact) could do well. The S-A XDs 4.0" barrel model. The S&W Military and Police Compact .45acp is good. You can get it with or without a ambi safety, FDE brown or black. The HK45 Compact LEM(law enforcement modification) is great if you have the budget & like HKs.
The SIG Sauer P220R DAK or the Carry DAK .45acp version are worth a look. The P250 pistol is well made & you can convert it with different frames/barrels.

NOTE; Springfield-Armory had a special with free pistol magazines and a range bag with each purchase. ;)
The Para-USA LDA format in .45acp might be worth checking too. The models have a lifetime warranty & I think the company still offers a $100.00 rebate until 10/31/2014 but check the Para-USA website. Para LDA's are like 1911 pistols with a DA only trigger. ;)

Rusty
www.gunsamerica.com www.gunsinternational.com www.slickguns.com

TomJ
August 15, 2014, 09:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory and own several, but stumbled onto the 30s. It shoots and conceals well and is comfortable when I'm carrying it all day. Good capacity and as with all Glocks, is reliable. My hands are small to mid size, and I'm not comfortable with larger grips. These grips are larger than my SA's, but are comfortable.

orionengnr
August 15, 2014, 09:37 PM
So, when the OP posted back in January, talking about the Ruger and the Kahr, the answer is "get a Glock".
seven or eight months later, he posts back, saying he bought the Kahr, and the first two replies are "get a Glock".

I guess some people just can't help themselves, but it sure gets old...

Bullz
August 16, 2014, 09:33 AM
It's glock simple with 1911 ergonomics, and it's lighter and easier to carry than either of the two. It's also surprisingly accurate. You should be able to shoot the full mag within 1 inch at 7 yards once you learn the trigger. It'll shoot as accurately as you can.

I carry mine appendix IWB and a t-shirt is all the cover garment that is necessary. Regardless of how you carry or your primary holster choice, do yourself a favor and order a Raven Concealment Vanguard "holster." It's about $20 (which seems expensive for what it is) and will allow the pistol to safely fill roles that probably had not previously occurred to you.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll share what I've learned over the years about carrying a Kahr.

RussellC
August 21, 2014, 03:05 PM
I chose Glock 30S. Bottom of the 30 SF, so it holds 10+1 (or 13+1 with the 21 clip and spacer) and the thinner slide of the 36. Fits my hand like it was made for me.

Russellc

NGIB
August 21, 2014, 03:16 PM
I carried a smallish 1911 for a number of years and finally relented and switched to a Glock 30S. It's hot here in GA and every ounce of weight makes a difference...

mdauben
August 21, 2014, 06:45 PM
I chose Glock 30S. Bottom of the 30 SF, so it holds 10+1 (or 13+1 with the 21 clip and spacer) and the thinner slide of the 36. Fits my hand like it was made for me.

I love my G36 but if the 30S had been available when I bought it, I would probably have gone with the "S".

RussellC
August 22, 2014, 10:47 PM
I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory and own several, but stumbled onto the 30s. It shoots and conceals well and is comfortable when I'm carrying it all day. Good capacity and as with all Glocks, is reliable. My hands are small to mid size, and I'm not comfortable with larger grips. These grips are larger than my SA's, but are comfortable.
Yup, me too. 30S

Russellc

RussellC
August 22, 2014, 10:51 PM
I love my G36 but if the 30S had been available when I bought it, I would probably have gone with the "S".
I was very lucky that the shop I was in had them all, so I could get a good feel of each. The entire
'30" series, the 36, all of them. While everyone will vary, I bought the 30S on the spot because for me, it fit "just right"...someone else may not feel that way, and I would love them all. But I'm a Glock guy.

Russellc

RussellC
August 22, 2014, 10:52 PM
I'm sure your 36 conceals a little better.

Teachu2
August 23, 2014, 01:33 AM
Sometimes I carry a 30SF, sometimes a 36. If I want a 30S, it only takes a minute....

RussellC
August 24, 2014, 11:21 PM
Too bad I cant just but a 36 "bottom" Oh well.

Russellc

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 ACP decision..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!