Record number of times someone has been shot, and survived?

PDA

wacki
January 10, 2013, 10:32 AM
This guy got shot in the FACE five times, walked out of the house and drove away makes me wonder....

Anyone know what's the record?

Georgia mom shoots home intruder in the face five times with a .38-caliber revolver

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-mom-shoots-home-intruder-face-article-1.1234400

FYI: Joshua Boston used this to defend high capacity magazines on the Pierce Morgan show.

If you enjoyed reading about "Record number of times someone has been shot, and survived?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnnyK
January 10, 2013, 11:45 AM
i heard of a guy shot 7 times by his girlfriend with a .45... he was found over a mile away and refused ems cause he was too pissed... they waited until he passed out due to blood loss and took him in.

MachIVshooter
January 10, 2013, 11:47 AM
Oh, there are cases where human beings have absorbed a staggering number of bullets and lived to tell the tale.

desidog
January 10, 2013, 11:55 AM
I don't know, but here is one absurdly lucky guy...

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020096770_shooting10m.html

Trent
January 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
16 times? Damn!

BLB68
January 10, 2013, 12:53 PM
The recent Ayoob article posted cites a guy taking 33 shots of 9mm to put down. IIRC, he didn't survive, though. Still, quite the number.

almostfree
January 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
This may not be the record, but MSG Roy Benavidez (MOH) was shot multiple times, stabbed, & wounded by shrapnel. These web pages about him state that he had 37 puncture wounds.

http://www.psywarrior.com/benavidez.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raul_Benavidez

silicosys4
January 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
This may not be the record, but MSG Roy Benavidez (MOH) was shot multiple times, stabbed, & wounded by shrapnel. These web pages about him state that he had 37 puncture wounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raul_Benavidez

Damn.

"He stepped on a land mine during a patrol and was evacuated to the United States"...

He fully recovers after doctors say he would never walk again...

Then goes on to earn the medal of honor for

"Benavidez heard the radio appeal for help and boarded a helicopter to respond. Armed only with a knife, he jumped from the helicopter carrying a medical bag and rushed to join the trapped team"

"because of his gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men." He was believed dead after finally being evacuated and was being zipped up in a body bag when he mustered the last of his strength and spit in the face of a medic, thereby alerting nearby medical personnel that he was still alive."

"Nearly dead from a total of 37 separate bayonet, bullet and shrapnel wounds received on multiple occasions over the course of the six hour fight between the 13 men and an enemy battalion,[2] Benavidez was evacuated once again to Brooke Army Medical Center, where he eventually recovered."

jmr40
January 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
You beat me to it.

Roy Benavidez's survival is remarkable. In addition to having a total of 37 wounds from gunshots, and shrapnel, he was stabbed twice with a bayonnet, hit I believe 6 times from 7.62X39 rifle rounds, one which punctured his lungs. His jaw was broken in hand to hand fighting and the first rescue helicopter was shot down and he survived that.

He arrived at a hospital 6 hours after initially being shot with his intestines outside his body and was pronounced dead. He was unable to speak with his broken jaw and his eyes were frozen shut from dried blood so he spit in the doctors face before he could zip up the body bag to let them know he was still alive.

mcdonl
January 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
I had a guy, shot himself under the chin with a .380 in bed. Fell to sleep (Thought he was dead) woke up and called 911...

The human body is strange in deed. Ironically he almost died while being intubated in the hospital.

mljdeckard
January 10, 2013, 02:10 PM
In Afghanistan my unit captured a guy who ran away from an air strike, caught him with a 30mm hole through his right shoulder and chest. There are no guarantees folks.

almostfree
January 10, 2013, 02:27 PM
Roy Benavidez's survival is remarkable.

I was fortunate enough to have met MSG Benavidez in my youth and he gave me an autographed copy of his citation. I can saw without a doubt that he was an extraordinary individual.

627PCFan
January 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
I guy from my next neighborhood was shot in his own house after a football game 9X. Im assuming it was something small, and maybe the extremities because VA did not file charges for atttempted murder which I find bizarre-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/man-shot-wounded-in-sterling-residence/2012/12/17/8fdc4b26-4878-11e2-820e-17eefac2f939_blog.html

holdencm9
January 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
This would be one of those tough records to prove and comparing apples to apples is difficult...

What counts as "getting shot?"

If you get winged 3 times and hit once, the news often reports it as shot 4 times.

Also, if you survive one shot from a shotgun, do all the different pellets count as a shot? Considering in buckshot they can be the same diameter as a 9mm.

Just food for though.

flyskater
January 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
When I used to work in the ER: guy walked thru the ER doors after being shot 9x with a .40. Heck... even signed his consent papers. He lived despite being in the hospital for over a month.

9mmepiphany
January 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
Also, if you survive one shot from a shotgun, do all the different pellets count as a shot? Considering in buckshot they can be the same diameter as a 9mm.

I'm sure the standard differs depending on locale.

The count is usually based on the medical exam and all they count of holes

LeonCarr
January 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
There was a case in Vietnam where a Vietnamese Soldier was hit with a mortar shell, it entered his body, did not explode, was successfully removed by a US Navy Doctor, and he survived. The operating table was surrounded by sandbags.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Joshua M.
January 10, 2013, 04:41 PM
FYI....while you are on the OP's link, go ahead and sign the ban on assault weapons :banghead:. It sure seemed like it took more time to scroll around the ads, than it did to read the story :cuss:

Skribs
January 10, 2013, 04:44 PM
50 Cent (rapper) took 9 shots in 2000. He was hit in extremities, chest, and head.

Shear_stress
January 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
In CJ CHivers' book "The Gun" he documented the case of an Afghani bodyguard who survived 23 close range gunshot wounds from multiple assailants with Kalashnikovs. That has got to be some kind of record. Chivers interviewed this hardy soul, who now lives in Canada.

Teachu2
January 10, 2013, 05:48 PM
Back in the early '80s, local PD shot a PCPer 26 times with 9mm, and then five officers managed to get control of him. He survived. He was about 5'8", 320lbs IIRC. One of the head shots hit him in the center of his forehead and deflected, traveling all the way around his skull under the skin, ending up against his ear 3/4 of the way around. Sure encouraged me to qualify with my .45acp 1911...

ChCx2744
January 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
That story of Master Sergeant Benavidez is wild. He was one tough and rugged dude.

barnbwt
January 10, 2013, 09:54 PM
Officer Alex Murphy indisputably holds the record.

TCB

sidheshooter
January 10, 2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know, but here is one absurdly lucky guy...

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020096770_shooting10m.html

Jeez, I think I went to college with one of those DOC guys who ventilated that dude. The guy was always a bit impulsive...

wacki
January 11, 2013, 12:42 AM
In CJ CHivers' book "The Gun" he documented the case of an Afghani bodyguard who survived 23 close range gunshot wounds from multiple assailants with Kalashnikovs. That has got to be some kind of record. Chivers interviewed this hardy soul, who now lives in Canada.

Just bought the book on kindle. Got any recommended search words?

BigRugerLover
January 11, 2013, 10:21 PM
"The current record is an armed robber in Chicago who absorbed thirty-three rounds of 9mm in the chest and head, one round of 12 gauge buckshot, and one 12 gauge solid shot before he went down; this total does not include rounds that missed."

U.S. Concealed Carry Association (2011-12-09). Concealed Carry Legal Defense: After You Defend Your Life, Be Prepared to Defend Your Freedom (Kindle Locations 353-355). Delta Media, LLC. Kindle Edition.

K.L. Jamison is the author of the article.

jmace57
January 11, 2013, 10:31 PM
Don't forget an oldie but a goody...Cole Younger - with 11 bullets.

(Oh, and how about Robocop!)

Trent
January 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
Whoa!

I thought I was paranoid with a spare mag next to the handgun. :)

wacki
January 11, 2013, 10:47 PM
and one 12 gauge solid shot before he went down

What is solid shot? Slug or bird shot?

wacki
January 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
Whoa!

I thought I was paranoid with a spare mag next to the handgun.

No kidding. Benavidez got hit 37 times and was still going. Gotta wonder how many bullets Benavidez + PCP would take....

Bayonets do way more damage than any bullet. Although I'm sure this is a statistical anomaly, it seems like you need an assault rifle (whatever that is) and three 30-round mags to take out certain folks of extraordinarily high constitution.

wacki
February 22, 2013, 08:52 PM
Just bought the book on kindle. Got any recommended search words?

bump

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Killian
February 22, 2013, 09:33 PM
Baby Face Nelson. Can't remember how many times he was shot, and he did die soon after. But not before he walked across a road and killed a couple of police officers. He was shot, I believe, several times with a .45 Thompson before he did so.

GCBurner
February 22, 2013, 10:00 PM
In 1916, Rasputin was shot, stabbed, beaten, poisoned with cyanide, and finally wrestled down to the frozen river and killed by being shoved through a hole in the ice to die from drowning.

Gun Geezer
February 22, 2013, 10:06 PM
Matt Dillon was shot like 195 times over a 20 year period. A little older at the end, but still kickin bad guy tail!

robowo
February 22, 2013, 10:46 PM
Marine Corps pilot and Medal of Honer recipient Pappy Boyington had 54 wounds from bullets and shrapnel after being shot down by the Japanese in WWII. After he parachuted into the water, he was strafed by 4 Japanese fighter planes. He had trouble getting into his life raft after finding dozens of holes in his life vest. After several hours he was picked up by a Japanese sub. One ear was almost completely shot off and part of his scalp was hanging over his face. He then spent 20 months in prisoner of war camps being beaten regularly until the end of the war. He survived even though he received minimal medical care for his wounds.

Killian
February 22, 2013, 10:59 PM
Pappy Boyington had 54 wounds from bullets and shrapnel after being shot down by the Japanese in WWII.

That's another reason why I'd never try to knock that battery off his shoulder. (Old reference)

bill3424
February 22, 2013, 11:32 PM
Some of these stories really shock the crap outta me.

Brockak47
February 22, 2013, 11:36 PM
Damn

Akita1
February 22, 2013, 11:38 PM
Off topic - great book! Found that part one of the most interesting. Have reread it a few times because there is so much info in it.

Akita1
February 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
That's another reason why I'd never try to knock that battery off his shoulder. (Old reference)
HA! Loved that show, if nothing else for the Corsairs...

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
February 23, 2013, 12:48 AM
Jmace57 +1 for Cole Younger. He might not be the 'winner' of this thread (lol) but he was the first that came to mind as soon as I saw the thread. 11 times including right in the face and lived! Late 1800s medical-technology and sterility no less

vtail
February 23, 2013, 07:44 AM
Matt Dillon was shot like 195 times over a 20 year period. A little older at the end, but still kickin bad guy tail!
And I think it was always in the same shoulder.

Now, THAT'S tough.

JohnBT
February 23, 2013, 09:35 AM
"Some of these stories really shock the crap outta me."

Roy Sullivan started working as a park ranger in Shenandoah Nat. Park in 1936. Between 1942 and 1977 he was stuck by lightning SEVEN times.

He shot himself in 1983 at age 71 - over a woman.

xfyrfiter
February 23, 2013, 12:44 PM
BG in Montery years back, was shot 19 times all to the body, and survived to spend the rest of his life in prison.

piece of meat
February 23, 2013, 07:37 PM
Some of these stories i just dont buy, they must have been exaggerrated to the extreme, esp some of the war ones..your telling me the guy got strafed by a plane all over the chest, plus other injuries,and didnt die? Another guy thirty plus rounds including 7.62 rounds, multiple hits from rifles, machine guns, bayonettes and shrapnel and didnt die? Guys shot 33 times with 9mmu including in the face and is still fighting? Im sure they were all tough guys, but surely something is not quite right here..

Odd Job
February 23, 2013, 07:49 PM
Most holes I've seen in one guy (excluding shotgun injuries) was 10. That guy survived.
But 10 holes doesn't necessarily mean 10 shots, it could be much less than that. Hell, it could be two lucky shots or even one incredibly lucky shot...

Arp32
February 23, 2013, 08:41 PM
A friend of mine was just on a jury where the defendant had been shot by police 16 times. The guy finally went down after being hit in the face with a load of buckshot. She said it was unreal.

berettaprofessor
February 23, 2013, 09:37 PM
Emmett Dalton (Dalton Gang) was shot 23 times in the bank raid on Coffeyville Kansas and lived.

JohnBT
February 23, 2013, 09:46 PM
Aw, what's a few little bullets anyway?

Phineas Gage took a 13-pound tamping bar through the head and lived. He was packing explosive in a hole when it went off and blew the tamping bar through his head.

www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Phineas-Gage-Neurosciences-Most-Famous-Patient.html

"43 inches long, 1.25 inches in diameter and weighing 13.25 pounds—shot skyward, penetrated Gage’s left cheek, ripped into his brain and exited through his skull, landing several dozen feet away.

The year was 1848, so it wasn't advanced medicine that saved him.

piece of meat
February 24, 2013, 01:21 AM
Hans Schniedelwissen in ww1 was recorded as having wandered into no mans land during the battle of verdun, where he reportedly sustained repeated hits from the maxim machine guns..he wouldnt fall so supposedly after some time a mortar hit near him and exploded. He was later found alive on the battlefield with over 68 wounds from the maxims and completely without legs from the mortar blast. Later as he was being carried on stretcher they were ambushed by a group of tommies...who proceeded to kill everyone in his group. Hans was later found with a further 39 wounds from point blank thompson machine gun fire yet was still alive...he is still with us today at the ripe old age of 109.

ThorinNNY
February 24, 2013, 01:35 PM
Cole Younger carried 11 bullets in his body yet still managed to live a long life.I don`t know how many times he was shot at in his career, or how many hits he took.Walking around with 11 bullets still in his body seems to be a testiment to his luck,strength and stamina.

wacki
February 24, 2013, 03:09 PM
Marine Corps pilot and Medal of Honer recipient Pappy Boyington had 54 wounds from bullets and shrapnel after being shot down by the Japanese in WWII. After he parachuted into the water, he was strafed by 4 Japanese fighter planes. He had trouble getting into his life raft after finding dozens of holes in his life vest. After several hours he was picked up by a Japanese sub. One ear was almost completely shot off and part of his scalp was hanging over his face. He then spent 20 months in prisoner of war camps being beaten regularly until the end of the war. He survived even though he received minimal medical care for his wounds.

Wikipedia doesnt mention any of this. Got a source?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

critter
February 24, 2013, 03:32 PM
Not a record at all. However, I have a friend who is a WWII vet serving in Germany. While on night patrol, he and his company (5 others-only he survived) was ambushed by Germans and he was shot with a 9mm submachine gun. He was he BAR man, pulled the trigger on the BAR and turned to face the enemy. He was not sure if he connected in this case.

He has a 'seam' of 9mm 'stitches' starting in is back just left of midline, around under his arm and a couple finished in the front on the left side. I've seen all the scars-not sure how many but likely 6-8 holes.

That put him out of the war, but he survived after about 6 months in the hospital and is still living.

VERY interesting guy to visit with!

HorseSoldier
February 24, 2013, 03:42 PM
Years ago I read a book on the Winter War in Finland where there was an anecdote about a Finnish soldier who was shot 20+ times during a single engagement. Medical staff found him to be still vaguely alive but so bad off and beyond help that they placed him in the tent holding KIAs. Several hours later he scared the bejesus out of a medical orderly by sitting up and asking for a cigarette.

AethelstanAegen
February 24, 2013, 04:09 PM
Hans Schniedelwissen in ww1 was recorded as having wandered into no mans land during the battle of verdun, where he reportedly sustained repeated hits from the maxim machine guns..he wouldnt fall so supposedly after some time a mortar hit near him and exploded. He was later found alive on the battlefield with over 68 wounds from the maxims and completely without legs from the mortar blast. Later as he was being carried on stretcher they were ambushed by a group of tommies...who proceeded to kill everyone in his group. Hans was later found with a further 39 wounds from point blank thompson machine gun fire yet was still alive...he is still with us today at the ripe old age of 109.

Nice try, piece of meat, but I don't think you'll find anyone buying that.

That said, many of these other stories are actually true. The reason we believe things like Benavidez's 37 wounds is because of the extensive record trail for his injuries which were necessary for him to receive his Medal of Honor. So that one at least shows you how bad it can get and still have someone chugging.

Double Naught Spy
February 24, 2013, 04:58 PM
Record number of times someone has been shot, and survived?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy got shot in the FACE five times, walked out of the house and drove away makes me wonder....

Just goes to show that if the bullets don't connect with vital structures, then you can't count on the person going down, even with multiple "head" shots.

It should be noted that Harry Whittington was shot somewhere between 150 and 200 times and still carries 30 or so pieces of birdshot in his body and he was 78 at the time he was shot!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Whittington

jmr40
February 24, 2013, 09:14 PM
Some of these stories i just dont buy, they must have been exaggerrated to the extreme, esp some of the war ones..your telling me the guy got strafed by a plane all over the chest, plus other injuries,and didnt die? Another guy thirty plus rounds including 7.62 rounds, multiple hits from rifles, machine guns, bayonettes and shrapnel and didnt die? Guys shot 33 times with 9mmu including in the face and is still fighting? Im sure they were all tough guys, but surely something is not quite right here..

I agree, there is no documentation for some of these. At least none I can find and some my have been exaggerated a bit. The Benevedis story is well documented though. Not to lessen anything, but of his 37 wounds most were probably superficial shrapnel wounds. He did take 1 round from a 7.62 round through a lung that just missed his heart. Several were in extremeties such as arms and legs, but the amazing thing about his story is that he stayed in the fight and directed air stirkes and artillery for 6 hours after being hit as soon as he stepped off the chopper. His actions saved many other lives as he protected several who were out of the fight until help could arrive.

Most of his most serious wounds came near the end of the fight as they were boarding evacuton choppers. When he finally received the MOH in 1980 Ronald Reagan remarked that if they ever made a movie about his experienes people would not watch it because they would say it was not believable.

If you haven't already done so,you should read this.

KMatch
February 25, 2013, 09:41 AM
I had a guy, shot himself under the chin with a .380 in bed. Fell to sleep (Thought he was dead) woke up and called 911...

The human body is strange in deed. Ironically he almost died while being intubated in the hospital.

Some show I saw years ago, I forget the actual storyline of the show, but one "participant" giving his story had put an AR type rifle under his chin and fired. He was still alive with a face that looked like a train wreck, but alive either way. The pressures here should have killed him simply 'close' to his head.

Another example was a "cops" type show, again, years ago, where a huge PCP induced thug took countless hits from all directions to go down. Regardless of what a "normal" human can take, a simple example of our needs for higher capacity mags is when potent drugs are involved with the perp. Yeah, I know... we have laws to prevent drug use so this is simple paranoia on my part... Sorry.

Why do I need 30 round mags? 100 rounders are too heavy and tend to jam.

If you enjoyed reading about "Record number of times someone has been shot, and survived?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!