38 Detective Special Questions.

PDA

Airbrush Artist
January 10, 2013, 02:42 PM
My Dad gave me His Colt 38 Detective Special 1973 Model I doubt he has shot 25 rounds with it ,I do concert Security and Transportation for The Rock Stars at the venue I have been a event manager for 12 years and have curently Change to production staff and sometimes the Contacts requires C&C protection,I'm currently in the process of tactical protection Training and C&C Certification,I absolutely Love this Firearm its a pleasure just to hold and look at,lol It in My opinion is perfect, for what I need I love the feel and the grip ,I have yet to fire the weapon and I'm taking My training and Certification with another gun Dad give me Its a 22 caliber Sentinel Deluxe a older weapon as well.I was wanting some Input as to my decscion to Sell The 38 to purchase a newer automatic Weapon or use the 38 as my primary weapon for work,It is immaculate I contacted Colt and the are sending me the Manual at No expense.I presume I can get anywhere from $500 -$750 for the 38 and also does the have a Transfer Bar or Hammer Block...Great meeting you all and Appreciate any input ,God Bless..http://https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/543773_10200155043620132_2022843760_n.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "38 Detective Special Questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BLB68
January 10, 2013, 02:51 PM
I don't count 38 questions. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

My only experience with Detective Specials is with the two we had in our arms room when I was in the Army. Loved those little guns. If I had one, I wouldn't let it go for any price. I wouldn't sell one to finance a new auto, I'd just save up for the auto. You can get quite a few nice carry weapons for really reasonable prices nowadays.

Airbrush Artist
January 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
Thks BL for the input

rcmodel
January 10, 2013, 03:02 PM
What he said.

25 years from now you will better appreciate that beautiful old Colt with your dads fingerprint oil & your memories of him all over it.

A new plastic fantastic wonder gun?
Probably won't be nearly so awe inspiring then.

rc

Airbrush Artist
January 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/543773_10200155043620132_2022843760_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/543773_10200155043620132_2022843760_n.jpg

230RN
January 10, 2013, 03:19 PM
I love mine so much that I don't shoot or carry it any more. I used to carry it in an ankle rig when deep concealment was necessary. Like at summer lawn parties.

With +Ps, it does create a horrific flash and blast, though.

I used to call it "My Fourth Of July Gun" 'cause it reminded me of a 12" aerial salute shell going off.

I sure loves me that deep, dark, Colt bluing. I guess there's a reason it was issued to so many plain-clothes LEOs over the years.

And, oh, that sweet, sweet double-action trigger pull! Yummy! Compare to almost any DA auto. I dare you.

It's now a safe Empress.

Terry, 230RN

Guillermo
January 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
Carry your "new" DS with confidence.

The "positive" hammer block is quite effective.

Many consider it to be the finest snubby ever made.

The only problem that I have with the 3rd release DS' is the small front sight. In low light conditions it is hard to pick up. Some white fingernail polish helps.

230RN
January 10, 2013, 04:21 PM
^ "The only problem that I have with the 3rd release DS' is the small front sight. In low light conditions it is hard to pick up. Some white fingernail polish helps."

That's why G-d made laser sights. I have become a firm believer in them and hang the expense. If I were to carry my DS any more, I'd stick a laser on it. Both my carry guns now have lasers on them. With my S&W 340 snubby pocket revolver, I found I can shoot two-handed from about the level of my rib cage very accurately with the laser without getting blinded by the flash in low-light conditions. I can hold the revolver right against my body for superb stability in aiming.

Not so much with an auto. With my lasered 1911, I have to hold it away from myself to avoid getting hit with the slide, which also causes FTFs and FTEs. Don't ask me how I know.

Wanna see the scar on my soft white belly? *

Terry, 230RN

* That's an exaggeration for the sake of a good joke line, but I did ruin a shirt doing that.

Airbrush Artist
January 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
I spoke to the Colt tech and she said the +p was a no go as a round and she also said that a that a transfer bar or hammer block was not on any Colt 38 prior to 1983 ..Hmm how does a Nyclad standard hollow point round 158 grain sound as ammo for my baby..

rcmodel
January 10, 2013, 08:27 PM
I spoke to the Colt tech and she said the +p was a no go as a round Good grief!!

I shoot +P in my Colt Commando which was made in 1942.

For all practical purposes, most of todays +P .38 is yesterdays standard pressure.

Every Colt DA revolver made since the early 1900's has a positive hammer block safety!!

Thats where the name "Police Positive" came from in 1907.
And thats where the Detective Special came from in 1927.

rc

ljnowell
January 10, 2013, 09:51 PM
Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: this is not an attack.

Now, what your fathergave you is a family hierloom. Its much more than a 38. Thats a gift that will leave a bond to your father long after he is gone. Do yourselfa favor, if you want a newr auto, put that 38 away and buy one. Dont destroy what will be a symbol of your fathers love for you for years to come.

Airbrush Artist
January 10, 2013, 10:12 PM
Yea ,I have given that some serious thought LJ Thanks, But I got to be honest I Love That gun for the weapon that it is as well as what is really important about it,it was from My Dad,When Its with me its Like He is with me too ...To some that might sound corny but its true...

rswartsell
January 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
AND you have what many consider to be the best short barrel revolver ever made.

IF you school yourself to the revolver "manual of arms" AND you never get into a Mogadishu type general warfare shootout, you will be as well armed as anyone can be for the simple purpose of personal defense. Count on it. Your Daddy knew what he was about.

dwstone1227
January 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
I too have a Colt Police Positive Special 38. I paid $75 for it barely used around 1980. It is still in the original box. I recently took it to the range to shoot. A knowledgable gun lover who saw me nearly had a heart attack when I told him I was going to shoot it for the first time in years. He pulled out a book and showed me a near similar gun and what that gun was now valued at. I now keep this Colt secured. My son has already claimed it for his inheritance. They simply do not make 'em like that any longer.

In short, you would be a fool too part with your keep sake gun.

ljnowell
January 10, 2013, 10:27 PM
Yea ,I have given that some serious thought LJ Thanks, But I got to be honest I Love That gun for the weapon that it is as well as what is really important about it,it was from My Dad,When Its with me its Like He is with me too ...To some that might sound corny

By all means carry it daily, but dont sell it. Thats how I took your post.

Guillermo
January 10, 2013, 10:33 PM
I spoke to the Colt tech and she said the +p was a no go

that is bullsqueeze

+P of today is the same pressure as the regular ammo from pre-72.

Do a search and read one of the MULTIPLE threads on the subject.

But remember, if it were up to Colt, they would tell you not to shoot anything but "regular" pressure ammo out of a King Cobra

KC&97TA
January 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
If you're around Eastern NC, you should sell me that DS, I'll give you $500 cash!

I carry a DS daily, 38 +P for 'carry'. I'd recommend you Carry the DS, I can barely tell I have it IWB with a cheap Uncle Mikes Holster.

Do a little searching, there's allot of men carrying Snub nose revolvers, many of them have other "hip" auto type pistols they pass over for the comfort of a snub. I can lay my DS on top of my G19 and they're about the same size... as well as a G19 carries... still doesn't carry as well as the DS.

Ken70
January 11, 2013, 12:06 AM
I'd put that gun in the safe and buy something else to carry. You'll mess up the bluing, or some other problem, and knock the value down. I've got a .22 Bankers Special, made in 1935, one of about 2800 made. Just saw one sell for $2900 or so. It's a 98% or 95% gun. The value drops in half when it gets down to 90% or so.

Also have a Gold Cup National Match; stays in the safe until I want to target shoot. Get something less than an heirloom

DPris
January 11, 2013, 12:16 AM
Above all- DO NOT GET GUILLERMO STARTED ON +P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denis

rswartsell
January 11, 2013, 12:31 AM
I will stand firm on you never HAVE TO buy another handgun for personal defense. Personal choice? In these parts we say "suit yourself".

Guillermo
January 11, 2013, 10:21 AM
Above all- DO NOT GET GUILLERMO STARTED ON +P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally laughing out loud

DPris
January 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
Crisis averted?
Denis

Airbrush Artist
January 11, 2013, 12:41 PM
You guys are great...just bear with me until I get this forum stuff down Thks so very Much for the input ,Your helpin to make My dad proud of taking time with a great bunch of Guys to Cherish what He left me Like RSHart said ,I guess Dad knew

Guillermo
January 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
Yes Denis,

Crisis concerning "+P" averted.

I do, however, feel a MIM rant coming on!!!

HIT THE DECK!!!!

:neener:

DPris
January 11, 2013, 02:23 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denis

DPris
January 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
(Run. Far. Fast.)
:)
Denis

Guillermo
January 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
(Run. Far. Fast.)

It I can wrap a Judge/Taurus rant into it we can really have the perfect storm!!!

ohio58
January 11, 2013, 03:14 PM
Do Not sell the Colt .38...in my opinion one of the best little revolvers ever made. I have a 1958 Colt Cobra i always carry and do not feel under gunned what so ever....

DPris
January 11, 2013, 06:39 PM
Guill, it's only January. Spread it out some. You've got 11.5 months to go during a brand new year. :)
Denis

Guillermo
January 11, 2013, 07:18 PM
Denis,

I have turned over a new leaf.

Look at post number 16. No rant, made a statement, told him where to reference it, moved on.

I know, I know… The world may be coming to an end.

Vern Humphrey
January 11, 2013, 07:30 PM
I have and love a Colt Detective Special. It has a rebounding hammer and is safe to carry with all chambers loaded. Unlike comparable S&Ws, it has six, not five chambers. It is not rated for +P, but +P is basically an advertising gimmick, anyway.

Having said that, my daily carry gun is a Kimber Custom Classic in .45 ACP. When everything goes to pot, that's the gun I want in my fist.

Airbrush Artist
January 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
Up close shot finally ,no pun intended ,Thanks Dad..even looks better since I cleaned it 1973 Colt .38 Detective Special..https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/252060_10200162130997312_1691490551_n.jpg

ljnowell
January 12, 2013, 12:58 AM
thats beautiful!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "38 Detective Special Questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!