Holster for 8" barrel 1861 navy

PDA

Mictlanero
January 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a holster?

I prefer the 1 piece loop style holsters but can't seem to find any for 8" barrel

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster for 8" barrel 1861 navy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
January 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
The so-called 1861 Navy reproductions with 8" barrels are made using 1860 Army barrel blanks that are bored to .36 rather then .44 size. A holster made for the 1860 Army should fit these just fine.

mike.
January 10, 2013, 07:46 PM
I bought for my Pietta 1858 44 from.www.Homefashionexpress.com

Malamute
January 10, 2013, 10:23 PM
I bought for my Pietta 1858 44 from.www.Homefashionexpress.com

Really?

mike.
January 10, 2013, 10:48 PM
that was one on the shipping lable maybe this one.
http://stores.ebay.com/Midwest-Pet-and-Garden/Firearm-Accessories-/_i.html?_fsub=789768010&_sid=36527390&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
sorry about this.it's where i bought the cartridge belt.i'll find the holster site

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUNTER-LEATHER-PISTOL-HOLSTER-MODEL-1100-35-L-K-/390520223388?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=vhUvDGM9tmec%2F9uJKpo5R4RkVJ0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hellgate
January 11, 2013, 01:25 PM
Mictlanero,
Are you sure it is an 8" barrel 1861 "Navy"? I have a 44 cal 8" barreled "1861 Navy". All it is is an 1860 Army 44 with a Navy sized grip frame (made by ASM). I'm not sure if anyone else made them (Pietta, Uberti, or Euroarms). Navy grips on the 1860 Army was a common variant of the Army Colt. I've not yet seen a 36 cal like you describe. Who made it? Is it truly 36 cal? Is the barrel 7.5" ('61 Navy) or 8" (1860 Army) long? Just curious.

Mictlanero
January 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
Hellgate: it is by Pietta - like Old Fuff said, it is basically an 1860 bored to .36 cal.

Mike: thanks for that link - looks like there are no more that fit 8"

Dangit - really would like to get a Mexican or Cheyenne loop holster to fit it - i may have to make my own one i guess

Hellgate
January 11, 2013, 01:52 PM
Mictlanero,
It must feel barrel heavy with that small grip. Well, I learned something today. Thanks.

J-Bar
January 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
Are there gunshows nearby? Usually lots of leather for sale, take your gun in to ensure fit. Or, your local leather store should be able to recommend custom makers in your area.

desidog
January 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
Track of the Wolf must have something that works.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=holster

TomADC
January 11, 2013, 05:31 PM
How about this one? It was made to look aged but its new. $45 shipped.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ATouchofYellowLeatherwerkes/2012-08-27140625.jpg

mike.
January 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
there are still some available.in the ebay search bar put in hunter 1100-35

Mictlanero
January 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks folks - appreciate the help

Mictlanero
January 13, 2013, 06:47 PM
i went with this one i found:

http://img1.etsystatic.com/001/0/5250783/il_fullxfull.361723153_l06p.jpg

the maker put a thigh tie on for me also

mike.
January 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
LA area?

rondog
January 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
https://www.oklahomaleatherproducts.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OLP&Category_Code=B1

Mictlanero
January 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
not l.a. - the maker is in Tennessee - http://www.etsy.com/listing/105779709/custom-leather-western-loop-holster-1860

Holster is for 1860 - but my 1861 pretty much is an 1860 so it will be fine. I really wanted the loop style like this

tedwitt
January 13, 2013, 07:46 PM
In Texas, I got mine at the Academy in Conroe, Tx. I will post a picture soon.

Harrod
January 13, 2013, 08:19 PM
Dang Mictlanero, that is a nice holster. I have been looking around for something very similar for my 1860 armys. I really like the loop style holsters and looks like you found a winner. At that price though I may have to sit on my hobby allowance for a while to afford a couple :p Do you have a matching belt to go along with it?

Old Fuff
January 13, 2013, 08:26 PM
Been there, done that: When money didn't grow on trees I made my own.

Use a search engine (Yahoo, Google, etc) and the key word Tandy.

Harrod
January 13, 2013, 08:51 PM
How difficult was it to get into leatherworking and turn out a nice holster?

Old Fuff
January 13, 2013, 09:20 PM

Neither hard or expensive. Back in the frontier days a lot of cowboys who where short on cash and long on time in a line cabin during the winter made their own rigs. Times have not changed.

Right now I'm in the middle of something, but I'll be back.

Malamute
January 14, 2013, 11:03 AM
I bought this one for a Ruger 45, but they'll make one for about anything. I believe it was about $75. I'm wanting a similar one for my Colts 3rd Dragoon.

Blue Mountain Saddlery Holster,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_2907.jpg

Mictlanero
January 14, 2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions - now that i ordered this double loop holster I need a gun belt - my preference is for buscadero style western drop belt - I want a nice plain black one

Any ideas!?

CraigC
January 14, 2013, 07:05 PM
Not difficult at all if you are good with your hands. This was my first holster that I finished a couple months ago. I've since made a blackpowder hunting pouch, another holster, a knife sheath, an elk skin book pouch. etc.. Definitely getting better with practice. Need to take more pics and finish that belt I started. You can get started with a minimum of tools that aren't very expensive and find a good hide on sale at Tandy. I'd strongly suggest watching their online videos. I also found Chuck Burrows' DVD to be indispensable. I'd suggest an overstitch wheel, a good awl with proper tips, harness needles, a stitching groover, a #3 edge beveler and maybe a set of punches. You can use a utility knife but I prefer a curved blade knife.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_1237b.jpg

Dr.Rob
January 14, 2013, 07:22 PM
As much as I like the slim jim style for fast handling.. I much prefer a flap-style holster for BP revolvers.

CraigC
January 14, 2013, 08:32 PM
I've been using a cheap Oklahoma Leather flap holster for my 1860's and Open Top for the last several years and have really come to appreciate the design. It's a little slower to access but for sheer utility, it's hard to beat. Much as I hate to, I'll probably de-stitch it to use it as a pattern. Or maybe I'll just try adding a flap to a Slim Jim pattern. Maybe do a right side, butt forward configuration. Lots of options to play around with.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7062b.jpg

YumaKid
January 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
For my 8" Pietta Remington; I just bought the "Slim Jim"-looking holster that Cabela's sells all the time. I think it was $17.95 or thereabouts at the time. Then, because I'm just goofy about these things; I dumped the holster in a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water and wrapped the '58 in about 14 layers of saran wrap. Pulled the holster out, jammed the NMA in deep, and worked the leather into all the nooks and crannies of the revolver. Then I let the holstered pistol set out in the Sonoran Desert August sun 'til it dried. El Cheapo 'molded' holster!
Added a thong to catch the tail of the hammer for retention, wiped it down with Lexol and called it good.

mike.: Your "Home Fashions Express" link wasn't a total waste I actually found a good looking left-hand holster for my 5.5 Remington NMA for $25. Already pulled the trigger (pun intended) on one.
http://www.homefashionexpress.com/genuine-tooled-leather-western-gun-holster-left-handed/

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my S&W M629 is gonna be soooooo happy to be snuggled up back in the cop-surplus Safariland duty holster that's been carryin' the li'l Remmie around.

Never can tell who the final seller is gonna be when you order through Amazon....

CraigC
January 15, 2013, 08:55 PM
You don't have to get it sopping wet, use hot water or bake it in the sun. Just dampen it with a soft cloth or run it under the faucet for a few seconds, stick the pistol in it and let it dry overnight. I just do it when I finish dyeing because it's wet anyway.

Old Fuff
January 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Ah… It’s a good idea to lightly grease the gun and wrap it in plastic kitchen wrap before you stick it in a wet holster and leave it. Unless of course you intend to strip the finish.

YumaKid
January 15, 2013, 11:57 PM
CraigC: I wouldn't say it was "sopping wet", was only in the water for 2-3 minutes; just long enough to ooze a little oil out.

Old Fuff: To quote myself: "... and wrapped the '58 in about 14 layers of saran wrap....". Because it's been my experience that plastic kitchen wrap (Mom always called it "Saran Wrap" and I never realized that such was a brand name) doesn't stick to even slightly oily surfaces - like the Tupperw... Ahem, plastic food storage bowl with the missing lidthat is then covered in Saran Wrap. While I did not specifically douse the Pietta in Ballistol prior to wrapping it up; neither did I make any effort to remove the oil wiped on it after cleaning it two days prior.

Which is why "about 14 layers of saran wrap"" is not all that much of an exaggeration - dang stuff kept slipping off the weapon whilst I was attempting to wrap it up. :banghead:

After 14 hours of 100+ degree temps that Tuesday, the holster was board-stiff; and firmly seating the revolver in the finished holster almost negated the need for the hammer-retaining thong. :p

CraigC
January 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't say it was "sopping wet", was only in the water for 2-3 minutes; just long enough to ooze a little oil out.
Just trying to save you a little effort. ;)

Ah… It’s a good idea to lightly grease the gun and wrap it in plastic kitchen wrap before you stick it in a wet holster and leave it. Unless of course you intend to strip the finish.
He already said he wrapped it in plastic so I did not feel the need to reiterate that point. :rolleyes:

I use one gallon freezer bags.

YumaKid
January 17, 2013, 11:39 PM
I tried using a "zipper style" 1 gallon plastic storage bag.... tried TWO of them, in fact. Neither one responded well to the front sight. When I tried it "zipper side down" the sight blew out the bottom seam. "Zipper side up" resulted in the sight 'unzipping the zipper'!
Since SWMBO did the grocery shopping before running up to Tucson to see that her mother made it through surgery, and since she bought something like 65 lineal feet of plastic wrap in the handy dispenser box for the cupboard; I made an Executive Decision to wrap up the NMA. Afterwards I braved the lunatic Sunday afternoon crowds at Wally World (where, at least in Yuma, AZ; there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING available in black powder supplies) and bought another 65-foot box of the stuff before she got home.

Only big problem was that I bought the REAL Saran Wrap, rather than the el-Cheapo "Great Value" brand. So, I got caught. Oops.

The holster turned out great, though! In fact it came out too well; so well that I was "gigged" by a 'costume judge' at a re-enactment contest three weeks later.
"Son, ain't NOBODY that wet-molded their holsters in the 1870's." Yeah, whatever.
Ya want "realistic"? I'll ram a ball on top of that cardboard wad - how's THAT for "realistic"? :evil:

I don't play in re-enactment competitions any more - maybe some skits with the gang at swap meets, now and then, but that's all. Would rather poke holes in cardboard or ring some steel anyhow.
Sgt Michael "Dawg" Kelly, (formerly of the 10th, fought alongside Forsythe at Beecher's Island) doesn't need to be lectured by some dude -in a snow white fru-fru shirt, pince-nez spectacles and a dove-gray bowler hat with matching gloves- about realistic!

CraigC
January 18, 2013, 11:25 AM
You don't have to zipper closed. I used a single one gallon bag for the big Dragoon above and there's no way it would all fit in the bag. You just need a barrier between the gun and the wet leather. So enough to cover the parts of the gun in the holster is sufficient.

Chuck Burrows makes the most authentic frontier holsters I know of and he wet molds. Which simply ensures that there are no tight spots and is not the same thing as boning the holster to the gun, as they do with "modern" holster designs.

Old Fuff
January 18, 2013, 11:51 AM
"Son, ain't NOBODY that wet-molded their holsters in the 1870's."

They did so indirectly. The leather generally used then was thinner that what we see today in reproductions of frontier era rigs, and since most travel was by horseback or open wagons the originals’ occasionally got wet and self-molded to whatever revolver they were carrying. I have examined a number of pre-early 1900’s “scabbards” as they were sometimes called, that were molded enough so one could identify the make and model of the gun therein.

SleazyRider
January 19, 2013, 10:44 PM
Tell me more, Craig C, if you don't mind, about the belt, buckle, and knife sheath on that rig. Thanks!

CraigC
January 20, 2013, 12:44 AM
The belt came from the Leatherman. The hand forged buckle from Dixie Gun Works and the knife is a custom from ML Knives. I'm in the process of doing a new belt that will be thicker and stiffer, along with a smaller buckle. Then I'll do a new sheath for the knife. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster for 8" barrel 1861 navy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!