Did Democrats take over the House of Representatives?

PDA

skypirate7
January 10, 2013, 05:16 PM
Because if Republicans still control the House, then the anti-gun crowd can kick and scream all they want and they won't have the votes.

Our efforts should be focused on making sure our Republican representatives HOLD THE LINE.

We flatly disagree with their anti-gun proposals. End-of-story. If they want a national conversation that yields a bill that has a chance in the House then they should come back to reality and stop wasting time proposing ridiculous bans on high-capacity magazines.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did Democrats take over the House of Representatives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Solo
January 10, 2013, 05:19 PM
At best, this tactic will only work as long as the Republicans control the House. It is not a long term solution to protecting Second Amendment rights.

Inazone
January 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
I was under the impression that Republican majority in the House is what is really driving the threat of an executive order.

joeschmoe
January 10, 2013, 05:51 PM
Plenty of pro-2nd democrats too. Biden and friends are just barking at the moon. (Reid alone has killed most of the anti bills).
The more extreme thier positions, the faster they will get shot down.

Threats of EO' are all they have left. Even that will be very limited or they too will be shot down. EO's can't make new law. Just direct the executive branch on how to enforce current law.

No big bans or confiscations.

22-rimfire
January 10, 2013, 06:09 PM
Whether or not you like it, the Democrats have always been in charge of both houses in a practical sense. The Republicans are seldom a solid voting block like the Dems and this remains true relative to guns.

tyeo098
January 10, 2013, 06:21 PM
Its not even republicans. There are MANY Pro-2A Democrats and MANY Anti-2A republicans.

joecil
January 10, 2013, 06:48 PM
Sure are many pro 2nd dems out there. If you think back to the original gun ban it passed a completely controlled congress by 2 votes and that took Reagan himself going to them in person to get that.

Phatty
January 10, 2013, 06:49 PM
I was under the impression that Republican majority in the House is what is really driving the threat of an executive order.
Your impression is correct.

Phatty
January 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
Its not even republicans. There are MANY Pro-2A Democrats and MANY Anti-2A republicans.
This is true, but there's more to it than that. Many congressmen can be bought off if the price is right. Their pro-2A beliefs fade away in a hurry when a gun ban sponsor slaps a nice big piece of juicy pork in the bill. Horse-trading goes on all the time, and we'll have to watch out for "I'll vote for your bill if you vote for mine."

Trad Archer
January 10, 2013, 06:55 PM
ABC Nightly News just mentioned that the NRA has given 288 members of congress (the majority) the grade of A.:)

22-rimfire
January 10, 2013, 06:59 PM
We'll see how that holds up.

USAF_Vet
January 10, 2013, 07:12 PM
NRA grades mean nothing to greasy palmed politicians. If they weren't concerned about re-election, most would sell us out in a heart beat if the price was right. That's the one good thing about no term limits for congress critters.

AlexanderA
January 10, 2013, 07:23 PM
The problem is that you can't rely on any Congressman -- including Republicans -- to keep his pro-gun promises. A lot of them are being stampeded to vote for restrictions in this climate of hysteria. Time would be on our side, for passions to cool, but I'm not sure we have much time. This is exactly why Obama & co. are trying to rush things through.

BHP FAN
January 10, 2013, 07:30 PM
I think they are going to model it on the existing law here in California, at least that seems to be what Dianne Feinstein has been pushing. I don't care if you're a Democrat or Republican, if your're gunfolk, you need to join the NRA, if you're already a member, upgrade to Life. Now's the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did Democrats take over the House of Representatives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!