H&R survival rifle with stuck bullet

PDA

bamacj5
January 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
Hello people, new to the forum, I went out and bought an H&R survival rifle in .308. I have a friend who has one and has been very happy with it. Well get rifle home get scope mounted, the whole nine yards, put bullet in gun, close gun. Gun does not close, bullet does not seat all the way into the barrel, bullet is stuck and the push out mechanism will not push it out, of course its to far in to grasp with finger nails, take rifle apart down to barrel pretty easy, try to use gun cleaning rod to push bullet back out, its firmly lodged in barrel, thats why im here, anybody got any ideas how to get this bullet out? NOTE: this is an unfired live round. And if not can you recommend a good gun smith in Birmingham Alabama.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R survival rifle with stuck bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sun Tzu warrior
January 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
I have an H&R buffalo Classic. I loaned it to a friend to hunt with last Friday. He dropped it in sand while boating accross a creek. It too would not close for him. Sand had gotten in between the receiver and the ejector causing it to not close. Another thing which can cause this is if you put a re-load which was neck sized only that was shot from a gun with a smaller chamber. The angle on a .308 case has less than a 7% taper which would creat a positive lock. (like a flywheel on a lawnmower, or outboard engine) I would use a 1/4 inch wooden dowel rod (Ace hardware, and keep pointed in a safe direction) to push the projectile into the case, then enough water to make the powder good and wet. Then tap the dowel wtih a hammer to knock the case out of the chamber.

Schutzen
January 11, 2013, 12:08 AM
DO NOT USE A WOODEN DOWEL! The idea is correct, but a wooden dowel will expand around to spire point of the bullet in wedge in to the barrel where it is nearly impossible to remove.

The best rod I have found is a mild steel rod. Heat one end of the rod cherry red and quench in used motor oil. Let this cool. Then wrap all but the hardened end with electrical tape. Use this rod to tap the bullet out. Save the rod, if you are like me it will not be the only time you need it.

R.W.Dale
January 11, 2013, 02:05 AM
Don't laugh but I use a car radio antenna for stuff like this.

Stainless steel, fairly stiff with a nice round non marring non wedging ball on the end.

Ill bet if you just dropped it through the bbl it would pop the stuck round right out from the impact.

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complains about

lefteyedom
January 11, 2013, 04:28 AM
As long as the primer is not going to be struck, whack the h*ll out of it with a steel rod and a BFH.

There are other ways to do this, but a rod and hammer combined with a little common sense and you will be fine

Centurian22
January 11, 2013, 05:26 AM
One thing to add to all of this: DO NOT FIRE THE ROUND after ANY attempts at dislodging it. At least not without checking the overall length with calipers to compare to an unchambered round. All the tapping banging and pushing could very likely seat the bullet deeper in the case, decreasing case volume and therefore GREATLY increasing pressures.

Best of luck getting it freed up.

bamacj5
January 11, 2013, 09:49 AM
im a litle shy bout hitting this thing with a hammer, and no the round is going in the disposal, i guess ill have to look around for a steel rod, i have a gun cleaning rod i used, i didnt hit it with a hammer but i hit it pretty hard, this thing is lodged in there, ill put all of your sugestions to work. thank guys

Centurian22
January 11, 2013, 10:40 AM
A 'spritz' of some kind of lube or penetrating oil from either or both sides may help also. Be careful with the cleaning rod or any rod thy doesn't fill most of the bore, the tip will wedge between the tapered side of the bullet and the bore and could cause damage or get stuck itself. Another idea: stuff a loose crumple of newspaper in behind the case if you're concerned about the round striking something and going off as you whack it.

Keep us posted.

rcmodel
January 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
+1000 on No wood dowel rods!!
If it splits and wedges on the bullet tip, you have created the Mother of All Barrel Obstructions!!

Go to any hardware store and buy a 1/4"x36" length of smooth steel or brass rod.

Drop it down the barrel and use it's weight to tap the stuck round out.
You won't even need a hammer.

It cannot go off just from beating on the bullet tip.

rc

Liberty1776
January 12, 2013, 12:58 AM
^
This

(Go to any hardware store and buy a 1/4"x36" length of smooth steel or brass rod.

Drop it down the barrel and use it's weight to tap the stuck round out.
You won't even need a hammer.)

mdi
January 14, 2013, 12:50 PM
Look at Enco for brass bars (I don't like putting bare steel rods down the barrel of my guns).http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-3714&PMPXNO=941962 Don't be afraid to hit the rod with a hammer, unless the primer is srtuck sharply with a pointed object, it won't fire.

Double check; gun/barrel clean, correct ammo...

788Ham
January 14, 2013, 11:49 PM
Hey rc, wasn't there a thread about 3 weeks ago just like this?

rcmodel
January 15, 2013, 12:40 AM
Seems to me like there is a thread like this about every 1-2 weeks or so in one THR forum or another.

I'm really getting tired of the "beat it out with a wood dowel rod" misinformation from the uninformed
that always pops up soon into it every time!!

rc

paintballdude902
January 22, 2013, 02:32 AM
i picked up a 22" brass rod and a small town hardware store and used that when i had a squib .30 carbine load.

worked perfect

bamacj5
March 30, 2013, 10:25 PM
Ok problem revisited, took the advice bought a steel rod removed the barrel from the gun beat out the bullet, cleaned it up and put it away frustrated. got it out today put a bullet in it closed it, took three attempts to close it by the way. fired the gun opened the breach of coarse case does not come out. beat it out with previously purchased steel rod, figured maybe things just need to loosen up, went through the same procedure 5 times still same result, it will not eject and you gotta try three or four times to get the gun closed........ I really wanna like this gun.........the ammo im using is HRP 308 win. i have never used it before with any of my guns. It was cheap and i havnt be able to find any 308 ammo for two months now. All advice is welcome.

mookiie
March 30, 2013, 10:37 PM
Take a round and color the tip in black marker. Chamber it. Beat it out with the previously mentioned steel rod. Check the chamber/bullet for where it rubbed off. Also I would check the OAL of the ammo you have, just to know, as well as the brass case.

kyhunter
March 30, 2013, 10:47 PM
^^^ do this first. Then measure your case length not cartridge length. They are either loaded really long or way out of spec. Barring your rifle will shoot other factory rounds.. It sounds like the OAL is way too long or you have a short chamber or throat.

The only time i had this trouble was with a rem 700 and brass fired out of a BAR that hadnt been FL resized. boy that sucked.

788Ham
March 30, 2013, 11:21 PM
Have you bothered to clean the rifle breech and bore before you fired/tried to fire it? Maybe the insides need a cleaning before firing, factory gunk, whatever! Possibly this is your malfunction.

Greycliff gunman
March 31, 2013, 04:12 AM
Something definitely does not sound quite right. Did the ammo come with gun? Is it the correct ammo? Right cartridge and caliber? Did somebody reccomend this ammo? Is it factory or reloads? Take the ammo and gun to a reputable gunsmith see what they say. The bullet may be way to long to seat properly. Maybe the brass is too long or not sized properly. Maybe not necked right or to large diameter. Just like .223 and 5.56 some guns can feed both and others cannot. Or even that Russian stuff. Is there something else wrong with the gun that is not noticeable. Check it with a bore light. Or a flashlight and a clean white rag. I would quit shooting it until I found the problem and resolved it, you could be doing more damage than good. Or I would take it back to whoever I got it from and get my money back.

Mobuck
March 31, 2013, 02:31 PM
A bullet seated slightly overlength should not be jammed so hard as to require"beating with a hammer" to dislodge. If a cleaning rod dropped in the muzzle is not sufficient to knock the bullet out, there is some serious problem. Also, if the fired case requires hammering a rod to extract, there is some problem with the gun/ammo combination. Cease firing this ammo, thoroughly clean the rifle, and try some fresh factory ammo. If the rifle doesn't open/close freely w/o ammo, it needs attention and/or lubing.

BBBBill
March 31, 2013, 03:35 PM
Stop trying to force it. That accomplishes nothing and may damage something. Confirm that the barrel is indeed .308 Win and not something else. If that checks out, the chamber need to be verified as correctly reamed. Same with the ammo.

bamacj5
March 31, 2013, 09:13 PM
hey people. the barrel reads 308 win and the box reads 308 win, i have a correction on the brand of ammo i listed it as HRP and its actually HPR a little research shows im not the only one having problems getting this ammo to load. i prefer to shoot remington factory ammo in my rifles but at the time and the store they had their remington ammo at over 50 dollars. im gonna try and hunt down some factory ammo and give this another try......and i clean my guns before i shoot the first bullet and after every outing.......i will keep yall posted

Greycliff gunman
April 1, 2013, 05:29 AM
I work in a business that solves problems for people by doing a lot of trouble shooting. No pun intended haha. But I have to ask the obvious first. Its amazing how many people overlook the obvious problem for something else. I know you said the box says .308 win, but does the casing say it as well. Could the wrong ammo be in the wrong box. My .454 casul super redhawk with hot loads has a hard time extracting the cases from the cylinder after being fired but they do come out easy enough.

ObsidianOne
April 1, 2013, 05:49 AM
Honestly, imo, you've put more effort into this than you should have. I would take it back to the store you bought it from or contact the manufacturer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Tzu warrior
April 2, 2013, 12:43 PM
Did you buy this rifle new? Different barrels of other calibers (or even the same caliber) can be put on that receiver, but do require a trip back to the factory for proper headspacing.
If used, someone before you may have changed out the barrel not knowing this.
If new, it should have made a trip to the mother ship long ago.
Either way, the very least I would do is contact the factory and ask them what configuration the rifle was when shipped. (have the model and serial number) It may answer a lot of questions
Let us know.

bamacj5
April 6, 2013, 10:01 PM
never thought about that greycliff. but anyway stopped by one of my many local academy stores today and what do you know fresh boxes of winchester factory 308 win, oh you can only buy one box. got home removed the rifle from the safe, inserted bullet no problems lock breach, no problem, fire bullet, no problems and by god it ejects too, well problem solved, hang on im going to look at the cases on those HPR rounds......................yep the say .308 win. any body wanna buy a box of HPR supposedly 308 win. Ill put no warranty on them.

BBBBill
April 6, 2013, 11:23 PM
Take that crap back where you bought it. I'm sure that you are not the first to have issues with it. AMERC is also some crappy stuff. Their 38Special sticks in the chambers of my Ruger Speed Six.

bamacj5
April 7, 2013, 08:11 PM
I try to do a lot of research before i buy a gun because i do not sell my gun, so i dont wanna be stuck with a piece of junk. I was very excited bout this gun when i bought it and it was cheap, and as i stated before i have a friend who has had one for years and loves it, funny i was thinking bout getting rid of this gun over a silly ammo issue. I appreciate all the input and advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R survival rifle with stuck bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!