Makarov ya or nay?

PDA

husker
January 11, 2013, 12:17 AM
Im in the market for a semi-auto handgun. I really like the way the Makarov feels in my hand & the price tag. But I have never shot one, & know lil to nothing about them. Are their some things I should look for while shopping ? Their seems to be many manufactures to. Is one better than the other?
Thanks in advance for the education.

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov ya or nay?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M2 Carbine
January 11, 2013, 12:32 AM
There is only one Makarov. It was made in China, Russia, Bulgaria and East Germany.

The Polish P64 and Hungarian PA63 and CZ 82/83 are not Makarovs. They shoot the 9x18 rounds. They are decent guns but cost less than a Mak (except the CZ83).

The Makarov is a excellent shooting, reliable and tough pistol.

Personally I like the Makarov, so much so I've bought about 25 amd still own about 17.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Maksall15.jpg

TennJed
January 11, 2013, 01:45 AM
big ya

JERRY
January 11, 2013, 01:54 AM
build like a tank with the weight to match.

kicks more than i care for considering the caliber/power level.

slightly better than .380acp levels, ammo was cheap when i had one.

good accuracy, never had a problem with the bulgy mak i had.

husker
January 11, 2013, 01:55 AM
WOW! Nice collection M2.
Do they make the 9x18 ammo in +p? If so,ok to use?
My reason for wanting this handgun is for concealed carry. I should have mentioned that to start with.

nathan
January 11, 2013, 02:27 AM
I carry my Russian commercial as my daily CHL loaded the Barnaul 95 g JHP. Its so light and conceals very well. The nice thing is, they are very accurate for a small gun. And also built very robust. I do need a nice Bulgy someday to complement my Russian.

owlhoot
January 11, 2013, 04:24 AM
Maks are no longer the great bargain that they were back in the day. And the cheap ammo supply has long been dry. So I can't think of a practical reason to go looking for one unless you are a collector. They are big and heavy for the level of power offered. There are several good nines that are smaller and lighter and the cost isn't significantly more.

On the other hand, I have a Russian Mak that I purchased almost twenty years ago. It is dependable and it is quite accurate. It was a fun plinker back when ammo was very inexpensive. But now there's not much use for it. It just sits in the safe and sulks.

Pilot
January 11, 2013, 07:02 AM
9MM Mak ammo is available in bulk for similar prices, or sometimes less than 9MM Luger ammo. It is also easily reloadable using Starline brass or by trimming 1MM off of readily available 9x19 (9MM Luger) brass. Mak sized bullets are also readily available from most reloading suppliers and bullet makers including inexpensive cast lead. So if you don't want to spend the $10/box of 50 for factory ammo, you can reload for it cheaply.

The Makarov is slim, and easily carried and the 9x18 round is a bit more powerful than .380. If fits in most common holsters designed for small semi-autos. Its all steel contruction, and weight make it easy to shoot well. It is simple and robust in construction, and is very accurate and reliable because of this fact.

I have four Maks. An EG, two Bulgarians and a Russian Commercial .380. I sometimes carry one of the Bulgies which I believe are the best value and still available for around $200 if you look. They are well worth that and more.

ku4hx
January 11, 2013, 07:16 AM
The 9mm Makarov is one of my favorite cartridges to load. Several years ago I obtained a rather large quantity of brass and since I cast my own bullets, I find the Mak a real joy to own and shoot.

The guns have that classic look as well as being nice shooters for the most part.

A big "Yea" from me.

meanmrmustard
January 11, 2013, 07:59 AM
WOW! Nice collection M2.
Do they make the 9x18 ammo in +p? If so,ok to use?
My reason for wanting this handgun is for concealed carry. I should have mentioned that to start with.
Yes, Buffalo Bore makes a +P in that chambering. They do not, however, recommend use in the PA/63. Firing it in the Mak, CZ82, or P-64 is GTG though.

Hope this helps.

MikeJackmin
January 11, 2013, 08:11 AM
There are plenty of more modern guns you might like more. However, if you like the Mak, then get it, it is a particularly reliable and robust gun and it will not disappoint you.

Many military surplus maks had worn mainsprings and this made them kick harder than they should. It's a ten dollar part and it is easy to replace.

Many who carry the Mak prefer rubber grips to the hard plastic they usually come with.

snooperman
January 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
I bought te Chinese Norinco for $125 many years ago and a Bulgarian for $135 some time later and still have them. For the money they are an excellent gun. I like the design and it has enough power as a CCW.

mgmorden
January 11, 2013, 09:08 AM
I carry a Russian commercial Makarov in .380 occasionally. Its a good gun. Solid, and reliable. As said earlier it is heavy though. Also, if you plan to carry it and get one with the lanyard loop on the grip you'll almost have to replace that grip. The loop will dig into your side all day. You can still find Pearce Makarov grips out there though.

PabloJ
January 11, 2013, 09:39 AM
Niet. There are too far too many better choices out there. Even lowly Ruger SR9C is better gun in every way.

el Godfather
January 11, 2013, 10:22 AM
Nay
Unless stichken.

Rubber_Duck
January 11, 2013, 11:09 AM
I say yay. The Makarov is one of my favorite handguns of all time, it's very accurate, extremely reliable, easy to disassemble, and looks good. I also like that the safety is "down to fire" like a 1911 so I won't get confused under stress since a 1911 is the only other gun I shoot and practice with that has a manual safety. The only downside to me is the heel mag release but it's easy enough to use with some practice. Recoil is a bit snappy but it's not difficult to shoot.

M2 Carbine
January 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
Yes, Buffalo Bore makes a +P in that chambering. They do not, however, recommend use in the PA/63. Firing it in the Mak, CZ82, or P-64 is GTG though.
For two reasons I recommend replacing the recoil spring in any Makarov you buy.
You do not know the gun's history and I use the Wolff 21 pound spring in all my Makaroves, even the .380 ones.
The heavier spring softens the recoil a litle but it does make it harder to pull the slide back.
Also I feel better with the heavy spring installed when using hotish loads.

BTW I tried to make a new Bulgarian malfunction in the first 1,000 rounds. I didn't succeed. :)

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makinmud.jpg

Roadking Rider
January 11, 2013, 08:05 PM
Never shot a MAK but man I sure like the CZ82.

meanmrmustard
January 11, 2013, 08:20 PM
Never shot a MAK but man I sure like the CZ82.
My fave of the 9x18 clan too.

parsimonious_instead
January 11, 2013, 08:36 PM
Wish I had waited until SOG had gotten a replenishment of Makarovs instead of "settling" for a P-64.
The P-64 is rugged and well-make, but the Makarovs I've fired felt far better in the hand and overall, easier to handle.
Makarovs and their progeny are concealable with more than adequate ballistic power. I wouldn't pass one up.

S&W657
January 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
I have a FEG pa63, and a CZ 82 and would take them any day over my buddies LC9. The CZ is rivals my glock with accuracy and the pa63 is sleek and sexy. A small lgs owner got a bulgy mak on trade, I told him to save it for me along with a P64, but he liked the mak so much, he kept it for himself. It's been the only one i've seen locally.

Deltaboy
January 12, 2013, 12:01 AM
Get it I had one a got rid of it because I got the ammo mixed up with my 40 cal so I got a 38/special. It carried and shot great.

joneb
January 12, 2013, 12:42 AM
Makarov ? two thumbs up, my E.G. is one of my concealed carry guns. The Mak is simple, reliable and accurate.

wheelgun6T9
January 12, 2013, 01:20 AM
Had a Russian Mak (the adjustable sight commercial variety..IJ70 or some such thing) and it never grew on me. It was absolutely reliable though.

I am a big CZ82 fan - and have been reloading 9x18 for a few years. I like the cartridge.

If it feels good in the hand and you connect with it - you can't go wrong with the cartridge or the Mak Pistol.

Dr.Rob
January 12, 2013, 01:25 AM
To me, East German ones seem to be the best of the manufacturers.

Robbins290
January 12, 2013, 09:24 AM
I big "yay"

srtolly
January 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
I wish I'd had my Bulgarian Makarov before I got my PF9. KelTec PF9 is a good gun but nothing like a Makarov. My Mak is only slightly larger, a little heavier, and far more accurate.

husker
January 12, 2013, 10:15 AM
Great info guys. Thanks

greenlion
January 12, 2013, 10:23 AM
I had a Bulgarian for a long time. It was 100% reliable, and very accurate. My only criticism would be that the sights were sometimes hard to see, and there was a BIG difference between the weight of the double and single action trigger pull. The double action was very heavy, and the single action almost too light. For the money though, a great little gun.

gearhead
January 12, 2013, 02:03 PM
It's just a tiny bit too big for pocket carry but otherwise it's slim, comfortable, and has a pretty good trigger for a military surplus gun. I prefer the P-64 for pocket carry, in fact it's my workday gun because I feel comfortable putting gun and holster in my center compartment while I'm at work (I have to pass through a security checkpoint with metal detectors) then stick it back in my pocket for running errands on my way home. A durable milsurp handgun is perfect in that role. I use my Mak in a similar role in my home, it's hidden securely within reach of my chair for things that go bump in the night.

9mmforMe
January 12, 2013, 02:22 PM
Yes! I had a Russian one and it was reliable, felt good in the hand, easy to take down...as can be seen it looks like Walther, though different internally. I loved it. I sold the sucker when I was too young to fully appreciate it. I got it for about 140 bucks with the usual gear...magazine, cleaning rod, holster. Wish I had it back.

Sebastian the Ibis
January 13, 2013, 03:50 AM
And the cheap ammo supply has long been dry.

Not so my friend. It is still available for pre-panic prices! And I just bought a ton.

Onmilo
January 13, 2013, 04:13 AM
Like the Makarov pistol. It is a .380 class pistol that actually works very well and the cartridge is more accurate than one might think.
I feel the Czech CZ82 is actually a better gun in 9X18 but not because the Makarov is a bad pistol by any means.

Kiln
January 13, 2013, 05:22 AM
The Makarov is no longer a great buy at the prices they're going for, especially true Russian Maks. These things sell anywhere from $250-$350 now depending on the country of origin and condition.

They're still affordable but there are better options available at only marginally higher prices. In the same price range you can get a new gun from a modern manufacturer with a warranty. I just don't see any reason to buy a Makarov unless you're a collector at the prices they are now commanding.

savanahsdad
January 13, 2013, 05:37 AM
big YA! I got one for my wife a few years back , And now wish I could find one for myself, hers is a East Berlin made mak. from 1961 in 9X18 . I paid $275.00 with 8 full boxes of ammo

gripper
January 13, 2013, 01:07 PM
DA !! Great guns.Fobus makes a nice paddle rig AND it fits my Bianchi Foldaway.

Jaymo
January 13, 2013, 03:40 PM
Got da Mak. Got da Fobus. Got da CZ82. Hell, yes! You should get one. If a Mak is too heavy to carry, you have serious strength issues. My 68 yr old dad carries one that I gave him for his birthday, in 1994.

MCgunner
January 13, 2013, 03:47 PM
Accurate, reliable, affordable, powerful enough. Why should anyone say "nay". There are more compact, more powerful handguns for carry if that's the deal, but it'll tote light and svelte in an IWB. Might have to be a generic IWB, though. It's not really a pocket gun.

I would get it just because. :D My SIL has one, nice shooter. I found a P64 Radom and snapped THAT up a few years ago, a bit more pocketable, but heavy as it's all steel. Still need a Mak, a CZ82, a PA63.....:D

Pete D.
January 14, 2013, 08:36 AM
I like the Makarov. I have had a Russian gun for years. I carry it regularly.
I have cases of ammo through it....never a malfunction and always accurate.
A nice looking, solidly made steel gun that is accurate and reliable......what is not to like?
Pete

Carl N. Brown
January 14, 2013, 08:57 AM
Takes a bit more upper body strength to rack the slide on a Makarov compared to a Walter PP; that Makarov has a strong recoil spring. And needs it. 9x18mm Makarov is like a .380 +P on steroids with PMS. On anything smaller than a Tyranosaurus, it is overkill. ;) (seriously, I would consider myself well armed with a Mak; my son has one of the Russian imports (adjustable sights) he got it cheap; the previous owner complained about its poor performance with .380 ammo.)

Roadking Rider
January 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
I picked this little Jem up a couple months back. It's very clean and the funny thing is the Serial Number reads the same foward and backward.

bannockburn
January 14, 2013, 03:33 PM
I was talking with my brother last week when he told me he had something like 1700 rounds in 9X18 Makarov, but only one gun, an East German model, to use it in.

I told him with that much ammo he needs to buy a few more Maks.

Jaymo
January 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
I had a Chinese Mak. I bought it NIB for $125. It was a scarce one, too. For some reason, that particular one was one of less than 500 imported.
I forget what made it special.
I sold it for $375.
Wish I had that one back, but I couldn't see shooting it, since I had the commercial Russkie and the CZ82 already. Didn't have room for a safe queen. Needed the money.
Had a guy who was willing to pay my price.
Hated to let it go, but feeding the wife and kids comes first.

Twmaster
January 14, 2013, 04:19 PM
Another YAY for the Makarov! I had a Bulgy and like a dummy sold it when times got hard. I presently have a PA-63 and it's a regularly carried CHL gun for me. In a high ride IWB holster it's fast to draw and more than powerful enough at typical engagement range.

Even if you have to buy ammo off the shelf it's priced nearly the same as 9MM Luger.

I've got a C&R FFL. I should buy another Bulgy or even a P64.

M2 Carbine
January 14, 2013, 11:53 PM
Saturday, at the LGS I found a very nice Bulgarian Mak that someone had just traded in.
I asked the store manager what he was going to put it out for? He said $319. I said, Sold.
Number 18. :)

Got a problem though.
Usually as soon as I get home with a new gun I shoot it right away (home ranges).
I tore both my shoulders about 7 months ago. The left one was operated on Oct.10 and the right was operated on 12 days ago.
I can't hardly hold a cup of Coffee, so won't be shooting for a while.

Next time my lady shooting friends come out to shoot I'll have them break in the new Mak.:)

Big20
January 15, 2013, 12:03 AM
If you decide to reload for it slug the bore first as barrels vary quite a bit.

montanaoffroader
January 15, 2013, 01:21 AM
I have a Russian commercial model, it shoots straighter than I do. My dad has a Bulgarian, it is also a good shooter. Two thumbs up!

M2 Carbine
January 15, 2013, 12:35 PM
Interesting, I've been reloading for the Mak many years but never thought to slug the barrels. Got to check that out.

Some random Makarov pictures.

Frozen Mak.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makfrozen_2.jpg

Bulgarian civilian model.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Maksquaretriggerguard.jpg

Bulgaria 22 conversion on Bulgarian Mak.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Mak22conversion.jpg

Nicely refinished East German model.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makchrome-1.jpg

Mak at 100 yards. Standing, two hands.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/100yardMakarov2.jpg

Col. Plink
January 15, 2013, 01:54 PM
nay.
super-weak round

PabloJ
January 15, 2013, 02:08 PM
nay.
super-weak round
I would not call it weak. It is same as 9mm police or about 75+/-25fps faster then 9x17. The problem is something like 9x17 can be had in very small package such as LCP. The Makarov is large heavy pistol and except for the price I see no reason picking one over something like the Glock 26.

mljdeckard
January 15, 2013, 02:17 PM
My wife shot one and loved it, thinking of a birthday present.

Pilot
January 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
nay.
super-weak round

Really? On what basis to you make that claim?

PabloJ
January 15, 2013, 02:39 PM
Really? On what basis to you make that claim?
When looking at size and weight by modern standards it is weak package. Please look at dimensions and weight of state of the art 9x19 pistol. It is called the R9.
PS. It's still very good weapon "head and shoulders" above something like Nagant revolver or TT30/33.

Pilot
January 15, 2013, 02:42 PM
The 9x18 obviously not equal to the 9x19, but I think to call it a "super weak round" is a misnomer.

I'll take the all steel, shootable, reliable and accurate Makarov over the ultra compact 9x19 polymer pistols on the market, but that's just me.

Twmaster
January 15, 2013, 06:15 PM
Not just you Pilot.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
The 9x18 obviously not equal to the 9x19, but I think to call it a "super weak round" is a misnomer.

I'll take the all steel, shootable, reliable and accurate Makarov over the ultra compact 9x19 polymer pistols on the market, but that's just me.
+1, and well said. If one feels the 9x18 weak, stand in front of it.

Still think its wimpy? Try Buffalo Bore +P in a CZ82.

You will be missed.

Edit to add: ill also take a $200 Makarov over a Rorbaugh "whateverthehell"R9 thing that costs four times more. No thank you.

Roadking Rider
January 15, 2013, 09:04 PM
Was at the GS today they had an Arsenial Mak in there for $319. Looked like it was in pretty good condition. I don't know to much about them, and never shot one. So my question would be. Good, or no good?

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
Was at the GS today they had an Arsenial Mak in there for $319. Looked like it was in pretty good condition. I don't know to much about them, and never shot one. So my question would be. Good, or no good?
That's a wee high, but I can understand.

They're good.

Roadking Rider
January 15, 2013, 09:14 PM
Thank you kind Sir.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
Thank you kind Sir.
Pics when you buy it.

North Bender
January 15, 2013, 09:31 PM

In all my years discussing Makarovs I've never heard that before! Do you have some measurements you can share?

Roadking Rider
January 15, 2013, 10:00 PM
Pics when you buy it.

I'd like to but I'm still recovering from the Christmas holidays. I picked up a slightly used CZPO-1 Christmas Eve morning that I didn't expect to find at the same GS. So funds are a little tight at the moment. I need to think some more about it as I have more than a few pistols already. Maybe I'll put it on lay away. I just don't ever remember seeing or hearing of a arsenial Mak before and was curious on the quality and price.

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 10:07 PM
Pics when you buy it.

I'd like to but I'm still recovering from the Christmas holidays. I picked up a slightly used CZPO-1 Christmas Eve morning that I didn't expect to find at the same GS. So funds are a little tight at the moment. I need to think some more about it as I have more than a few pistols already. Maybe I'll put it on lay away. I just don't ever remember seeing or hearing of a arsenial Mak before and was curious on the quality and price.
They're around, usually under three bills.

You did a great thing picking up that P01 though.

Roadking Rider
January 15, 2013, 10:27 PM

........................................................................................

Thanks again. Yea the PO-1 is one very nice pistol. I've been wanting one for a long time, and when I saw one used in very good condition I had to jump all over that. I've since put about 300 rounds through it and it's been nothing short of perfect.

For future reference. As far as Maks go what would be the best one to look for, if there is a best one?

meanmrmustard
January 15, 2013, 10:30 PM

........................................................................................

Thanks again. Yea the PO-1 is one very nice pistol. I've been wanting one for a long time, and when I saw one used in very good condition I had to jump all over that. I've since put about 300 rounds through it and it's been nothing short of perfect.

For future reference. As far as Maks go what would be the best one to look for, if there is a best one?
East German.

Jaymo
January 15, 2013, 11:45 PM
There's not really a bad mak.
Arsenal is Bulgarian. They're good. East Germans are good. Russians are good. Chinese are good.
Makarovs are good.
Period.
I wish I'd had the money to buy that pair of Bulgarian Maks for $250/both.
Just didn't have the money.

joneb
January 16, 2013, 03:16 AM
I agree.
I'd even take a CZ 82 over a plastic gun :D

Roadking Rider
January 16, 2013, 09:56 AM
I'd even take a CZ 82 over a plastic gun. Ouch! Man that's cold. :D I have to tell you though I love my CZ82. That thing is built like a tank and is one good looking, sweet shootin pistol.
After sleeping on it, I'm probably going to have to let that arsenial Mak slide.
:(
The money isn't there at the moment and I don't charge card guns. Thanks for your input gentilemen. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open for a Mak in the near future. RR

Wilbert
January 17, 2013, 04:15 AM
I found a Bulgarian a few months ago and decided that I needed one in my collection, so it was my birthday present to myself. Personally I'm not terribly impressed with the round, but with that said, I would never volunteer to be on the receiving end of a shot from a Mak. Placement is what really counts, and Makarovs definitely have the potential for more than adequate accuracy. For the right price, I say go for it. I agree with M2 Carbine on changing the springs. The Wolff springs are inexpensive. Best of luck!

P.S.
PICS PICS PICS

Dr.Doug
January 26, 2013, 12:02 AM
YEA
I have 3 Russians. They've always been reliable and, as another poster mentioned, built like a tank. Simple to operate. The down side, as mentioned, is the weight to power ratio. Would I part with mine? No. Buy one (or several) and have fun.

area51
January 26, 2013, 03:41 PM
To me, East German ones seem to be the best of the manufacturers.

I can attest to that.

rodinal220
January 27, 2013, 12:54 PM
Ya,the East German ones are the most desirable,better finish .Russian and Bulgarian make good working guns.I have a Chinese Mak and it has been very reliable and extremely accurate.
All my Maks run flawlessly,unlike some of my Walther PP/PPK series guns.

MagnunJoe
January 27, 2013, 02:20 PM
I know others think like me. The only reason I don't have a Mak is the ammo. Yet another caliber to add to the collection. Otherwise, I would be all over them.

Hurryin' Hoosier
January 27, 2013, 05:19 PM
I vote both "yay" and "yeah" - one vote for each of my Maks! :D

s12.aaxtell
January 27, 2013, 11:47 PM
I carry a makarov for CCW and really like it. My first handgun. Unfortunately all my usual websites are out of mak ammo (and some are charging up to 15 dollars a box for brown bear). I might have to start reloading I guess.

jimherb
January 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
Does what it is supposed to do without a hiccup.

lowercase
January 28, 2013, 03:25 PM
I vote "HEAVENS YES" on the Makarov.

I have 2 Bulgarian Maks. One is mint condition and one is an old ex-police "beater". I carry the "beater" in a Falco OWB holster and love the thing.

I'm mainly a revolver guy, and the Makarov is one of the only autos I carry.

returningfire
January 28, 2013, 03:42 PM
YAY!!!

TripleL
January 28, 2013, 05:42 PM
A big YAY! What other pistol can you barbeque and still trust your life with after a good soaking and cleaning?

The East German, well done!

After

The Arsenal, also well done.

After

HKGuns
January 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
They've never done anything for me, but I've not looked at them that hard. To my mind there are a lot of better alternatives out there. However, one would make an interesting addition to a collection. They're cheap as well so you haven't spent a whole lot to boot.

Pilot
January 28, 2013, 07:45 PM
^^^^^^^^

You should shoot one. They are damn accurate, and I've never, ever had one malfunction, and I have four of them and been shooting them longer than I want to admit. Two Bulgies, an East German and a Russian Commercial in .380. All flawless. They also carry easily, as they are slim, a bit heavy, but they're not that big so its not an issue.

HKGuns
January 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
^^^^ You're probably correct, I think I will.

jon_in_wv
January 28, 2013, 10:34 PM
The Makarov is a superb pistol. Other pistols at any price won't be much more accurate and practically none will be more reliable. Its a good shooter and a good carry piece. That being said, make sure you get a REAL Makarov. I think the Bulgarians are the best buy, the East Germans are very nice too but will command more money. Don't get one of the other "Makarovs" that only share the same caliber like the FEG, P64, etc......They are not up the quality of the true Maks. The CZ82s are great guns too. I don't have one of those. I should get one huh?

1911Tuner
January 28, 2013, 10:47 PM
In late...as usual.

Never owned one, so I can't speak from experience. I do have several friends who have, and the reports are pretty consistently that they're good, solid pistols that are perfectly adequate for the task...and a few own them in multiples...and these guys are very practical in their choices of sidearms. That says a lot.

Maybe I oughta pick one up and see what they're all about.

M2 Carbine
January 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
Got my 18th one this morning.:)
Very nice 9x18 Bulgarian for $319.

Fryerpower
January 29, 2013, 03:29 PM
I hate to ask, but 18th? Really? No wonder they are hard to find! :)

Jim

Zombiphobia
January 29, 2013, 03:31 PM
YAY buy one

gamestalker
January 29, 2013, 04:15 PM
I bought one back in the 1990's and absolutely love it. It shoots anything I load for it, and it is quite accurate.

But buying a handgun is like buying shoes, it needs to feel comfortable to you. I know a lot of folks that don't like to shoot my handguns, but to me they feel good, and I can hit what I'm aiming for.

GS

M2 Carbine
January 29, 2013, 06:14 PM
I hate to ask, but 18th? Really? No wonder they are hard to find!
When I first started buying Makarovs they were a little over $100. Many times when I went to a gun show, if nothing else I'd buy another Makarov. They are such good guns at such a low price I couldn't pass them up.
Add to that, most everyone that shot my Mak wanted one, so I'd sell them one and replace it with two more at the next show.
I'd have a lot more if people didn't keep taking them from me.:D

Yeah, I have to round them up and update the picture.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Maksall15-1.jpg

Wilbert
January 30, 2013, 01:28 AM
I had those black thumb rest grips on my bulgarian but didn't like them. I swapped them out for some red stars

TimboKhan
January 30, 2013, 02:06 AM
I like them enough that I have a Bulgarian Arsenal Mak on layaway at a pawn shop at this particular moment. I got a pretty good deal (250.00) on a gun that looks like brand new inside and out after pointing out that it didn't have the holster or a spare mag. Plus, it's nice to make a couple of payments on a gun as opposed to eating ramen for a couple of weeks, lol.

Honestly, I have talked to several people that carry them with absolute confidence, and I fully intend mine to be a truck gun that gets carried from time to time. I do, however, think I will spend the money at some point and get the slide with the Novak sights on it. But even the stock sights are workable. Not great, but workable.

Sergei Mosin
January 30, 2013, 03:01 AM
This thread is making me want a nice East German Makarov.

M2 Carbine
January 30, 2013, 07:45 AM
I had those black thumb rest grips on my bulgarian but didn't like them. I swapped them out for some red stars
I don't like them either.

When they first showed up the box contained a extra set of red star grips.

I leave the btrg on this refinished East German Makarov because they look good. Besides I never shoot this gun. The original owner never shot it after having it refinished and I don't shoot it either.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makchrome-1.jpg

Honestly, I have talked to several people that carry them with absolute confidence,
I'd carry the Makarov in a second.
The only reason I don't carry one is, for about the same weight and size I can carry a Crimson Trace laser equipped Kimber Ultra.

Crimson Trace won't make a laser for the Makarov because there is too much (small) variation between Maks, even the same brand.
For instance it took three tries before I found a Bulgarian Makarov that would function with this Bulgarian 22 conversion kit.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Mak22conversion.jpg

OilyPablo
January 30, 2013, 08:01 AM
The Polish P64 and Hungarian PA63 and CZ 82/83 are not Makarovs. They shoot the 9x18 rounds.

I thought the CZ-83 shoots .380 (9x17)?

I wish I could find a Mak around here. They suddenly went very scarce! I did however just buy two CZ-82's.

And the ammo isn't so cheap anymore (just like all other ammo!!!)

So ya verily definite ya! Good luck on your search.

M2 Carbine
January 30, 2013, 08:17 AM
I thought the CZ-83 shoots .380 (9x17)?
The CZ83 is chambered for the .32ACP, .380 and the 9x18 (I have all of them).
The .380 and 9x18 use the same magazine.

OilyPablo
January 30, 2013, 08:36 AM
The CZ83 is chambered for the .32ACP, .380 and the 9x18 (I have all of them).
The .380 and 9x18 use the same magazine.

Thanks for the info. Learned something before 05:00. Good day to be alive!

762 X 54r
January 30, 2013, 10:04 PM
If your woried about power carry your rifle. It is just a pistol round.

Also does the mak reliability go for the cz 82 as well?

husker
January 31, 2013, 02:49 AM
Thanks guys for all the info. I passed my CCW class last Saturday. Now I need the Mak
I would like adjustable rear sights, Is this an after market part?

M2 Carbine
Bottom row. Second one from the right. Thats what I would like to own.
Top right corner. I could live with that one to.

Fryerpower
January 31, 2013, 01:26 PM
Look for a newer production Russian IJ-70. They are not C&R and came with adjustable rear sites.

Jim

JoePfeiffer
January 31, 2013, 08:21 PM
Since people are also talking about CZ82 here... I've got one I love, but I wouldn't recommend it for CCW.

First, for either the Mak or the CZ you really want to shoot one before you buy. Recoil is pretty snappy for a round that is essentially a .380; it doesn't bother me, but my (25 year old) daughter once described it as "that horrible little gun that hurts my hand".

The big thing, though, is that the state of the art for concealable pistols has come a long ways since they were designed. I won't get in to the "what cartridge is big enough" fight; I'll just point out that you can get a pistol the size of a CZ or Mak that will shoot a 9mm, or you can buy a pistol that will shoot a 380 that's a lot smaller and doesn't have any worse recoil.

meanmrmustard
January 31, 2013, 08:25 PM

Also does the mak reliability go for the cz 82 as well?
Yes. The CZ82, IMHO, is the "battle pistol" of the four. It has the highest capacity and is built like the proverbial tank. Accurate AND reliable to boot.

I liken the order of pecking as thus:
CZ82/Makarov
P64
Feg PA63

The steel guns can handle the Buffalo Bore plus P, the FEG...they don't recommend it.

North Bender
January 31, 2013, 11:07 PM
For a "battle pistol" I'd take the Makarov - few semi auto handguns disassemble as easily. A paper clip is all that's needed to take a Makarov to the frame. Nobody in their right mind would try and get to the frame on a Vz-82, PA-63, P-64, P-83, FEG SMC 918 ...

Not everyone appreciates the workability of a Makarov; a lot of people don't care to completely understand (or clean) the workings of their firearms. But if you want to see an elegant simple design that allows you to be an instant home gunsmith the Makarov is a great choice.

hAkron
January 31, 2013, 11:18 PM
For a "battle pistol" I'd take the Makarov - few semi auto handguns disassemble as easily. A paper clip is all that's needed to take a Makarov to the frame. Nobody in their right mind would try and get to the frame on a Vz-82, PA-63, P-64, P-83, FEG SMC 918 ...

Not everyone appreciates the workability of a Makarov; a lot of people don't care to completely understand (or clean) the workings of their firearms. But if you want to see an elegant simple design that allows you to be an instant home gunsmith the Makarov is a great choice.

This is a very excellent point. I love my CZ 82, but I would hate to have to reassemble it. The design philosophy of this gun and the AK-47 are very similar - simple, accurate, serviceable, effective.

meanmrmustard
February 1, 2013, 07:42 AM
I love my CZ 82, but I would hate to have to reassemble it. Given, but other than parts replacement, for either the rare breakage or parts swapping for customization, why would you ever need to?

I've got thousands of rounds through mine, not counting what was put through it in the old country, and I've never needed nor wanted to take it all the way down to bits and pieces. It's like everything else, if its not broke don't fix it...they're built like tanks and run like Swiss watches if you leave them alone.;)

Albeit, not near the simplicity of a Mak, but just as trustworthy. Plus, where you getting a paper clip in a fire fight?

M2 Carbine
February 2, 2013, 12:28 AM
M2 Carbine
Bottom row. Second one from the right. Thats what I would like to own.
Top right corner. I could live with that one to.

That's the Russian with adjustable rear sight.

meanmrmustard
February 2, 2013, 06:52 AM
That's the Russian with adjustable rear sight.
I want that shiny one.

Come on, you don't shoot it!:neener:

jon_in_wv
February 2, 2013, 11:56 AM

People don't normally CCW rifles so when the discussion is about Makarovs and pistol ammo the introduction of rifles is really irrelevant. It gets a little tiring to have rifles interjected into every pistol conversation like saying rifles are more powerful is so profound that discussing pistol ammunition is just pointless.

At this point most people would agree you can effectively defend yourself with a 380/9x18 but it is less powerful than a 9mm or larger. Nobody is saying the Makarovs or the like are a better caliber, the discussion is more about the platform itself. I personally believe the Makarovs size, reliability, and accuracy make it a great defensive weapon aside from any caliber limitation it may have.

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarov ya or nay?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!