18.5" turkey?

PDA

coyote315
January 11, 2013, 06:36 AM
Gentlemen,
for your consideration: If I mounted the carleson 18.5" barrel with Remchoke on my 870 supermag, then put on my extra full turkey choke, would it function properly? I'm trying to lighten and make an easy swing for my 65 year old mother to hit turkeys and put them down :banghead: The barrel itself seems to get good reviews etc, i just didn't know if restricting the load so much over such a short time/distance of barrel travel would make it kinda "splodey!"

If you enjoyed reading about "18.5" turkey?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skyshot
January 11, 2013, 07:06 AM
It should be OK. With 18 inches of barrel it should get a full burn. I see no problem with it other than finding the load it likes the best. Good luck.

Uniquedot
January 11, 2013, 04:01 PM
The barrel should function just fine as long as it's not defective of course. I'm going to buy the same barrel...been planning to for a while now. Remington also sells an 18.5" remchoke barrel, but I don't know if it has the ball detent in the lug though. It should make an excellent compact turkey slayer.

gamestalker
January 11, 2013, 04:20 PM
I've used an 18.5" barrel shotgun for turket before, an 870 as a matte of fact and it did just fine. I used the extra full turkey chole too. It really seemed to pattern almost as good as my 28" 870's out to 30 yds..

My recomendation would be to go with copper plated BB. I've taken better than 30 turkey with copper plated BB, some out to 50 yds.. And if you can't find BB you can go with #4 buck, and although you'll be sacrificing some pellet count, #4 buck sure does do a good job on thsoe tough birds out to 50 yds..

GS

jmr40
January 11, 2013, 05:23 PM
Might work, but #2 is the largest shot legal for turkey here. Lots of guys kill 'em around here with 4,5, or 6 shot and turkey tubes out past 50 yards. I use 3" #5's. Work fine for me. Last bird I shot was nearly decapitated @ 30 yards.

There is no reason the 18.5" barrel won't work just fine, a little shorter than I'd want, but that is just personel preference. You may have to experiment a little with differnt chokes and loads to see what works best. Often the standard full choke proves to pattern better than the spendy aftermarket turkey tubes.

rcmodel
January 11, 2013, 09:41 PM
Yep!

We pulverize the head & neck with smaller shot around these parts.

Seems pretty sad to gut shoot them with buckshot & taint the meat with intestinal gore & goop!

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "18.5" turkey?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!