Oh, My God, You Can Make Your Own Bullets At Home?

PDA

vtail
January 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
I was talking with some friends the other day about the ammo shortage and I mentioned that I wasn't too worried about it because I reload almost all of what I shoot.

The person with them (obviously very anti-2A) said "You can make your own bullets at home?? Oh, my God, the government needs to do something about that!"

That got me to wondering why the anti's haven't brought that up yet.

Are there really that many people out there that aren't aware that reloading exists?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh, My God, You Can Make Your Own Bullets At Home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double Vision
January 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
I'm going to hazard a guess that most anti 2A types - and the public in general - are completely naiive about all aspects of firearms and only know what they are told by the media and government.

M-Cameron
January 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
"You can make your own bullets at home?? Oh, my God, the government needs to do something about that!"

did you ask them "why does the govt need to do anything about it?"

i can go down to walmart and buy as many as i want no questions asked.....but all of a sudden the govt needs to step in when i make them at home?

the antis arent going after it because the majority of gun owners dont reload ammo.......and its not even on their radar, nor is it 'cost effective' for them to take the time to fight it.

brnmw
January 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
It's just not something they think about I am sure, right now they seem to be focused on what they consider the "Big Picture", but as with everything else it's all a slippery slope when they are concerned... it's just further down the list right now.

vtail
January 11, 2013, 10:13 AM
I got the feeling she was equating it with making bombs at home.

berettaprofessor
January 11, 2013, 10:14 AM
Short answer, Yes. And even those who have heard of reloading and know of packaged, jacketed boat-tail bullets may be astonished to learn that we can melt down car wheel weights, fishing line sinkers, etc and make them.

To that Anti, you are a stranger from a foreign land, speaking in an unknown language of wonders never before thought of or even dreamed.

rdhood
January 11, 2013, 10:21 AM
Most street thugs, gang bangers, mentally deranged shooters, etc, do not reload. It is off the radar.

The second someone commits a mass shooting with reloads, though, all bets re off.

Hopkins
January 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
It wasn't too long ago,pre AWB, that a log of all sales of ammo that could be fired in a handgun had to be kept by all ammunition retailers in S.C. The log included who it was sold to and a DL#. IT was an enormous PITA that served absolutely no purpose. Senseless regulations that serve no purpose will be proposed and passed I fear.

Wyndage
January 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
Everyone who just watched the new "Jack Reacher" movie now knows that you can make your own ammunition.

taliv
January 11, 2013, 10:51 AM
these are the same people who probably don't realize that you can keep some chickens and make your own eggs at home without buying them from the store.

MErl
January 11, 2013, 10:59 AM
these are the same people who probably don't realize that you can keep some chickens and make your own eggs at home without buying them from the store.

those that may not realize this probably live somewhere it is prohibited by law though.

hmmm, livestock laws a parallel for 2A laws? nah, nevermind.

Just for fun, try explaining black powder & antique firearm laws. What do you mean you can buy a cap & ball through the mail?

huntsman
January 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
I was talking with some friends the other day about the ammo shortage and I mentioned that I wasn't too worried about it because I reload almost all of what I shoot.

The person with them (obviously very anti-2A) said "You can make your own bullets at home?? Oh, my God, the government needs to do something about that!"

Are there really that many people out there that aren't aware that reloading exists?
Rut Roh we're doomed you let the cat out of the bag ;) I always figured they'd take care of reloading through zoning, insurance and mortage companies

poboy6
January 11, 2013, 11:12 AM
These people literally devote no thought to firearms other than "they are bad. Why would anyone want to own a gun, let alone multiple guns?"

Many of the news stories lately have these Anti panelists who say things like "these guns are capable of firing off many rounds per minute" and "Adam Lanza had hundreds of rounds of ammunition".

DUH. It's a shame that people no longer try to actually learn about subjects before talking about them.

LubeckTech
January 11, 2013, 11:21 AM

What?? You can do that?????

Next people will figure out a way to make their own wine!!!

Killian
January 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
Smelting the lead can be a pain. And shaping the brass into exactly dimensioned cartridge cases is a real bear. Precisely measuring the exact chemical components for smokeless powder almost equally as bad. And of course fashioning primers that work effectively and can be fitted into a centerfire cartridge is semi difficult...

My point is that it isn't exactly "making" bullets. It's reusing already fashioned bullets.

So if the topic comes up again...tell them it is "recycling", reusing already fashioned bullets so that new trees don't have to be cut down to make more. :)

youngda9
January 11, 2013, 11:37 AM
Attempt to educate the ignorant.

Skribs
January 11, 2013, 11:42 AM
Wait a minute taliv, eggs come from chickens? I thought they were made at the grocery store!

Hypnogator
January 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
That's one of the things that concerns 2nd Amendment advocates about the (now sort-of defunct) UN treaty proposal. It would have required Gov't licensing of any "ammunition manufacturing" including hobby reloaders. :what::uhoh:

desidog
January 11, 2013, 12:36 PM
Based on the higher level of KaBooms that happen with someone messing up their handloads than happen with factory ammo, I foresee more accidents if and when ammunition restrictions push dimwits to roll their own...

TennJed
January 11, 2013, 12:50 PM
This is probably true. When I started reloading a few years ago, non gun people (not necessarly anti, just don't have guns) would be fascinated with the concept. They were honestly worried that I might blow the whole street up. Education is very important

brnmw
January 11, 2013, 12:55 PM

Wow, hold on a second.. wait... chickens lay eggs too... you don't just eat chicken at KFC! ;)

beatledog7
January 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
Some people I've talked with about reloading were shocked that it's legal to build ammo, and one guy suggested that a house where that is done should be quarantined or something. I remind them that lots of people blow themselves up trying to deep fry a turkey, and there are KBs from badly reloaded rounds, but I've never heard of anyone getting badly hurt while at the reloading bench.

Ammo restrictions and taxes may in fact drive people to reload, and some of these new reloaders may fail to educate themselves on proper technique, safety, QC, etc. That's why I'm getting my NRA cert to teach reloading.

Romeo 33 Delta
January 11, 2013, 01:16 PM
Skribs ... it's true. Back in the early '60s I attended a boarding high school. My sophomore year roommate was a Chicago kid who told me that his father, when he found out that milk came from a cow ... stopped drinking milk. I guess he thought it was a product like soda or beer ... you know, made in some factory on a big machine!:banghead:

UKWildcatFan
January 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
Oh my, you can build your own?!?! I've never heard such a thing. I don't know ANYTHING about reloading, at ALL!!! Totally clueless.

cambeul41
January 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
Most of us have heard of the person who supposedly said, “To all you hunters who kill animals for food, shame on you; you ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed.”

What I don't know is whether anyone actually believes it. I have met people who try to suppress thinking of where meat, milk, and eggs come from.

Manco
January 11, 2013, 01:53 PM
Wait a minute taliv, eggs come from chickens? I thought they were made at the grocery store!

Don't be silly--eggs come from eggplants, of course!

Wow, hold on a second.. wait... chickens lay eggs too... you don't just eat chicken at KFC! ;)

Is there actually a plural form of the word chicken? You speak as though they were individual living creatures instead of a type of meat made from non-living things like plants. :confused:;)

Spats McGee
January 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
SSSSHHHHH! Let's not go giving 'em any ideas.

Rembrandt
January 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
Don't forget that it was either the Germans or Russians who ran short on bullet material and resorted to making wooden bullets. Even "Mythbusters" tried making "Ice Bullets".....

Queen_of_Thunder
January 11, 2013, 04:32 PM
Its OK. We are recycling. Its good for the Planet. Did you hear WalMart had a sell on yogurt. Thought I would pick some up after my yoga class. Say have you tried the new organic veggie burger

4v50 Gary
January 11, 2013, 04:36 PM

A chicken in my area was seen flying. Of course, it was being carried away by another bird. So, I'd have to build a raptor and bear proof chicken tractor.

Back on topic, casting and reloading makes the hobby affordable. I now have a Corbin Press so swaging is the next step for me.

dragon813gt
January 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
Should have told these people exactly how it's done. Once they found it was with tools they'd want the tool makers shut down. Then when they realized that people could make the tools at home they'd want the tools to make the tools banned. It's a never ending loop of stupidness.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

Grassman
January 11, 2013, 05:04 PM
Don't forget that it was either the Germans or Russians who ran short on bullet material and resorted to making wooden bullets. Even "Mythbusters" tried making "Ice Bullets".....
Huh, wooden boolits.....Time to ban lathes and pocket knives now.

JVaughn
January 11, 2013, 05:12 PM

Also possible. Maybe also legal? If you don't use it to hurt anyone, is there any law against it?

Tirod
January 11, 2013, 05:46 PM

You can put up solar panels and go off the grid, and heat your home with wood.

You can have a natural gas compressor hooked up to your gas line and use it to power your car. And homeschool your own kids. Cut your own hair. Roof your own house. Build your own pool deck. Process your own meat, cook it, and live. Milk your own cow and drink the fluid raw! Even water out of the ground!

You can build a home, a car, even an gun, all perfectly legal. People don't know squat about life. I call them zombies, but they more closely resemble their political party's mascot. :evil:

Dr_B
January 11, 2013, 06:50 PM

Yes, she probably was. I am willing to be that all individuals I know who are anti-gun, and a fair portion of those who aren't, think that cartridges are explosives. They think cartridges explode when dropped, become unstable like dynamite, etc...

Her fear is dangerous and at the same time hilarious. Can you imagine a spree shooter who buys a gun with the intention of using it that one time to commit the crime, and then invests hours of his time learning how to reload cartridges?

Nope, doesn't make much sense. But I think to an anti, the real issue is that they just aren't comfortable with people having that equipment. Its uncivilized. Its dangerous because we don't know what someone might do with that freedom.

tallpaul
January 11, 2013, 06:59 PM

actually big gov tied to pass legislation to keep track of this very thing- even small livestock would have to be registered etc. I had chickens and had them for over a year before some idiot several miles away- not even a neighbor filed a complaint and it was found to be valid. I asked before I ever got them and the girl forgot to ask if Ihad an acre or more- whick was needed... I have but a 1/4 acre... I got them again last year but am illegal. Several cites around me passed laws saying a half dozen or so are legal but no roosters and I figure take me to court- am I less of a citizen than thise folks? Ya can have a garden and they say no agriculture...

big gov't and a lot of ignotant folk do not want anyone to be self sufficient not able to protect themselves- it is truly not just a gun thing! Buying land out away to have a small farm etc is being restricted more n more- it is even a United Nations agenda! Out fore fathers would be sick to see what folks are doing!

CraigC
January 11, 2013, 07:02 PM
Far too many ignorant people, completely detached from reality, in my opinion. Unfortunately, they vote too.

sonick808
January 11, 2013, 07:11 PM
LOL, I chuckle everytime someone talks about ammo control, microstamping etc. Reloading completely negates it all, so those schemes would never, ever work. Unless they want to criminalize everything up to a lee hand press and shell holders ? funnels ? scoops ? lol

Old Fuff
January 11, 2013, 07:19 PM
You didn't explain that you used your home made ammunition in the AR-15 Rifle you assembled in your basement? :what: :evil:

They are such children... :rolleyes:

Vern Humphrey
January 11, 2013, 07:19 PM
In Kenya (guess who we know that comes from there?) it is illegal to handload -- and it carries the death penalty.

beatledog7
January 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
Making the reloading bench illegal would work about as well making meth labs illegal.

Ratshooter
January 11, 2013, 08:32 PM

I believe it was the japs that made wood bullets. The Marines issued tweasers to remove the splinters.:neener:

Nanook
January 11, 2013, 08:37 PM
My own father and brother, neither of them shooters, took a look at my bench and asked me "Is that legal?"

I explained to them, that not only is it legal, but there are books and magazines you can buy at any book store about the process. They were amazed, since they knew nothing about the subject.

And my father was a WWII veteran. He only handled guns when he was in the service, and not before or after. Not a gun guy.

VVelox
January 11, 2013, 08:51 PM
Smelting the lead can be a pain. And shaping the brass into exactly dimensioned cartridge cases is a real bear. Precisely measuring the exact chemical components for smokeless powder almost equally as bad. And of course fashioning primers that work effectively and can be fitted into a centerfire cartridge is semi difficult...

My point is that it isn't exactly "making" bullets. It's reusing already fashioned bullets.

So if the topic comes up again...tell them it is "recycling", reusing already fashioned bullets so that new trees don't have to be cut down to make more. :)
Fashioning primers is the only hard part there.

Smokeless powder is easy to do as long as basic chemistry hardware is available to the public.

The smokeless powder part is only an issue in the event of a collapse of society or very heavy restrictions on basic chemistry hardware.

It makes a very fun research project actually. I like to ask myself if society fell apart, how would I go about manufacturing something. When it came to propellent it turned out that nitrocellulose is actually easier than black powder. The reason for this is nitric acid is a bit of a PITA to make, but still far easier than finding a sulfur source

Dean Weingarten
January 11, 2013, 10:06 PM
Yes, sulfur can be a problem. When the conquistadores were running low on gun powder in the middle of conquering the Aztecs, they had to lower some men down into a volcano to get the sulfur.

Brave men, and resourceful.

BHP FAN
January 11, 2013, 10:20 PM
Well folks, I hate to tell you, but the secret is out. it's the real purpose of the lead ammo ban here in California [well, down in Southern CA, anyways] and it has nothing to do with Condors.

Elkins45
January 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
Restrictions on reloading components have been floated before. Google "gunpowder tagging" to read more.

climbnjump
January 11, 2013, 10:36 PM
Say have you tried the new organic veggie burger

It was delicious after I mixed it with some organic venison!

horsemen61
January 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
Why yes you can and I do so

Yosemite Sam
January 11, 2013, 10:39 PM
hmmm, livestock laws a parallel for 2A laws? nah, nevermind.

I prefer my ammunition free-range as well. :neener:

Queen_of_Thunder
January 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
Restrictions on reloading components have been floated before. Google "gunpowder tagging" to read more.
Its probably tagged. To really get you worked up did you know that anything you run through a copy machine can be traced back to the very machine that made the copy.

rondog
January 11, 2013, 10:55 PM
Heh, this reminds me of a story a LEO told on some gun forum, maybe here, of a call he got about an "explosive device" someone found in their rental car. He got to the scene, and found a whole family trembling in terror in a parking lot because there was a shotgun shell rolling around in their rented minivan.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/smilies/onoz_omg.gifhttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/smilies/onoz_omg.gifhttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/smilies/onoz_omg.gifhttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/smilies/onoz_omg.gifhttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/smilies/onoz_omg.gif

climbnjump
January 11, 2013, 11:13 PM
I prefer my ammunition free-range as well.

Sadly, I will admit that I raise my ammo from small components into fully assembled rounds in my deep, dark basement. I them keep them locked up there - in the dark.

Until one day, when the time is right, I search through the inventory to find just the right one - the one box whose time has come.

Then - and only then - do we venture out into the bright daylight. I take a moment to introduce the round to the magazine, then the magazine to the the final instrument of freedom. Then as I press the trigger, I exclaim, "Fly little bullet, FLY! Be FREE! Be FREE!" It feels so good, knowing that I had assembled them so well.

HOOfan_1
January 11, 2013, 11:16 PM
Oh, my God, the government needs to do something about that!"

Pretty sad that some people just can't live their life without having the government tell them how to live it.

vtail
January 11, 2013, 11:53 PM
In Kenya (guess who we know that comes from there?) it is illegal to handload -- and it carries the death penalty.
So I guess Kenya is not a real prime market for MidwayUSA?

Elkins45
January 12, 2013, 12:30 AM
Cite, please. I searched this and didn't find it in the first several links. That seems harsh even by third world tinpot dictator standards.

michaelbsc
January 12, 2013, 01:04 AM

Well, you can make those, too. But they get upset if they find out. And frankly, I'm not sorry to see McVeigh gone.

Just because you *CAN* do something doesn't mean you should.

Although, admittedly, McVeigh's ethical crime was murder. I'm not willing to say he shouldn't have been free to blow up his own truck on his own property.

Fishslayer
January 12, 2013, 02:03 AM
i can go down to walmart and buy as many as i want no questions asked.....but all of a sudden the govt needs to step in when i make them at home?

The .gov is already working on the first part & no doubt will eventually get around to the second part.

Lost Sheep
January 12, 2013, 03:04 AM
Also possible. Maybe also legal? If you don't use it to hurt anyone, is there any law against it?
Well, yes, they have passed laws against making bombs, even if they are not intended for use. If it falls under the definition of "destructive device" it is illegal to own or manufacture unless you have the proper license.

US Code, 26 U.S.C. § 5845(F)

There are exemptions for certain things, like line throwing devices and such.

Lost Sheep

Lost Sheep
January 12, 2013, 03:05 AM
You can put up solar panels and go off the grid, and heat your home with wood.

You can have a natural gas compressor hooked up to your gas line and use it to power your car. And homeschool your own kids. Cut your own hair. Roof your own house. Build your own pool deck. Process your own meat, cook it, and live. Milk your own cow and drink the fluid raw! Even water out of the ground!

You can build a home, a car, even an gun, all perfectly legal. People don't know squat about life. I call them zombies, but they more closely resemble their political party's mascot. :evil:
The more common term I have seen is "sheeple".

A lot of Germans in the 1930s were good citizens, obeying every law and following orders. I don't know if it is a harbinger of this country's future, but I have little doubt that SOME (not all, but some) anti-gun people would think highly of the control that allowed Kristallnacht to go virtually unchallenged and the gun control laws enacted in the American South after the Civil War, intended to keep freed slaves unarmed and subordinate. And currently in a panic logic mode to keep us safe from these mass murderers in an ill-informed belief that hiding and waiting to be found is a better survival tactic than fighting back and that those people who fear self-reliance in others have the right to dictate my survival choices.

Lost Sheep

p.s. In every other instance where the term "the people" is used in the Constitution of the United States it was intended and has been construed throughout history to be a reference to individuals, not a collective - except recently in the arguments of those who would make the reference to "militia" more important than the reference to "free state".

gspn
January 12, 2013, 03:18 AM
So which do you need to get first...the chicken? Or the egg?

barnbwt
January 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
Otta get a camera and take some "reaction shots" of these folks when I bring up the Weapons Guild or Weaponeer webpage...:eek::what: We've got to ban parts kits, blueprints, and steel bar stock now!

TCB

Vern Humphrey
January 12, 2013, 04:27 PM
I believe it was the japs that made wood bullets. The Marines issued tweasers to remove the splinters.
It was the Germans. The idea was a wooden bullet is much lighter than a lead bullet, and can be fired at much higher velocity. They never intended to make rifle bullets out of wood, only pistol bullets.

The Swedes made wooden bullets for rifles, and had an attatchment on the muzzle of the rifle to break up the wood. The idea was a blank cartridge for training that had something approaching real recoil.

figment
January 12, 2013, 04:33 PM
I dont think "you can make your own bullets at home" flies in the strict sense of being outside of governmental control (industry). Ever made your own brass or primers from scratch?

animator
January 12, 2013, 04:52 PM
Otta get a camera and take some "reaction shots" of these folks when I bring up the Weapons Guild or Weaponeer webpage...:eek::what: We've got to ban parts kits, blueprints, and steel bar stock now!

TCB
I was going to make a similar comment along the lines of if they were so scared at the thought of making ammunition at home, maybe they should see my garage and all the AK-47s I've built... :D

BHP FAN
January 12, 2013, 04:55 PM
they wouldn't know whether to defecate or go blind.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh, My God, You Can Make Your Own Bullets At Home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!