Bodygaurd vs LCP: Opinions

PDA

gator1gear
January 11, 2013, 09:02 PM
I looked at a S&W Bodyguard today, and I thought it was a REALLY nice gun! I have a question for you guys and gals that's handled both the LCP, and the Bodyguard. Which one do you prefer and why? I held them both at the store today, and for the most part, I am more impressed with the Bodyguard. I know that in the end, the only thing that matters is how I feel about it. That being said, I would like to hear what you guys and gals think too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bodygaurd vs LCP: Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cowtownup
January 11, 2013, 09:15 PM
I have a bodyguard and its a nice gun.. I've not had any problems with it.. However, I bought it on an impulse buy and have since wished I would have gotten a sub compact 40 or 9mm carry gun... But, I don't plan on selling it because I've acquired a substantial amount of ammo for it.. I've not really carried it concealed but the shoot thru wallet holster is pretty nifty... I will warn you, you will want to wear ear protection to shoot it... Its a loud little mother... Good luck...

2wheels
January 11, 2013, 09:18 PM
Haven't shot the LCP, but I did not like the 2 Bodyguards I have shot.

Most of the reason I didn't like it was related to the trigger, which frankly... Sucks... I'm not opposed to a decent double action trigger, but I hated the BGs trigger. Too long, too heavy, and it stacks a good amount. I can shoot decent groups with my J-frame, which isn't known for its awesome DAO trigger, but I struggled with the Bodyguard.

The controls, weren't easy for me to use, too low profile. Especially the safety, makes me wonder why they put it on there anyways. With that trigger, WHY do I need a safety?

The laser activation method could be better, I only like grip activated lasers. But oh well.

On the whole? It goes bang and it's small+lightweight, but my P238 shoots circles around it.

dbb1776
January 11, 2013, 09:31 PM
Shot the Lcp. No problem hitting phone books at 10yds. My wife shoots it well also.

Mrdinks
January 11, 2013, 09:41 PM
I have the the bodyguard, very accurate little gun. I went through this a year ago and most people went with the bodyguard. I'm sure they are both great guns.

I am the NRA, sent with Tapatalk 2

beatledog7
January 11, 2013, 09:50 PM
I have not shot either one, but the LCP fits better in my hand and points the better of the two. "Better" actually means "less badly," for me. I could not cleanly draw either from a pocket holster because there was just not enough to get hold of in a firing grip.

The LCP was also a lot more numerous at the most recent (albeit pre-SH) show I attended.

BSnyder
January 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
I went through the same thing. Went back and forth but ended up with the Bodyguard. It just felt better to me than the LCP. And yes, the trigger sucks and it's hard to pull from a pocket holster, but it's been my most carried gun because it's the easiest to carry. Yes, I am lazy. I never shot the LCP but the Bodyguard is not fun to shoot. I put a hundred rounds through it one afternoon for function testing and the next day it felt like someone had smashed my hand with a 2x4. Definitely not a range toy.

Johnny Lightning
January 11, 2013, 11:56 PM
I carry an lcp but have shot my friends bodyguard and feel the bodyguard is an upgrade from an lcp. The bodyguard has alot of nice features the lcp doesn't have.

hardluk1
January 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Please give the taurus TCP a look. Splits the weight between the BG and LCP. Has a far better trigger pull than ether . LGS prices run from 185 bucks to 260 LGS price depending on model.

Hunter991
January 12, 2013, 09:30 AM
I have the bodyguard. Great little gun and haven't had any issues. Shoots well too.

kokapelli
January 12, 2013, 09:41 AM
I have shot both and second the TCP recommendation over both, or if you really want the best in pocket 380's try a P238.

bannockburn
January 12, 2013, 12:04 PM
Between the two I prefer the Bodyguard. Better overall feel and comfort, better sights (plus laser), and better DA trigger.

Bassleg
January 13, 2013, 01:50 AM
I had a Bodyguard 380 and sent it back to S&W 3 times for lite primer strikes and finely
just have them send me my money back I now have a TCP shoots great!

Robbins290
January 13, 2013, 08:46 AM
Between the lcp and the bodyguard, I would have went with the bodyguard. It felt better in my hand. Comes with a laser. Plus I hated the trigger on the lcp. If I didn't handle the p238. I woulda went with the s&w. I still want one. But I've been funding other gun projects. Let us know which one you get

Lethal Threat
January 13, 2013, 10:09 AM
I have both, and carry each depending on dress. The LCP does not have the laser built in and conceals a little easier in docks. I do like the Bodyguard and wish S&W would make the same without the laser.

cwcoolcow
January 13, 2013, 10:18 AM
I carry my LCP everyday. I've also put about 300 down range with a friend's Bodyguard. IMHO You can't go wrong with either. If they both "feel" good to you take the best deal. :-)

RH45
January 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
I tried them both, last year.
I think the triggers on both guns pretty much suck, but, in my opinion, most factory guns have trigger pulls that suck.:what:
I liked that the Ruger was smaller, making it easier to conceal/carry, but, it also made it more difficult to get a decent grip.
In the end, I bought a Bodyguard, because it fit my hand a little better, and I thought it was a better value, with the laser. I put a little paint on the sights, because they were too hard for me to pick up quickly.
I don't keep track of how many rounds I put through my guns, but, I've not had any issues with mine. The first time I shot mine, if anybody would have seen the target I shot it at, I would have been embarrassed, but, now that I've dry-fired it a little, and shot it some more, I can pretty much keep all of the shots in the head zone of an IDPA, or USPSA target at 15 yards.:)

jon_in_wv
January 13, 2013, 05:23 PM
The size difference and concealability of the two are negligible. Both are very accurate but the better sights on the BG380 make it a lot easier to shoot the BG well. The final factor for me was the construction. The BG uses a slightly heavier slide and and a much beefier barrel. The chamber of the LCP at its thinnest point is literally paper thin while the chamber of the BG in the same spot is three times thicker. I wouldn't feel comfortable firing any of the hotter 380 loads in an LCP. Since 380 is considered a marginal caliber I want the option to fire whatever ammo I want in it. I sold my LCP not long after I bought my BG380 and its one of the few guns I don't miss because I feel the BG was a solid upgrade and didn't give up anything in the process.

Captcurt
January 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
Please give the taurus TCP a look. Splits the weight between the BG and LCP. Has a far better trigger pull than ether . LGS prices run from 185 bucks to 260 LGS price depending on model.
I have had all three and prefer the TCP. I will be happy when they have a model with a laser. The trigger is better like Hardluk stated. About half as heavy as the Smith or Ruger. If you want the laser sight the bodyguard is less likely to be turned on by accident. The Ruger seemed to be real easy to turn on in a soft De Santi holster.

TreeDoc
January 14, 2013, 01:48 AM
I'd have to vote bodyguard. I have shot both and although the lcp does offer ease of carry in many different locations, the bodyguard slips right into my front pocket. I can have my hand on the gun, concealed in my front pocket if needed and no one is the wiser. I also take the revolver as a 'tacklebox' gun when fishing or camping. Couple of snake shot loads followed by some 158s and a couple of strips for insurance. The single action helps a little bit in the outdoors, but it ain't a target gun. Have been working on point shooting and at 5 to 7 yards is very effective.

helitack32f1
January 14, 2013, 03:10 AM
I am a former owner of an LCP. I sold my LCP with the idea of going with the Bodyguard because it fit my hand better. With the LCP, I had to readjust my grip after every shot and that really annoyed me. I never got the Bodyguard because I came to the conclusion that I have no need for a pocket .380. If I do decide to go for another pocket .380, it would most likely be the Taurus TCP, despite all the negativity toward Taurus. Good price, fits my hand better than the other two.

Dream .380 would be the Sig p238 though.

MedWheeler
January 14, 2013, 08:19 AM
TreeDoc, I think the OP is comparing the LCP to the BodyGuard .380, not the .38. Smith and Wesson makes both, and sells them both under the "BodyGuard" moniker.

snooperman
January 14, 2013, 08:32 AM
I also prefer the Taurus TCP 380. Better trigger , easy to shoot, and easy to rack the slide for my wife and very reliable too. Life time warranty and a lower price tag make it a winner in pocket guns.

Ehtereon11B
January 15, 2013, 01:28 AM
Used the Bodyguard .380 as a pocket pistol and could not get rid of it fast enough. Trigger pull was measured at over 15 pounds since that is how far my scale goes. Sent it back to S&W only to get it back 2 months later dirty from test firing, found that the trigger pull was "within acceptable standards." Sold it the day after that.

Fiv3r
January 15, 2013, 11:11 AM
I actually went with the LCP after handling the two:confused: What it came down to was that neither fit my hand. However, I don't have massive meaty mitts like some of you fine upstanding yetis;)

The trigger pull on both of them seemed about as sucky as you can get, but that's the safety feature of a pocket pistol. What it came down to was that I wanted the thinnest, lightest, least printing BUG with the fewest things to go wrong with it. After the LGS owner let me pocket both guns, I went with the LCP because it fit my pockets better and didn't have the laser.

I get the idea of a laser and still might pick one up one day. However, the LCP is the rough and dirty pocket gun that goes with me every day. Sweat, grime, pocket lint, etc. Don't get me wrong, I take care of my guns. It gets a wipe down as needed and a function check weekly. That said, a battery powered laser is just one more thing for Murphy and his damnable law to interfere with at the worst moment.

At 7 yards I can quickly empty 7 rounds into paper plate at chest/neck level. That's all I'm asking my pocket gremlin to do. The next step up for me isn't a "nicer" .380 or pocket 9, it's subcompact 9mm.

I keep the little bugger in my back left pocket with a reload
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/Steely_Gunz/2013-01-15_09-03-51_90_zpsec449303.jpg

jon_in_wv
January 15, 2013, 09:01 PM
I don't know why people that are so picky about trigger pulls would buy a tiny, plastic pocket pistol with a DAO trigger. Its small, light, has a short sight radius, etc......no kidding its harder to shoot. Use proper technique and they are not that hard to master. I actually shoot my Bodyguard as well or better than many of my other pistols. I've been able to pick off clay pigeons on the 25yard berm on the range. I don't know how much more accurate than that it needs to be. The fact they as capable as they are is impressive. If you need better you are probably looking at the wrong class of pistol and shoot be looking at something larger.

Adam the Gnome
January 15, 2013, 09:04 PM
Do not know about the bodyguard but do own the LCP. Sights suck but aren't totally useless. Could hit the milk jug at 10 yards 5 outta 7. Follow up shots are quick and not a lot of recoil.

Sent from my evil black phone

Roadking Rider
January 15, 2013, 09:07 PM
If it were me I'd buy the LCP or P3at. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I haven't heard s lot of good things about the BG. Hope your works out well for you.

hardluk1
January 16, 2013, 06:15 AM
Buy a taurus 738 tcp and have the better of the 3

jon_in_wv
January 16, 2013, 11:07 AM
If it were me I'd buy the LCP or P3at. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I haven't heard s lot of good things about the BG. Hope your works out well for you.

I don't think you can "rain on people's parade" by saying you have an opinion based on what you heard rather than actual experience with both weapons. I've owned both carried both, and shot 100s of rounds through both. You aren't raining on my parade at all.

CSG
April 27, 2013, 09:25 PM
I recently went through this when I decided to finally get a bigger front pocket pistol than my Beretta 950 .25. I carried that for years with 9 rounds of hardball because it was small and reliable. However, like most folks, you always had second thoughts about a .25. I was a deputy sheriff in an earlier life and many of us carried a .25 as a backup. However, we didn't have the little .380's and 9mm's like now.

Anyway, I usually carry a PM9 or S&W 442 but neither is a pocket gun for me and with where I live, even the .25 was probably more than I needed. I'd heard of all these new little .380's and stopped by the LGS a week ago. Of all of them, for POCKET carry, the LCP was far and away the best fit for me and I impulsively bought it. Had some .380 from the old days and was able to get 100 rounds of CCI Blazer and 60 rounds of the generally well thought of Speer Gold Dot. I painted the front sight with flat white Testor's enamel after my first session outside. So far, it's run flawlessly with everything I've put through it with its included mag and the two extra Italian made spared I got off ebay. It rides in my Mika pocket holster that was made for the Beretta.

I've read a lot about this pistol now and some of the issues some folks have had. All I can say is that for pocket carry in a pocket holster, the LCP fits the bill for me perfectly. If I feel I need more then an IWB holster and the PM9 or 442 are with me. If I'm in the backcountry on a hike or SAR call, I carry an FNP45 or Kimber Compact CDP .45.

But for town, the little LCP is a winner.

jon_in_wv
April 27, 2013, 10:31 PM
I've owned both and I prefer the BG380.

1. Better trigger. I don't think the pull is any different than the LCP but short stroking a BG380 will not give you dead trigger and you have second strike capability.
2. No "smileys" or bullet setback caused by the next round hitting the bottom of the feed ramp like the LCP.
3. Much, much better sights
4. Safety, if you choose to use it.

Both are good pistols but the I think the design of the BG380 makes it safer with heavier or more robust 380 ammo. The LCP is a fine pistol but I solidly prefer the BG380.

kokapelli
April 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
Buy a taurus 738 tcp and have the better of the 3
I want to second that and also suggest the real jewel of the pocket 380's, the Sig P238.

breakingcontact
April 28, 2013, 12:06 AM
BG380

- Feels more like a gun should feel
- Good sights for this size of a gun
- Thumb safety is hard to sweep off quickly
- Laser buttons are completely wonky
- Long AND heavy trigger

LCP

- OK trigger
- next to non-existent sights
- extremely popular

I got out of the pocket gun game. Pick either, you should be fine. I prefer the BG380 but like the LCP too.

HadEmAll
April 28, 2013, 05:26 AM
I had the Bodyguard, and have an LCP.

The Bodyguard laser is cool, the sights are real, and drift adjustable, (though I never had to drift mine) and the slide locks back on an empty magazine.
These are features the standard LCP doesn't have.

The trigger is no better than, and actually a little stiffer than the LCP's.

I only had one malfunction with the BG 380, but it was a serious one. Fortunately happened at the range. I fired the first shot of a new magazine, and the second shot attempt got a "CLICK".

I retracted the slide to find no round in the chamber. I initially thought I had accidentally ejected the magazine. It was seated fine. I tried to chamber the next round, and couldn't get the slide back far enough to do so. I fiddled with it for a day or so, couldn't get it fixed, and finally called S&W.

The rep I was talking to immediately said that it sounded like the setscrew for the laser had backed out, as though he had heard it before, and issued me the RA.

On its return, it worked as before, perfectly. But I couldn't get that backed out setscrew out of my mind. I knew I could Locktite it, but it's a tiny thing, and I could picture it stripping trying to get it out next time I needed to change batteries.

While it was gone, I had plenty of time to rekindle my affection for my LCP.

The LCP is so simple and reliable. I have had two, and never had a malfunction.

So, since the BG380 or LCP are for me, only a backup anyway, and a weakside pocket gun, simple won out, and the LCP stayed.

But the BG380 in my experience is a fine weapon, and if I hadn't had that one incident, would probably still have it.

Edited to add:Flourescent Orange fingernail polish on the front sight makes for a quick close range combat sight picture, and is surprisingly durable. I bought a whole bottle, put two coats on, letting it dry for a day between coats, and have never had to reapply, even with many draws and reinsertions from the Blackhawk pocket holster I carry the LCP in.

My carry rounds are primarily Speer Gold Dot 90 grain JHPs, or Winchester Ranger 95 grain JHPs.

breakingcontact
April 28, 2013, 10:37 AM
That's a good way to sum up the LCP: simple. S&W should have left the laser off (and many would argue the thumb safety) and they may have had a simpler and better pistol.

I so prefer the good sights, slide hold open and the overall feel of the BG380 but Ruger was right to keep of simple by not including a laser.

CSG
April 28, 2013, 12:41 PM
Actually, I think the laser for the LCP is damn near a necessity for us older guys. I painted my front blade flat white shortly after acquiring it. After realizing how limited it still was, I went back and spent time with the laser versions. I opted for the LaserMax vs. the CT due to its positive on off switch. To me, that provides a tactical advantage. The guys who think they'll fumble under a stress situation with that on/off switch have probably not trained, especially when they say all they'll have to do is adjust pressure of the grip switch of the CT to turn it on or off. Well, CT has seen the light and has introduced a positive on/off switch on a new model more like the LM.

When you get to the aging eyes stage of life, I think you'll find a laser site, especially in the dark, will be something one appreciates. Meanwhile, paint the front ramp of any black front sight white. It picks up better in low light. Orange will appear almost black

giggitygiggity
April 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
LCP hands down. The Bodyguard tried to be a big gun instead of being a pocket pistol. What I mean is it has full sights, levers, built in laser, etc which degrades its ability to be slim-lined and concealable. The LCP on the other hand is simple, light, and concealable. It fullfills its purpose of being small, slim, and concealable.

jon_in_wv
April 29, 2013, 10:27 AM
There is VERY little difference in carrying the BG380 vs the LCP. The levers, if you want to call them that, are very unobtrusive. Dimensionally they are extremely close with the exception of the larger front due to the laser, which I agree they could have done without. The sights of the LCP are a bit more snag resistant for obvious reasons but on the other end they aren't nearly as visible either. I would have much rather seen the BG380 with a front night sight than a laser.

BTW, my laser quit working a few weeks after I bought it. I haven't even bothered to send it back to get repaired. I don't really have a use for it.

Personally, I kind of see two different strengths or roles for the two. If you need a small pistol for deep concealment, and are carrying only that pistol, the BG380 stands out as a better shooter and more versatile pistol. If you are looking solely for a really small BUG then the LCP because of its slightly smaller size and smoother profile probably has the edge. If I still have my LCP I would have a weak side holster made so I can carry my spare mag for my 3913 with an LCP right behind it. I think they would have been a great role for it.

All that being said, the LCP I had and the BG380 I still have are WAY more accurate than they have any right to be. Neither of them is a "belly gun" (man I hate that term, it rates right up there with dum-dums) and both can be shot well at any reasonable distance with a little practice.

Bassleg
April 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
I had a BG380 and sent it back 3 times for lite primer strikes on trip #3 I ask for my money
back I now have a TCP380 that works just fine.

jon_in_wv
April 29, 2013, 11:10 AM
Every manufacturer has a lemon once in a while. Normally S&Ws customer service is pretty good. I'm surprised you didn't get your problem resolved. I'm no fan of Taurus but I have heard a lot of good things about the TCP380.

jigglyjames29
April 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
Old thread. I'm sure he's already made his choice.

Anyway, the LCP got a small update for 2013. Significantly better trigger and larger sights.
Put a hogue hybrid grip and a 13lb wolf spring and it should be a much more comfortable shooter.
Oh, and you can get the magguts mag kit that adds a round without making the mag any larger.

I wouldn't get the TCP. Spotty quality from all the reviews I've read on the taurus forum.

jon_in_wv
April 29, 2013, 09:03 PM
Well, maybe it will be useful to someone else making a similar choice.

witchhunter
April 30, 2013, 01:59 AM
I carry my LCP everywhere, that is what it is intended to do, ride in my back pocket. Terrible trigger, no sights, but I have it with me always. That is it's beauty. My guns with nice sights and great triggers ride in the truck. Reality, in a nutshell.

lobo9er
July 9, 2013, 09:14 PM
Had a TCP went back once for not ejecting, came back with light hammer strikes. traded it at gander for a BG380 and havent looked back. Last round hold open, real sights and an integral laser is what sold me. I bet the lasers on the front of the trigger guard work great but I just didnt like how it looked on either the LCP or sig 380.

Huh this is from april :) well theres my 2 dents too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bodygaurd vs LCP: Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!