NEF single shot shotgun...

PDA

slh02
February 2, 2003, 12:20 AM
When I was in elementary school, my best bud at the time had one of these in 20 gauge and we used to love it. I remember it not kicking too hard and that I could control it rather well despite my small stature. Since they are only about $90 new, I was thinking about picking up one in 20 gauge. I would like to know what everyone thinks about this gun. Now I realize that this is about as low end as you can get with firearms, but I honestly dont remember having any kind of problems while shooting my buds.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "NEF single shot shotgun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sam3
February 2, 2003, 01:01 AM
buy one, i think they last forever !

Dave McCracken
February 2, 2003, 07:03 AM
They're a lot of gun for the money. Lots of fun, too.

Lots of folks have used these as first shotguns. They are very light, which is good for toting but not for shooting. Avoiding 3" mag loads in these is a great idea.

Upside, they're durable,reliable,inexpensive and carry like a walking stick.

Downside,Felt Recoil can be fierce,the triggers are hard to work on and run heavy,and the muzzle light handling means one has to work to keep the swing swinging.

Having one of these for fun, woods running, a truck gun, etc, makes sense. Enjoy....

Ewok_Guy
February 2, 2003, 08:11 AM
Get one, you'll love it.
They are the AKs of shotguns.

slh02
February 2, 2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. Im almost thinking about getting the .410 over the 20... any thoughts on this? Again, this gun will be just about fun and I will probably not do anything serious with it. Which has the higher fun factor, the 20 or the .410?

Okiecruffler
February 3, 2003, 04:44 AM
I'd go 20, just due to the cost factor of those .410 shells. Biggest rip-off in ammo.

Dave McCracken
February 3, 2003, 06:01 AM
The 20's way more versatile,slh02. And the ammo's not only cheaper, but the variety's much greater.

I've seen a few of these made up into "Scout" shotguns. Some had skeletonized stocks, shortened barrels and custom paint jobs. A simple and cheap gun project.

Tropical Z
February 3, 2003, 12:18 PM
.410's shouldn't even be sold IMHO!

slh02
February 3, 2003, 07:09 PM
I went down to Wally World today and picked one up for around $85. I was really interested in the youth models for the shorter barrel, but the stock was just too small (and im a pretty small guy). I thought long and hard about the .410 and was about to get that one when I luckily happened to look at the price of the shells. $8.99 for 25 of those lil' buggers! After I saw that, I picked up the 20 gauge and got one of those 100 round value packs for $14.88. Although extremely dirty out of the box (cleaned 'er up real good), it seems to be built like a tank. I'm happy.:)

Stinger
February 3, 2003, 10:44 PM
Congrats on the new purchase!

Tell us how she shoots after you take her out for a spin.

Stinger

Dave McCracken
February 4, 2003, 05:27 AM
Enjoy, slh02. I hope those value pack loads are 7/8 oz. Heavy loads will take the fun out of it PDQ.

But, most cheapo 20 gauge loads are 7/8 oz, so BA/UU/R....

slh02
February 4, 2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah, they are 7/8 oz. loads. Hope to go out and shoot it tomorrow with a couple of buds. Ill let you all know how it goes. Its pretty funny that I'm this excited over this gun when I own much more expensive firearms. Anyway, Ill keep y'all updated!

Dave McCracken
February 4, 2003, 05:26 PM
slh02, I've never figured out what the attraction is for single barrel shotguns and slide action 22 rifles.

Break out either at a range and crowd will form, some of whom will jump over exotic and expensive firearms. And I'll be in that crowd.

One time back when instructing, I broke out a family 22, an old Savage pump with octagonal barrel. Two fellow instructors quit shooting a AR HB to ask me for a box of long rifles.

Maybe it's nostalgia...

Tropical Z
February 5, 2003, 01:16 PM
Good job!
I have an NEF 12 gauge and i love the simplicity.

slh02
February 6, 2003, 06:58 PM
Well I went out and fired it today. Let me just say that I had more fun with this gun than any other shotgun I have ever fired in my life. I didnt do any kind of pattern testing or anything, but I didnt have any kind of accuracy troubles at around 50 ft. I also must say that I like the 20 gauge round much better than the 12 gauge round. Not trying to start any kind of wars or anything, but I'm a small guy and the 20 gauge definitely has less kick. I fired all 100 rounds and my shoulder feels fine. I'm so happy that I decided to get this gun. Best 85 bucks I ever spent!!!

Dave McCracken
February 7, 2003, 08:52 AM
Great, enjoy!

Now BA/UU/R....

Kahr carrier
February 8, 2003, 06:57 AM
Congrats on your new purchase. Great training gun.:)

Scoob
February 9, 2003, 04:47 AM
I've got one in 12ga. It is a great gun for the money. Only problem I have had is a failure to eject some shells. Only with Winchester double X. I think it's the aluminum rims. I bought some Remington with the brass rim and had no trouble.

Gopher
February 9, 2003, 09:37 PM
I have a Handi Rifle and for grins ordered a rifled 12 ga. slug barrel for it. Chambered for 3in mags and has iron sights and will just punish you even with regular slugs or bird shot. It might work ok with a scope but the irons are set up in such a way you cant get a good cheek weld on the stock and see them. Still kinda neat to shoot though:p

six 4 sure
February 10, 2003, 08:22 AM
My first gun was a H&R 20ga (now NEF). Doesn't get used much, but will last for ever.

Six

Nightcrawler
February 10, 2003, 08:33 AM
I have an NEF Pardner with the barrel shortened to 20". It's now my home defense gun.

In a rash of stupidity, I fired about seven or eight 3" magnum shells through it, wearing naught but a t-shirt to cover my shoulder.

Long story short, I more or less lost use of that shoulder for the rest of the week. After shot 6, my arm started to tingle, and I had a screw-shaped welt in my shoulder (in the midst of a buttplate shaped bruise) for more than a week.

I bought a big, cushy, slip-on recoil pad from Wal-Mart and now consider that a necessary part of the gun. It's really fun to shoot, in any case.

pumpgunn
February 10, 2003, 01:56 PM
Have the NEF Handi Rifle in 3006 & with 135 gr handloads prints 1 inch
groups at 100yds. Since the rifle is 3006 NEF can fit any rifle/shotgun
barrel except the big 10 to the reciever. If you have a 10ga they can fit any barrel to the reciever. Have a 12 & 20 ga barrel for mine. You can select enough combinations to cover about any game animal. Get one and have fun.

nef4life
August 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
Don't care what anybody says about recoil or the single shots being a cheap gun I love mine I've been hunting with a nef 12 gauge for a lot of years and it's never failed couple years ago I took two grouse and a3x3 buck in a matter of half a day this bear season I tagged out in one hour of hunting nice bear at 30 yards with 3"mag slug RECOIL how bads bad it leavs a mark but its a gun and it does it's job I'll be useing mine this deer and elk season in my home stomping grounds here in western Oregun and I'm sure it will bag some game Thats my thouts on the N.E.F. single .........Thanks..........

MCgunner
August 19, 2009, 11:09 PM
Wow, talk about raised from the dead! LOL

Mines a little odd, a 10 gauge, 9 lbs in heft which is a good thing in 10 gauge. I got it for geese, works very well, simple as a rock and tough as one, too. I'm working on doubling with it just to impress my buddy and his BPS 10. :D Mine actually has a good trigger. I bought a 20 gauge for my daughter some time ago, trigger was so stiff she couldn't shoot it. Had a smith work on it, he got it light enough for her. Was an extra 30 bucks.

I really like my 10 gauge, though. It ain't no kid's gun! :D

GRIZ22
August 19, 2009, 11:16 PM
Now I realize that this is about as low end as you can get with firearms, but I honestly dont remember having any kind of problems while shooting my buds.

The single barrel shotgun is really the gun that won the West. Settlers who couldn't afford anything else bought one. Used it to hunt, fight Indians or outlaws or any other gun chores. They couldn't afford ammo for target practice and a shotgun made it easier to hit the target. If anything broke it was simple to fix.

You should have a single barrel in your entourage, at the price most are less expensive than a good dinner.

Bud Tugly
August 19, 2009, 11:21 PM
Single shot break opens are just about perfect for hunting in heavy cover. They're light to carry, fast pointing, and you're rarely going to get a second shot in that terrain anyway.

Simple and reliable and a big plus is that breaking it open is an immediate visual to fellow hunters that your gun is in "safe" mode. Everybody should own one and take it on a hunt once in a while just to stay in touch with shotgunning at its most basic level.

Blue Brick
August 20, 2009, 10:42 PM
+1 H&R Single shot.

Teacher75482
August 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
Man I was reading this from the begining for the first time. Then I saw 410 shells for 8.99 and thought WHERE!!!

Then checked the date. Bad boys are every bit if $15.00 for any decent 410 ammo.

MCgunner
August 21, 2009, 11:39 AM
I don't buy .410s too often. Only shoot 'em in my 10" Contender and it's not really hunting, just fartin' around. :D

Erik M
August 21, 2009, 05:19 PM
I have the NEF .410. I havent seen any aftermarket parts, save for generic stuff like fiberoptic beads and slip on recoil pads. Anyone see any aftermarket stocks out there for these guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "NEF single shot shotgun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!