reloading 5.56 pulldowns?

PDA

crazyponie
January 12, 2013, 04:02 PM
Please forgive me, I attempted searching the answer but couldnt find anything definate. I have been loading 45acp and 357 mag for the last year w/o issue but, decided to try my hand at rifle. I bought 500 pulldown LC at the local gun show and just want to make sure before I load it all up. First, it's mostly stamped LC 12 with the nato cross. I have measured a number of them and are right between 1.54 and 1.57. Can I just powder charge and seat the bullet? Being pulldowns will this be an issue w/ neck tension? These are going in a 5.56 chambered bolt rifle. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading 5.56 pulldowns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
January 12, 2013, 04:11 PM
i would neck size them

45lcshooter
January 12, 2013, 04:18 PM
I FL size everything. Then its all uniform. I hope you have a manual in front of you for trim lengths and powder charges.

For any rifle you want accuracy, so as much stuff that is uniform the better. Stick with a common length and trim the rest to that length and hold off on the ones that are to short for either using at a later time with other brass that length or to sell or pawn off for other brass and start measuring again.

But yes 223 is a load and go cartridge, you may need to crimp if the neck tension is not there.

crazyponie
January 12, 2013, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it but, it is still primed with the original primer. I have been using my lyman manual and was asking because it says trim to 1.75. Oops, I meant they averaged between 1.74 and 1.77.

NeuseRvrRat
January 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
if possible, remove your decapping pin and size them

blarby
January 12, 2013, 06:16 PM
I'd chamber a few, and measure a few more to make sure they are all uniform at the shoulder.

Then I'd just neck size 'em, and be on my way.

If you want to be Ultra OCD- De-Prime and FL size. Sounds like you don't want to be- and that is OK. You are essentially in the clear.

JLDickmon
January 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
if it was me, I'd full length size them.

Anybody else would probably just neck size them and be on their way.

IMtheNRA
January 12, 2013, 09:00 PM
Personally, I would full-length resize them without decapping. No way to know why that ammo was pulled down or how the brass was handled during and after disassembly.

I would also trim the brass after resizing.

crazyponie
January 13, 2013, 10:07 AM
Thank you for all the quick responses. I was kind of leaning towards neck sizing and loading but, did not want take the chance of getting any lube on the primer and ruining it. If I keep it minimal I should be ok. By the way, the company I purchased it from handles all types of mil. brass, projectiles, powder and loaded ammo. ( smammo.com ). I know once I go through this batch, I will have to FL resize, swage the pocket ect. before I can load it again. This company does that as well. I know with the current prices of everything I thought I didnt do to bad. $75.00 for the bag of 500 never fired, primed LC. I have three different powders to experiment with. H335, superformance and CFE 223. It should be fun.

CHALK22
January 13, 2013, 02:29 PM
Sizing lube should not have any effect on your primers.

Captaingyro
January 14, 2013, 02:36 PM
I have dealt with pulled down LC cases before, and just be aware that the bullet-pulling process can be a little tough on brass. It can be subtly (and sometimes not-so-subtly) deformed in the process. I would recommend FL sizing, especially if you're going to be shooting it in a semi-auto.

But wait...there's more good news. There may be pitch sealant left in the case mouths that will gradually gum up your expander ball as you go through the batch. About once every hundred cases, pull your expander and check it. It it's coated with tar, soak it for a few minutes in turpentine or mineral spirits, then brush and wipe it off.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading 5.56 pulldowns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!