Ruger Pro Gun Petition

PDA

Matthew Temkin
January 12, 2013, 04:10 PM
http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Pro Gun Petition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birch Knoll
January 12, 2013, 06:41 PM
The idea is good, but politicians don't really credit form letters like this. You'll have a much greater effect if you write your own letters (yes, email is fine) than if you use this sort of thing.

splithoof
January 12, 2013, 07:50 PM
I like Ruger products a whole bunch, but I find it ironic that they are promoting such a pitch after their founder elected to restrict the sales of some magazines to all but police and military. Granted, they have improved since his passing, and I hope they are successful. If they are this involved, there must be some real worry at their corporate level.

Ohio Gun Guy
January 12, 2013, 07:58 PM
I think it could matter. I have written to my reps many times. i typically get form e-mails or letters in return. However, In the machinery of politics my belief is that the underlings hardly read what you write anyway, but they do summarize it and keep score. Therefore, every letter, even though its a form letter will geot a tick mark in the "against" column.

Doesnt take long... DO IT :D:D

Birch Knoll
January 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
No. Every individually-wrtten letter gets a tick in the 'against' column. Every 100 form letters get also gets one tick.

Atbat82
January 12, 2013, 08:13 PM
No. Every individually-wrtten letter gets a tick in the 'against' column. Every 100 form letters get also gets one tick.

Who told you this?

Sent from my iPhone

Birch Knoll
January 12, 2013, 08:16 PM
Ask any Legislative Coordinator on Capitol Hill. Form letters are mostly disregarded. They know damn well they're astroturf, and that you spent 5 seconds to send it off. That's the measure of your committment, and they know it.

Write your own letter, in your own words. Even if it's just a few sentences, it'll count for more than a pile of identical form letters.

Birch Knoll
January 12, 2013, 08:19 PM
Here's advice from a from a former LC:

* Don't send form letters. Form letters are letters that special interest groups will send in on your behalf. You'll usually get them in an email and all you have to do is type in your name and hit 'send.' They all look identical, and the staff knows that you put absolutely zero thought into the issue, and therefore will assume that you probably don't give that big of a ****. When the boss asks if he's getting any mail on a certain issue, he often asks how much of it is form letters, and how much of it is real letters. Real letters (while rarely read by the member of Congress) are still a lot more powerful in the grand scheme of things.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6347-Advice-for-those-of-you-writing-your-Congressional-delegation

Atbat82
January 12, 2013, 09:51 PM
Good to know. On this issue I've done both, but in the past, on other issues, I've stopped at form letters. Appreciate the info!

Sent from my iPhone

Atbat82
January 12, 2013, 09:57 PM
Duplicate post. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Pro Gun Petition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!