Building a bolt...

PDA

Chris-bob
January 12, 2013, 05:52 PM
So my brother has a Savage Model 3 with no bolt. Was thinking about getting with my dad and building him a bolt for his birthday. My dad is a Machinist. Been one since '64. All we know is the Model 3 bolt is different from all the later sub models. Anyone know how different?

If you enjoyed reading about "Building a bolt..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris-bob
January 15, 2013, 04:35 AM
I guess I should ask a different question. Is there anything we should know before we start the build?

hoghunting
January 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
Hope you're planning on hardening the bolt or the lugs could shear off during firing and implant the bolt into someone's head. Good luck with your build.

Chris-bob
January 16, 2013, 03:40 AM
Yup, definitely will do. Anyone with a pic of the bolt? We actually have the main body, but it's a little messed up.

lefteyedom
January 19, 2013, 03:10 AM
there is a Savage Model 3 listed on GB right now for $175...

Buy the rifle, duplicate the bolt, then sell the rifle or keep it so you and your brother can have a matching pair of rifles

Chris-bob
January 19, 2013, 03:24 AM
Darn. The one listed is a Model 3D. They changed the bolt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Building a bolt..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!